Start by marking “Road Rage” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Road Rage

Ruth Rendell

Road Rage (Inspector Wexford #17)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  1,751 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Ruth Rendell can never be accused of writing cozy English mysteries. Even her more traditional detective novels starring Inspector Reginald Wexford are set in a gritty, contemporary Britain beset by unemployment, racial tension, and urban crime. In the absorbing and timely Road Rage, ecoterrorists protesting a new highway bypass take five hostages -- including Wexford's wi ...more
Published August 19th 1997 by Random House Value Publishing (first published December 12th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Road Rage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Road Rage

Rena Sherwood
This book was one of many being passed around the homeless community around Bath, England years ago when I was one of the community. It centers on motorway protests. I met many in the UK who participated in these protest (including a prim old lady sipping tea and smiling, talking about her arrest.) The book helped to distract me from being homeless.

That being said, this is typical Ruth Rendell in that it is a very grim, deeply detailed police procedural. This was the first Inspector Wexford book
Judith
Absorbing tale about the proposed construction of a bypass in a town and the range of types of persons opposed to it. Several different groups, ranging from law-abiding, peaceful citizens to radical tree-spikers descend on the town. Some of them have no regular jobs and make their homes in treetops.

Chief Inspector Wexford is on the side of the opponents but believes the bypass is inevitable. He doesn't plan to take any action, either personal or professional, about it. However, when his own wif
David Zerangue
Well, I must say that when I first started this book, I thought it was going to be one of the worst experiences I have encountered with Ruth Rendell. Thankfully, it was not.
The beginning of the novel did not really take off and it seemed to be plagued with some editing issues. Whatever it was, the flow was just not there. As the book began to unfold I ran into an issue with one of the characters: Inspector Wexford's wife, Dora. I simply did not like her. To me, she was portrayed as someone whose
Judy
This is a good mystery, not a great mystery. It seemed to drag in places, but Rendell's overall writing is of such notable quality that it can't be ignored.

The story begins with the discovery of a young woman's body hidden in the wood--a German girl who'd been traveling in southwestern England and then disappeared several months before. It then jumps to a band of eco-terrorists who call themselves Sacred Earth, who kidnap five people, one of them Inspector Wexford's wife Dora.

This certainly sh
Surreysmum
Sandra Jones
A by-pass is planed in Kingsmarkham - that will destroy its peace and the natural habitat forever. Dora AWexford joins the protest movement, but Wexford must be more circumspect. Trouble is expected.
Even before the protesters can make their presence felt, the badly decompsed body of a young woman is discovered. WHile Burden believes he knows the identity of the murderer, Wexford is not convinced.
Before this homicide enquiry can procedd much further a number of people disappear - including DOra W
Hal
This is a creatively written novel that is enriched by Ruth Rendell trademarked psychological insights and character development. It is significantly longer than it needs to be -- one senses that few publishing houses even employ serious editors anymore.

There is a larger than normal cast of characters here. What I find most impressive about this author after reading nine or ten of her books is that she comes up with such a wide variety of plots. She is one of the few authors that I would genuine
oOSarahOo
This was an okay read but I have been quite disappointed by Rendell lately. I hadn't read any of her books in a long time and although I still enjoy her writing style, her plots always take ages to develop. Road rage is very very slow paced. I almost gave up reading but kept on going as the action picked up about halfway through the book. Still, the plot wasn't very interesting and none of the characters proved quite likeable. A disappointing read.
Sandra
Ok, Ruth Rendell can write, but I'm just not a big fan of the Inspector Wexford series, and this confirms it. No way does this compare to Peter Robinson's police procedurals or Elizabeth George's. Among other annoying things: it's frequently difficult to tell who's speaking. Conversations are hard to follow. Better editing might help.
Erin
The dadburn gubment is building a bypass in the countryside....is that enough for murder?

Of course it is!

My first Inspector Wexford novel and I don't think I'll be rushing out for others. I love British crime, and this was fine, but there are still Simon Serrailler and Tom Thorne novels to be read.
Kay
As others noted, this is not up to the usual Rendell standard, which is very high indeed. I did, however, enjoy seeing Wexford's long-suffering wife Dora acquit herself so well as a hostage.
Other than that, I felt as if Rendell was just going through the motions.
One good quote:

"When Mrs. Peabody was young, you tidied up the bedroom and put the child into a clean nightdress before the doctor came. If anyone in authority was coming you cleaned up the whole house. Going shopping into town, you dres
Julie
Great story related to protests against a new road that will take over some lands that environmentalists want to save. 5 people are kidnapped by an extreme group including one close to Chief Wexford. As the clues unravel the answer surprises
Lester
Time well spent reading this book. Makes me regret that I gave away 6 other books by Ruth Rendell..at least I know where they are to borrow them back!
Joy
Great quote. Wexford says, "The trouble with psychology is that it doesn't take human nature into account."

A new bypass (freeway to Americans) is planned for Wexford's territory, and it will cut through the habitat of some endangered species. It will also ruin an unspoiled countryside. The protesters gather, and then the vigilantes. Even then, no one expects a hostage situation until too late. Now Wexford has to rescue the hostages before they are killed one by one, including his own wife. No ma
Nikki Mcgee
I only read this because I watched the first half on TV and wanted to know who did it.

I flitted between listening to an audio book and reading this , as I found a copy in Oxfam for 99p.

I do quite like murder mysteries but I won't be reading another Rendell. This was slow, too many characters and very dated. There was also something rather unpleasant about the way that Rendell describes characters, especially women , almost Daily Mail like .

Despite my boredom, the overly complex plot and prolifer
Phillip Tigerclaw
Kingsmarkham is about to get a new bypass and the protesters have moved in, when a body is found Inspector Burden believes he knows his man but Wexford isn't so sure. When people start disappearing - including Dora, Wexford finds he can't separate work from his personal life. At the end, one thing is for sure - life in Kingsmarkham will never be the same again.

This is the seventeenth in the series of Chef Inspector Wexford whodunits and in it Ruth Rendell shows she is still mistress of her craf
Jennie
Great story that keeps you guessing. Love the Wexford series.
Paul
A lot of Dora in this wonderful Wexford.
Ellen Bard
Yes, I did read two books today, but I was at home sick, ok?! Road rage is classic Rendall, with a very modern topic, environmentalism, whilst also examining the more classic topics of our relationship with the natural world and each other. Some showy touches, like putting Wexford's family in danger, but room enough for a tightly written detective novel.
Bea Alden
Another in Rendell's Inspector Wexford series of mystery novels. Although I did enjoy it somewhat, I missed Rendell's usual powerfully atmospheric portrayal of human behavior, both evil and good. Instead, this book offers a satirical view of the antics of extreme environmentalists. However, there is, as always with Rendell, a wonderfully crafted plot
Débora Afonso
A Ruth Rendell nunca falha. Todas as suas histórias são interessantes e completamente diferentes umas das outras, e todas têm como cenários "micro-universos" repletos de personagens estranhos e ambíguos. Este livro é um dos que têm como personagem principal o Inspector Wexford, que eu adoro (e me faz lembrar imenso o personagem dos Midsommer Murders.
Jayne Charles
When this was written, environmental protests on the scene of major roadbuilding schemes were headline news in the UK. Rendell has taken a topical theme and turned it into a good murder mystery (impressive twist - I didn't guess it) as well as indulging her penchant for outlandish character names. Very readable, and one of the best Wexfords IMO.
Liz Perryman
This was a really good book and although there seemed to be something missing in it I can't seem to pin point what the missing thing was. Although I thoroughly enjoyed it as I do all Ruth Rendells books, this is an excellent book if you are just starting to read Ruth Rendells work as it draws you into the story very gently.

Kathleen
Love a mystery and Rendell adds layers of description of the countryside, gardens and wildlife. Personalities galore and some with interesting character development. I had trouble seeing the mystery solution which underscores this story of many characters and twists and turns. Enjoyed it and read long one night to get to the end.
Cynthia
A little slow-moving but as always, a satisfying ending. I guessed the perpetrators as soon as they were introduced in the storyline. :-)
Atef Attia
Un roman policier à l'anglaise qui se laisse lire avec plaisir, sans plus. L'intrigue est bien ficelée de la part de la roublarde Ruth Rendell qui connait bien son métier, et qui remplit bien le cahier de charge du polar.
ça vous passera l'après midi, mais ça ne vous laissera pas pour autant un souvenir indélébile.
R.L.
In this novel the stakes raise because Inspector Wexford's wife is kidnapped, along with four other people, by a radical group bent on protecting the woods that a highway is slated to run through. Then the bodies begin to appear and Wexford become desperate to save his wife and to find the killer.
RJ
Things get personal when Inspector Wexford's wife Dora disappears mysteriously. A radical environmentalist group claims responsibility, while a group Wexford is sympathetic to is trying to stop a bypass from being built. Above average Rendell, also well dramatized in the TV production.
  • Gallowglass
  • On Beulah Height (Dalziel & Pascoe, #17)
  • All The Colours Of Darkness (Inspector Banks, #18)
  • Fox Evil
  • Death Is Now My Neighbor (Inspector Morse, #12)
A.K.A. Barbara Vine

Ruth Barbara Rendell, Baroness Rendell of Babergh, CBE, who also writes under the pseudonym Barbara Vine, is an acclaimed English crime writer, known for her many psychological thrillers and murder mysteries.
More about Ruth Rendell...

Inspector Wexford (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • From Doon With Death (Inspector Wexford, #1)
  • A New Lease of Death (Inspector Wexford, #2)
  • Wolf to the Slaughter (Inspector Wexford, #3)
  • The Best Man to Die (Inspector Wexford, #4)
  • A Guilty Thing Surprised (Inspector Wexford, #5)
  • No More Dying Then (Inspector Wexford, #6)
  • Murder Being Once Done (Inspector Wexford, #7)
  • Some Lie and Some Die (Inspector Wexford, #8)
  • Shake Hands Forever (Inspector Wexford, #9)
  • A Sleeping Life (Inspector Wexford, #10)
From Doon With Death (Inspector Wexford, #1) A Judgement in Stone The Babes in the Wood (Inspector Wexford, #19) A Sight for Sore Eyes Kissing the Gunner's Daughter (Inspector Wexford, #15)