Start by marking “Get Out of My Life, but First Could You Drive Me & Cheryl to the Mall: A Parent's Guide to the New Teenager” as Want to Read:

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,053 Ratings  ·  200 Reviews
Dr. Wolf updates his classic blockbuster as times change

In 1991, the first edition of Get Out of My Life by Dr. Anthony E. Wolf, became an enormous success, selling over 300,000 copies. The words of Dr. Wolf were so on target that parents wondered if he had placed tape recorders around their homes.

But the world has not stood still—in fact, it is changing faster than ever.
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published January 4th 2003 by Macmillan Audio (first published 1991)

Be the first to ask a question about Get Out of My Life, but First Could You Drive Me & Cheryl to the Mall

Hashi
Sep 04, 2007 Hashi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm currently raising my fourth teenager, so you'd think I'd have it figured out by now. Well, I don't ... and I found this book really helpful. There's a pretty simple message running through every chapter. State your rules and values, stay firm, and accept that you can't fully control them. Your voice will eventually become part of their conscience, and they'll probably turn out all right.
Nancy
Sep 10, 2009 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect! When I finish this I'll know alllll about raising a pre-teen daughter and son! I think it should come with a subscription to the Wine of the Month club or something equally helpful.
Bob
Sep 03, 2008 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This book reminded me of Rilke: master of simultaneous attraction and repulsion. For Rilke, it was women. For teenagers, it's their parents. The mouthing is almost a kind of teething: at the same time they mouth off to signal their independence, they do it obnoxiously as a way to maintain their childish status. They both do and do not want their independence (this translates to wanting freedom with only the responsibilities they recognize.) They want their parents' unconditional love and they ar ...more
Robyn
Jan 15, 2009 Robyn marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Obviously, I need help with parenting so I keep trying to read books such as these which continues to offend my children.
Joie
May 27, 2013 Joie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this short book incredibly helpful. Wolf pulls no punches on what it's like to live with the contemporary American teenager. This quote perfectly sums up what it is like to live with my 13-year old son: "For those who have never raised a teenage child, it is hard to imagine the day-to-day swings between crazed frenzy and genuine tranquility. Some of the time things are calm, even beautiful. You love your kid and he or she seems just fine. But at other times, perhaps five minutes later, y ...more
Lectus
Jan 15, 2016 Lectus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is old, but so good! I can't believe how accurate it is in depicting teens. It talks about how, at home, teen boys become reclusive and teen girls turn into fighters. Very good to help parents understand their teen's behavior. Perhaps there's something more updated. I have to check.
Marie
Jun 26, 2015 Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The author focuses on a very stereotypical teen-adult dynamic (parent lays down the law about homework, curfew, etc and the teen reacts with a stream of angry profanity). I assume that's because that's what he sees in his counseling practice. The advice is mostly in the form of reassurance and encouragement to stay firm and not despair. I think many families maintain a more multi-dimensional and connected relationship through the teen years. But the explanations he gives of the psychology behind ...more
Lenny Husen
Feb 10, 2013 Lenny Husen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was excellent. A must-read for any parent of a difficult teenager (which is pretty much every teenager). How anyone could give this less than 5 stars, I don't know, except that this book doesn't offer any pat solutions to the problem of being a good parent to someone who treats you with disrespect and who is irrational. If you are expecting any solutions to the situation other than time, this book might disappoint you. But it is one of the few good "self-help" books I have ever come across.
Judie Holliday
Feb 07, 2016 Judie Holliday rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I really appreciated this book, especially right now when I have two daughters in their early teens. A lot of what Wolf says makes sense and he isn't preachy or didactic. Instead, he's funny, realistic and convincing. These years are a mine field and I feel better equipped to tip-toe through them now, more aware of what I can expect and what I can realistically effect.
Lisa
May 06, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
The main idea in this book is that adolescents are in a constant, dramatic struggle between their "baby self" that wants to snuggle and play games at home, and their "independent self" that wants to be far away from home on their own. The result is regular conflict so that engagement with parents comes in the emotionally safer form of conflict and arguing. Parents need to just stick to their clearly laid out rules, understand that they won't be adhered to 100%, and that they can't be enforced, j ...more
Jaclyn
Aug 10, 2010 Jaclyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jaclyn by: Rosalind Englander-Calo
Our family counselor loaned this book to my husband & I. I have mixed thoughts on it overall. I liked it because the anectdotes were humourous and relatable. I also liked that basically the message of this book is "relax, you can't really screw your kid up that badly and even if they are revealing a worrying trend now, as long as you continue to show you care, they'll likely turn out ok in a few years." It's a book that I'm convinced our couselor suggested we read for reassurance; and as a g ...more
Meryl Evans
Feb 02, 2010 Meryl Evans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended reading for parents of teens and tweens. Most parents will discover the arguments they have with their teens are typical and the author gives suggestions on what works and what won't work. A lot of it is common sense advice, but at least you know for sure what things to keep on doing and what things will be a waste of time.

The witty writing makes this a breezy read that only helps you better absorb and understand the content. Wolf shares dialogue that many parents will wonder if he w
Linda
May 31, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was exactly what I needed, exactly when I needed it.

Not much has changed, except my perspective. I feel much more mentally prepared for the rollercoaster I just started riding. I suspect I will be re-reading portions of it over the next few years.
Lisa
Apr 02, 2015 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
This book was recommended from a few different people. I could only locate the abridged version but I felt the advice portions were soft. I guess I am more strict or at least hope to be when my kids reach the teen years. It provided a good view of what teens are going through mentally and emotionally during these years and how they view adults in their lives. I found this part helpful. Loved the title but I think a recent read, "Boundaries with Teens", is much better.
Diane Stavros
I found this book to be actually pretty realistic and helpful in guiding parents along the often frightful and treacherous path of dealing with the modern teen-aged child. The writing was simple and direct, without being condescending. The author seems to have a pretty accurate view of what living with teens can really be like, their attitudes, and what can and should be expected of them. He basically lays out the ugly truths about not only what teenagers are really thinking and doing, but also ...more
Sheela Word
Oct 17, 2015 Sheela Word rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. The made-up dialogue in this book is so similar to the way my kids and I actually talk that I couldn't resist reading passages aloud to them. It's both chagrining and reassuring to know how un-unique our little dramas are.

Wolf points out that many of today's parents are practicing an egalitarian style of parenting that they did not actually experience when children themselves, and hence are constantly conflicted about their actions, and worried about how their seemingly selfish, disre
Gerry
Jan 01, 2016 Gerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book recommended to me by two people - neither of which knows the other. A fabulous book for any person, parent, or guardian that has a pre-teen or current teen in their care.

Dr. Wolf is simply a practical father, counselor, and author! I cannot think of a better way to begin 2016. I have a better understanding and maybe learned a couple of things about myself in the process.
Liz
Jan 26, 2010 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when my son hit puberty (he's now 25) and have since raised three teens. I recommend it to ANYONE who even mentions they deal with teens! I used to read "Your One Year Old", "Your Two Year Old", etc and this does the same thing - shows you what is perfectly normal for your teen (son or daughter) to be doing and what to do about it!
Margaret
Dec 24, 2012 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humorous, insightful, helpful but a little dated. If written today there would be more neuroscience and brain development discussion. Best part of my copy was marginalia and underlined phrases by previous readers. E.g. "Lectures do very little," "Parents must not allow themselves to get sucked into ongoing battles."
Latiffany
May 12, 2015 Latiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently ran into a former professor/friend of mine and after saying hello, I launched into an "All Teenagers are Evil," rant. When I slowed down to take a breath, she suggested that I read this book and I am glad that I did. Overall, the book has some really interested tidbits. I learned:

Nothing good will come of arguing with a teen. State your position, stick with it and move on
I already knew this one, but spanking adolescents is not a good idea for many reasons
Teens are resilient and can us
Colleen
Sep 06, 2013 Colleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This author seems to hate teenagers and advocates a level of condescension that I can't support. The book was uplifting in one sense-- the author gives case studies and examples of teens who were so poorly socialized that I felt cheered that my son is just a little moody and reticent.
Kressel Housman
Dec 07, 2009 Kressel Housman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent explanation as to why teenagers act the way they do. I found the girls' explanation close to my experience, so I trust the author's word on the boys'. But I could have done without all the curse words. Yeah, many teenagers talk like that, but how much do I need to read it?
Janna Huyler collins
I picked this up to help me understand my 17 year old daughter who is driving me crazy. Gave me lots of great insight. Surprisingly, I also learned a great deal about the motivations behind my 15 year old son's behavior. I strongly recommend to anyone parenting teenagers!
Crabbygirl
Jan 13, 2014 Crabbygirl rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this was a load of crap with little or no statistics to back up his theories. most of the sample dialogue between teens and parents were so vile, you cannot help but be comforted that at least you didn't inherit that demon child.

at some point he says that teens will lie and just get over it. when a child throws out 2 notice that informs his parent that he's failing a class in school and then lies - repeatedly - about ever receiving such notices, the author says the real issue is the failure, not
Calm LykaBomb
Feb 24, 2012 Calm LykaBomb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the few "How To Raise a Teenager" books that has really reached me. On par with the "What to Expect..." series, but with a wry, accurate and earthy sense of humor that is essential to surviving your darling child's adolescence without incurring a felony record.
Ahf
Oct 31, 2011 Ahf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a terrific parenting book about parenting teens. Ultimately optimistic, it doesn't pull any punches about what we are all in for in the next few years. A wise mom recomended it to me as her key to sanitity during those rough years.
Manda
Aug 22, 2011 Manda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
This is an amusing look at Teenagers. I cannot remember getting any specific advice from this book, but I did gain a sense of peace - a feeling of "this is normal" and a reminder to laugh about it, not let it get to me.
Farrell
Nov 05, 2014 Farrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m prepping myself. I have two 10 year olds; it won’t be long now. I LOVED this book. I have no experience yet raising a teenager, and the prospect terrifies me. I do remember what it was like to BE a teenager. And because of that, most of this book rang true. Basically, the author discusses the main difference in general between boy teens and girl teens: boy teens will distance themselves, shut themselves off in their room, listening to music and/or playing video games. They communicate mostly ...more
Diana
Jun 10, 2009 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was impressed by how extremely realistic this author is about teenagers, and the best ways to influence their behavior.
Eileen
Apr 12, 2011 Eileen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent resource in dealing with teens. I highly recommend this to parents of teens (especially girl teens)
New teenager, new reason to REREAD this book. 3 25 Apr 10, 2009 05:30AM
  • Yes, Your Teen Is Crazy!: Loving Your Kid Without Losing Your Mind
  • Why Do They Act That Way?: A Survival Guide to the Adolescent Brain for You and Your Teen
  • Staying Connected To Your Teenager: How To Keep Them Talking To You And How To Hear What They're Really Saying
  • Getting to Calm: Cool-Headed Strategies for Parenting Tweens + Teens
  • Asperger Syndrome and Difficult Moments: Practical Solutions for Tantrums, Rage, and Meltdowns
  • Stick Up for Yourself!: Every Kid's Guide to Personal Power and Positive Self-Esteem
  • Liberated Parents, Liberated Children: Your Guide to a Happier Family
  • A Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism, First Edition: How to Meet the Challenges and Help Your Child Thrive
  • Harry and the Terrible Whatzit
  • The Curse of the Good Girl: Raising Authentic Girls with Courage and Confidence
  • Why Kids Lie: How Parents Can Encourage Truthfulness
  • The Primal Teen: What the New Discoveries about the Teenage Brain Tell Us about Our Kids
  • Bringing Up Geeks: How to Protect Your Kid's Childhood in a Grow-Up-Too-Fast World
  • Parenting Teens with Love and Logic: Preparing Adolescents for Resposible Adulthood
  • Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals
  • Raising Financially Fit Kids
  • Raising Resilient Children: Fostering Strength, Hope, and Optimism in Your Child
  • Just Because It Isn't Wrong Doesn't Make It Right: Teaching Kids To Think And Act Ethically
Published in the UK as Tony Wolf
More about Anthony E. Wolf...

“Much of this book is funny. That’s because I think much that goes on between teenagers and their parents is funny—if we can step back far enough from our lives to view our daily travails for what they are, instead of as deadly serious issues. Finally, if this book achieves its goal, you may notice a strange transformation in those scenes that used to drag you down. With a new understanding of your teenager’s psychological development and state of mind, you may find that those scenes are never quite the same again. They look different, less desperate, more like the inevitable interaction between a normally developing teenager and a caring parent. You may also discover that, seeing differently, you act differently as well.” 0 likes
“What is it to be the parent of a teenager? It is to do what you think best—when really you have no idea what is best. It is to ride out the storms and be back again the next day. It is to give love to a child who does not seem to want it, to a child who five minutes ago seemed to deserve a punch more than anything else.” 0 likes