Start by marking “Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years (Adrian Mole, #4)” as Want to Read:
Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years (Adrian Mole, #4)

Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years (Adrian Mole #4)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,146 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
Adrian Mole has at last reached physical maturity, but he can't help roaming the pages of his diary like an untamed adolescent. Finally given the heave-ho by Pandora, he seeks solace in the arms of Bianca, a qualified hydraulic engineer masquerading as a waitress. Between his dishwashing job and completing his epic novel, 'Lo! The Flat Hills of My Homeland', Adrian hopes t ...more
Published August 31st 1993 by Methuen Publishing Company (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Adrian Mole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adrian Mole

Lamb by Christopher MooreGood Omens by Terry PratchettThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsA Dirty Job by Christopher MooreA Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
The Funniest Books of all time
117th out of 132 books — 125 voters
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsThe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeBanker's Draft by Clive MullisWood, Talc and Mr. J by Chris   RoseCalico Jack in your Garden by Karl Wiggins
British Wit and Humour
240th out of 328 books — 225 voters

More lists with this book...

Yawar
Mar 21, 2009 Yawar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
People have said here that they were fascinated and repulsed by the character, and wanted to avoid being like him at all costs. Well guess what, there are people like Adrian Mole out there, and I'm one of them--so close in fact that this book stopped being funny when I realised as I read on that I am becoming exactly like him ... or he is becoming exactly like me. Well, at least until I got to the part where someone called the novel he is working on, Lo! The Flat Hills of My Homeland, a parody. ...more
Kimberly  O'Meara
I really read the book but this says audio. This is my favorite all time book. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Funny. A british nerds diary. what more can I say?
Jana
Nov 09, 2015 Jana rated it really liked it
The continued adventures of Adrian, who is now almost 24 years old. This time I found him on audible. But how will I underline all the funny bits to re-read and share with my fellow Adrian fans? (You know who you are!)

"I walked into her office with the self esteem of an anorexic aphid..."

Yes, the fun continues. But my vote is to read them, not listen to the audio version. What is next in the continuing adventures of the misfit, Adrian? More please!
Adara
Mar 12, 2016 Adara rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
I love these diaries. I think it's because I've met a few guys who could collectively become Adrian Mole if they merged their individual faults into one. The thought of actually meeting someone like him makes me shudder, but if you combine arrogance, overweening pride, snobbery, pretension, phoney intellectualism, wimpishness etc. you'll definitely get an Adrian Mole.

This diary is about Adrian's early 20s. He's moved away from Leicester and is now living and working in Oxford to be close to his
Sophie Elizabeth
Jun 15, 2010 Sophie Elizabeth rated it it was amazing

As I mentioned in my review of the first novel in this series, I love these books. I absolutely adore them.

That aside, I warn anybody who has read the first three and is about to delve into this one - aside from its humor, this is where the series gets more grown up and a little more realistic in Adrian's tragedies. On reading bits of it again this weekend I actually found it saddening more than funny - but that shouldn't put anybody off because I've read it several times and it's a funny, funny
Svetlana Jovanovic
Sep 16, 2014 Svetlana Jovanovic rated it really liked it
I reluctantly took this book to my Greek vacation this year. Reluctantly because in Greece, I just like to enjoy Greece with all my senses, at all times.

Suffice it to say I read almost a fifth of the book at the airport. Not being able to put down a book is a good sign for me. I laughed out loud in public several times reading it. Adrian is such a pretentious git. He is a pioneer hipster.

Unfortunately, I skipped several books between The Secret Diary... and this one, which was a gift. I plan t
Simon Taylor
Jun 01, 2014 Simon Taylor rated it really liked it
Adrian Mole is back to his brilliant best in The Wilderness Years. The return to the original daily diary format is a welcome decision after a very experimental third instalment.

Following Adrian’s life in 1991-1992, the latest edition sees many changes in the life of our hero, aged 23 to 25. Picking up where the True Confessions left off, he is still in now-married Pandora’s box room. His parents have split and Bert Baxter, 100, continues to make demands of his time.

The decision to introduce a n
Richard Barnes
May 21, 2014 Richard Barnes rated it it was amazing
Mole never fails to amuse, even when he is genuinely hitting the depths of depression. The Wilderness Years documents a transition in Mole's life.

He hits the rock bottom, homeless, jobless and loveless - his infatuation with Pandora is stamped out once and for all (by Pandora), his old nemesis Barry Kent has become everything that Mole dreams of and he finds himself sleeping on Bert the obnoxious OAP's couch.

Townsend brings us Mole's voice and inner anguish with her usual style and wit. Mole is
Dec 31, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read, 2013
It's been ages since I read the old Mole diaries but they still make me laugh out loud. Adrian is 23 and 3/4 , completely self absorbed, pretentious, annoying, and completely hysterical. Start with his first diary (13 and 3/4) and don't stop until you get to the prostrate years. Sue Townsend, where is our next installment??
Ria
Jun 03, 2015 Ria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At this point in the diaries Adrian is 24 and one day old. Pandora has finally tired of him so he fixates on her therapist friend Leonora Dewitt.
After Pandora throws him out and trying various means of avoiding it he ends up back at his parents for a while.
His parents have split up and his father is with the tyrannical Belinda Bellingham while his mother has taken up with one of her lodgers, Martin Muffett.
He eventually gives up lusting after Leonora and starts a relationship with Bianca who wor
Saqib Khan
Sep 11, 2014 Saqib Khan rated it really liked it
I came in contact with this character millions of years ago when I played the game Secret Diary of Adrian Mole on the ancient Commodore 64.

However, I never got to reading the book.

Over the years I've been hearing so much about this Mole guy which has spawned a complete series. I finally got hold of the fourth book in the series.

It is not humorous or hilarious in the same vein that I expected it to be. But it is one of those satirical pieces of literature that you just can't ignore.

You can't h
Ben Baker
Apr 15, 2014 Ben Baker rated it really liked it
By the time Adrian Mole reached his mid twenties, I had myself finally hit 13 and three quarters and whilst I can't admit to the same level of emotional drama, heartbreak and glue-related accidents of A.A.Mole, I did find myself rooting for him like never before. This fast became my favourite of the books and on this Sue Townsend-inspired return through the collection, I still think it holds up nicely, albeit with slightly more yelling at the hero for his cluelessness. The end felt satisfying an ...more
Juwi
May 10, 2015 Juwi rated it liked it
adrian mole seems to have delusions of grandeur but then he has seen a therapist and she says he's fine. hahaha.

so in this book he's 23-25 and he eats a lot of bananas and is so so so stupid i can't even. like bianca obv likes him but he's too dumb to see.

oh he's writing a novel and we get to read this masterpiece (hahahahahahahaha).

also his family is insane and there's so much drama.

he moves to london and is good at chopping vegetables!

he also grows a beard.

the ending is good though.

the
Anna Janelle
Jan 07, 2013 Anna Janelle rated it really liked it
[image error]

As always, I greatly enjoyed reading this installment of the Adrian Mole chronicles – maybe even more so than the previous books. Unfortunately, I seemed to have skipped the third in the series, Adrian Mole: Minor to Major, reading the piece of crap teaser/compilation of unreleased essays, The True Stories of Adrian Albert Mole, instead. The mistake was mine alone; however, because I already requested this novel through ILL, I decided to go ahead and work my way through the book tha
Graceann
Jan 31, 2012 Graceann rated it liked it
Adrian goes from ages 23 to 25 in this fourth entry in the series. From Leicester to Oxford to London to Greece, he's certainly taking some journeys.

There are times in the first two-thirds of the book that I find it hard to believe a person could be so obtuse. When I was that age, young men assumed that if you looked in their direction, you wanted nothing less than to have their babies; there's a girl here who does everything but jump him and he doesn't get it.

The last third of the story is re
Leore Joanne Green
Apr 19, 2007 Leore Joanne Green rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I don't really recommend it
In this book, I both identified wit the character, and loved to hate him. The book is written in first person, in the form of a diary and tells the story of Adrian Mole, a completely unsuccesful 24 year old, who is horribly analitic and thinks that he's awfully tallented while he is writing the worst novel in the world.
He is really scary and creepy, something about the way he views things and reacts to people is almost autistic and it crept me out. It gave the whole book a sort of macabric humou
Tilly
Feb 09, 2010 Tilly rated it it was amazing
Karo
Katy
Dec 14, 2015 Katy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this four stars because it did make me laugh out loud - however, I didn't actually find myself liking the character of Adrian Mole. In fact, I pitied him and found him slightly ridiculous - but perhaps this is the point of him? I haven't read the others in the series so I haven't followed his development. But I would recommend this for a fairly quick and easy read that will certainly bring a smile to your face
Michael Roy
Sep 20, 2009 Michael Roy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up on Saturday morning whilst 'er indoors was still in bed and didn't put it down until I had polished it off. Long time since I'd done that. Read the first two books YEARS ago and only realised I also had the third book after I had finished this.

Mole continues being utterly clueless with women, anal beyond belief, utterly pretentious, with an incredibly inflated sense of his own intellectualism.

The scary thing (for me, that is) is that I increasingly recognise myself in Townsend's
Beth Dale
Jan 09, 2015 Beth Dale rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I read it rather quickly and it was good if you wanted something short to read and not pay much attention to. Adrian rather got on my nerves rather quickly and I did find myself forcing myself to continue because I simply didn't care for the story nor the characters like I did with the books previously in the series.
Keruonedz
Apr 02, 2016 Keruonedz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No, no, no, no, no! It was torture to read - I kept at it cause I thought something better would have surely come out of it but NO (yes, again) - it did not. It kinda reminded me of Rowlings Silkworm and I never - ever - want to read about a bad author writting a truly horrid book or about a "loser on the loose". One star earned for some of the jokes. Otherwise it was hell :S ...more
Jake Collins
Oct 07, 2015 Jake Collins rated it really liked it
The best parts of this one are Adrian's attempts to come to terms with the many problems in his life by working them into his terrible semi-autobiographical novel "Lo, the Flat Hills of My Homeland", especially the grisly fates he imagines for family members and acquaintances who have recently annoyed him.
GONZA
Sep 20, 2014 GONZA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adrian Mole stavolta non delude e con un tuffo nel 1991 (quando Bush padre vomitò sull'ambasciatore giapponese) torna a farmi ridere come un tempo. Archiviato il terzo libro che è penoso, questa quarta parte (su 8) del diario di uno dei più illusi scrittori wannabe del panorama letterario è notevole, non tanto per la sua storia, ma per quanto questa entri a fare parte del suo romanzo, ogni volta che qualcuno gli mette i bastoni tra le ruote, Adrian lo fa uccidere virtualmente dal suo alter-ego l ...more
Marta
Jan 21, 2016 Marta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adrian Mole- need I say more? Always geeky, always blissfully unaware that he is really the village fool- the most deluded person in the world. Every Sue Townsend character is a laugh, but Moley will live forever!
Matti Karjalainen
Sue Townsendin kirjasarjan neljäs osa "Maailma murjoo, Hadrianus"(Otava, 1994) vie lukijansa 1990-luvun alkupuolelle, jolloin Adrian Mole on noin kahdenkymmenenviiden, ja joutuu jo kyseenalaistamaan voidaanko häntä enää "Ah! Kotiseutuni matalat vuoret!" -esikoisromaanin ilmestymisen jälkeen nimittää nuoreksi keskienglantilaiseksi kirjailijaksi. Mikäli teos nyt koskaan valmistuu.

Epäonnistuneet ihmissuhteet (mukaan luettuna nuoruudenrakkaus Pandora), surkea työpaikka ympäristöministeriön vesilisko
Lia
Apr 12, 2016 Lia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slightly funny but filled with a lot of cringe worthy moments. However, the end was nice. Perhaps the next will be less cringe more funny.
Paul
Feb 26, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A laugh-out-loud commentary of British politics from a young wannabe undergraduate point of view.
M
Nov 15, 2012 M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poor Adrian Mole... In his teenage years, he was amusing and endearing. In his twenties, he is pretentious, annoying, pedantic, and the kind of guy you'd probably end up punching if you knew him. I'm not sure if I'm going to get on with him as he ages... He annoyed me so much in this book that I started hoping he would get mugged by someone, just to give him something genuine to moan about (and also so at least someone would get to punch him). I will stick with him and read on, but sadly he seem ...more
Leah
Oct 08, 2012 Leah rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Meh. I read the first Mole book and really loved it. This one was annoying. Adrian is delusional about his looks, talent, and ability. His girlfriend takes off with his mom's boyfriend, then his grandma dies and we all feel even more sorry for him. Then he finds a new exotic girlfriend and goes off to Greece to try and be a writer, but we already know he sucks because of the boring book clips we've been forced to read.

At times, there was dry wit that made me smirk, the rest of the time, I just
  • Caderno de Agosto
  • The Meaning of Life (Rachel Riley, #3)
  • Hajduk u Beogradu
  • Maria, ihm schmeckt's nicht!
  • The Lamp at Noon and Other Stories
  • Uma Aventura nas Férias da Páscoa
  • The E. Before Christmas
  • Things My Mother Never Told Me. Blake Morrison
  • Per voce sola
  • Come to the Edge
  • Four Histories ("Richard II", "Henry IV Part One", "Henry IV Part Two", "Henry V")
  • Gridlock
  • I'm A Stranger Here Myself

Susan Lillian "Sue" Townsend is a British novelist, best known as the author of the Adrian Mole series of books. Her writing tends to combine comedy with social commentary, though she has written purely dramatic works as well. She suffered from diabetes for many years, as a
More about Sue Townsend...

Adrian Mole (8 books)
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4  (Adrian Mole, #1)
  • The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole (Adrian Mole #2)
  • True Confessions of Adrian Albert Mole (Adrian Mole, #3)
  • Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (Adrian Mole, #5)
  • Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction (Adrian Mole, #6)
  • The Lost Diaries of Adrian Mole, 1999-2001 (Adrian Mole, #7)
  • Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years (Adrian Mole, #8)