Start by marking “The Walking Dead, Vol. 02: Miles Behind Us” as Want to Read:
The Walking Dead, Vol. 02: Miles Behind Us

The Walking Dead, Vol. 02: Miles Behind Us (The Walking Dead #2)

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  29,339 Ratings  ·  1,310 Reviews
An epidemic of apocalyptic proportions has swept the globe, causing the dead to rise and feed on the living. In a matter of months, society has crumbled: There is no government, no grocery stores, no mail delivery, no cable TV. In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally begin living. This volume follows our band of survivors on their tragic journey in search of ...more
Published March 25th 2009 by Image Comics (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Walking Dead, Vol. 02, please sign up.

RosemareeAnn How are you on the second volume if you couldn't figure out the first one?
RosemareeAnn That is what is so amazing about the series. It follows the development of these characters. It makes them feel so much like real people with how they…moreThat is what is so amazing about the series. It follows the development of these characters. It makes them feel so much like real people with how they react to different situations. I think Robert Kirkman has a little note about this at the beginning of the first volume.(less)

Stephen
NEWSFLASH #1 There are A LOT of books about zombies.
NEWSFLASH #2 There are A LOT of books about zombies sporting whole bags full of suck.
NEWSFLASH #3 This graphic novel (what we superhero nerds call comics to sound less spandexy) is completely devoid of suck and is among the best written, most intelligent zombie stories ever.
NEWSFLASH #4 I really, really like it.

It’s a pretty basic set-up. Some mysterio plague-like phenom has caused zombieitis to break out and turn most of the world into mind
Alejandro
The Walking Dead continues!

This is the second volume of the softcover editions of "The Walking Dead", collecting the comic book issues from #7 to #12.

Creative Team:

Writer: Robert Kirkman

Illustrators: Charlie Adlard

Additional gray tones to inking: Cliff Rathburn

Chapter Two

MILES BEHIND US

Okay... What the hell are we going to do now?

The body count started on the first chapter making them to realize that ANYBODY may be the next one to fall, no character is truly safe here.

No one is safe in t
Delee
Dec 22, 2015 Delee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This one starts during the holiday season. How fitting. There is nothing like people being killed by zombies, to put one in the Christmas spirit. :)

Meeeeeeeerry Christmas!!!
Bookdragon Sean
Insanity is clearly going to be a major theme through this story. I really like the way everyone’s stability is being tested. These graphic novels aren’t just a simple zombie beat down, they’re that too, but the real story is with the characters; it’s about how they learn to carry on and cope with their probable deaths at the hands of a pack of hungry zombies.

description

Simply put, those that are weak will not survive. Only those that are willing to let go of the past, and live in the new world, have any
Jessica (priceiswong)
Really, really good! I still think these comics are much better than the show... I didn't like the artwork as much in this one, however? Is this a new Illustrator? Excited to continue on and read more!
Laurie –A Court of Books–
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

I liked this comic less than the first one. The thing is that I can't stop myself from comparing it to the TV show and it didn't live up to my expectations. There will be spoilers of both the TV show and the comics below.

What disappointed me the most during my reading is the relationship between the characters. It felt either botched or false. I couldn't connect to the couples, not to the new ones, nor to those that are actually developed in the TV show.

* Andrea / Dale *
Brad
Dec 27, 2010 Brad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bronte & Ceridwen & Amber
I admit it: some of Robert Kirkman's dialogue is crap.

I admit it: The Walking Dead descends into cheesy soap territory from time to time.

I admit it: some of Chris Adlard's art seems sloppy and rushed.

I admit it: the AMC series adapting this into something even better than its source material.

I admit it: I am a massive geek.

BUT ...

Every once in a while Kirkman hits a patch of dialogue, almost always at a critical character moment, that rings emotionally pitch perfect. Take this moment between
Sparrow
Jan 02, 2012 Sparrow rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Second City
Recommended to Sparrow by: Katie
BANG! POW! SHAZAM! Who wants a gun?

We do!

You’re babies and convicted felons!

We don’t care! There are zombies! We need to kill humans!

Wait, but you said the guns were for the zom . . . Oh, whatever, okay, here are your guns. BUT WHATEVER YOU DO DON’T TAKE THEM OUT OF YOUR HOLSTERS!

(scene)

(people make chagrinned faces.)

(zombies say, “Gar.”)

Not that you would know what to say anyway, but I’m going to make a long speech about feelings right now, so don’t interrupt me because we’re all old men her
Brendon Schrodinger
Volume 1 finished with the gang leaving their campsite outside Atlanta following the showdown between Rick and his police partner Shane and Carl, Rick's son. Only two made it out alive. This, the oncoming winter and the realisation that civilisation is not going to just going to reboot itself.

So off they all go in the RV, the stinky overfilled beat-up RV. But it's reliable.

There are two story lines here. One where they come across something that seems perfect and the other where someone gets inj
Justin
Dec 12, 2015 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boy howdy, business really picked up in this one. There was tons of arguing, cussing, love-making, yelling, whispering, shooting, killing more zombies, zombies killing more people, etc. all throughout the book.

I think where this ends is about where I abandoned the TV show. This was a fast-paced page-turner, but I felt like the site dragged on too long. I'm anxious to see what happens from here since there should be some new storylines to uncover for the first time.

Boy howdy.
Scarlet Cameo
Mucho mejor que el volumen anterior.

Hay momentos de pasividad, con muy pocas cosas pasando, y otros que son mucho más activos (y no hablo sólo de los zombies). La historia entro y salió rápidamente de la granja, lo cual me agrada porque estar en ese lugar seguro hace que realmente todo se torne en el estilo de telenovela (los dramas familiares toman fuerza, la personalidad de los personajes no cambia porque no hay razones para que lo haga, todos se emparejan) y la verdad es que eso no me intere
Wren | WrensReads
WrensReads Review:

So the art changed in this book, and I am pretty sure the rest of the series is drawn this way. It is really something. I wish I had enough talent in me to draw.

Welcome to a version of season 2 of The Walking Dead AMC. Where the barn is full of walkers, Maggie is annoying as ever (she gets better, don't worry), and Hershel believes that everything is just a phase and a cure will be drawn up soon.

Maggie has a lot more siblings, Otis isn't cutely over weight, Shane is already dea
Jul 21, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this comic series. I like how it focuses on the people and the psychological side of how people could react in a zombie apocalypse. Everyone is pretty much having sex, getting munched on or shouting at one another and I think that's pretty realistic. The artwork in this volume was not as good as the volume 1 artwork by Tony Moore. I've gotten used to it at this stage but I see Tony Moore's artwork for the covers and I just want him back! I also wish it was in colour but that's just ...more
Becky
There's always a crazy... *SMH*

It's been a little bit since I read the first volume, and so, as usual, I was a bit concerned that I might have forgotten stuff. And I did, a little... but it's still early in the series and we're still getting to know the main characters anyway, so there's enough info about them to get along with. I do think that I'm going to have to pick up the pace on reading these though!

Again I really liked the artwork - I love the black and white of the compendium - it kind
Sesana
May 24, 2012 Sesana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, zombies
For much of the volume, this could just as easily be post-nuclear, or post-plague. That's a compliment, because The Walking Dead isn't as much about the zombies as it is about how people survive and adapt. The survivors find love and lose people they care for, and nearly lose them. They find safe harbors that aren't really, and wind up back where they began. It's all very realistically done, and I ended up feeling attached to these people, flawed as they may be.

But there are zombies after all.
Brittany

***Horror Buddy Read with the Shallow Readers! This week's criteria: creepy creepers and walkers***

I really enjoyed this volume. For me it is a bit difficult to differentiate between the TV show and the comics sometimes, but I'm getting better.

While the artwork is sometimes a bit off for me, some scenes just bleed emotion. I feel their longing for survival, their grief over loved ones, their love and anger for each other. This is just as good as the show. I can see the hype that surrounds this e
Darren Hagan
Nov 11, 2015 Darren Hagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it. It's so good and gritty and real!
Sam Quixote
AARRRGH, the zombie apocalypse continues! Rick and his miserable band of survivors leave their camp outside Atlanta and potter about the devastated countryside looking for a safe place to stay. They find an abandoned gated community that looks safe… AAAAARGGGH! ZOMBIES!!! Then they find a farm that looks safe… AARRRRGH! MORE ZOMBIES!!! Then they find a prison that looks safe… probably AAARGH! EVEN MORE ZOMBIES (we’ll find out in Volume 3)!!!!! So yeah, pretty repetitive and predictable stuff - b ...more
Lindsey Lynn
Jan 10, 2016 Lindsey Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kirk Kowalkowski
The book is ALWAYS better than the movie (or in this case, the TV show), right? I thought so too, so after falling head over heels for The Walking Dead on TV, I had very high hopes for the comic books. I picked up Days Gone By, and was really let down. Reading it felt like watching Season One in fast forward. There's a real lack of story or character development. It's just this happened, then this happened, then this happened, as if the panels were rationed for each event. After finishing volume ...more
Anthony Chavez
While I love the story and the characters this volume's illustrators were different and it was a bit difficult to tell some of the characters apart, at times I confused Dale and Herschel, other times I confused almost all the women.

This volume touched on finding a safe home to live and regrow, settle down. Everyone wants to go back to how things were and it looks like the reality and weight of things is sinking in. The group encounters a family on a farm that wants to protect themselves and have
Taschima
Yes, I am one of those people who got hooked on the TV Show before they found their way to the comic book. And maybe because of that is that I find myself liking the TV Show more than the comic book, for now at least. I've only read Vol.2 (my local library didn't have vol.1), but already I can see some ways in which the TV Show excels more than the comic book.

Like for example...

-Seeing the zombies coming, and attacking people is much more exciting on the TV Show.

-The comic moves WAY too fast! Ho
I was disappointed to see that this book was illustrated by a different person. He has a totally different style, heavy on the shading, which actually made it hard to tell the difference between two of the women. In fact, one of them begins a relationship with someone and I was flipping back, exclaiming "I thought she had a husband and kids!" before I realized it was another woman. (Part of the problem was me being unobservant, but still...)

Also, oh, the sexism. "Especially the women" was kind
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

I think this one is better than the first. I really like Tyresse and Glenn, and even characters like Rick are growing on me. However, the rest of the characters are kinda interchangeable and weren't easy to tell apart. Also, there are a LOT of dialogue bubbles that serve to provide the exposition. At a point, it feels like overload, sorta like:

"As you know, Bob, Alice was a doctor at Mercy Hospital."

"I know, Corey. Remember that time last week where we all got together and forgot o
Jonathan
Jun 30, 2015 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
There's an interesting point in this graphic novel where the characters comment about how crazy it is as to what people are capable of under pressure. For instance: best friends turning on each other and kindly old men wanting to rape younger women. This made me stop for a second, because, as part of my world view I don't believe that people are inherently good but inherently evil. I believe that we are evil because we are so focused on our own selves and not on what God wants. Occasionally we r ...more
courtney
Feb 28, 2015 courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Volume 2 contains Issues #7-12

I noticed that in the first two volumes of The Walking Dead, an entire season of the show has passed... It's really fast paced and i'm not even sure how much time has passed. It does give you everything that you need to know, and not any of the boring information. But for scenes like Glenn and Maggie exclaiming their love for one another, It seems like it happened so fast, like in a few days. More than likely they were at Hershel's for a few weeks, and their relatio
Reanna
May 06, 2016 Reanna rated it really liked it
I'm enjoying this whole new Walking Dead world so far. Yes, there's most of the familiar crew around which quickly allowed me to be attached, at least to the people. If you sort of forget that the show exists, it makes the reading more enjoyable. That was my experience at least.

I'm not going to comment on specifics just to avoid potential spoilers....but at this point, come on, get on the train already. I'm only kidding, a little, but if you have the tiniest desire to check these out, go for it
Dylan Williams
Nov 09, 2014 Dylan Williams rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Classic case of second book in a series that just isn't as good as the first

Don't get me wrong, I am still really liking this series... I just felt that the pacing in this volume was a bit strange, so much happened. Like an entire seasons worth of the TV show! I just wasn't a fan of how quickly everything moved along.

Still loving the artwork, characters and super intense plot and even if I am sensing some serious insta-love that is about to occur... On to the next volume I say!
Monica
As has been noted by many other reviewers here, the art changes significantly in the second issue and it left me feeling a lot less empathetic. I don't think I'm going to read any more of these because I'm finding the zombie angle less compelling, the dialog dense, the panels too small, and the sexism is bordering on overwhelming. Yeah, I think I'm done.
Kaimynas
This was better in a lot of ways, compared to first volume. There were more space for characters to breathe and show their personality a bit more.
Also it started to dvelve into psychological and social stuff a bit more, and shows how hard is to let go of the past, not only people you lost, but lyfestile you were used to, as people still try to clinge to it no matter how dellusional it looks.
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 9: Motherland (Y: The Last Man, #9)
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 4: Keys to the Kingdom
  • The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks
  • Fables, Vol. 2: Animal Farm
  • Chew, Vol. 6: Space Cakes
  • Sweet Tooth, Volume 5: Unnatural Habitats
  • Revival, Vol. 3: A Faraway Place
  • The Boys, Volume 3: Good For The Soul
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 2: Dark Days
More about Robert Kirkman...

The Walking Dead (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 01: Days Gone Bye