Start by marking “The Girl with the Silver Eyes” as Want to Read:
The Girl with the Silver Eyes

The Girl with the Silver Eyes

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,057 Ratings  ·  464 Reviews
A 10-year-old girl, who has always looked different from other children, discovers that she not only has unusual powers but that there are others like her.
Published September 1st 1988 by Scholastic (first published July 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl with the Silver Eyes, please sign up.

Molly I did it for my book club book too.
Who is the main character?
What do you think is going to happen next?
What do you think is the main problem?
Can…more
I did it for my book club book too.
Who is the main character?
What do you think is going to happen next?
What do you think is the main problem?
Can you relate to any of the characters?
(less)
Molly Yes, if she can handle the police coming after someone her age.

Wendy Darling
Reread for our classics discussion on Friday 8/28! :)

******

One of the first scifi/paranormal books I ever remember reading, and one that still holds up as an adult. I loved the whole idea of a girl with telekinetic powers who doesn't fit anywhere--until she finds out that there is a small group of other kids just like her. Well-written with memorable characters (and a lovely old cat), it's one of the first books that started my love for non-realistic fiction.

This one's a bit obscure, but it's s
Sean
Jun 19, 2007 Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids and adults who like kid books
This was one of my favorite books for a long time. I reread it at regular intervals, and never ceased to thrill every time Katie learned to use her powers in a different and more spectacular way. I identified strongly with Katie, I think, because I was also an extremely precocious child whom grownups found intimidating and inscrutable, and I valued anyone who treated me like a real person instead of a freak or a "genius."
Wendy Darling
One of the first scifi/paranormal books I ever remember reading, and one that still holds up as an adult. I loved the whole idea of a girl with telekinetic powers who doesn't fit anywhere--until she finds out that there is a small group of other kids just like her. Well-written with memorable characters, it's the book that started my love for supernatural books. It's a shame the author's other books never really lived up to this one.
Carrie
I read this so many times as a child, and wished I was a character in the book.
Louie
Dec 07, 2015 Louie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing classic, sci-fi read. I should have read this a long time ago and if you haven't read this yet, I really think you should amend that.
Susan
Mar 22, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
I admit, I haven't read this book in at least 20 years, probably 4th or 5th grade, but I loved it back then!

I think most kids (adults too) relate to stories where the protagonist is 'different' but discovers that not only are the differences a good thing (super powers), but that they may someday find others who are like them.

I'm tempted to pick up this book again, but I have such good memories that I'm not sure I want to chance rereading it with grown-up eyes.
John
First of all: holy crap. Dave sent this to me out of the blue, and when I pulled it out of the bubble envelope, I almost jumped. A real icy blast from the past.

But by way of direct review: loved it when I was a kid, loved it again. Had to stay up and read it even though I didn't collect it from the mail until last thing at night. I definitely read it with more of a sinister bent than a kids' book warrants, but I like it better that way.

A girl with silver eyes and mysterious powers (telekinesis a
Kirsten
This book made a huge impression on me when I was a kid, and I've since learned that many other people remember it fondly. I was pleased to find that it holds up pretty well on re-reading, although it's shorter and less in-depth than I remembered -- I apparently inadvertantly mixed in some plot elements from Stephen King's Firestarter in my recollection.

Anyway, like I said, it holds up well. Katie, who has psychokinetic powers, remains a wonderfully precocious and slightly off-putting protagonis
HeavyReader
Feb 22, 2012 HeavyReader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My sister had a copy of this book when we were kids and she read it over and over again. I don't know why I never read it. I typically read anything and everything that was lying around the house. Maybe Sis never let go of it long enough for me to read it.

I knew that the book involved a little girl who could move things with her mind. Sometimes I tried to do that too. I never had any success, but I halfway believed I couldn't do it because I didn't believe I could do it.

When I decided to read no
ambyr
I loved this book when I was a kid, so I was happy to find it stood up to adult reading. It's refreshing to find a tale of psychic children who use their powers not to save the world but to make their beds, harass their babysitters, and generally act like kids. The conflict arises from misunderstandings between kids and adults, not some evil opposing force.

In short, there's no "with great power comes great responsibility" here, just good old-fashioned fun. And it is old-fashioned in a certain s
Colin
I'm starting to notice a pattern here; a lot of the books I really liked as a kid had to do with extra smart kids who wore glasses and were bookish and somewhat socially awkward. Huh. I liked that this book in particular draws a very specific parallel between disability and people's fear of difference. Again, no wonder I liked it.
Jessica
May 29, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sort of "Carrie", only more fun than horrifying. A young girl with silver eyes and some mysterious powers decides to use her powers to fight back when her uniqueness becomes a matter of scientific interest. Along the way she discovers that she isn't the only one thus "gifted". . . .
Tamara the Librarian
Jan 03, 2012 Tamara the Librarian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4th, 5th-and-up
Pretty good story. Solidly written. Built a decent amount of suspense. Need to find if there's a sequel. A decent kid version of the X-men (with magic powers not quite as exciting).

Loneliness, being different, adults not respecting kids
Nayad Monroe
Jul 26, 2010 Nayad Monroe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff, ya
I loved this book when I was around the age of the protagonist, Katie--around 10 or so. Re-reading it this afternoon, I see how it's a great book for kids, although as an adult I see some weak places in the plot. Still, it's a fun book.
rivka
Jul 16, 2007 rivka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids, especially "gifted" kids
Shelves: kids
I had forgotten about this book! It was a marvelous book for a kid who was used to being seen by her peers as "too smart."
Pili
This month I read the #tmgreadalong book on time and I really enjoyed it!
I keep on thinking how much I would have liked to have read this one as a young girl and how I would have dreamed that I could also move things with my mind, like Katie does.

Katie has just moved into a new place with her mum and she's having to adapt to the new place and living with her mother and a new place and new people. Something that might be hard for any kid, but Katie has never been a normal kid, and adults tend to
Katharine
The Girl With the Silver Eyes is based on a similar idea as Roald Dahl's Matilda, that is: what would happen if a little girl had a telekinetic ability?

What I liked about The Girl with the Silver Eyes is that it was focused more on normal everyday type circumstances and people finding connection in their differences rather than focusing primarily on the fantastic.
In Matilda, the heroine suffers misunderstanding on all sides, and exacts childish revenge on her tormenters. She is put against a f
Alice
I read this book when I was younger, and I remember liking it very much, but I couldn't remember why.

Katie Welker is an unusual girl. She creeps people out, because of her flat expression and silver-colored eyes. That's even before they know that she can move small objects with her mind, call up breezes that can slam doors and scatter papers, and she can communicate with animals. When her grandmother, who's been taking care of her most of her life, passes away unexpectedly, she goes to live with
Swankivy
I'm gonna guess this was one of the first books I read that featured a main character who lived in the modern, ordinary world but had extraordinary abilities. That's what I liked about it, and it was probably my first exposure to a fictional character with telekinetic powers. ::sniffle--ahh, the memories!:: But you know what? The book itself is kinda one-dimensional. The characters are odd and they're in a situation that just seems really written and contrived. Katie's quest to find others like ...more
Robyn
Mar 26, 2011 Robyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i really and truly loved this book as a child, and I think it's grossly overlooked and underrated. Katie, the main character, is at once easy to identify with and very alien, which makes for a very compelling combination. Katie is a normal girl in many ways, and does many of the things with her power that we all would; shutting off lights from across the room, and playing tricks. However, she is very strange, and this sets her apart from the reader, making this something other than a simple wish ...more
Samrat
Mar 26, 2014 Samrat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Samrat by: J
Shelves: fiction, ya, fantasy, magickery
I adore personal recommendations, and I don't usually wait two years to act on them, oops. Give me more, though. Seriously. So, I can't remember if there was a specific context to this one or whether it was a beloved childhood classic being passed on or what, but this was delightful.

As far as I know, I've never read Willo Davis Roberts, but I can see she would have been an extremely influential author had I discovered her at a younger age. As it was, this is a juvenile book. A nice change after
Amanda
Nov 23, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
Katie has silver eyes, telekinetic powers, and a dearth of friends- even her own mother isn't sure what to do with her. She feels very isolated and increasingly bemused with both her peers and her situation. But when a strange new neighbor starts asking around about her and the unexpected death of her grandmother, and she overheard her mom mention other kids who potentially share her powers, Katie is in a race against the clock to find both safety for herself, and, hopefully, a few true friends. ...more
Tasha Robinson
Re-read this book from my childhood on a whim after running across it at Powell's in Portland. Reminds me a lot of Zenna Henderson's People stories: Kids with supernatural powers who have problems fitting in, and who eventually find each other. It's a "finding your people" fable for younger kids. But it also reminds me a good deal of Jo Walton's Among Others , in that it's a story without a ton of incident, about a young girl reading (real) fantasy books and living a rich inner life. Enjoyable, ...more
Kayleigh Z
Best book ever! it teaches that you are amazing,even if you're different from everyone else.
Kamelyn Abreu
Apr 12, 2016 Kamelyn Abreu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Girl With Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts is a beautiful
Note to self: do not ruin the alluring nostalgia feel of books you read as a child. The Girl with the Silver Eyes was one of my favorites, what with the secrets and the telekinesis and all: I ate that stuff up like crazy as a kid. Sadly, it did not hold the same appeal for a grown-up me. Hackneyed writing veers into short didactic passages, and the ending is so, so pat. I would have liked to see more development between Katie and her mom, and Katie and her powers.
Obiealdana
Apr 01, 2015 Obiealdana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was so cool how she had telekinetic powers. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cynthia Egbert
Another one that I wish I would have read when I was young but I still enjoyed it. Glad that these four children who are not like everyone else found each other.
Brenda
Aug 30, 2015 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brenda by: The Midnight Garden Classic Read-along
Shelves: science-fiction
Originally posted at Log Cabin Library

When Katie Welker was four, her parents got divorced and she began living with her grandmother. But, now that her grandmother is gone, she has moved to the city to live with her mother. Katie has always made people feel nervous, even her family. Maybe it was her silver eyes, or the way that she never expressed any emotion on her face. Or maybe it was because they suspected that she was peculiar and strange things always happened when she was around. Objects
  • Anna to the Infinite Power
  • The Forgotten Door
  • Into the Dream
  • Ghosts I Have Been (Blossom Culp, #2)
  • What the Witch Left
  • Behind the Attic Wall
  • Below the Root (Green Sky, #1)
  • Midnight in the Dollhouse (Apple)
  • This Place Has No Atmosphere
  • The Fairy Rebel
  • The Dollhouse Murders
  • Being of Two Minds
  • My Teacher Glows in the Dark (My Teacher is an Alien, #3)
  • Peppermints in the Parlor
  • Anastasia Krupnik (Anastasia Krupnik, #1)
  • A Gift of Magic
  • The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet (Mushroom Planet, #1)
  • Norby: Robot For Hire (Norby, #3-4)
Willo Davis Roberts was an American writer chiefly known for her mystery novels for children and young adults. She won Edgar Allan Poe awards in 1989, 1995, and 1997 for best juvenile and best young adult mysteries. Her books included The View from the Cherry Tree, Twisted Summer, Don't Hurt Laurie, Megan's Island, Baby-sitting is a Dangerous Job, Hostage, The Girl with Silver Eyes, The One Left B ...more
More about Willo Davis Roberts...