Start by marking “The Christmas Pig: A Fable” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Pig: A Fable

The Christmas Pig: A Fable

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  111 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
It's a Christmas tale only a man called Kinky could tell.King Jonjo Mayo the First is in a bind. Every Christmas, he commissions an artist to paint a traditional nativity scene to be dramatically revealed after midnight mass. This year, though, the date is mere weeks away, and he still has not yet found his painter. The king decides to take a chance on a peculiar, mute boy ...more
Published November 14th 2006 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Pig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Pig

John Uzzi
Dec 26, 2010 John Uzzi rated it really liked it
This was quite a surprise. I have been a long time fan of Kinky Friedman's quirky mysteries but the only similarity between those and this book is it's length. This fable is a touching, enlightening story.
Karin
Dec 16, 2014 Karin rated it liked it
coming from the Kinksta this is surprisingly sensitive and in the spirit of the season,glad I picked it up.
Spiros
Apr 13, 2009 Spiros rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: those in the mood for a Texas Jewboy Christmas story
Shelves: freebox, doodads
A very peculiar production, in which the Kinkster tries to make nice; Kinky as a fablist is kinda like a pig wearing lipstick. There are, to be sure, occasional flashes of Kinky's caustic wit, and even a couple of all too brief nods to the Greenwich Village Irregulars (Myers of Keswick, and, even more briefly, the late Tom Baker and Kacey Cohen, "the girl in the peach colored dress"). The eponymous pig displays a distressing tendancy to talk like Oscar Wilde. If I came across a epigramatic pig, ...more
Maryanne Christiano-Mistretta
This is my favorite book ever, knocking "Letters From the Earth" by Mark Twain out of first place. This book has 23 chapters. It's my ritual that every December I read one chapter per night leading up to Christmas Eve. It's a beautiful fable of a true friendship between a boy and a pig. Funny, deep and poignant. I highly recommend.
Dec 26, 2007 Sarah rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: animal lovers, people looking for holiday spirit
Shelves: fiction, inspiration
I was curious about this when I walked by it in the bookstore. I've read Kinky Friedman's Austin book, and I wasn't sure how a guy so rough-around-the-edges could come up with a heartwarming fairy tale about an autistic young artist and a pig. It's a very easy read with well-developed characters and a wonderful message. Grab some Kleenex, make some cocoa, and read it the week before Christmas. A wonderful story you could probably adapt and read to your kids each night.
Juanita Baltz
Nov 30, 2011 Juanita Baltz rated it it was amazing
I hope this author is a known entity to you. Well if not you need to know he bills himself as the Texas Jew Boy. He writes local colorstyle and is very in the flow of politics and is gauranteed to entertain. This book is about a nativity picture that needs painted. You guess the date. I think pre 1100AD. A very special needs child paints it and includes a pig. This book is very special to me you will never see a nativity the same way again. MERRY CHRISTMAS?
Michael
An OK children's book from Kinky Friedman. I mention it only because I've read a bunch of his books over the years, but have not listed him here. He's a funny man. He's built kind of a multi-venue comedy/entertaining career based on being a Jew raised in Texas. He was a country singer for a while, lived in New York, ran for Governor of Texas.
Sarah Cohen
Jan 05, 2014 Sarah Cohen rated it it was amazing
beautiful Christmas story. quick too. read it next year during the season.
Jun 08, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Don't let the grinning man with the stogie mislead you, this is actually a sweet fairy tale about love, art, and friendship. And doesn't really have anything to do with its infamous author, whose own life story is crazier than many a novel.
Frederick
Jan 16, 2008 Frederick rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Humor
Shelves: humor, friedman-kinky
The title is funny. It just IS.
The cover makes me laugh.
I'm giving a slew of Kinky Friedman books five stars because of the titles.
THE CHRISTMAS PIG is a funny title. But THE CHRISTMAS PIG: A FABLE is funnier.
Jerry Oliver
Dec 21, 2011 Jerry Oliver rated it liked it
This was one of the strangest little books about the true meaning of Christmas. A captivating tale of a little boy, a talking pig, a painting and a kingdom that I couldn't put down until the end.
Genie
Dec 01, 2008 Genie rated it it was amazing
Great story! A tale of the importance of love, friendship and loyalty. Not since "Babe" has a little pig been such a major player in any work of fiction.
Cyn
Nov 07, 2007 Cyn rated it it was amazing
Of the hundreds of books I've read, few have made me put them down to cry,then pick it back up. This little book was amazing.
Amy Stephenson
Jan 15, 2008 Amy Stephenson rated it it was amazing
A really good Christmas Fable as told by a Jewish novelist. It was sweet and mesmerizing.
Michael Gilbert
Apr 04, 2013 Michael Gilbert rated it it was amazing
Great book. Gives you a child view of the world. One of my favorite Kinky books.
Nancy
Dec 24, 2012 Nancy rated it it was ok
It is an interesting book. Didn't just love it, but found it entertaining.
Jon
May 12, 2008 Jon rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone.
I liked this book. a quick easy read but a touching Christmas story.

Kathleen
Dec 22, 2010 Kathleen rated it liked it
Shelves: benicia, 2010
A simple, quickly read little story. Cute.
Judie Hatton
Aug 07, 2011 Judie Hatton rated it liked it
Fun to read around the holidays. Sweet story.
Darla
Jan 27, 2012 Darla rated it really liked it
As expected!
Robyn Neal
Robyn Neal marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Vamstad
Vamstad rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Drew Williams
Drew Williams marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Erik
Erik rated it it was ok
Mar 25, 2016
J. May
J. May rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Susan K
Susan K rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Dee
Dee rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Richard S. "Kinky" Friedman is an American singer, songwriter, novelist, humorist, politician and former columnist for Texas Monthly who styles himself in the mold of popular American satirists Will Rogers and Mark Twain. He was one of two independent candidates in the 2006 election for the office of Governor of Texas. Receiving 12.6% of the vote, Friedman placed fourth in the six-person race.

Frie
More about Kinky Friedman...