Start by marking “Honestly” as Want to Read:
Honestly

Honestly

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  16 reviews
I know firsthand the desperation a human soul can feel when every earthly remedy fails. I also know how powerfully God can intervene when we fall on our faces before him. Sheila Walsh Talented and beautiful, Sheila Walsh seemed to be on top of the world. But behind her public success as a performing artist and talk show host, a private story was unfolding. Unable to cope w ...more
Published May 20th 1997 by Zondervan (first published February 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Honestly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honestly

Debbie Phillips
Feb 01, 2013 Debbie Phillips rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Adult Christians
Shelves: spiritual
This is a really good book. Sorry this is a long review but it was a really good book and really affected me, more than I thought it would.

It is an autobiography/memoir type book about Sheila's struggle with clinical depression. I read this book, firstly, because it was from my cousin who died from cancer last year. She allowed me, a couple years ago, to choose some books from her shelves that she was done with... this was one of them. I also read it, and chose it from her shelves, because the t
Becki
Feb 11, 2015 Becki added it
Shelves: book-collector
This book isnt from my bookshelves either (Im not doing so great on that challenge). But I saw Sheila Walsh speak back in March and just really connected to her message. She has been through the ringer and come out victorious in Jesus and her relationship with God. I could relate to so many things she said that I just wanted to read everything shes written trying to find additional help for myself.\n\nSo I got this book from the library. It is basically her story from one of the lowest points of ...more
Georgia Herod
Having heard bits and pieces of Sheila Walsh's clinical depression as she shared in Women of Faith events and having listened to her lovely voice singing great hymns of the faith, I was eager to read Honestly, in which she transparently reveals her successful career and her falling into depression and entering a psychiatric hospital for treatment. It is her "journey of a soul as it moved from hopelessness, to honesty, to freedom, and ultimately, to a deepened faith and joy."

Walsh emphasizes how
Suzanne Elizabeth Anderson
Sharing one's battle with depression takes courage. Especially when you are a public figure, and most especially when so many in the Christian community still regard depression as something to be hidden or as a sign of failure. Sheila Walsh does a wonderful job of sharing her journey with honestly and humility.
Lorraine
Wow. Really got a lot of helpful suggestions. What a lovely lady Sheila Walsh is to share such intimate details of her struggle! Time very well spent.
Jaclynn
Sheila’s life looked perfect from the outside, she was helping many people find the Lord, a sort of “celebrity” to many but then after gradually unraveling she came to a point where she needed to seek the help of others and to honestly look at herself in the light of God’s grace. This is an excellent book!
Joanne Chantelau
I loved this book, for some reason...it was hard to put down. I think it was a timely read for me, but so interesting to hear an honest viewpoint on depression, psych units, counseling, and the things that trouble the soul. It really was honest and I liked it.
Beverly Jordan
In honestly, Sheila Walsh opens up about her battle with depression and her time spent in a hospital for emotional treatment. Walsh beard her soul and gives hope that one can overcome their emotional disorders with the help of God.
Allison Jordan
I appreciate Sheila's transparency! What a beautiful testimony that she shares with us through her struggle with clinical depression. I encourage any of you struggling with depression or anxiety to read this book. There is hope in Christ!
Becky
I heard Sheila Walsh recently on Focus on the Family and ended up being much more moved by the radio interview than by the book -- but maybe that has something to do with the fact that I heard the radio interview first.
Samantha
This bio of Sheila Walsh is very gripping and hard to put down. She's extremely honest about all that "went wrong" in her life and all the battles she went through. Sheila's life looked perfect on the outside but it wasn't!
PJ
Open, honest, just what I need right now. I'm currently on Chapter 6 about Shame. Hitting home!!
Great book for those going through depression or those wanting to understand a loved one going through it.
Steve
For me, Sheila uses a lot of words to say nothing. This is supposed to be an honest autobiographic account, but there is really nothing of substance in the book.
Paula
Wow this is an amazing book. She puts into truthful words what I and sure others go through.
Techno_kitty
Sheila opened up her heart and shared her battle with depression. Very good book.
Shelly Cameron
One of the best books I've ever read. She lays it out based on her life, honestly!
Manda
Manda marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Dixie
Dixie is currently reading it
Apr 20, 2015
Carrie Larrabee
Carrie Larrabee marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Mariana
Mariana marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Gail
Gail marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Ails Casis
Ails Casis is currently reading it
Apr 12, 2015
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Brandy Smith
Brandy Smith marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
LUBA
LUBA marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Alma Torres
Alma Torres marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
  • A Step Further: growing closer to God through hurt and hardship
  • Brokenness: The Heart God Revives
  • Sick and Tired of Feeling Sick and Tired: Living with Invisible Chronic Illness
  • Games of the Hangman
  • The World as I Remember It: Through the Eyes of a Ragamuffin
  • When God Breaks Your Heart: Choosing Hope in the Midst of Faith-Shattering Circumstances
  • Bo: Life, Laughs, and Lessons of a College Football Legend
  • Mountain Rain: A Biography of James O. Fraser: Pioneer Missionary to China
  • Quantum Web (Nolan Kilkenny Mystery, #2)
  • The Law of the Garbage Truck: How to Respond to People Who Dump on You, and How to Stop Dumping on Others
  • Falling Into Place: A Memoir of Overcoming
  • The Lessons of Love: Rediscovering Our Passion for Live When It All Seems Too Hard to Take
  • A New Kind of Normal: Hope-Filled Choices When Life Turns Upside Down
  • Ten Minutes from Normal
  • Radical Self-Acceptance: A Buddhist Guide to Freeing Yourself from Shame
  • Nurture: Positioning God's Daughters to Flourish
  • Albatross: The True Story of a Woman's Survival at Sea
  • Lillian Trasher: The Greatest Wonder in Egypt

Sheila Walsh (05-07-1956) is a powerful communicator, Bible teacher, and best-selling author with more than 4 million books sold. A featured speaker with Women of Faith, Sheila has reached more than 3.5 million women by artistically combining honesty, vulnerability, and humor with God's Word.

Author of the best-s
More about Sheila Walsh...
Angel Song Beautiful Things Happen When A Woman Trusts God The Shelter of God's Promises Sweet Sanctuary Get Off Your Knees & Pray: A Woman's Guide to Life-Changing Prayer