Start by marking “The Christmas Pig: A Fable” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Pig: A Fable

The Christmas Pig: A Fable

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  20 reviews
It's a Christmas tale only a man called Kinky could tell.King Jonjo Mayo the First is in a bind. Every Christmas, he commissions an artist to paint a traditional nativity scene to be dramatically revealed after midnight mass. This year, though, the date is mere weeks away, and he still has not yet found his painter. The king decides to take a chance on a peculiar, mute boy ...more
Published November 14th 2006 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Pig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Pig

John Uzzi
This was quite a surprise. I have been a long time fan of Kinky Friedman's quirky mysteries but the only similarity between those and this book is it's length. This fable is a touching, enlightening story.
coming from the Kinksta this is surprisingly sensitive and in the spirit of the season,glad I picked it up.
Apr 13, 2009 Spiros rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those in the mood for a Texas Jewboy Christmas story
Shelves: freebox, doodads
A very peculiar production, in which the Kinkster tries to make nice; Kinky as a fablist is kinda like a pig wearing lipstick. There are, to be sure, occasional flashes of Kinky's caustic wit, and even a couple of all too brief nods to the Greenwich Village Irregulars (Myers of Keswick, and, even more briefly, the late Tom Baker and Kacey Cohen, "the girl in the peach colored dress"). The eponymous pig displays a distressing tendancy to talk like Oscar Wilde. If I came across a epigramatic pig, ...more
Maryanne Christiano-Mistretta
This is my favorite book ever, knocking "Letters From the Earth" by Mark Twain out of first place. This book has 23 chapters. It's my ritual that every December I read one chapter per night leading up to Christmas Eve. It's a beautiful fable of a true friendship between a boy and a pig. Funny, deep and poignant. I highly recommend.
Dec 26, 2007 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: animal lovers, people looking for holiday spirit
Shelves: fiction, inspiration
I was curious about this when I walked by it in the bookstore. I've read Kinky Friedman's Austin book, and I wasn't sure how a guy so rough-around-the-edges could come up with a heartwarming fairy tale about an autistic young artist and a pig. It's a very easy read with well-developed characters and a wonderful message. Grab some Kleenex, make some cocoa, and read it the week before Christmas. A wonderful story you could probably adapt and read to your kids each night.
Juanita Baltz
I hope this author is a known entity to you. Well if not you need to know he bills himself as the Texas Jew Boy. He writes local colorstyle and is very in the flow of politics and is gauranteed to entertain. This book is about a nativity picture that needs painted. You guess the date. I think pre 1100AD. A very special needs child paints it and includes a pig. This book is very special to me you will never see a nativity the same way again. MERRY CHRISTMAS?
An OK children's book from Kinky Friedman. I mention it only because I've read a bunch of his books over the years, but have not listed him here. He's a funny man. He's built kind of a multi-venue comedy/entertaining career based on being a Jew raised in Texas. He was a country singer for a while, lived in New York, ran for Governor of Texas.
Sarah Cohen
beautiful Christmas story. quick too. read it next year during the season.
Don't let the grinning man with the stogie mislead you, this is actually a sweet fairy tale about love, art, and friendship. And doesn't really have anything to do with its infamous author, whose own life story is crazier than many a novel.
Jan 16, 2008 Frederick rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Humor
Shelves: humor, friedman-kinky
The title is funny. It just IS.
The cover makes me laugh.
I'm giving a slew of Kinky Friedman books five stars because of the titles.
THE CHRISTMAS PIG is a funny title. But THE CHRISTMAS PIG: A FABLE is funnier.
Jerry Oliver
This was one of the strangest little books about the true meaning of Christmas. A captivating tale of a little boy, a talking pig, a painting and a kingdom that I couldn't put down until the end.
Great story! A tale of the importance of love, friendship and loyalty. Not since "Babe" has a little pig been such a major player in any work of fiction.
Of the hundreds of books I've read, few have made me put them down to cry,then pick it back up. This little book was amazing.
Amy Stephenson
A really good Christmas Fable as told by a Jewish novelist. It was sweet and mesmerizing.
Michael Gilbert
Great book. Gives you a child view of the world. One of my favorite Kinky books.
It is an interesting book. Didn't just love it, but found it entertaining.
May 12, 2008 Jon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone.
I liked this book. a quick easy read but a touching Christmas story.

A simple, quickly read little story. Cute.
Judie Hatton
Fun to read around the holidays. Sweet story.
As expected!
Beiza added it
Nov 29, 2015
Mary is currently reading it
Nov 21, 2015
Kim Mcdermand
Kim Mcdermand marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Wade marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Richard S. "Kinky" Friedman is an American singer, songwriter, novelist, humorist, politician and former columnist for Texas Monthly who styles himself in the mold of popular American satirists Will Rogers and Mark Twain. He was one of two independent candidates in the 2006 election for the office of Governor of Texas. Receiving 12.6% of the vote, Friedman placed fourth in the six-person race.

More about Kinky Friedman...