Start by marking “In the Teeth of the Evidence (Lord Peter Wimsey, #14)” as Want to Read:
In the Teeth of the Evidence (Lord Peter Wimsey, #14)

In the Teeth of the Evidence (Lord Peter Wimsey #14)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,174 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
All that was left of the garage was a heap of charred and smouldering beams. In the driving seat of the burnt-out car were the remains of a body...

An accident, said the police.

An accident, said the widow. She had been warning her husband about the danger of the car for months.

Murder, said the famous detective Lord Peter Wimsey--and proceeded to track down the killer.

Thi
Published 1969 by New English Library (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about In the Teeth of the Evidence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Teeth of the Evidence

Nandakishore Varma
A good mystery story is like a magic trick. We all try to find out what the secret is, but we are happy if we are defeated, and a trifle disappointed if we win. The only difference is that the mystery writer reveals her trick at the end, while the magician does not.

If a full length mystery novel is a grand illusion with all the props, the detective short is a parlour trick. The illusion is cumbersome to set up and execute, but when properly done, very effective and hard to see through: the parlo
Bev
Just finished up In the Teeth of the Evidence by Dorothy L Sayers. This collection represents the last bit of Sayers' fiction that I wanted to read...just so I could say I'd re-read all of her fiction this year. The collection is okay. Decent. But I don't think it represents her best work. I much prefer her earlier collections (Lord Peter Views the Body and Hangman's Holiday) and even her final stories found in Striding Folly. The writing itself isn't at fault--it's terrific as always--but the s ...more
Katie
Only two Peter stories and they were rather meh. More Montague Egg, who I still enjoy! You know what his stories kind of remind me of? Encyclopedia Brown. Not that readers are asked to solve the puzzle at the end, but it's the same kind of set up, where there isn't really detection most of the time, just a recitation of facts and our hero is able to brilliantly put them all together.

I do not like Sayers' stand alones though. They are often unpleasant and almost creepy. Not nice people, not nice
Trudy Pomerantz
Aug 03, 2015 Trudy Pomerantz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I loved this collection of short stories by Dorothy Sayers - more particularly the ones that are not Wimsey or Montague Egg. They are probably my favourite Sayers' stories.
Gillian Kevern
I haven't read any Dorothy L. Sayers in a while, so this was a nice reminder of just what a polished author she is! In this collection of 17 stories, I loved 15 of them and the remaining two were average. just a little too melodramatic for my tastes.

Although I am a huge fan of Wimsey, my absolute favourites this time round were the stories starring Travelling Salesman Egg. These were quick reads, enjoyable reads that unfolded very naturally. A reminder of how much is possible in the short story
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I don't usually care for detective short stories, as the solutions tend to be a bit Deus Ex Machina, and the wraps a bit pat. Not even in those days could things be quite so in the groove that you could know to a second where a given person would be. To be honest, I do not care for Mr. Montague Egg and his constant fatuous quotes from the (most likely fictitious, even in his world) Salesman's Handbook. However, given the small number of Egg stories, I get the feeling Miss Sayers didn't care much ...more
Dave
Nov 20, 2013 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating is for the book as a whole. In addition to a few good Wimsey and Montague Egg stories, it mops up a lot of non-series stories by Sayers, all of which are well-written, but most of which are just okay. This distracts from the last three great stories--two supernatural mysteries ("The Leopard Lady" and "The Cyprian Cat"), and one of the greatest short mysteries ever written, "Suspicion." The latter has a last line I remembered from reading it for the first time thirty years ago.
Lydia
Mar 27, 2014 Lydia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories by Dorothy L. Sayers; all on the subject of mysteries and murder, but ranging from the almost silly misunderstandings to very dark murder plots. As with her past short story collections, Lord Peter Views the Body and Hangman's Holiday, this book has a few short stories about Lord Peter Wimsey, a few about Montague Egg and a few with no particular sleuth or recurring character.

As I commented while reading this, I wish Sayers had just released her L.P.W. short storie

Roybot
Jan 31, 2015 Roybot rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Sayers collection is of the old school mystery stories; a crime is committed by persons unknown, the daring detective (or traveling salesman in some of these) turns up and hears the clues. Through clever trickery or astute observations, the detective figures out quickly who the culprit must be, to the surprise of all around. They're perfectly fine stories for what they are, but they read far too much like Encyclopedia Brown stories, to me. This likely comes from both having read every Encyc ...more
Moira Fogarty
A collection of short stories that are long on eerie atmosphere but short on characterization. I enjoyed the audiobook, and feel this makes for great sequential, short-transit fare (Ian Carmichael reads beautifully) but not good single-sitting listening on something like a long, transatlantic flight. Perfect choice for October with some spooky, flesh-crawling tales. Hints of Hitchcock. Creepy felines.

The last story in the collection, "The Cyprian Cat", dips a toe into the supernatural, which is
Daniel Bratell
Feb 09, 2016 Daniel Bratell rated it really liked it
Dorothy L. Sayers really was a master at the suspense/mystery kind of novel and she doesn't disappoint when using the short story format either. This book is a collection of short stories, roughly a third each of Lord Peter Wimsey, Monty Egg and other short stories.

To be fair, I am not a huge fan of the short story format for mysteries since they lack the room necessary for red herrings and wild goose chases, but she still composed excellent novels. I liked the Egg and Wimsey ones best, but some
Rob Smith
Jun 15, 2015 Rob Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
This is my first time reading Dorothy Sayers. This collection of little mysteries and twisty stories are very well written with a solid British foundation.

A few of the stories are a bit over written. Especially those without a solid punch in the end.

Sayers' Peter Whimsey stories seem to me the best of the lot. The Monty Egg stories are more contrived. The third set is a good series of a varied set of characters immersed in all sorts of troubles. Two of these stories are excellent.

Bottom Line: I
Jen
Hmmm. I continue to find Dorothy Sayers' short stories very unsettling. They tend to have a very abrupt ending at the climax, and something in me bitterly wants to know what happens to everyone after the denouement. Also, these stories all seemed more bitter and cynical. Also also, too many stories with clocks!

I did find myself liking Montague Egg a bit more in this set of short stories, though.
Judy
Mar 08, 2014 Judy rated it liked it
A collection of 17 short stories by Dorothy L. Sayers. I generally love reading Sayres, but this book was definitely a mixed bag and was of uneven quality. Two of the stories featured Lord Peter Whimsey, five highlighted the detecting skills of traveling salesman Montague Egg, and the rest went from the amusing to the supernatural. Not my favorite volume by Dorothy L. Sayers.
Teri-k
I really enjoyed the first few stories, both the Lord Peter and Montague Egg ones. However, by the time I reached the end of the book the stories had gotten too dependent on a twisty ending without giving me a good story along the way. So I give it 2.5 stars overall.
C
May 09, 2016 C rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing

Short stories are not my favorite form but these were surely not for me. Only the Wimsey and Montague Egg stories were entertaining. The others were dark and depressing.
Abra
Nov 13, 2014 Abra rated it liked it
Lord Peter Wimsey cannot save this collection of Sayers' short stories from her second-string traveling salesman-sleuth Montague Egg or Sayers' darker cast of thought.
Jill Hutchinson
Nov 15, 2015 Jill Hutchinson rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is an easy read comprised of short stories starring Lord Peter Wimsey, Montague Egg, and other assorted protagonists. Some really good little stories and a couple which make the hair stand up on the back of your neck. Not your typical Dorothy Sayres but a good second book.
Pat
Sep 18, 2015 Pat rated it liked it
D. Sayers has written a collection of quirky short mysteries and stories just for pure entertainment. All the characters are different and most find themselves in a quandry of some kind. I definitely favor her longer books with a continuing character.
Mary W.
Not one of her best. This is a series of short mysteries that do NOT include, for the most part, Lord Peter Wimsey...wow, I missed him!
Mae
Dec 11, 2014 Mae rated it liked it
I picked this up having no idea what I was getting into- turns out it was a series of short mystery stories that got progressively creepier with each one. Fun read! I have another of hers on my desk and I think I'll save it for a boring weekend.
Ronald
May 13, 2016 Ronald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sayers was a great short story writer of Lord Peter Wimsey, far superior to her Lord Peter Wimsey novels; read some time in 1991
Sumit Anvekar
Aug 05, 2016 Sumit Anvekar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My bad that I didn't research enough to know Lord Peter Wimsey was only in one of the stories. Rest others are based on other characters. Nonetheless, good collection of stories.
Penny
Aug 31, 2015 Penny rated it really liked it
I love these clever little stories, especially with the character of Augustus Egg the traveller in fine wines.
Bruce
Jul 22, 2015 Bruce rated it really liked it
A delightful collection of short stories, tending a tad more macabre than some of Sayer's work. Great read.
Ryan
Jan 04, 2014 Ryan rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the Lord Peter stories because of course one does, but the rest were...not so enjoyable. Weird. Tedious and oddly creepy. I don't like Egg much - stories are all variations of the first one I read and he is just too submissively superior. Bunter can be, but he is superior and so its appropriate. The Milk Bottles Dilemma was the best non-Wimsey story and it included Hector Puncheon, a friend of Wimsey, so was also enjoyable.
Linda
Jul 18, 2014 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only read the Peter Wimsey stories. Maybe someday I'll go back and read the others.
Sonia
Ended up reading only two of these stories as the others were Montague Egg not Lord Peter stories.
Heidi
Nov 16, 2015 Heidi rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, 2015-reads
Sadly, I just don't seem to enjoy Ms Sayers in the short story format.
Susan
Aug 19, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
I've always enjoyed all Sayers' Lord Peter mysteries, and there are some lord Peter stories here, as well as some featuring Montague Egg, and others which don't include either detective. They are all very short; for the most part, there's one essential clue than unlocks everything. I confess to enjoying Wimsey much more than Egg. But my favorites here are really neither. What I liked best in this collection were the stories that had a surprising twist at the end, not necessarily having to do wit ...more
  • A Presumption of Death (Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane, #2)
  • Pearls Before Swine (Albert Campion Mystery #12)
  • When in Rome (Roderick Alleyn, #26)
  • To Love and Be Wise (Inspector Alan Grant, #4)
  • Duplicate Death (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #3)
  • The Sibyl in Her Grave (Hilary Tamar, #4)
Dorothy Leigh Sayers was a renowned British author, translator, student of classical and modern languages, and Christian humanist.

Dorothy L. Sayers is best known for her mysteries, a series of novels and short stories set between World War I and World War II that feature English aristocrat and amateur sleuth Lord Peter Wimsey. However, Sayers herself considered her translation of Dante's Divina Co
More about Dorothy L. Sayers...

Lord Peter Wimsey (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Whose Body?  (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #1)
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #2)
  • Unnatural Death (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #3)
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #4)
  • The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club (Lord Peter Wimsey, #5)
  • Strong Poison (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #6)
  • Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
  • Have His Carcase  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #8)
  • Hangman's Holiday: A Collection of Short Mysteries (Lord Peter Wimsey, #9)
  • Murder Must Advertise  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #10)

“unless you take the view that footballers should be picked on their form as players, and not for personal considerations.’ ‘Ah!’ said Mr Bowles, ‘but that’s what Vicar would call a counsel of perfection. People talk a lot about the team spirit and let the best side win, but if you was to sit in this bar and listen to what goes on, it’s all spite and jealousy, or else it’s how to scrape up enough money to entice away some other team’s centre-forward, or it’s complaints about favouritism or wrong decisions, or something that leaves a nasty taste in the mouth. The game’s not what it was when I was a lad. Too much commercialism, and enough back-biting to stock an old maids’ tea-party.” 0 likes