Kull

Kull (The Robert E. Howard Library #2)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  10 reviews
KULL

KING OF KINGS

On the throne of Valusia sits the dauntless king of barbarian days, Kull, savage outlaw, fierce gladiator, soldier, commander and king of kings who dreamed of golden destiny. Now the dream has become reality, great Kull has slain the despotic King Borna, ripped the crown from his gory head, and mounted his throne as ruler of Valusia, land of dreams, mighti...more
Mass Market Paperback, 190 pages
Published September 1978 by Bantam Books

To ask other readers questions about Kull, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kull

Cwn_annwn_13
Kull was Robert E Howards pre-Conan sword and sorcery character so you could make a case that Kull is where the fantasy genre began. Kull follows a formula similar to the Conan stories where the stories often resemble horror and/or Lovecraft stories as much as fantasy. However Kull, while similar to Conan, is a very different character also. He is more of a silent brooding character than the more wild barbaric Conan. Through might Kull has become King of a mighty empire but must deal with consta...more
Derek
Except for the introductory story "Exile of Atlantis", they all operate consistently and common themes repeat. Kull is king, and trouble either comes to him or he goes looking for it. A young couple wish to marry despite social barriers. Kull stands on the brink of otherworldly knowledge.

I wonder if Howard ditched the character because the stories were running out of gas. The Conan series as he originally wrote them had greater diversity in terms of plot and setting.
J
I don’t know how it happened but I’ve found myself on a Robert E. Howard kick. Whereas my first go round with Howard was focused mostly on Conan, I find that his other characters engender more interest for me now.

Probably, this is due to Howard’s writing. He has an extraordinary way with an adventure tale, regardless of the characters involved. His writing is spare in many cases but can wax almost poetic in descriptions of people, places and things. I find it very engaging.

The collected tales of...more
Mike McDevitt
Just finished my first Robert Howard. Not bad at all. Bare-chested savage king gets all stabby with snake-men- what's not to like?
My favorite story was 'Delcardes' Cat' for its fun premise, freaky creatures, and a certain skull-headed wizard I saw once in a movie. No, not Skeletor.
I enjoy the Frank Frazetta cover art: mostly because I think Kull has ignored or possibly shoved in the face the two gals in metal pasties in order to reach that mighty sea serpent! (This collection mentions often that...more
Charles
The Kull stories are more reflective than Howard's Conan tales, and than some of his other heroic fantasy characters. Thus, they often move a bit slower. But they are still filled with Howard's trademarked description and his energy. Good stuff.
The Book Geek
I have to admit that out of all of the Howard books that I have read this one so far was one of my least favorite. It was okay, but just hard to imagine a time before time where people seemed much like what we imagine a few thousand years ago.
Jim
I'm fairly sure this edition is the one that is pretty much just Howard & has fragmented stories in it. I didn't like it as well as the earlier Lancer edition that had all the stories finished by Carter & DeCamp (I think).
Randy
Jul 30, 2008 Randy added it
Recommends it for: fantasy, Howard fans
These are Howard's stories of the barbarian King as he wrote them, including unfinished fragments, and a poem.
Charles
This is a slightly different selection of pieces than the book King Kull.
Chris
Kull is probably my least favorite Howard character.
JJ
JJ marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Adrian Burrows
Adrian Burrows is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2014
Brian Boling
Brian Boling marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Actually, a complete edition? 1 1 May 01, 2013 05:39AM
Robert Ervin Howard was an American pulp writer of fantasy, horror, historical adventure, boxing, western, and detective fiction. Howard wrote "over three-hundred stories and seven-hundred poems of raw power and unbridled emotion" and is especially noted for his memorable depictions of "a sombre universe of swashbuckling adventure and darkling horror."

He is well known for having created — in the p...more
More about Robert E. Howard...
The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian (Conan the Cimmerian, #1) The Conquering Sword of Conan (Conan the Cimmerian, #3) Conan of Cimmeria (Conan 2) The Bloody Crown of Conan (Conan the Cimmerian, #2) The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane