Start by marking “Honestly” as Want to Read:
Honestly

Honestly

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  152 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
“I know firsthand the desperation a human soul can feel when every earthly remedy fails. I also know how powerfully God can intervene when we fall on our faces before him.”
—Sheila Walsh

Talented and beautiful, Sheila Walsh seemed to be on top of the world. But behind her public success as a performing artist and talk show host, a private story was unfolding. Unable to cope
Published May 20th 1997 by Zondervan (first published February 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Honestly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honestly

Debbie Phillips
Feb 01, 2013 Debbie Phillips rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Adult Christians
Shelves: spiritual
This is a really good book. Sorry this is a long review but it was a really good book and really affected me, more than I thought it would.

It is an autobiography/memoir type book about Sheila's struggle with clinical depression. I read this book, firstly, because it was from my cousin who died from cancer last year. She allowed me, a couple years ago, to choose some books from her shelves that she was done with... this was one of them. I also read it, and chose it from her shelves, because the t
Becki
Feb 11, 2015 Becki added it
Shelves: book-collector
This book isnt from my bookshelves either (Im not doing so great on that challenge). But I saw Sheila Walsh speak back in March and just really connected to her message. She has been through the ringer and come out victorious in Jesus and her relationship with God. I could relate to so many things she said that I just wanted to read everything shes written trying to find additional help for myself.\n\nSo I got this book from the library. It is basically her story from one of the lowest points of ...more
Georgia Herod
Nov 21, 2013 Georgia Herod rated it it was amazing
Having heard bits and pieces of Sheila Walsh's clinical depression as she shared in Women of Faith events and having listened to her lovely voice singing great hymns of the faith, I was eager to read Honestly, in which she transparently reveals her successful career and her falling into depression and entering a psychiatric hospital for treatment. It is her "journey of a soul as it moved from hopelessness, to honesty, to freedom, and ultimately, to a deepened faith and joy."

Walsh emphasizes how
Jamie
Jul 15, 2015 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful story about overcoming our struggles. It was heartwarming to read a story about someone going through similar struggles who is deep in Christian faith. I think it helped me to realize that I need to rely on my faith but also that faith alone won't always carry us through those tough times. This book was a true inspiration to me
Suzanne Elizabeth Anderson
Feb 18, 2015 Suzanne Elizabeth Anderson rated it it was amazing
Sharing one's battle with depression takes courage. Especially when you are a public figure, and most especially when so many in the Christian community still regard depression as something to be hidden or as a sign of failure. Sheila Walsh does a wonderful job of sharing her journey with honestly and humility.
Lorraine
Jun 16, 2014 Lorraine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Really got a lot of helpful suggestions. What a lovely lady Sheila Walsh is to share such intimate details of her struggle! Time very well spent.
Jaclynn
Jan 17, 2008 Jaclynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2007
Sheila’s life looked perfect from the outside, she was helping many people find the Lord, a sort of “celebrity” to many but then after gradually unraveling she came to a point where she needed to seek the help of others and to honestly look at herself in the light of God’s grace. This is an excellent book!
Joanne Chantelau
Sep 08, 2011 Joanne Chantelau rated it really liked it
I loved this book, for some reason...it was hard to put down. I think it was a timely read for me, but so interesting to hear an honest viewpoint on depression, psych units, counseling, and the things that trouble the soul. It really was honest and I liked it.
Beverly Jordan
Jul 23, 2011 Beverly Jordan rated it it was amazing
In honestly, Sheila Walsh opens up about her battle with depression and her time spent in a hospital for emotional treatment. Walsh beard her soul and gives hope that one can overcome their emotional disorders with the help of God.
Allison Jordan
Feb 17, 2013 Allison Jordan rated it it was amazing
I appreciate Sheila's transparency! What a beautiful testimony that she shares with us through her struggle with clinical depression. I encourage any of you struggling with depression or anxiety to read this book. There is hope in Christ!
Becky
Mar 07, 2012 Becky rated it it was ok
I heard Sheila Walsh recently on Focus on the Family and ended up being much more moved by the radio interview than by the book -- but maybe that has something to do with the fact that I heard the radio interview first.
Samantha
Mar 17, 2008 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This bio of Sheila Walsh is very gripping and hard to put down. She's extremely honest about all that "went wrong" in her life and all the battles she went through. Sheila's life looked perfect on the outside but it wasn't!
PJ
Nov 17, 2012 PJ rated it it was amazing
Open, honest, just what I need right now. I'm currently on Chapter 6 about Shame. Hitting home!!
Great book for those going through depression or those wanting to understand a loved one going through it.
Steve
Sep 25, 2012 Steve rated it did not like it
For me, Sheila uses a lot of words to say nothing. This is supposed to be an honest autobiographic account, but there is really nothing of substance in the book.
Paula
Mar 03, 2012 Paula rated it it was amazing
Wow this is an amazing book. She puts into truthful words what I and sure others go through.
Techno_kitty
Jul 18, 2009 Techno_kitty rated it really liked it
Sheila opened up her heart and shared her battle with depression. Very good book.
Shelly Cameron
Jan 12, 2013 Shelly Cameron rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've ever read. She lays it out based on her life, honestly!
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Madena Burman
Madena Burman rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Carly
Carly marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Sunflower
Sunflower marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
David
David rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Gavin Cox
Gavin Cox marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Christine Murdock
Christine Murdock marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Jody Phillips
Jody Phillips rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
  • I Grew Up Little: Finding Hope in a Big God
  • Brother Andrew: God's Secret Agent
  • A Step Further: growing closer to God through hurt and hardship
  • Life Sentence
  • Quantum Web (Nolan Kilkenny Mystery, #2)
  • If It Hurts, It Isn't Love: And 365 Other Principles to Heal and Transform Your Relationships
  • Shadow Flight
  • NIV Women of Faith Study Bible: Experience the Liberating Grace of God
  • Brokenness: The Heart God Revives
  • The Einstein Papers (John Taft, #1)
  • Green Leaf In Drought
  • Albatross: The True Story of a Woman's Survival at Sea
  • Sick and Tired of Feeling Sick and Tired: Living with Invisible Chronic Illness
  • The Invisible Force: 365 Ways to Apply the Power of Intention to Your Life
  • Life After Loss: A Practical Guide To Renewing Your Life After Experiencing Major Loss
  • The Secret Generations (Secret Families, #1)
  • Ten Minutes from Normal
  • Spiritual Warfare: Christians, Demonization, and Deliverance

Sheila Walsh (05-07-1956) is a powerful communicator, Bible teacher, and best-selling author with more than 4 million books sold. A featured speaker with Women of Faith, Sheila has reached more than 3.5 million women by artistically combining honesty, vulnerability, and humor with God's Word.

Author of the best-s
More about Sheila Walsh...