Start by marking “An Egg on Three Sticks” as Want to Read:
An Egg on Three Sticks

An Egg on Three Sticks

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  464 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
Finally Abby is thirteen. A real teenager who only wants to pierce her ears, have a boyfriend, and run her own life. But when her mother suffers a nervous breakdown, Abby faces a life far different from what she hoped for. Set in the Bay Area in the '70s, An Egg on Three Sticks is Jackie Moyer Fischer's emotional, funny, and extraordinarily heartfelt novel about Abby's str ...more
Published May 1st 2004 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about An Egg on Three Sticks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Egg on Three Sticks

Violet Raines Almost Got Struck by Lightning by Danette HaworthRevolution Is Not a Dinner Party by Ying Chang CompestineFeathers by Jacqueline WoodsonTo Come and Go Like Magic by Katie Pickard FawcettWhen You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
Middle Grade Fiction set in the 1970s
8th out of 49 books — 5 voters
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussJames and the Giant Peach by Roald DahlThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss
Food In Book Titles
103rd out of 203 books — 45 voters

More lists with this book...

Lala1233
Feb 14, 2009 Lala1233 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book today. I loved this book so much and im sad that it is over!! I am not a big reader but I read this book and could not put it down!!
I think the title "an egg on 3 sticks" has something to do with the mom being the egg and 3 sticks would be abby, her sister, and her dad trying to balance their mom without dropping her but im not sure.
I think this was the best book ive ever read so far and wish there were more books by this author!
SmarterLilac
Oct 19, 2010 SmarterLilac rated it it was amazing
Attention all aspiring YA fiction writers: this is what I measure you against. An honest, straightforward look at the experiences of a young woman at the center of a family in crisis, which moves inexorably toward its conclusion without sugar coating the tragedy or the main character's feelings. You may not understand or approve of all the protagonist's choices, but hopefully you'll appreciate her creator's forthrightness and skill.
Diana
Dec 08, 2012 Diana rated it it was amazing
I didn't know what to expect when I started reading this but wow, was I pleasantly surprised. What a wonderful reading experience this was for me. Abby is one of my new favorite YA female characters. Her voice is so real that I experienced everything she was going through. My favorite line from her was when she said, "I am really starting to hate my mom. I don't care what else is going on. You don't fuck with Christmas." I was like, yes. Yes, Abby. I fell in love with her right then because imag ...more
Nifer
Jul 14, 2008 Nifer rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. It is written with a teenager as a narrator, and it's not like an adult pretending to be a teenager or anything like that. She really talks pretty much like you would expect a teenager to talk. And that is especially useful because it allows her to express, in words that only a teenager in the 70's would, her anger, frustration, fear and sadness at her mother's mental illness. I think that if you have anyone in your family suffering from mental illness or just old-fashi ...more
AJ LeBlanc
Dec 17, 2008 AJ LeBlanc rated it really liked it
This is one of those books I read from start to finish in one sitting because I needed to know how it ended.

Going in, I knew things would not be pretty. It's the 70s, and we didn't deal well with mental illness then - especially for women.

The best part of the book is that it's told from Abby's point of view. She's dealing with all of the normal highs and lows of adolescence, but her mom is sent away to a mental hospital in the midst of this.

It's almost claustrophobic having to see everything thr
Audrey
May 12, 2014 Audrey rated it really liked it
I really liked Abby, but the book was kind of depressing. It was very well written though.
Salona Khanal
Jun 09, 2016 Salona Khanal rated it really liked it
1.As Clear as Crystal
The author uses a simple narrative way in writing the book based on the perspective of Abby, a normal teenage girl who just wants her ears pierced, wants to have a boyfriend and run her own life but is not able to because of her strict mom. The author uses strange sounding words such as "weirdumando'" and "dorkumando" to display Abby's character and the way she likes to speak. Abby watches the behaviors of her mom change she starts to dislike her own mom and does not wish fo
Lauren Alyssa
An Egg on Three Sticks by Jackie Moyer Fischer tells a story of a young girl, Abby as she grows up. Abby narrates her perspective as a young g girl almost a teen. Abby is not only an adolescent who is finding herself but, is also trying to figure out her life completely.
Abby comes home one day and deep down has a feeling that not all is familiar. After finding her mother lying on her bed and a broken mirror in the bathroom she knows something is wrong. Being the young girl that she is Abby worr
Jaime
Dec 05, 2007 Jaime rated it liked it
This book is very well written. In that aspect, I would give it four-five stars. I just thought the story was a bit of a bummer. It's not that all stories have to be unrealistically uplifting; maybe it just wasn't the right time for me to read this book! It's about a young teenage girl suffering the consequences of the impact her mother's mental illness has on her. The perspective of the breakdown in her family told through her eyes is very well done.
Angela
May 07, 2013 Angela rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book randomly and had no idea what it was going to be about.

It took a couple of chapters for me to get into it. Then I couldn't stop. It ended up being one of the most stunning, emotional books I've ever read. I loved the main character and her family and I wanted so badly to give them all a hug. When I finished the book, all I could do was sit there for a moment and think, "Wow."

I'm glad I took a chance on a random book.
Olivia B
Apr 21, 2014 Olivia B rated it it was amazing
An Egg on Three Sticks by Jackie Moyer Fischer is a novel about a girl who just turns 13. She is finally a teenager and all she wants is to do is live her own life. Her mom starts to have mental breakdowns and then one day shes gone and sent to a mental hospital for a year. Durning that year many things change. All the rules her mom once had slowly faded away now that it was only her her younger sister and her dad.

Abby feels like everything is so much better without her mom, she hates her mom,
Heather B.
Feb 11, 2008 Heather B. rated it liked it
I found this book strangely hard to put down. It's written in the voice of an adolescent girl struggling to make sense of her mother's emotional breakdown. It's quite poignant at times, and I found myself really caring about Abby, and hoping her mom would wake up and realize what she was missing. She doesn't. The end was depressing, but strangely a relief to me.
Dixie Meeks
Sep 11, 2007 Dixie Meeks rated it it was amazing
Shelves: booksiveloved
Incredible book. Told from the voice of a thirteen-year-old in short chapters with stunningly simple description of the breakdown of a family, the rebuild, and the breakdown, once again. The narrator's voice is both that of a child and adult, and even ifyou've never been through what she's been through, you can feel it like it's happening to you. Excellent book.
Danely Perez
Dec 18, 2011 Danely Perez rated it it was amazing
I really really really enjoyed this book name An Egg on Three Sticks by jackie moyer fisher.What can I say once I started reading this book I couldn't stop.This book got me addicted to reading it because the more you read it you could not stop at all.This book is very descriptive it made me feel like if I was in that spot of her's.
Tabitha H.
Apr 25, 2016 Tabitha H. rated it really liked it
Denise
Aug 16, 2008 Denise rated it it was amazing
I read this book because it took place in the bay area and during a time when I was about the same age as the main charater. I felt that as sad as the issue of the book was, it was well written -- for those in this situation or not.
LeAnn
Jan 23, 2009 LeAnn rated it it was amazing
This book is written in the perspective and style (very unusual!) of a preteen girl. There is this amazing balance between being incredibly intense yet very lighthearted... So goes the life of an adolescent girl!
Hillary
Apr 08, 2009 Hillary rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
I read this book in one sitting because I had to know how it ended. This is another story about an adolescent and her relationship with her mother. Not a happy one, but an engaging, compelling read.
Zoe
Apr 14, 2008 Zoe rated it it was amazing
Excellent voice, beautiful details, well-paced and interesting. Fischer had me hooked from the start because her characters are textured, vibrant, and alive.
Priscila Cervantes
Apr 23, 2014 Priscila Cervantes rated it it was amazing
Have you ever thought about reading a book set on the late 1960's boring? I, as a reader think books set from a long time are quite boring and not interesting. But, as I saw the book "An Egg on Three Sticks" by Jackie Moyer Fischer I saw it's synopsis and was quite interested. I then finished this book and was no longer uninterested in books set on old times.

This is a story set around the late 1960's, based on the life of a girl named Abby. Abby lives with her younger sister Lisa and her father
Tally_wa
May 31, 2015 Tally_wa rated it it was amazing
An Egg on Three Sticks was a book that made you think about your life, and other lives as well. The narrator of this book is a young girl named Abby whose perspective is shared over the course of the story. When dealing with her mothers mental illness, she has her ups and downs. Abby is not only trying to find herself, but figure her life out completely. The fact that it is in the viewpoint of a 13 year old makes it content that is easier to connect with. The plot is interesting, and some part ...more
Baylee Elizabeth
dude this book is AMAZING!
#1 best book ihave ever read..
every girl on earth should read this book!!!
Paige
Oct 29, 2010 Paige rated it it was ok
Everyone complains. Every pre-teen and teenager complains. And everyone has that time now and then where they complain, and then they realize things were not that bad before. But now cannot go back.

In An Egg On Three Sticks is centered around Abby and her family who is dealing with the ups and downs of having a mother with a metal illness. Abby who is telling the story has many complaints about her mother in the beginning of the novel. She believes her mother to be too over bearing, too strict
Alisson
Dec 22, 2013 Alisson rated it really liked it
Every teenager always want to get older either because they want to have a boyfriend,party,or just to leave the house already.

In this book an egg on three sticks Abby is a teenage girl that already wants to pierce her ears,have a boyfriend,and run her own life.
Abby has her best friend her name is Poppy Cardesi Abby thinks shes perfect because she has straight long brown hair not like abby that is orange and short and that she can trust and tell her everything,anything one day while getting out o
Sheri
Jul 08, 2009 Sheri rated it liked it
So I picked up this book not knowing it was YA but it was pretty good. The author certainly remembered what it was like because the feelings were right on the nose. My heart started beating faster as I read and remembered how everything that happened in my life at that time was a matter of life and death. Oh the drama of a young girl's life!!
Abby's mother is on the verge of something going very wrong with her and then it does. She tries to kill herself and then goes to a hospital for almost a
brit
Aug 11, 2014 brit rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I am not really even a reader, and I loved this book. It kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Finished it in 2 days. Suspenseful and heartbreaking at the same time. Really makes you wonder if you are doing your best at being your best in difficult circumstances. Also made me rethink my perspective of life as a mom vs as the teenager. Really emphasized to me the importance of your family being a team, even when circumstances are bad.
Julie
Aug 11, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
I chose this book because it was about a girl growing up in the 70’s in the Bay Area, but it turns out that the physical setting isn’t a factor so much as the time. Abby Goodman’s family life changes when she is eleven, and her mother starts to exhibit symptoms of mental illness. Her father does not explain what is happening, and Abby and her younger sister, Lisa, are left to wonder at their mother’s lethargy, apathy, and “weirdamundo” behavior. The story continues through their mother’s nervou ...more
Dec 09, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
In An Egg on Three Sticks, thirteen year old Abby is learning the hard way to become a teenager. She just wants to fit in and be normal such as pierce her ears and have a boyfriend. But this is very hard for her when her mom all of a sudden has a nervous breakdown. This changes Abby's life forever. In Jackie Moyer Fisher's emotional, heart felt novel learn how Abby struggles to continue to find her old, loving mom again.

I really like how Fisher isn't afraid to to actually try and get in the sho
Angela
Sep 15, 2015 Angela rated it really liked it
A girl named Abby that just turned 13. She wants to live a normal life but then her mom gets a nervous breakdown and everything turns upside down for Abby. She worries about her mom because her mom wanted to do suicide. Her mom later went to the hospital and she has been gone for a whole year and came back for Abby's 14th birthday and her mom comes home looking different and acting different. Abby describes her mom as a robot and that she doesn't look normal.
Diane Wachter
Mar 01, 2016 Diane Wachter rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
An Egg on Three Sticks, Jackie Moyer Fischer, PB-B, @ 2004, 10/04, YA book. In early 70's, 12 year old Abby watches her mother fall apart, and must take on the burden of holding her family together as she stumbles thru her own growing years. Okay.
A Great Book! 1 6 Dec 22, 2009 12:22AM
  • The Parallel Universe of Liars
  • The Winds of Heaven
  • The Usual Rules
  • Write Naked
  • Like a Thorn
  • Olympic Dreams (High Hurdles, #1)
  • Black Boy White School
  • The Alison Rules
  • Vote for Larry (Gospel According to Larry, #2)
  • The Ex-Wife
  • Juan Bobo Goes to Work: A Puerto Rican Folk Tale
  • The Year of My Miraculous Reappearance
  • Buddha Boy
  • My Diary from Here to There/Mi diario de aquí hasta allá
Jackie Moyer Fischer grew up in Saratoga, California, and McMinnville, Oregon. She graduated from Oregon State University (English) and Lewis and Clark Northwestern School of Law (J.D). She now lives in Portland, Oregon, with her husband and too many cats. She has made peace with the rain and now prefers it to sunshine.
More about Jackie Moyer Fischer...