Start by marking “Writing Creative Nonfiction” as Want to Read:
Writing Creative Nonfiction

Writing Creative Nonfiction

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  211 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Experience the power and the promise of working in today' most exciting literary form: Creative Nonfiction"Writing Creative Nonfiction" presents more than thirty essays examining every key element of the craft, from researching ideas and structuring the story, to reportage and personal reflection. You'll learn from some of today's top creative nonfiction writers, including ...more
Published May 10th 2001 by Writer's Digest Books (first published April 18th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Writing Creative Nonfiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Creative Nonfiction

Tabitha Blankenbiller
Apr 07, 2011 Tabitha Blankenbiller rated it really liked it
It took me longer than I’d hoped, but I finally finished the lengthy Writing Creative Nonfiction collection. The book is divided into two sections: essays dedicated to the craft of writing, and examples of essays and short stories written by authors who personify these skills. The mix of inspiration and instruction make this a good resource for new MFA students (like myself).

It was fascinating to see Brenda Miller’s take on the braided essay in A Braided Heart: Shaping the Lyric Essay. In it she
Zachary Guthrie
Feb 20, 2013 Zachary Guthrie rated it really liked it
I contend the book brought a sense of psychological experience as opposed to reality. The conflict in the auhtor's minds (in most of the pieces) reflected a perception of reality instead of reality itself. This book's reading reflect this concept. One author even wrote a piece describing his own body--I strongly recommend not reading that particular piece thought. Too much detail.

Throughout the book, I found some ideas to be brash, controversial, and gratuitious at times. However, some of the o
Cheryl
Oct 08, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfic
Half how-to essays and half anthology of creative nonfiction, this had some worthy material in it, even though I don't aspire to the exact sort of creative nonfiction the writers had in mind. I found Phillip Lopate's "Writing Personal Essays: on the Necessity of Turning Yourself into a Character" particulatly helpful, as was the insight of "The Loneliness of the Long-distance Writer" by Robin Hemley (I will be watchful for the 100-page hump in the future). I enjoyed Annie Dillard's "Flying in th ...more
John Maberry
Mar 12, 2008 John Maberry rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: New writers, especially of memoirs and other forms of creative nonfiction
Recommended to John by: Joann Glenn
Shelves: on-writing
This book may not be 100% comprehensive (a tad redundant, perhaps), but if there is any other one out there that has more to offer on addressing the varieties of style, structure, form and the creative nonfiction process, I haven't seen it. Being new to the business in 2003 when I began working on Waiting for Westmoreland in earnest, I found the instuctions and insights illuminating, inspiring and confusing all at once. How to choose?! I felt like Alice on her journey after the rabbit. Still, it ...more
John Liber
Mar 10, 2012 John Liber rated it really liked it
Shelves:

With essays the likes of "On the Necessity of Turning Oneself Into a Character", "Researching Your Own Life", and "Taking Yourself Out of the Story", this is a good read if you're at all interested in writing about your life. The essays are are also followed by exercises.
Robinvk
Aug 28, 2008 Robinvk rated it liked it
I only read the essays on topics that interest me so can't review the whole book...it's a big enough collection to sift through for what you need. Well-edited, relevant, strong contributors.
Gwyn
May 31, 2009 Gwyn rated it it was ok
Some of the craft essays were useful, but overall the extreme emphasis on socal/political essays rendered the book largely irrelevant to the kind of work I prefer to read and write.
Alison
Jan 26, 2012 Alison rated it it was ok
Shelves: cnf
I couldn't really get into it--I read the Gutkind essay and skimmed the rest--mainly because I just have too much stuff to read right now and this was due back to the library.
Rachel
Jun 19, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This anthology has a good mix of practical essays, like the one about legal matters particular to nonfiction writers, and artsy creative pieces. Represents the genre pretty well.
Larry Mingione
Jan 28, 2013 Larry Mingione rated it really liked it
The authors of the essays in this book also contributed a piece of nonfiction to the volume. You can see if they follow their own advice!
Jackie Day
Jun 18, 2013 Jackie Day rated it really liked it
Learned way more than I thought I would. Now... finding time to apply?
Yvonne Shine
Jul 12, 2014 Yvonne Shine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: writers, students interested in writing
Interesting anthology of creative nonfiction; added to my library.
Taymara Stephania  Jagmohan
I mistakenly removed this book. (oh dear).

Started well though.
Jenni
Aug 09, 2007 Jenni rated it liked it
Good. Essays by a dozen different writers. Also exercises.
Pauline Youd
Interesting examples. Good instruction.
Holli B
Mar 01, 2008 Holli B rated it it was ok
my-books
Agnes
Agnes marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Dennis Fleming
Dennis Fleming rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Katy
Katy is currently reading it
Apr 18, 2016
Devin
Devin is currently reading it
Apr 28, 2016
Laura Moberg
Laura Moberg is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2016
Anthrochiq  n2 Art
Anthrochiq n2 Art marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Gayantha
Gayantha rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Sean Norris
Sean Norris marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Kristen Blackbeard
Kristen Blackbeard marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Bernard
Bernard rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Sandra Davis
Sandra Davis marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
  • Tell It Slant: Writing and Shaping Creative Nonfiction
  • Keep It Real: Everything You Need to Know About Researching and Writing Creative Nonfiction
  • Now Write! Nonfiction: Memoir, Journalism and Creative Nonfiction Exercises from Today's Best Writers
  • The Fourth Genre: Contemporary Writers Of/On Creative Nonfiction
  • Creative Nonfiction: Researching and Crafting Stories of Real Life
  • Telling True Stories: A Nonfiction Writers' Guide from the Nieman Foundation at Harvard University
  • Damn! Why Didnt I Write That?: How Ordinary People are Raking in $100,000.00 or More Writing Nonfiction Books & How You Can Too!
  • The Situation and the Story: The Art of Personal Narrative
  • Writing the Memoir: From Truth to Art, Second Edit
  • Narrative Design: Working with Imagination, Craft, and Form
  • Fiction Writer's Workshop
  • Your Life as Story
  • Writing for Story: Craft Secrets of Dramatic Nonfiction
  • Travel Writing: See the World. Sell the Story.
  • Writer's Digest Handbook of Magazine Article Writing
  • The Writer's Digest Handbook of Short Story Writing
  • Old Friend from Far Away: The Practice of Writing Memoir
  • The Art of the Poetic Line
Carolyn Forché was born in Detroit, Michigan, in 1950. She studied at Michigan State University and earned an MFA from Bowling Green State University. Forché is the author of four books of poetry: Blue Hour (HarperCollins, 2004); The Angel of History (1994), which received the Los Angeles Times Book Award; The Country Between Us (1982), which received the Poetry Society of America's Alice Fay di C ...more
More about Carolyn Forché...