Start by marking “Gabriel García Márquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude: A Casebook” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Gabriel García Márquez...

Gene H. Bell-Villada

Gabriel García Márquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude: A Casebook

Casebooks in Criticism offer analytical and interpretive frameworks for understanding key texts in world literature and film. Each casebook reprints documents relating to a work's historical context and reception, presents the best critical studies, and, when possible, features an interview with the author. Accessible and informative to scholars, students, and ...more
Published October 30th 2002 by Diane Pub Co (first published January 10th 2002)

Be the first to ask a question about Gabriel García Márquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude

Leah
Feb 04, 2009 Leah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature
Trisha
Nov 10, 2016 Trisha rated it liked it
I’ve read 100 Years of Solitude twice now and both times it’s been a challenge trying to keep up with the convoluted plot that moved back and forth over 100 years in the lives of several generations of men and women from a South American family most of whom had variations on the same name as well similar personality traits. But there was more to the novel than the story line and the fascinating characters because of everything else Garcia Marquez was doing with this phenomenal novel. I just ...more
Ryan O'Malley
Oct 11, 2016 Ryan O'Malley rated it really liked it
Good essays can get repetitive however since they're from multiple authors
Jackie   Adams
May 31, 2012 Jackie Adams rated it it was ok
Rated one of the top books of the last century; won a Nobel Prize; has been on my bucket list for many years. I barely finished this book. You need to like the author's style. Cynical, whimsical, creative, outlandish, sometimes crazy, often vulgar. Could also be funny, if you are have the right mind set. This book was too long; the characters were confusing, as many had the same name; and the story just didn't flow. No looking up or being distracted when reading this; no speed reading. Some of ...more
Patti Wolf
Apr 01, 2011 Patti Wolf rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books. I like to pick this one up every 10 or 15 years and re-read. It's like a whole new book from a different perspective because of where I am in my life at that time.
I think this is they type of book one would call magic surrealism.
Lorenzo  A. Fernandez Jr.
What a work of imagination! But I'm a bit confused and bored by insistent repetition of names in the history of Buendia family. I had to consult the family tree from time to time when reading it. It is the Spanish thing, I guess.
Jim
Jul 09, 2009 Jim rated it liked it
This is, indeed, a slow read. I have finally completed the Kindle edition. The names of the characters are all Spanish, and not really familiar to me. It's an "interwoven" family together in a strange part of the world that seemed to me to be some made up part of Central America.
William Vourlas
Dec 31, 2012 William Vourlas rated it really liked it
Magic Realism at its best. I was forced to read the Spanish edition while simultaneously cribbing an English translation. Doubly so when I read Autumn of the Patriarch for an undergrad Spanish class (my major at UCLA). That book was one continuous paragraph. Nasty that!
Minorwhite
Feb 27, 2010 Minorwhite rated it it was amazing
Incredible book, incredible writer. Marquez is astounding, his story-telling unmatched, and in the genre of magical realism, in any genre really, it doesn't get any better than this.
Sandy
Jan 24, 2009 Sandy rated it really liked it
Great writing - was a little disappointed by the ending as I had heard so many great things about this book and expected to be more 'blown away' by it.

Still a fantastic piece of literature.
Pio Cabrejos
Pio Cabrejos rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2010
Alison
Alison rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2009
Vaness
Vaness rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2010
Timothy Sparks
Timothy Sparks rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2013
Sokari
Sokari rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2009
Bazilea
Bazilea rated it did not like it
Feb 15, 2009
Dian
Dian rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2011
Hilal
Hilal rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2012
Amanda Bowersox
May 17, 2012 Amanda Bowersox rated it it was amazing
Even more amazing every time I read it! One of my all time favorites.
Thalia
Thalia rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2012
Role
Role rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2013
Ryszarda
Ryszarda rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2011
Ryan
Ryan rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2008
Nodamee
Nodamee rated it really liked it
May 28, 2012
Babicolores
Babicolores rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2011
Simone
Simone rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2012
Emi Hamo
Emi Hamo rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2011
Jay_m
Jay_m rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2012
Emma Crook
Emma Crook rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Stuart Ross
Nov 03, 2010 Stuart Ross rated it it was amazing
It is a very emotionally deep novel with elements of human nature and afterlife.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Gabriel Garcia Marquez: Chronicle Of A Death Foretold:  A Reader's Companion
  • Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Love in the Time of Cholera: A Reader's Guide
  • The Seagull Reader: Poems
  • The Conservative's Handbook: Defining the Right Position on Issues from A to Z
  • The Teachings of Don Carlos: Practical Applications of the Works of Carlos Castaneda
  • Mank
  • Chronicle of a Plague, Revisited: AIDS and Its Aftermath
  • Selected Poems, 1960-1990
  • Churchill's Empire: The World That Made Him and the World He Made
  • My Life as a Dog
  • Living The Good Life: How One Family Changed Their World From Their Own Backyard
  • اشتهاء
  • Femmes of Power: Exploding Queer Femininities
  • Forestillingen om et ukompliceret liv med en mand
  • Easy Writer: A Pocket Reference
  • Technical Communication
  • The Great Republic: A History of America
  • Bedtime Stories: A Unique Guided Relaxation Program for Falling Asleep and Entering the World of Dreams