Mrs Kennedy

Mrs Kennedy

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  295 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Drawing from recently declassified top-secret material, as well as revelatory eyewitness accounts, Secret Service records, and Jacqueline Kennedy's personal letters, bestselling biographer Barbara Leaming answers the question: what was it like to be Mrs. John F. Kennedy during the dramatic thousand days of the Kennedy presidency? Brilliantly researched, Leaming's poignant...more
Published July 4th 2002 by Orion (first published January 1st 2001)

Catherine
I got this book to learn more about Jackie and her feelings about her husband cheating on her with numerous women. In the beginning, the book was depressing because I didn't know how bad the cheating really was. It made me think about my relationships in the past. Later in the book, the focus is no longer on Jackie but her husband.

There was much more on President Kennedy, his infidelities, and too much on the problems that arose during his presidency. This book is titled Mrs. Kennedy, but there...more
Katie Cain
Wow! Jackie Kennedy had an incredibly harrowing life as a first lady! This biography exposed details of the Kennedy marriage that I was definitely not aware existed. This gave me a whole new perspective on the pressures of being such a public figure in the midst of difficult personal situations. I think that in some ways this book was a longer and more sophisticated version of an E! news report on the Kennedy's relationship and in other ways is interesting to understanding the dynamics such an i...more
Julia
Not exactly groundbreaking stuff, but a biography thoroughly informed by very personal memories of Jackie from those who knew and loved her best. She was a physically and emotionally fragile woman who was very good at doing what the country needed her to do. She made the choices that seemed right at the time. The book's concise and unvarnished epilogue was something of a revelation to me, as was an assertion early in the book that explained the relationship between Jack and Jackie more than any...more
Jen Six
One of my first in a long line of biographies I've read on Jackie. This one was written in a way that I truly felt as if I were shadowing her through her life and saw what it must have been like to be her. I knew very little of Jackie before reading this book and afterwards was only more intrigued. I enjoyed learning that Jackie did seem to play a large part in her husband's ideals. To an extent, he learned a great deal from her and respected her, though he wasn't faithful. Go figure.
Either way,...more
Helen Longvall
Intriguing, for a historical novel, it made a great beach read. I enjoyed learning about the JFK years through Barbara Leaming's unique perspective of placing Jackie as the protagonist. It really did add some color to the image I had previously understood.
Suzanne
“To many Americans who had seen dozens of pictures of her during the campaign, a glimpse of the hair, sunglasses, gloves would have been enough to identify her as ‘Jackie.’ To people who knew little else abut her, that was who she was. In fact, like so much in her life, the aim of her signature style was concealment. A chemical straightener disguised the naturally kinky hair she hated. The teased bouffant masked a low hairline. Kid gloves covered large, strong, mannish hands that an early boyf...more
Elizabeth Olsen
After reading a Doris Kearns Goodwin Kennedy book, this one seemed like reading a gossip magazine. The author of this book jumps as conclusions and calls them facts, for example she said JFK chose Jackie because she reminded him of Kit, Katherine Kennedy, his sister who passed away. She attempted to prove this point through vague similiarities between the two women, when they weren't that similiar at all. That is one example of why Miss Leaming just wasn't a trustworthy storyteller. I did like i...more
chucklesthescot
This was a completely different book from the other factual books I've read about JFK. This one is written from the POV of Jackie's life in the White House and you can't help but be horrified by the dreadful way that her husband treated her. I knew he was unfaithful but this book was shocking in showing how many women he cheated on her with-prostitutes, friends, several long term affairs at the same time, almost every female staff member, campaign workers and of course the infamous fling with Ma...more
Katie Reynolds
Generally, I'm not a person who reads a lot of biographies or autobiographies but interested in Mrs. Kennedy's life after watching the HBO mini series The Kennedys I decided to pick up this book. I was not at all disappointed. This book reads like a novel! Lots of drama spelled out well without a lot of unnecessary details of events that did not hold much meaning. I was very impressed by this book.
Although, I was appalled and shocked at some of the major affairs, riskiness and unobliterated tru...more
Karalee
I have recommended this book to a number of people and they all have loved it as much as I did. It is a great blend of personal story and political history. Some of the details are almost unbelievable. If JFK had been president in current times, he would not have been able to get away with almost any of the behavior from his personal life -- both while on the campaign trail and especially while in office. Also, there is such a mystique about the Kennedys and the Kennedy presidency. If he had liv...more
Sue
The Kennedy family fascinates me, and I've read many books on various members, particularly JFK. First ladies fascinate me, and I've read even more books on their roles in history. That said, I always felt that Jackie Kennedy was overrated as celebrity, and she was a celebrity and favorite tabloid target in the 70s, when I was growing up. That's my disclaimer to my opinion on the book.

The author took an interesting tact to the book -- a biography that covers only Jackie's life as First Lady. I'm...more
Torine
Fascinating detail about Jackie Kennedy's life during the White House years. Overall, it's impressive how someone so famous managed to remain so private. And it's clear why she wanted it that way. Many aspects of her life are just so heartbreaking... even beyond the trauma of seeing her husband killed. I think a lot of this book shows just how hard she worked, and how smart she was, and how often she was taken for granted.
Gerry
A startling, intriguing account of the 1,000 day reign of John F Kennedy from Jacqueline's perspective. Wow, how did she manage with all that was going on behind her back? Despite all she remained loyal to her husband and supported him all along the way, even though there were times when she wondered why. A gripping account of the times and a heart rendering ending with the finale in Dallas.
Rachel
This book was the beginning of my obsession with Jackie. I loved watching her metamorphosis from shy and sometimes snobby accessory in the White House to becoming a pivotal influence on the nation. My favorite parts are the dinner parties where her beauty is matched by her intellect in brilliance.
Tara
I learned so many incredible things about what was going on in Camelot. Who knew that the Kennedy's lost a baby named Patrick towards the end of his presidency. She had to have her sunglasses custom made because her eyes were so far apart. Good Read.
Anna Pink
I loved it.
The bit where JFK
has to be summoned back by his father
to visit Jackie when their daughter was stillborn
made me cry.
Especially the bit when he fell to his knees in anguish.
Made me see him as a man,
and beyond the womaniser.
Sheri Saluto
This book was everything I imagined Jackie Kennedy to be and so very inspiring. Her private thoughts come to life in a way only a woman can understand. An amazing read, I couldn't put this down!
Erika
I love Jackie O, and this book was a really great look into her psyche, not just as Mrs. JFK, but also her personal struggles through life with and without him. Great books for history buffs.
Mandy Huot
This book was very long, but very informative. I learned alot about Jackie that I didn't know, and learned that the Kennedy marriage wasn't as perfect as some people may have assumed.
Kathy Baratta
Can not get enough of this period in time. Love this book. Love love love. Jackie O was an amazing woman dint know how she put up with what she did everyday.
Stacey
Interesting perspective, but nothing earth-shattering. Jackie was insecure. Jack cheated. Sadly, the ending was still the same.
Helensink
This reads like a scandalous magazine. Lots of details I never had heard about. Very interesting.
Meghan
I am a nut for anything Kennedy. I actually learned new things from this book, which is quite a feat.
Sarah Lamb
I love all things related to the Kennedy family and this is the book that got me started.
Ju Ribeiro
There most had been thousand of women that would like to be on her shoes. If they only knew.
Beth
Worth reading if only to see how much has changed in 50 years...and how much hasn't!
Lesley
Interesting look at the Kennedy marriage during the Presidency...
Ann Pellegrino
Enjoyed reading this book after visiting "The Sixth Floor Museum".
Beth
Well written history of Jacqueline Kennedy's life...historical novel.
  • America's Queen: The Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
  • Jackie, Ethel, Joan: Women of Camelot
  • The Kennedy Men: 1901-1963
  • Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis: A Life
  • All Too Human the Love Story of Jack and Jackie Kennedy
  • Grace and Power: The Private World of the Kennedy White House
  • A Woman Named Jackie: An Intimate Biography of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis
  • Nemesis: The True Story of Aristotle Onassis, Jackie O, and the Love Triangle That Brought Down the Kennedys
  • Jackie as Editor: The Literary Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
  • The Best Loved Poems of Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis
  • The Kennedys: An American Drama
  • President Kennedy: Profile of Power
  • Robert Kennedy: His Life
  • Jackie After O: One Remarkable Year When Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Defied Expectations and Rediscovered Her Dreams
Marilyn Monroe If This Was Happiness: A Biography of Rita Hayworth Katharine Hepburn Orson Welles: A Biography Bette Davis: A Biography