Start by marking “Not Like Us: How Europeans Have Loved, Hated, and Transformed American Culture Since World War II” as Want to Read:

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  7 reviews
It is commonplace today to assume that American culture drives global culture, but what is not immediately clear, yet no less true, is that despite the Marshall Plan, Coca-Cola, McDonald's, EuroDisney and "Baywatch," Europe has been able to preserve its cultural distinctiveness and resist embracing the "American way of life." Richard Pells not only shows how the Europeans ...more
Published October 1st 1997 by Basic Books (AZ) (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Not Like Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Like Us

It's been hard to get through, but it's a college text for a Modern European History class, so I shouldn't be surprised. It is fascinating, especially since my knowledge of European history is not the greatest. It got a lot more interesting later on when it was in more modern times and dealing more with media and Hollywood. A lot of it was pretty fascinating and history I did not know. Having lived in Europe for awhile myself made it more interesting as well! I would recommend it to anyone who i ...more
Education at its finest.
Dec 09, 2011 Hubert rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: American studies enthusiasts.
Pells is a fairly engaging writer, if at time a bit categorical, and not such an adventurous writer. He very clearly states the relationships between American and European culture, with an eye towards the historical bases of these relationships. The text could use slightly more theoretical underpinnings.
this book had the unfortunate distinction of being our group selection AFTER Gravity's Rainbow. Largely anecdotal, this anticipate's T.R. Reid's United Stes of Europe and suffers from the same flaws. My friends and I muddled through such, though, to be fair, it isn't the book's fault.
It took some time, but was well worth it. For someone interested in American Studies it is a should read. I love all of the misconceptions we have about each other.
Matt Woodard
Easy read. Good history. Not too heavy on promoting the ideas of 'US dominance' in a post war world.
Sophie MH
About the ever lasting love/hate relationship between the Old and the New continents. Interesting.
Ahmad Shafeek
Ahmad Shafeek marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Evie marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Animelove24 Brown
Animelove24 Brown marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Emilie is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2015
Emily Maurek
Emily Maurek marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Tracie Cardone
Tracie Cardone marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect Page Count on ISBN 0465001645 2 155 Sep 29, 2013 08:51PM
Harvard Ph.D. Richard Pells is the author of five nonfiction books and is currently Professor Emeritus of History at The University of Texas at Austin. The Rockefeller Foundation Humanities Fellowship recipient taught at Harvard, and was Fulbright-Hays Senior Lecturer at the Universities of Amsterdam and Copenhagen.

Dr. Pells lives in Austin with his wife, Molly Dougherty.
More about Richard H. Pells...