Start by marking “Traumzeit” as Want to Read:
Traumzeit

Barbara Wood

Traumzeit

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  624 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Einmalige E-Book Aktion! Zwei Monate lang können Sie diesen Spitzentitel zum Preis von 4,99 € als E-Book verschlingen!

Lesegenuss von der Bestsellerautorin Barbara Wood:

Als die Engländerin Joanna Drury 1871 in Melbourne ankommt, ahnt sie nicht, in welcher Weise sich ihr Schicksal erfüllen wird. Vierzig Jahre zuvor waren ihre Großeltern nach Australien ausgewandert, um mit d
Paperback
Published by Fischer Taschenbuch Verlag (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Traumzeit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Traumzeit

Nikoleta
Ιστορικά, λαογραφικά και φανταστικά στοιχεία στολίζουν μια φοβερή περιπέτεια που ξεκινάει το 1871 και λήγει το 1886. Μπορεί η βασική ηρωίδα να είναι η Τζοάνα αλλά "ακούμε" σε κεφάλαια τις ανησυχίες και βιώνουμε τις εξελίξεις της ζωής όλων των ηρώων που περιφέρονται γύρω απο την πρωταγωνίστρια σε τριτοπρόσωπη αφήγηση. Πολύ πρωτότυπο και "ζωντανό" βιβλίο, μου άρεσε πολύ.
Amy
This wasn't a book I had heard about elsewhere and was dying to read; it just came across my desk at the library and I snagged it for myself. You can't see the cover, but it's intriguing - Aboriginal designs - and the title "The Dreaming" (a reference to Aboriginal creation stories) and subtitle, "A Novel of Australia" caught my eye. Having recently returned from there and being interested in Aboriginal culture and beliefs, I was hopeful that this book would be well-researched and give me more i ...more
Tara Chevrestt
As always, I am incredibly impressed with Barbara Wood's extensive research into any subject, country, or race she writes about. This novel offers an in depth look at the early colonial days of Australia and how the people lived. Readers will learn about Aborginal superstitions, the sheep trade, kangaroos, dingos, and early immigration. During this education, there is a love story or two, tragedy among families, and revenge plots. This novel follows Johanna from India to Australia where she marr ...more
Kaycee
Although it has been almost 20 years since I read this book (I read it in college, maybe 1992), it was a favorite of mine for years. The story was mesmerizing and really drew me in. Set in Australia it grew my dream of wanting to visit some day, but most important, the main character. I was endeared to her and it was after reading this Barbara Wood novel that I fell in love with the name Joanna. At the end of the story, I thought the name a beautiful name for an adventurous, courageous and lovin ...more
Constance Lapsati
Εκπληκτικό βιβλίο, εκπληκτική Barbara Wood !
Φτάνοντας στην τελευταία σελίδα, ομολογώ πως επέστρεψα στην αρχή και ξεκίνησα να το διαβάζω και δεύτερη φορά.
Amber Andrews
I like the cover..

I enjoyed the book after about the first quarter of it. It was hard for me to get away from the movie "Australia" in my head while reading the beginning and it didn't help that the main male of the story is named Hugh. Woman on a boat, woman finds child, rears child as own after a while. They end there, and the real story takes off. The love triangle portions were predictable and not really enjoyable, but the main story line is very good. The last half of the book was much bet
Rj Resurreccion
(view spoiler) ...more
Sara
I loved all that I learned about Australia in the 1800s, the fascinating lives of the aborigines, the culture clashes, the family mysteries, and the hard work of the sheep farmers. And I really, really loved the mystical aspect of the novel. I felt that the ending was a bit abrupt, though, and I felt a bit unsatisfied by it. Still, I would give another Barbara Wood book a try.
Gayle Mason
Excellant book about Australia and womens relationships with their daughters.
Frances Kulovitz
It was a wonderfully written book just like all of her books. I learned a lot.
Dorottya Bacsi
I'm not really into spiritual views or anything, but even with that, I loved this book! It was so exciting and interesting and nice-paced, I couldn't even put it down. The characters were real and they were really easy to identify myself with, or see their motivation. I liked that most of their conflicts or inner thought processes was based on basic human life situations and feelings that are present in every age, so I knew what they were going through.
Kristy
Ahhhh. Australia. I read The Thorn Birds in middle school and ever since, I have a special lace in my heart reserved for fiction set in Australia. This book has a little bit of romance, some historical fiction, and tons of mystery and adventure. Joanna is looking to solve the mystery of what happened to her grandparents and why her mother felt the family was cursed. It brings in a lot of Aboriginal folklore and I just couldn't put it down.
Astrid Falkenberg
The Dreaming was the first book I've read by Barbara Wood, and then I tracked down every one of her books. A woman's journey across the Australian outback and her encounters with the aborigines was amazing. She mostly centers her books around female "heroines" in different parts of the world and different eras, and has a definite spiritual spin on her stories, which speaks to me.
Vikki
I really, really enjoyed this story about pioneer Australians in the 1850's. A girl and her mother were planning a trip to Australia. They were going to find the origins of their family. The mother was bothered by things ( a lot of snakes and mad dogs) that are now bothering her daughter. Unfortunately the mother dies.
Elizabeth Barter
"The Dreaming"takes you through time and through the outback.She gives you a culture lesson about the aboriginies and the beautiful dreamwalk.the tapestry she weaves make you forget how dangerous living in an outback is.I love this book because I get to dream and travel without leaving my kitchen.
Jami
I enjoyed this book. I liked how happy it was- all the problems/people were resolved and even the characters you think you won't like end up being o.k. The characters were all a little stereotypical (pretty, perfect heroine, ruggedly handsome, honorable hero) but it was a fun read.
Paula Margulies
Loved this book -- great traditional historical about a woman who seeks to solve the mystery surrounding the death of her missionary parents in the Australian Outback in the 1800's. Couldn't put it down, and was sorry when it ended (I wanted more)!
Maile
I remember being totally enthralled with this book, I trust
the authenticity of the books by Barbara Wood and I look
forward to finding those I have not read.. She is perceptive
and accurate about the inner workings of Cultures.
Betty
I was a little disappointed as I thought I would learn more about the history of Australia.
Andrea
I *wanted* to like this novel: great setting, strong central character, etc. But it was just too mystical and "out there" for me. Plus, it seemed waaaaay too long--could have used some judicious editing.
This was the book that got me through February in Ohio. A big, epic read of life in another age and country, a warm, sunny, hot country. Good escape reading, and it served its purpose well.
Kristin Lee Williams
Better than I thought it would be. Ignore the cheesy romance novel cover, it's not a romance novel. I thought the end was pretty weak but, overall, it was an entertaining read.
Margarita
Great book, well written and researched, it gives a lot of information about native Australia and the hard life they had to endure at that time. Very interesting story too.
Kate
I enjoyed reading this very good story about Australia in the mid-to-late 1800's. Great story involving walkabouts, aboriginies and settlers. Nothing heavy but plain enjoyable
Priscilla
I couldn't put this book down. I love an epic novel set in foreign (to me) places. Thanks to Mariyln from the Little Brown Book Club for the recommendation!
Manuela
Un romanzo magico, che ti porta a sognare di vivere un'avventura straordinaria come quella di cui è protagonista Joanna, e che mi ha fatto innamorare dell'Australia.
Anne
Jul 30, 2010 Anne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Barbara Wood fans, but recently not having read her.
I truely love Barbara Wood, but I guess this is not her best - though it was a really good story, it was not as captivating as it's familiar to me.
Ann
An insightful historical novel. If you like this kind of book, you should enjoy it. It opens up the settling of Austrailia a bit.
Clare
Another wonderful tale by Barbara Wood. This one takes place in the forbidding landscape of the Australian outback.
  • Sins of the Mother
  • The Adventurers (The Australians, #5)
  • Companions of Paradise
  • Dreamcatcher
  • The Secret Mandarin
  • Outback
  • Burden of Desire
  • Once a Warrior (Warriors, #1)
  • The Hanged Man
  • Whispers of Heaven
  • Morgan's Run
  • Treasure of Stonewycke (The Stonewycke Legacy, #3)
  • Das Geheimnis der Hebamme (Hebammen Saga, #1)
  • The Great World
  • Die Kastellanin (Die Wanderhure, #2)
  • From Fields of Gold
  • The Secret Woman
  • The Goldsmith's Wife
Barbara Wood was born on 30 January 1947 in Warrington, Lancashire, England, UK. Together with her parents and older brother, she immigrated to the United States. She grew up in Southern California and attended Los Angeles Schools. After High School, Barbara attended the University of California at Santa Barbara but left to train as a surgical technician. During this time, Barbara held numerous jo ...more
More about Barbara Wood...
Virgins of Paradise The Blessing Stone Green City in the Sun The Prophetess Domina