Start by marking “Disability Theory” as Want to Read:
Disability Theory

Disability Theory

"Disability Theory is just the book we've been waiting for. Clear, cogent, compelling analyses of the tension between the 'social model' of disability and the material details of impairment; of identity politics and unstable identities; of capability rights and human interdependence; of disability and law, disability as masquerade, disability and sexuality, disability and ...more
Published June 16th 2008 by University of Michigan Press

To ask other readers questions about Disability Theory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disability Theory

Meggan
Jun 22, 2012 Meggan rated it it was amazing
Wish I had time to write a better review. Let's just say this book saved my dissertation from disaster so many times. Siebers is truly forward-thinking and revolutionary when it comes to thinking about the body. He's my #1 academic influence. I want to work with him after I graduate - IF I can muster enough courage to ask about a postdoc position.
Michael
Jul 30, 2008 Michael rated it it was amazing
I am only through the introduction (first 33 pages) and I am already hooked. Siebers synthesizes, critiques and builds upon past and current thought underlying disability theory. For those unfamilar with disability theory, it is an eye-opener. For those in the field, it challenges some cherished positions and metaphors. While basing his conception of disability on minotity identity theory, he is not shy about pointing out some of its potential pitfalls (and those of social construction in genera ...more
Julian Bodnar
Nov 14, 2012 Julian Bodnar rated it it was amazing
If you are struggling with changing your perspective on the meaning of disability in life, this is the book to read inorder for you to begin that journey. Siebers' ability to inspire one to do so is phenomenal. His writing not only challenges one to have to occasionally re-read what he says, but also inspires one to do so for better understanding of the challenges of living with circumstances of disability. This is a must read for all, be they seen as disabled, or not.
www.disabilitywellness.com
Chris Nagel
Jun 26, 2014 Chris Nagel rated it liked it
This is certainly required reading for anyone interested in disability studies. I find Susan Wendell, S. Kay Toombs and Rosemarie Garland-Thomson more interesting and more challenging, mainly because Siebers while is often provocative, he is just as often conceptually sloppy, and almost never interpretatively fair. This could be a good book for teaching a course with a disability studies focus, but if you really want to provoke students, have them read Feminist Queer Crip instead.
Holly
Jan 07, 2015 Holly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I read this for a class and only rented the book. I am so upset I didn't buy it! There were just so many things that struck me or that I learned to consider and I really appreciate Siebers for that. Compared to other theory books, it was written in an easily digested way as well. I probably will go out and buy it in the future. Loved this!
Naomi
Jan 28, 2017 Naomi rated it it was amazing
Absolute genius. His extremely nuanced reflections on disability as identity (framed against the background of today's struggles over identity politics and whether it is relevant) will change your entire way of seeing disability. Recommend.
Ashley
Nov 09, 2010 Ashley rated it it was amazing
This book is like the disability bible!
Jesse Rathgeber
Jesse Rathgeber rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2015
Rebe
Rebe rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2015
Kay  Hogan
Kay Hogan rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2014
Miriam
Miriam rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2015
Ka
Ka rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2012
Meme
Meme rated it really liked it
May 03, 2015
ruby
ruby rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2011
Ruth Book
Ruth Book rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2016
Megan Peak
Megan Peak rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2013
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2012
Greggory Ohannessian
Greggory Ohannessian rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2017
Alison Sagara
Alison Sagara rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2013
Tori
Tori rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2012
Jae Ran
Jae Ran rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2013
Brad
Brad rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2014
Gabrielle Arrowood
Gabrielle Arrowood rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Taylor Gathof
Taylor Gathof rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2016
Kt
Kt rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2012
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2017
Loretta
Loretta rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2012
  • Feminist, Queer, Crip
  • Why I Burned My Book and Other Essays on Disability
  • Scars Tell Stories: A Queer and Trans (Dis)ability Zine
  • Impossible Desires: Queer Diasporas and South Asian Public Cultures
  • The Ultimate Guide to Sex and Disability: For All of Us Who Live with Disabilities, Chronic Pain, and Illness
  • A Disability History of the United States