Start by marking “Memoirs” as Want to Read:
Memoirs

Memoirs

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Pierre Trudeau was prime minister of Canada from 1968 to 1979 and from 1980 to 1984. This is his story, told in his own words.

Take a look through the book. When you do, you will find that this remarkable memoir has many qualities. It is:

PERSONAL
As if he were sitting across the table from you, Pierre Trudeau reminisces about his life in an informal, direct way. He starts wi
Published February 1st 1995 by McClelland & Stewart (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Memoirs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memoirs

1984 by George OrwellHamlet by William ShakespeareMacbeth by William ShakespeareDracula by Bram StokerNight by Elie Wiesel
One Word Titles
150th out of 924 books — 114 voters
Alaska and Back by Dorothy May MercerHow to Be a Canadian by Will FergusonThe Day the World Came to Town by Jim DeFedeSomething Fierce by Carmen AguirreVimy by Pierre Berton
Canadian Nonfiction
72nd out of 143 books — 69 voters

More lists with this book...

Lucie
Excellent, but then I'm a big fan of this great Canadian that took on the job of PM, not for the $ (he had plenty) but for the love of his country. He was intelligent, well spoken and a class act. His memoir sheds light on some of the tough decisions and things he had to do as PM. Enjoyed it tremendously.
Wendell Hennan
A thorough account of his childhood and years pursuing a formal education followed by a period pursuing an informal education by touring the world. Also a thorough account of his political life, and done with virtually no criticism of any of his political opponents. While reading his story, it was difficult to remember that he is no longer with us; it seemed that he was telling the story today. Having grown up and spent the first thirty years of my life in Western Canada, I was not a subscriber ...more
Debbie
Published in 1993, this set of former Canadian Prime Minister Trudeau’s memoirs briefly covers the first 49 years of his life including childhood, early world travels and entry into politics, and then concentrates on his time as Prime Minister from 1968-1984.

Anyone who is familiar with Trudeau’s time in office knows that humility was never his strong suit. But the man could lead – and here we gain insight into how he did that and how strong self-confidence (alright – arrogance) helped him to do
Liz
I snatched this one from my mom's bookshelf. I really didn't know anything about PET except my family didn't like him, so I correctly assumed him to a liberal, and that he created PETRO CAN, which my aunt told me (when I was about 10) that it stood for 'Pierre Elliot Trudeau Ripped Off Canada. In the back cover of the book there was a review which I made the mistake of reading. As discussed in the review, the book was written in very simple terms, for such an intellectual, and it didn't go in de ...more
Lorina Stephens
While I'll admit to greatly admiring Pierre Elliott Trudeau, I did try to read his Memoirs with an unbaised view.

What I found was a man who attempted to view his world without bias, to plot a course of justice, equality and dynamism that has, in fact, shaped the very foundation of what it means to be Canadian.

His memoire is written in a very casual, conversational tone. You can almost hear him speaking. As such it's also a remarkable insight into the man, who, I believe, was not the arrogant t
Daniel
The high point of this book arrives on page 122, with a picture of Trudeau having a chat with John Lennon and Yoko Ono. The caption reads:

"I was pleased to receive John Lennon (a member of the Beatles) and his wife, Yoko Ono, in Ottawa in December 1969.
He was kind enough to say afterwards: 'If all politicians were like Mr. Trudeau, there would be world peace.'
I must say that 'give peace a chance' has always seemed to me to be sensible advice."

Also included is a full page spread of Trudeau cano
Jax Wood
As Trudeau explains, this auto-biography includes a compliation of his transcripts from a series of interviews with the CBC during his later years. I have always been fascinated by Trudeau's impact on the Canadian public because he was a leader before my time, and this book revealed to me an arrogance and a stubborness I did not understand before - neither quality of which I think he tried to hide either in life or this book. Yet, I could also see how 'Trudeaumania' could have existed. In the en ...more
Andrés
A broad, interesting, but hardly piercing autobiography. Mr Trudeau's self-confidence is evident everywhere and he often quotes other's opinions of him, a somewhat annoying habit. His belief in the individual is well-outlined but I find it at variance with his promotion of cultural pluralism. I am disappointed that his self-confidence prevented a more thorough searching of his heart and experiences, especially in light of his historical significance.
Louisa Ielo
I'm not one for politics, but wanted to widen my variety of reads, and this was at my local Value Village. I learned a lot about my own country's political history, and found that I appreciated P. Trudeau's ideals. I was too young to vote when he was leading the country.
Gurinder Singh
This book turned me into a P. Trudeau admirer. However, it is a bit disheartening to know that it was in fact possible to get a Canadian Charter of Rights without a "not withstanding clause", had some very well intentioned people chosen to not to compromise on this issue.
Iris Todd-Lewis
Very readable...it is like a conversation with an intelligent friend. I admired PET and having read his autobiography, respect him even more. It wasn't an easy 'reign' but I lived it and mostly enjoyed it. Thanks Pierre!
Courtney
There is nothing startling about this book. None of it will make you go, "Oh, so THAT'S who Pierre Trudeau was." But it is amazing anyway and I loved it. I could be biased, though. But I doubt it.
Daniel Kukwa
It's a coffee table version of an autobiography...but it's a coffee table biography written by PIERRE BLOODY TRUDEAU! Does it really need ANY other justification? I didn't think so...
Erin
Apr 14, 2008 Erin is currently reading it
Thought I'd brush up on my Canadian history :)
Steve Henley
Steve Henley marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Savannah
Savannah marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Tehseen
Tehseen marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Rob Trainor
Rob Trainor marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Rodney Ulyate
Rodney Ulyate marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Brian
Brian added it
Mar 18, 2015
Joel
Joel added it
Mar 16, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Tasie
Tasie added it
May 11, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Lisa Marie
Lisa Marie marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Just Watch Me: The Life of Pierre Elliott Trudeau: 1968-2000
  • Nation Maker: Sir John A. Macdonald: His Life, Our Times
  • The Invasion of Canada: 1812-1813
  • Common Ground
  • Who Killed Canadian History?
  • A Short History of Canada
  • Harperland: The Politics Of Control
  • Eleventh Month, Eleventh Day, Eleventh Hour: Armistice Day, 1918
  • The Complete Beatles Chronicle
  • Decade of Fear: Reporting from Terrorism's Grey Zone
Joseph Philippe Pierre Yves Elliott Trudeau, PC, CC, CH, QC, MSRC (usually known as Pierre Trudeau or Pierre Elliott Trudeau), was the 15th Prime Minister of Canada from April 20, 1968 to June 4, 1979, and from March 3, 1980 to June 30, 1984.

Pierre Trudeau was a charismatic figure who, from the late 1960s until the mid-1980s, dominated the Canadian political scene and aroused passionate reactions.
More about Pierre Trudeau...
Federalism and the French Canadians Against the Current: Selected Writings Towards A Just Society The Trudeau Years The Essential Trudeau Two Innocents in Red China