Start by marking “Kull” as Want to Read:
Kull

Kull (The Robert E. Howard Library #2)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  174 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
KULL

KING OF KINGS

On the throne of Valusia sits the dauntless king of barbarian days, Kull, savage outlaw, fierce gladiator, soldier, commander and king of kings who dreamed of golden destiny. Now the dream has become reality, great Kull has slain the despotic King Borna, ripped the crown from his gory head, and mounted his throne as ruler of Valusia, land of dreams, mighti
Mass Market Paperback, 190 pages
Published September 1978 by Bantam Books

To ask other readers questions about Kull, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kull

Cwn_annwn_13
Kull was Robert E Howards pre-Conan sword and sorcery character so you could make a case that Kull is where the fantasy genre began. Kull follows a formula similar to the Conan stories where the stories often resemble horror and/or Lovecraft stories as much as fantasy. However Kull, while similar to Conan, is a very different character also. He is more of a silent brooding character than the more wild barbaric Conan. Through might Kull has become King of a mighty empire but must deal with consta ...more
Brendan
Feb 04, 2016 Brendan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read about half of this as a fill-in while waiting for holds to come in at the library. Holds came in, so I'm not finishing. Most of these stories were not published during Howard's lifetime, but, to be fair, that's only because they are not very good. If you are familiar with Conan or Solomon Kane stories, you know that they vary pretty widely in quality. These are worse than all of those.

"The Shadow Kingdom" is the exception--it moves quickly and sets up a really cool and interesting scenario
Derek
Except for the introductory story "Exile of Atlantis", they all operate consistently and common themes repeat. Kull is king, and trouble either comes to him or he goes looking for it. A young couple wish to marry despite social barriers. Kull stands on the brink of otherworldly knowledge.

I wonder if Howard ditched the character because the stories were running out of gas. The Conan series as he originally wrote them had greater diversity in terms of plot and setting.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 27, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it did not like it
Robert E. Howard is my all time favorite writer, but for many years much of his work was heavily edited. This is another of the heavily edited collections of Robert E. Howard's stories. I am a purist when it comes to a writers works. I know some of these stories are no longer PC but they should be read as Howard wrote them and understood that he wrote in another time period. Don't read this book unless you just can't find any others of Howard's unedited books to read. Message me if you need a li ...more
East Bay J
I don’t know how it happened but I’ve found myself on a Robert E. Howard kick. Whereas my first go round with Howard was focused mostly on Conan, I find that his other characters engender more interest for me now.

Probably, this is due to Howard’s writing. He has an extraordinary way with an adventure tale, regardless of the characters involved. His writing is spare in many cases but can wax almost poetic in descriptions of people, places and things. I find it very engaging.

The collected tales of
Mike McDevitt
Apr 03, 2011 Mike McDevitt rated it liked it
Just finished my first Robert Howard. Not bad at all. Bare-chested savage king gets all stabby with snake-men- what's not to like?
My favorite story was 'Delcardes' Cat' for its fun premise, freaky creatures, and a certain skull-headed wizard I saw once in a movie. No, not Skeletor.
I enjoy the Frank Frazetta cover art: mostly because I think Kull has ignored or possibly shoved in the face the two gals in metal pasties in order to reach that mighty sea serpent! (This collection mentions often that
Puch
Dec 26, 2015 Puch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic, which every expert on the genre should read.
Charles
Jul 10, 2009 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Kull stories are more reflective than Howard's Conan tales, and than some of his other heroic fantasy characters. Thus, they often move a bit slower. But they are still filled with Howard's trademarked description and his energy. Good stuff.
Dan
Mar 10, 2013 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that out of all of the Howard books that I have read this one so far was one of my least favorite. It was okay, but just hard to imagine a time before time where people seemed much like what we imagine a few thousand years ago.
Jim
I'm fairly sure this edition is the one that is pretty much just Howard & has fragmented stories in it. I didn't like it as well as the earlier Lancer edition that had all the stories finished by Carter & DeCamp (I think).
Randy
Jul 30, 2008 Randy added it
Recommends it for: fantasy, Howard fans
These are Howard's stories of the barbarian King as he wrote them, including unfinished fragments, and a poem.
Charles
Jan 02, 2009 Charles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This is a slightly different selection of pieces than the book King Kull.
Chris
Mar 15, 2009 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kull is probably my least favorite Howard character.
Myrdon-Ward
Myrdon-Ward marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Gerald
Gerald rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Dave Wells
Dave Wells marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Mitchell Kozak
Mitchell Kozak rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Ethan Nahté
Ethan Nahté marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Jim
Jim added it
Apr 07, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Johnno Payne
Johnno Payne rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Cyborg Caveman
Cyborg Caveman rated it liked it
Rob Armbruster
Rob Armbruster marked it as to-read
Rob Armbruster
Rob Armbruster marked it as to-read
Taalteek
Taalteek rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Eldritch
Eldritch marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
The Book Hermit
The Book Hermit marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Actually, a complete edition? 1 2 May 01, 2013 05:39AM
  • In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • Sanctuary (Thieves' World, #1-3)
  • Greyhaven
  • 100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories
  • Highwaymen: Robbers and Rogues
  • 100 Hair-Raising Little Horror Stories
  • Water Spirits (The Enchanted World Series)
  • The Medici Giraffe and Other Tales of Exotic Animals and Power
  • Hollow Earth: The Long and Curious History of Imagining Strange Lands, Fantastical Creatures, Advanced Civilizations, and Marvelous Machines Below the Earth's Surface
  • May There Be a Road: Stories
  • The Sicilian/Omerta
  • The Mammoth Book of Pirates: Over 25 True Tales of Devilry and Daring by the Most Infamous Pirates of All Time
  • The Dorsai Companion (Childe Cycle, #8)
  • Shield
  • The Complete Costume History / Vollstandige Kostumgeschichte / Le Costume Historique
  • Space Viking
Robert Ervin Howard was an American pulp writer of fantasy, horror, historical adventure, boxing, western, and detective fiction. Howard wrote "over three-hundred stories and seven-hundred poems of raw power and unbridled emotion" and is especially noted for his memorable depictions of "a sombre universe of swashbuckling adventure and darkling horror."

He is well known for having created — in the p
More about Robert E. Howard...

The Robert E. Howard Library (6 books)
  • Cormac Mac Art (The Robert E. Howard Library, Vol. I)
  • The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane
  • Eons of the Night
  • Trails in Darkness
  • Beyond The Borders (The Robert E. Howard Library, Vol. VII)