Start by marking “The Awakening (Vampire Huntress Legend, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Awakening (Vampire Huntress Legend, #2)

The Awakening (Vampire Huntress Legend #2)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  2,799 ratings  ·  120 reviews
A battle is brewing in the underworld, and at the center of it all is Damali Richards, spoken word artist and vampire huntress. But she is not just any huntress; she is the millennium Neteru, a woman so powerful that the vampire world is about to start a war-one that threatens to spread onto her streets-in order to possess her...

Fallon Nuit, a rogue vampire who is one of t
Published December 28th 2004 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Awakening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Awakening

Jerrie
So, the saga continues. What left me hanging in the 1st book, turned out to make the 2nd book better than the 1st. Of course, you are still left hanging, because you know there is a 3rd book.
The Damali-Carlos union is definitley not over. Poor Carlos. You really do want this guy to be the good guy and maybe he will, master-vamp, or not.
But what about the detective? The epilogue sure makes you think he may be a vamp, too. Hmmmm.........
The book is good and I'll definitley move on to the next on
Holjo
This second book in the Vampire Huntress Legend Series starts moments after the first book, Minion, ended. I’m including a spoiler line below because if you haven’t yet read the first book in the series, my summary below will include many spoilers from that book for you.

*********Spoilers Below - Read book One in the series before continuing*********

The first book ended with Carlos’s transformation into a vampire. He learned from Nuit that the vampires had been supporting his illegal dealings for
Kenya Wright
I enjoyed this... I would say this gets more of a 3.7 stars.

Why not 5 stars:

--- The rap and spoken word irked me.... and I love rap and spoken word!! But just a little of it... not pages of it... a few significant lyrics is all I needed.

--- The long ass explanations! Wow! Some of the explanatory dialogue went on for pages and pages and pages... I started skipping.

Other than that this was an absolute improvement from the first book.
There was NO Excessive high-fiving or Dap
There was conflict and
Mzpastrychef
You have to give this series a chance..yes there is some hip hop language but this saga of books takes you on a journey. It brings in elements of good and evil, heaven and hell, God and the devil.. There are characters such as cain & abel, adam & eve and so on... Give this series a chance before you just say forget it...in the end it will be worth it..check out all 12 or 13 novels!!!!
Shavaugn
Please make this into a movie, right now. The plot is AMAZING and the characters jump off of the pages and into your mind. It took me two days to read this and I already picked up the third book in the series. Can't wait to get started!!
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I found this one a little darker and edgier, but still too much talking. I am just about ready to give up on this series, but recently someone talked me into giving the next books a try.
Monique
I was really hesitant to read the first book in the series ("Minion") and found it to be really slow and uninteresting in the beginning but it picked up in the end. This book did not have the same problem. I was hooked from the start. I like how Banks provided a little bit of a reminder of what happened in the first book (not that I needed it). But even that had me hooked.

In "The Awakening", Banks continues to build on the world that she has created, and it is very complex. Which is good and b
Deva
full review at
urbanparanormal.blogspot.com
This book turned me into a emotional wreck and I actually loved it.
Tiffiane
Looney
Brittany
I'm giving this a 3. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it.

The one thing that really threw me off was how they talked. I felt that it was forced sometimes and that with the whole "hip pop/ganster" kind of talk (or whatever you want to call it) just didn't do anything for me. It was annoying at times. It felt like Banks was trying too hard to make them sound like they were from the hood. Also the whole over 20 or so pages of them just sitting at the weapon room table talking was a bit boring. I
Jenny GB
I'm glad I tried the second book in the series after being disappointed by the first. It reminds me a bit of my experience with Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. I didn't enjoy the first, but by the second I was hooked. I'm not sure if this series will turn out to be as epic since The Dark Tower is one of my favorites, but I found The Awakening much more likeable than the first book of the series. The dialect speech is toned down in most cases and it didn't grate on my nerves like it did in ...more
Cherie
I found this, the second book of the Vampire Huntress series, slightly better than Minion , the first. However, some of the same things that bothered me about that book came to surface in this one too.

I'm glad I hung onto Minion because The Awakening picked up right where that left off, and I had to reread certain portions of that first book to reacquaint myself with some of the things that went down already. I don't think the author did a very good job of allowing this book to stand on it's ow
Stevie
I've decided, after reading Octavia Butler's "Fledgling", that I should definitely read more fantasy by POC writers. There's no use complaining about white writers and their version of fantasy if that's all I read, you know? So I remembered this series of books from a friend who has pretty much all of them and decided to try them out...well, to the people who took out the two copies of the first novel, let me just say I hate you for not getting them in on time. So I gave up my hopes and grabbed ...more
Linda Harris
Well it has been a hot minute since I've read a whole book in one day, but this one was so good I couldn't stop myself. Book 2 is a lot better than the first. Good writers seem to excel at doing that, making the next book in a series better than its predecessor. So, I've just purchased book three and I am ready to continue on my journey tomorrow after a tiny bit of sleep and work. I recommend you keep reading the series as well because things are heating up in the underworld!
Melyb
THE AWAKENING is a decent sequel to MINION however after reading it I thought that if the two books had been combined, it would have been one great book instead of a very good introduction and an "ok" sequel. This book picks right up where MINION left off and spends a lot of time on Carlos' journey and gives readers a small window into Marlene's journey to becoming a Guardian. I do still feel a bit of disconnect to the Damali character - I still feel like I should root for her because she is on ...more
Chibineko
I read this book directly after reading the previous book, Minion, as the last book left off halfway during the story & this book finishes the storyline.

The night of Damali's awakening is swiftly approaching, yet she's still relatively unaware of everything that's going on. Carlos has been making several deals in an attempt to not only save Damali's virtue, but also his own life (such as it is). Meanwhile, her team is still shaken by the idea of a new race of vamps unlike any they've ever m
Bethany C
I almost never stop reading a book before it's done, but I really couldn't keep on with this one- I finally put it down at page 145. I read the first book in the series over 2 years ago, and I guess I liked it enough to keep in mind to pick up the next one someday. Consequently, part of the reason I couldn't get into this is that I had almost no idea what was going on. I barely remembered just a couple of characters, even the main one, and I really didn't care about any of them. I gave this an e ...more
Lillian Cummings
Damali is a kick ass vampire huntress but she is very special and the vampire world wants her for themselves as she is powerful. A battle is coming and Damali will be in the middle of it but who can she trust? Can she trust Carlos or will it end badly again. A great action packed read
Theresa
This one describes the levels of hell that a person can be sent to. Carlos asks why he wasn’t told about all this before when he was alive. But he was, he just didn’t listen and believe. Same as most people don’t.

It reminds me of a vampire combination of ‘Dante’s Inferno’ and ‘Pilgrim’s Progress’ with some Lewis thrown in.

I don’t think I’m going to continue this series or even this book. Not that they aren’t good, but they’re very dark and too theologically deep for an entertainment story. I'
Tana Rose
This one was an amazing 3 day ride!! Damenali at times work my nerves because I liken myself to her seer mother. I need for the child to listen and learn rather than being so hasty. However, the love story between Damali and Carlos thickens and its good.
Jess
I don't know what to think of this series so far. I am not too fond of L.A. Banks' style of writing. I feel like she takes too long to describe things and it makes the story move slower. Also, she provides no background in her story, so at points I had to think back to the previous book and try to remember what was happening.

I find that I am not very interested in the characters on the sidelines. I only really care about Carlos and D, and their relationship. I think it is just the author's style
Patricia
Arwen Fowler-jonsson
Wow in the middle of a vampire/demon/vampire huntress book there was actually some really empowering passages for women. I was happily surprised that the writing was so good.
Mbickerton
Pg 1 - 300 The story continues and a battle commences with the master vampire Nuit,Carlos and "D"/ team. "D" performs at a concert where after it all kicks off. Carlos has to take "D" to Nuit to enable his plans to go ahead to take over the world with day walkers. They both kill Nuit and "D" escapes with her team and brothers but Carlos is left behind thought DEAD. However this story doesn't unfold on other areas covered in the Minion. (IE the vampire council and the priesthood offers). I guess ...more
Debbie Chittenden
The first was slow and left a major cliffhanger. Now that the second has played out. I couldn't have hoped for a better sequel.
Jaé Monét
This was much better than the first one. I'm extremely happy about that and I'm hoping that it just keeps getting better.
Miley the Book Junkie Reads . . .
Taking control of her destiny and the reality of life is what Damali Richards has to do to make a difference in the world that she finds herself having to do a serious battle to protect. Along the way she finds that love can be a battle all on its own. She has a lot on her young shoulders and will make the best of it. She has her family to help her along the way. Carlos makes difficult choices and must accept what is to what could be. I am very interested in reading the rest of the series.

Unfor
S.A. Parham
Damali is pushed to the background quite a bit in this novel, with most of the interesting scenes featuring Carlos' POV instead as he struggles to protect Damali from the various groups interested in her, as well as to save himself from the dark path he chose for his life. I found the Carlos struggles much more interesting than the Damali sequences, especially when it focused more on the Guardians doing big info dumps in slang speak about Damali's evolution as a vampire slayer. 4 stars for the C ...more
Mika
Loving the Damali and Carlos love story. I'm looking forward to continuing the series.
Damali's Book Club: MOVIE CAST FOR Vampire Huntress Series 4 22 Sep 16, 2012 05:52PM
  • Creepin'
  • The Burning Bush (Santeria Habitat, #2)
  • The Living Blood (African Immortals, #2)
  • Midnight Reign (Vampire Babylon, #2)
  • Urban Vampire The Turning
  • Armored (The Té-trad Tale, #1)
  • Possession (Blood Ties, #2)
  • Dark Genesis (The Darkling Trilogy, #1)
  • X-Rated Bloodsuckers (Felix Gomez, #2)
  • Dark Need (Darkyn, #3)
  • Be Mine Forever (Forever Vampires #3)
  • Dark Thirst
  • It Had to Be You
  • Beneath the Skin (Darkwing Chronicles, #3)
  • Shadow Blade (Shadowchasers, #1)
  • Dark Dreams: A Collection of Horror and Suspense by Black Writers
A pseudonym used by Leslie Esdaile Banks, she also wrote under the names:
Leslie E. Banks
Leslie Esdaile
Leslie Esdaile Banks
Leslie Banks
Alexis Grant

L.A. Banks, a native Philadelphian, was a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania Wharton undergraduate program. With many awards to her credit, Banks also held a masters of fine arts degree in film and media arts from Temple University. She lived in
More about L.A. Banks...

Vampire Huntress Legend (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Minion (Vampire Huntress Legend, #1)
  • The Hunted (Vampire Huntress Legend, #3)
  • The Bitten (Vampire Huntress Legend, #4)
  • The Forbidden (Vampire Huntress Legend, #5)
  • The Damned (Vampire Huntress Legend, #6)
  • The Forsaken (Vampire Huntress Legend, #7)
  • The Wicked (Vampire Huntress Legend, #8)
  • The Cursed (Vampire Huntress Legend, #9)
  • The Darkness (Vampire Huntress Legend, #10)
  • The Shadows (Vampire Huntress Legend, #11)
Minion (Vampire Huntress Legend, #1) The Hunted (Vampire Huntress Legend, #3) The Bitten (Vampire Huntress Legend, #4) Bad Blood (Crimson Moon, #1) The Forbidden (Vampire Huntress Legend, #5)