The Power of the Night (The Lamb Among the Stars, #2)

The Power of the Night (The Lamb Among the Stars #2)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In the spirit of C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien, The Lamb among the Stars series weaves the worlds of science and the spirit, technology and the supernatural into something unique and haunting. On the faraway planet of Farholme, humans live in peace under the gentle rule of the Assembly. War and evil are ancient history. But suddenly, almost imperceptibly, things begin t...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Thirsty Books (first published January 1st 2003)

Carissa Norris
Another good book by Walley, but I didn't feel it was as strong as the first. I liked the plot, I love the character of Merral and I enjoyed where he went with the ending--it wasn't what I expected and definitely made me want to read the next book.

For the negative, I felt that some of Merral's struggles were too repetitive. Merral also is way too naive. He's always pushing away any hint that something is wrong. To really get into the book you have to keep reminding yourself that these people hav...more
Collin Huelgas
Honestly, It's way of conveying the story was a bit too complicated and for me, it went around too many bushes. That's my only bad comment for the book.

On the other hand, it's metaphors and connection with religion made it superb for me cause nowadays, teens are a bit lost and far away from God. This book is one way for God to come to teens and make them realize the truth, for this book is a Teen Fiction one.

Merral Stephan D' Avanos was a great captain!

Arrivederci,
Collin
Jessica
Sep 20, 2007 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 16 And Up
Shelves: sci-fi
With the destruction of the Gate that linked it to the rest of the Assembly, the world of Farholme must face just isolation to face. There is something in the north—something evil—that challenges and corrupts all the Assembly stands for.

As the influence of this mysterious and threatening presence grows, Merral D’Avanos and his friends are entrusted with the daunting task of finding, and confronting, their world’s elusive enemy. It is a race against time as evil spreads like a plague across Farho...more
Robert
Great book, love the series
Sara Diane
The second in the series (sometimes published as one volume, The Evening and the Night), this story picks up when the first book left off--the gate has been destroyed, the world of Farhome is on it's own, cut off from the Assembly. And then there are the intruders--the impending evil like no one has ever faced. The love triangle deepens and gets a few barbs. And there is still some heavy-handedness in regards to the spiritual aspects, but now I have to know who ends up together.
Oyinlola
The power of the night is a book that captured my entire mind. Wonderful story line, believable settings, loaded with suspense. And it brings you to the picture in the book through your imaginations. While reading it, it was difficult for me to drop it because i was always eager on what would happen next.
Dion
Some interesting ideas. These aren't often allowed to take flight and set the imagination alight. The stakes need to be greater.
Marie
How consequences spin out of control.
Midu Hadi
Midu Hadi marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Melody Phillips
Melody Phillips marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Dominic
Dominic marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Sarah Sayre
Sarah Sayre marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Jekyll
Jekyll added it
May 07, 2014
Jennifer Varnadore
Jennifer Varnadore marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Sonya Bolton
Sonya Bolton marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Allen Steele
Allen Steele marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
I was born in Wales in 1954 but grew up in northern England. I studied geology at university, gaining a BSc from Sheffield University and a PhD from University of Wales, Swansea. I taught at the American University of Beirut (AUB) in Lebanon from 1980-84, where I met my wife and where our two boys were born.

From 1984-94, I was based in Swansea, where I was a consultant for the oil industry. I did...more
More about Chris Walley...
The Dark Foundations (The Lamb Among the Stars, #3) The Shadow at Evening (The Lamb Among the Stars, #1) The Infinite Day (The Lamb among the Stars, #4) The Shadow And Night (The Lamb Among the Stars, #1-2) The Life: A Portrait of Jesus