Start by marking “Jack Kennedy: The Education of a Statesman” as Want to Read:
Jack Kennedy: The Education of a Statesman

Jack Kennedy: The Education of a Statesman

The enthralling, previously untold story of the friendships and forces that shaped the Kennedy presidency.

In the summer of 1938 a tall, raw-boned Harvard student arrived in London, where his father was the American ambassador and his favorite sister, Kick, had gained entree to a closed group of young aristocrats. In the run-up to World War II, as Winston Churchill called
Published May 1st 2006 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Jack Kennedy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack Kennedy

Kirsten
I kind of separated this book out into two parts.
The first part is the historical aspects of the book as viewed through the lens of Kennedy's life. I thought that part was definitely a four or five star read. It was SUPER interesting to view WWII, the beginnings of the Cold War, and then the early 60s through Kennedy, his family, and friends. I learned a lot about that time period (mid 1930s to early 1960s) through this book and the people involved.
The part I found less interesting was the part
Katie Baud
Apr 19, 2013 Katie Baud rated it really liked it
Incredible storytelling! It felt more like an on the edge of your seat movie than a biography. I learned so many little details that I never knew before. I feel like I have so much more insight into the man who would become one of the most famous men in history. I'll definitely be reading more biographys from Barbara Leaming in the future.
Kris
Sep 11, 2007 Kris rated it liked it
Recommends it for: All
Shelves: biography
JFK's experience in England, as the son of the Ambassador to St. James Court, informs JFK's future thinking and influences him, as President, to think more as a statesman than a politician.
Luisa
Feb 23, 2014 Luisa rated it it was amazing
This is a great view of JFK's political development. I thoroughly enjoyed learning about his life in England and the friends and readings that helped shaped his thinking.
Don Heiman
May 08, 2013 Don Heiman rated it it was amazing
I now understand Kennedy in a new perspective. The authoress give a rich treatment of foreign affairs, but hardly mentions domestic matters.
Leoctso
Jun 24, 2014 Leoctso rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although little dry in a few chapters in between for my taste, overall an enthralling study of the president in a new perspective.
Diane Heath
May 09, 2016 Diane Heath rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography
Maybe a 2 1/2 but the subtitle Education of a Statesman should have been a hint. Remarkably boring considering the subject
Gregg Jamback
Dec 04, 2007 Gregg Jamback rated it it was amazing
I was in the second grade when Kennedy was murdered. This book gave me a wonderful insight to the man and the events of my childhood.
Shannon Wise
Shannon Wise rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2013
Dick
Dick rated it it was ok
Mar 27, 2009
Suraj
Suraj rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2013
Douglas
Douglas rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2012
David
David rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2009
Denise
Denise rated it it was ok
Feb 05, 2014
Ana Maria
Ana Maria rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2013
Ryan Collins
Ryan Collins rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2013
Rochelle
Rochelle rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2014
Kimberlygem
Kimberlygem rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2007
Brianna Allen
Brianna Allen rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Frank Wagner
Frank Wagner rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Christopher Todd
Christopher Todd rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2013
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
May 09, 2011
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2009
Rakim Jackson
Rakim Jackson rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Ryan Eagle
Ryan Eagle rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2008
Diane Dreher
Diane Dreher rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2013
Michael O'Sullivan
Michael O'Sullivan rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2015
Paula
Jun 19, 2009 Paula rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Camelot Kennedy was as rotten at the core as the original. A shocking book.
Jean Frank
Jean Frank rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2016
Barbara Leaming is the author of “Kick Kennedy: The Charmed Life and Tragic Death of the Favorite Kennedy Daughter” (Thomas Dunne Books, April 12, 2016). She has written three New York Times bestsellers, including her recent book “Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis”. Leaming’s book “Churchill Defiant” received The Emery Reves Award from the International Churchill Centre. Her groundbreaking ...more
More about Barbara Leaming...