Start by marking “The Girl with the Silver Eyes” as Want to Read:
The Girl with the Silver Eyes

The Girl with the Silver Eyes

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  6,466 ratings  ·  410 reviews
A 10-year-old girl, who has always looked different from other children, discovers that she not only has unusual powers but that there are others like her.
Published September 10th 1988 by Scholastic (first published July 1st 1980)

Wendy Darling
Reread for our classics discussion on Friday 8/28! :)

******

One of the first scifi/paranormal books I ever remember reading, and one that still holds up as an adult. I loved the whole idea of a girl with telekinetic powers who doesn't fit anywhere--until she finds out that there is a small group of other kids just like her. Well-written with memorable characters (and a lovely old cat), it's one of the first books that started my love for non-realistic fiction.

This one's a bit obscure, but it's s
Sean
Jun 19, 2007 Sean rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids and adults who like kid books
This was one of my favorite books for a long time. I reread it at regular intervals, and never ceased to thrill every time Katie learned to use her powers in a different and more spectacular way. I identified strongly with Katie, I think, because I was also an extremely precocious child whom grownups found intimidating and inscrutable, and I valued anyone who treated me like a real person instead of a freak or a "genius."
Wendy Darling
One of the first scifi/paranormal books I ever remember reading, and one that still holds up as an adult. I loved the whole idea of a girl with telekinetic powers who doesn't fit anywhere--until she finds out that there is a small group of other kids just like her. Well-written with memorable characters, it's the book that started my love for supernatural books. It's a shame the author's other books never really lived up to this one.
Carrie
I read this so many times as a child, and wished I was a character in the book.
Susan
I admit, I haven't read this book in at least 20 years, probably 4th or 5th grade, but I loved it back then!

I think most kids (adults too) relate to stories where the protagonist is 'different' but discovers that not only are the differences a good thing (super powers), but that they may someday find others who are like them.

I'm tempted to pick up this book again, but I have such good memories that I'm not sure I want to chance rereading it with grown-up eyes.
John
First of all: holy crap. Dave sent this to me out of the blue, and when I pulled it out of the bubble envelope, I almost jumped. A real icy blast from the past.

But by way of direct review: loved it when I was a kid, loved it again. Had to stay up and read it even though I didn't collect it from the mail until last thing at night. I definitely read it with more of a sinister bent than a kids' book warrants, but I like it better that way.

A girl with silver eyes and mysterious powers (telekinesis a
HeavyReader
My sister had a copy of this book when we were kids and she read it over and over again. I don't know why I never read it. I typically read anything and everything that was lying around the house. Maybe Sis never let go of it long enough for me to read it.

I knew that the book involved a little girl who could move things with her mind. Sometimes I tried to do that too. I never had any success, but I halfway believed I couldn't do it because I didn't believe I could do it.

When I decided to read no
Colin
I'm starting to notice a pattern here; a lot of the books I really liked as a kid had to do with extra smart kids who wore glasses and were bookish and somewhat socially awkward. Huh. I liked that this book in particular draws a very specific parallel between disability and people's fear of difference. Again, no wonder I liked it.
Jessica
Sort of "Carrie", only more fun than horrifying. A young girl with silver eyes and some mysterious powers decides to use her powers to fight back when her uniqueness becomes a matter of scientific interest. Along the way she discovers that she isn't the only one thus "gifted". . . .
Tamara the Librarian
Pretty good story. Solidly written. Built a decent amount of suspense. Need to find if there's a sequel. A decent kid version of the X-men (with magic powers not quite as exciting).

Loneliness, being different, adults not respecting kids
Nayad Monroe
I loved this book when I was around the age of the protagonist, Katie--around 10 or so. Re-reading it this afternoon, I see how it's a great book for kids, although as an adult I see some weak places in the plot. Still, it's a fun book.
Pili
This month I read the #tmgreadalong book on time and I really enjoyed it!
I keep on thinking how much I would have liked to have read this one as a young girl and how I would have dreamed that I could also move things with my mind, like Katie does.

Katie has just moved into a new place with her mum and she's having to adapt to the new place and living with her mother and a new place and new people. Something that might be hard for any kid, but Katie has never been a normal kid, and adults tend to
Kirsten
This book made a huge impression on me when I was a kid, and I've since learned that many other people remember it fondly. I was pleased to find that it holds up pretty well on re-reading, although it's shorter and less in-depth than I remembered -- I apparently inadvertantly mixed in some plot elements from Stephen King's Firestarter in my recollection.

Anyway, like I said, it holds up well. Katie, who has psychokinetic powers, remains a wonderfully precocious and slightly off-putting protagonis
Alice
I read this book when I was younger, and I remember liking it very much, but I couldn't remember why.

Katie Welker is an unusual girl. She creeps people out, because of her flat expression and silver-colored eyes. That's even before they know that she can move small objects with her mind, call up breezes that can slam doors and scatter papers, and she can communicate with animals. When her grandmother, who's been taking care of her most of her life, passes away unexpectedly, she goes to live with
Swankivy
I'm gonna guess this was one of the first books I read that featured a main character who lived in the modern, ordinary world but had extraordinary abilities. That's what I liked about it, and it was probably my first exposure to a fictional character with telekinetic powers. ::sniffle--ahh, the memories!:: But you know what? The book itself is kinda one-dimensional. The characters are odd and they're in a situation that just seems really written and contrived. Katie's quest to find others like ...more
Robyn
i really and truly loved this book as a child, and I think it's grossly overlooked and underrated. Katie, the main character, is at once easy to identify with and very alien, which makes for a very compelling combination. Katie is a normal girl in many ways, and does many of the things with her power that we all would; shutting off lights from across the room, and playing tricks. However, she is very strange, and this sets her apart from the reader, making this something other than a simple wish ...more
ambyr
I loved this book when I was a kid, so I was happy to find it stood up to adult reading. It's refreshing to find a tale of psychic children who use their powers not to save the world but to make their beds, harass their babysitters, and generally act like kids. The conflict arises from misunderstandings between kids and adults, not some evil opposing force.

In short, there's no "with great power comes great responsibility" here, just good old-fashioned fun. And it is old-fashioned in a certain s
Samrat
Mar 26, 2014 Samrat rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Samrat by: Jenny Gubernick
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, ya, magickery
I adore personal recommendations, and I don't usually wait two years to act on them, oops. Give me more, though. Seriously. So, I can't remember if there was a specific context to this one or whether it was a beloved childhood classic being passed on or what, but this was delightful.

As far as I know, I've never read Willo Davis Roberts, but I can see she would have been an extremely influential author had I discovered her at a younger age. As it was, this is a juvenile book. A nice change after
Obiealdana
it was so cool how she had telekinetic powers. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Katharine
The Girl With the Silver Eyes is based on a similar idea as Roald Dahl's Matilda, that is: what would happen if a little girl had a telekinetic ability?

What I liked about The Girl with the Silver Eyes is that it was focused more on normal everyday type circumstances and people finding connection in their differences rather than focusing primarily on the fantastic.
In Matilda, the heroine suffers misunderstanding on all sides, and exacts childish revenge on her tormenters. She is put against a f
Julie Decker
This book was the story of Katie, an isolated and awkward girl who secretly has unexplained superpowers. As she struggles to discover the secrets in her past that made her so different from her peers, she also draws closer to finding others like herself. The pressure is on when someone who seems very curious about her moves into the same apartment complex and starts asking about her.

This was probably the first book I read about a modern-day child who had unusual abilities, and that's one of the
Liz
I read this book time and time again when I was younger, but unfortunately on an attempted reread to decide whether it was worth saving from my massive book donation spree, it didn't hold up.

Probably something to do with the fact that a character is a nasty guy, and his balding head is supposed to support this. Meanwhile, my boyfriend is balding and he's the loveliest person I've ever met. I mean, I would say that, but it's kind of true.

Quite soon after, there was Mrs H, a prospective babysitter
Aurelia Mirren
I like everything about this book. Everything except it. And that "it" is the main character.

Wait! Pitchforks down! I didn't say I hate the MC. She's a nice little girl. Not being sarcastic. Anyway, the MC is okay, but what I didn't like about her is that she's not... Realistic.

Yes, this is fiction and the MC has this supernatural powers due to some experiment or something but still, she's unreal.

I mean, how can any baby NOT cry when he/she was born? It's almost the same as saying humans can
Frankie
I thought that it was a very interesting book and I'm happy that Katie found other kids like her
Note to self: do not ruin the alluring nostalgia feel of books you read as a child. The Girl with the Silver Eyes was one of my favorites, what with the secrets and the telekinesis and all: I ate that stuff up like crazy as a kid. Sadly, it did not hold the same appeal for a grown-up me. Hackneyed writing veers into short didactic passages, and the ending is so, so pat. I would have liked to see more development between Katie and her mom, and Katie and her powers.
Shawn Thrasher
If Judy Blume (or maybe Cynthia Voigt) wrote Harry Potter, you might have ended up with something like The Girl With the Silver Eyes. There is much attention paid to Katie's relationship with her uncaring mother and her mother's gross boyfriend, and less detail paid to Katie's special powers (not magical, but seemingly so). The girl on the cover of the edition I read as a kid, and re-read as an adult, looks straight out of 1979. I think I went to elementary school with this girl, sans silver eye ...more
Melinda
I went through a period about age 12-14 when I was tremendously lonely; I read and reread this book repeatedly. It made me feel better, though I reminded myself I would not want to be snide nor hurt anyone. It gave me hope that I might find others that would understand and care about me, which did indeed happen. Though there are days when I'm still a little lonely, it passes when I realize how many vibrant, intelligent, lively, and cheerful people I know!
Marathon County Public Library MCPL
Ten-year-old Katie Welker knows that she’s different in more ways than just having those unusual silver eyes which freak other people out. She can move things just by thinking about them and read the minds of cats, but what else might she be capable of. After she discovers that her mother took a drug while she was pregnant that was later removed from the market she begins searching for other kids that might be like her. Her search becomes more intense when pesky neighbors begin asking questions ...more
Amanda Harris
Katie Welker is not like all the other kids. It all started when she was a baby...she never cried and as she got older people just felt uneasy around her. Not only that, but Katie's eyes are strange, their silver. Katie also has certain abilities...she can make things move without touching them. It's called telekinesis. Katie's parents are divorced and neither of them really have the means to take care of her, so Katie is shipped to her grandmother's house where she doesn't feel wanted.

Tragedy
  • Anna to the Infinite Power
  • Behind the Attic Wall
  • Ghosts I Have Been (Blossom Culp, #2)
  • Midnight in the Dollhouse (Apple)
  • This Place Has No Atmosphere
  • Into the Dream
  • The Forgotten Door
  • The Fairy Rebel
  • What the Witch Left
  • Anastasia Krupnik (Anastasia Krupnik, #1)
  • The Dollhouse Murders
  • Peppermints in the Parlor
  • Ellen Tebbits (Ellen & Otis, #1)
  • Nothing's Fair in Fifth Grade
  • And All Between (Green Sky, #2)
  • Witch Water (Witch Saga, #2)
  • Being of Two Minds
  • Lizard Music
Willo Davis Roberts was an American writer chiefly known for her mystery novels for children and young adults. She won Edgar Allan Poe awards in 1989, 1995, and 1997 for best juvenile and best young adult mysteries. Her books included The View from the Cherry Tree, Twisted Summer, Don't Hurt Laurie, Megan's Island, Baby-sitting is a Dangerous Job, Hostage, The Girl with Silver Eyes, The One Left B ...more
More about Willo Davis Roberts...
The View from the Cherry Tree The One Left Behind Don't Hurt Laurie Twisted Summer Hostage