Start by marking “My Life on the Rock: A Rebel Returns to the Catholic Faith” as Want to Read:
My Life on the Rock: A Rebel Returns to the Catholic Faith

My Life on the Rock: A Rebel Returns to the Catholic Faith

My Life on the Rock is the dramatic, emotional and humorous conversion story of Jeff Cavins, one of the brightest new teachers and converts to come into the Catholic Church in recent years. Jeff s story is one of rebellion and homecoming. He rebelled against his father and his faith - and then returned home after a series of providential events. Author: Jeff CavinsFormat: ...more
Published March 22nd 2002 by Ascension Press (first published November 2nd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about My Life on the Rock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Life on the Rock

Ben De Bono
May 08, 2012 Ben De Bono rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
This is a fascinating and deeply moving book chronicling the author's journey from Catholicism to Charismatic Protestantism and back again. Although Jeff Cavins certainly comes down on the Catholic side of the argument, it's well worth reading for Protestants and Catholics alike. It puts a human face and story on the journey between the two traditions and will, hopefully, have the effect of increasing charitable dialogue between Catholics and Protestants.

On a more personal note, the beginning o
Tracy
Jun 07, 2009 Tracy rated it really liked it
This book is a very interesting story of someone returning to the church after turning so far away as to become a protestant minister! He is a real student of biblical history and in his efforts to grow as a minister, he comes face to face with the church he rebelled against! He reminded me that the church can have some downright bad leaders and it doesn't change the original truths of God and of the church. He also met some very good leaders in the church that kept him on his journey. It gave m ...more
Sue
Jul 01, 2011 Sue rated it liked it
Pretty good. I think I enjoyed the first couple chapters the best. His style of writing was natural and humorous. The middle part got tedious as it was more like theology lessons which were fine, but not written in a way that grabbed your attention. I think what I missed from this book were personal insights, self-discoveries, etc. He did realize that his leaving the Catholic Church was an act of rebellion against his Dad, but that was it.
Kristin
Mar 18, 2008 Kristin rated it liked it
I would probably give this book a 3.5/5 if it was an option. It started off really good, but towards the middle it seemed to drag on a little bit. I do like Jeff Cavins though and I have heard that his bible study programs are really good. This is my brother-in-law's book, but he would be more than willing to let others borrow it if needed.
Meghan
Dec 17, 2011 Meghan rated it it was amazing
Love me a good conversion story!
Catherine Picou
Dec 11, 2013 Catherine Picou rated it it was amazing
Laughed and cried. Beautiful testimony to the amazing love God has for us.
Ryan
Jul 08, 2009 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Perhaps the best book I've read in '09. Cavins' honest account of his dramatic spiritual journey is required reading for anyone in search of truth.
Mike
Nov 27, 2014 Mike rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Converts to the Catholic Faith, those who are searching
Recommended to Mike by: friend of mine
I am always interested in reading a person's story...where he/she came from to get to where they are at. A particular interest lies in conversion stories....how and what a person did to convert from one belief to another.

Jeff Cavins writes his story from the perspective of a cradle Catholic who fell out of the Church and became a Protestant Minister....but through his study of the Bible and of the different denomiations, finds that his beliefs come full-circle and decides to re-convert as a Cat
Lynnette Franciscus
May 30, 2014 Lynnette Franciscus rated it it was amazing
Awesome book, and I don't believe you have to be Catholic to appreciate Jeff's story. He has some incredible experiences to share. This man is author of a series of wonderful Bible studies, 4 of which I have participated in through my church. He's well-versed in Scripture, Jewish customs and the Hebrew language and is filled to overflowing with faith and God's love and wants to share that with everyone!
Barbarawombatgmail.com
Jul 31, 2014 Barbarawombatgmail.com rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion-books
After taking a class with Jeff on Revelations, I looked forward to reading his story. It came at a time when I was getting confirmed as an Eucharistic Minister. His story gave depth to my formation. I loved what I learned about Catholic apologetics. It was intriguing to understand his journey as a pastor, which was not easy. Amazing wife Emily, I think.
Greg
Oct 01, 2015 Greg rated it really liked it
It was surprising how much of the author's journey I could identify with. I have many questions I wish I could ask him. I see the subtitle apparently changed. The edition I have is subtitled, "A rebel returns to his faith."
Robz Tan
Feb 21, 2016 Robz Tan rated it it was amazing
This book will lead you to understand more about the Catholic faith. Jeff is always funny & full of wisdom. Looking forward to read more of his works.
Shannon
Jan 16, 2016 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Good book. I like Jeff Cavins. His Bible studies are enjoyable as well as informative. It was fun to read his story.
Laurie
Oct 10, 2016 Laurie rated it really liked it
Excellent and inspirational story of how Jeff Cavins returned to his Catholic Faith and everything he went thru! Could not put this book down.
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2008
Tim Aj
Tim Aj rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2008
Racheal L Trahan
Racheal L Trahan rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2008
Antionette
Antionette rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2013
Teresa Collins
Teresa Collins rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2015
Jeff Esposito
Jeff Esposito rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2017
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2012
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2014
Rev Gary
Rev Gary rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2013
Catie
Catie rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2008
Carol Morris
Carol Morris rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Gent
Gent rated it it was ok
Dec 03, 2016
Jim
Jim rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism
  • Return To Rome: Confessions of an Evangelical Catholic
  • Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic
  • A Life with Karol: My Forty-Year Friendship with the Man Who Became Pope
  • What Catholics Really Believe--Setting the Record Straight: 52 Answers to Common Misconceptions About the Catholic Faith
  • Surprised By Truth: 11 Converts Give the Biblical and Historical Reasons for Becoming Catholic
  • Mother Angelica: The Remarkable Story of a Nun, Her Nerve, and a Network of Miracles
  • No Turning Back: A Witness to Mercy
  • Crossing the Tiber
  • Render Unto Caesar: Serving the Nation by Living our Catholic Beliefs in Political Life
  • Liturgy of the Hours
  • A Song for Nagasaki: The Story of Takashi Nagai: Scientist, Convert, and Survivor of the Atomic Bomb
  • Evangelium Vitae: The Gospel of Life
  • Why Do Catholics Do That?
  • Fatherless
  • Good News About Sex & Marriage: Answers to Your Honest Questions about Catholic Teaching
  • Saint John Paul the Great: His Five Loves
After twelve years as a Protestant pastor, Jeff returned to the Catholic Church under the guidance of Bishop Paul Dudley. His conversion story, one of the best known and inspiring stories of its kind, is chronicled in the best-selling book, My Life on the Rock.

Over the past several decades, Jeff has dedicated his life to developing The Great Adventure: A Journey through the Bible, a practical, int
More about Jeff Cavins...

“If God goes in search of man, created in His own image and likeness, He does so because He loves him eternally in the Word, and wishes to raise him in Christ to the dignity of an adoptive son. God therefore goes in search of man who is His special possession in a way unlike any other creature. Man is God’s possession by virtue of a choice made in love: God seeks man out, moved by His fatherly heart. – Blessed John Paul II” 0 likes