Start by marking “Taken (Randall Shane, #1)” as Want to Read:
Taken (Randall Shane, #1)

Taken (Randall Shane #1)

No parent believes it can happen to them -- their child taken from a suburban schoolyard in the gentle hours of dusk. But as widowed mother Kate Bickford discovers, everything can change in the blink of an eye. One minute her lanky, amazing, maddening Tommy is begging for ice cream. Then in a terrible instant, he's gone. Opening the door to her Connecticut home, hoping to ...more
Published July 1st 2006 by Mira Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Taken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taken

Nikki
Jan 25, 2012 Nikki rated it it was amazing
Definition: Unputdownable // un·put·down·a·ble

Adjective: (of a book) So engrossing that one cannot stop reading it.

Branden Townes
May 29, 2015 Branden Townes rated it really liked it
4th Quarter Book Review of Chris Jordan’s Taken
In Taken, There is a suburban schoolyard and kids are being taken in a blink of an eye. This woman named Kate Blickford her son is kidnapped! Her son was screaming and trying to get ice cream. And then in a blink of an eye her son was kidnapped. She is terribly scared. Kate thinks that she is going to see her son back at home but he wasn’t. Instead of Tommy there was his kidnapper and he wants money. If Kate doesn’t follow whatever he tells her she
Bill Khaemba
3.5 stars....

I loved how the book displayed the length parental love can reach, however It was short so i couldn't somewhat get attached to the characters but I loved how the story played out and the investigative aspect of it (I'm a sucker for investigations and suspense).... Fun read to kick start the year.
Melanie
Feb 18, 2012 Melanie rated it it was ok
So the plot for this book was good and twisty, with a very origianl reason for the kidnapping. But the author can't get inside a woman's head. I didn't feel like this book was told from a woman's point of view, but from a man's idea of what goes on in a woman's head. I can't put a finger on what it was exactly, but after about ten pages, I had to look at the author's picture in the back to confirm that the "Chris" wasn't short for Christine.
Bev Taylor
Mar 27, 2014 Bev Taylor rated it really liked it
how far would u go to save the life of yur child?

i think that every parent knows the answer to that but some will go even further

widowed kate experiences every parent's nightmare - her child is abducted

worse, the police suspect her, also of murder and removing her finances from the country

there r many unanswered questions in this novel - why was the sheriff murdered, why was there no blood in the basement and how was kate supposed to get the body in the freezer? also it did not add up to hav
Barbara ★
WOW this is the first I've read by Chris Jordan and boy did it take me on a roller coaster ride of suspense and horror. It's told in the first person from two points of view, the victim and the kidnapper. The victim is Catherine Bickford, a widowed suburban mom with an 11 year old son. Tommy is kidnapped by Steven Cutter for unknown purposes. Kate is terrorized beyond measure and then framed for murder. While she is fighting for her freedom, she is also working like crazy to find Tommy.

It's alw
Arminzerella
Sep 30, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was thoroughly engrossed by this airport-bookstore-like thriller. High school students would love this mystery-suspense adult novel, so I have to make sure I buy a copy for our library.[return][return]Kate Bickford is a successful suburban single mother with an adopted lovely 11 year old boy. Everything is normal until he disappears after his Little League game. Over the next few days, Kate (unrealistically) takes on characteristics of Jack Bauer and helps lead an investigation of her missing ...more
T.M. Carper
A great thriller! Kate Bickford is at her son's Little League game when he vanishes. She races home, hoping he got a ride back there, only to find a man in black demanding her life savings, which was left by her deceased husband, in order to have her son returned.

The man is following what he calls "The Method". He's ex-Special Forces with a more personal stake in this particular kidnapping than anyone knows at the beginning.

When the police show up at Kate's house, they find a body in her freezer
Kelsie Smith
Oct 12, 2011 Kelsie Smith rated it really liked it
This book was very interesting and a big thriller. This book started out slow, but once you got to through a couple chapters it was already getting pretty good and began to keep my interest. The protagonist, Kate Bickford, has only one child, Tommy. Kate and her husband, who passed away, had adopted Tommy when he was very young. Tommy gets kidnapped and Kate starts to freak out. Instead of finding Tommy, when Kate goes home she finds the kidnapper on the couch waiting for her and telling her wha ...more
Monique
Nov 15, 2013 Monique rated it it was ok
Eh...cant really say I loved this book but it was riveting and kept me reading past my bedtime to find out what is going to happen...uh and it was semi exciting and not the best ending..This is the story of successful caterer and super mom Jodie of an adopted son she adores when she finds herself smack dab in her worst nightmare--after a routine happy Little League game her son does not come back..he is gone. As she struggles with the obvious pain and confusion of a mother who's lost their most ...more
LindyLouMac
A psychological thriller that my husband and a cousin have both recommended to me recently. The novel is a psychologically disturbing thriller about just how far a parent will go for their child.

The protagonist Kate Bickford is a young widow with one son Tomas whose world falls apart when he is abducted. The problem is that the kidnapper Captain Stephen Cutter, whom the reader knows all about, does not consider that he is one! Intriguingly he considers that kidnappers are vile monsters. He sees
Grace Hamilton
Mar 31, 2015 Grace Hamilton rated it it was amazing
This story started out by grabbing the reader from the first page, the evil expended within the first chapter had me putting the book down because I just couldn't cope with it and then picking it up because really it was so riveting that I couldn't put it down. It was this way throughout the book... What fabulous imagination and brilliantly written story, recommended to all those who have an interest in a psychological thriller.
Kristen
Apr 19, 2012 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: series-thriller, 2012
In Taken, you're taken for a wild ride in Kate Bickford's life. In a blink of an eye, we witness her struggle, her pain, when her adoptive son's been kidnapped. I felt her torment, when she's a lone widow, missing her late husband. When she shared her backstory through memories of meeting Ted, of marriage and adoption of a baby, and when he was sick, my heart went out to Kate, who raised her son all by herself. She, alone, supported them by starting her own successful catering business. In this ...more
Mischelle
Apr 22, 2013 Mischelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed listening to this story. It is read and narrated by a woman and a male. I love this!

I should have listen to this one first before TRAPPED. This story is a little bit of an intro to Randall Shane. In this story, Shane has to have the client drive him around because he didn't drive ever sense his family got into an auto accident.

A mother has her 11 year old son kidnapped after a little league game and she is frame for a crime in the process of trying to get her son back. The authorities
Chris Sherrington
I was gripped from the first page. Could not put down. You will not be disappointed with this.
Sue
May 26, 2009 Sue rated it it was ok
Cindy
Apr 23, 2014 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Great!
Shannon Clark
Jan 01, 2013 Shannon Clark rated it really liked it
First of all let me say that I have got to STOP reading other reviews before I read a book. I end up picking up on things that I might not have picked up on. That being said, I had a hard time deciding on whether to give this one 3or 4 stars. And that's probably due to those reviews I read. :) So I went with 4 stars.

This book had me gritting my teeth the whole time. I wanted to help her out with finding her son. Unfortunately, I'm just a reader so I couldn't. :)

Brandon Schlinker
Almost threw the book across the room. The narrator is completely one-dimensional and is always in a 'huff' about something. This makes the book painful to read, regardless of whether the rest of the story is interesting. (I would struggle to have a conversation with the narrator for more then 5 minutes in real-life, given that the narrator appears to 'freak out' every 10 seconds, so a book written from that perspective isn't for me).
Dion
Mar 24, 2014 Dion rated it really liked it
7/10
Some fresh twists and compelling writing.
I wasn't always convinced by the tone of the female protagonist's point of view; this suited the rest of the characters more.
Angie Cronje
May 26, 2011 Angie Cronje rated it liked it
This was a very good book if you are in the mood for something that's not supernatural. If you feel you want to take a break and try something else this is a good read. Its a story about parents and to what extent they will go to save a child/keep a child safe. The story unfolds in every chapter, which keeps you in suspense all the way through till the end! Its worth a read!
Lucy
Feb 02, 2009 Lucy rated it liked it
When her son is taken widowed caterer, Kate Bickford becomes the prime suspect. She can not get anyone to believe her and she transforms herself into the kind of super-brave, super-sleuth, super-mom, I'd like to imagine I would be in the same circumstances. There are thirlling twists and an unforgettable character introduced in this flawed but exciting novel
Sondra
May 27, 2009 Sondra rated it it was amazing
I picked this book, because I thought it was the one that the Liam Neeson movie was made. It isn't, but no regrets! I thought it was a very suspenseful book. It was written well, giving as little information needed to keep you thinking in other directions. I was rather surprised by the entire story! Now, I have to get the other Taken.
Nancy Hesse
Aug 04, 2012 Nancy Hesse rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the story but the editing errors frustrated me beyond belief. The term is battle-scarred not battle-scared. We don't access a situation we assess it. If those errors (among others) happened once I could overlook however they were used consistently wrong. Please for the sake of good literature, get an editor!!!
Bonnie Despain
Jan 20, 2009 Bonnie Despain rated it liked it
A bit of a guilty pleasure. The more I read, the more unlikely it became. Began to seem like a movie that goes over the top and you just suspend belief, sit back, and enjoy the escape. A good read on those terms, you the characters are interesting and likable.
Wendie
Sep 25, 2012 Wendie rated it really liked it
Another novel about the lengths a mother will go to for her son. Parts of "Taken" are somewhat brutal, since the kidnapper has no qualms about taking out anyone in his way. The reason for the kidnapping isn't apparent until near the end, and it's quite a surprise.
Anna
Jan 28, 2015 Anna rated it it was amazing
so awesome
Joanie
Jan 07, 2010 Joanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is about what a mother will go through to save her child. The inner strength and the extra sense that she received. A book that you wanted to sit down and start to read and not stop til it was done!
Leo Martin
May 23, 2009 Leo Martin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, 2009
The Drama. The book is good, because of the drama. Kate in the story is a very devoted mother willing to risk everything just for the safety of her adopted son. Hail, All mothers! Belated Happy Mother's Day!
  • Boneyard (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #2)
  • Revenant
  • Suspect
  • The Guilty (Henry Parker, #2)
  • The Puppet Master
  • Red Blooded Murder (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #2)
  • Chillwater Cove
  • Whitewash
  • The Death List
  • The Hunted
  • Unknown Means
  • Double Vision (Dr. Jenna Ramey #2)
  • The Bonemender (The Bonemender, #1)
  • Children of the Plantation
  • Nowhere to Run (KEY News #6)
  • Target
  • Truth and Consequences (Hearts of the South, #1)
  • Sleep Softly
Aka Rodman Philbrick, William R. Dantz, W.R. Philbrick

Rodman Philbrick is an outstanding author who has won the prestigious American Library Association Best Book for Young Adults and Quick Pick Awards. Freak the Mighty has been made into a Hollywood film.

Librarian Note: There are several authors in the GoodReads database with this name.

Artist/Photographer Chris Jordan
Pastor Chris Jordan

More about Chris Jordan...

Randall Shane (4 books)
  • Trapped  (Randall Shane, #2)
  • Torn   (Randall Shane, #3)
  • Measure of Darkness (Randall Shane, #4)