Start by marking “The Abolition Of Britain” as Want to Read:
The Abolition Of Britain

The Abolition Of Britain

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A surprise best seller in England, The Abolition of Britain is bitingly witty and fiercely argued, yet also filled with somber appreciation for what "the idea of England" has always meant to the West and to the world at large.

One English critic called The Abolition of Britain "an elegant jeremiad" in which Peter Hitchens identifies everything that has gone wrong with Brita
Published August 1st 1999 by Quartet Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Abolition Of Britain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Abolition Of Britain

Heartbreaking, but always truthful. It has even further cemented my belief that ten to one, the older way of doing things is the better way, especially the older way of thinking.

I would add as a word of caution, the author discusses some mature theme and incidents, and as such I wouldn't recommend the book to anyone under eighteen years of age. I believe that for the book to be accurate and truthful, these subjects had to be touched upon and discussed, and therefore I can understand why they we
This was a very informative piece of "Social Criticism." The book is well-written and an interesting, fast-paced read. Hitchens makes a thorough review of English history during the latter-half of the 20th century and examines changes along the way that he argues have turned England into another nation altogether.

As an American, I was most interested in his description of the England that WAS. The England of today, however, is compelling as well, being a likely portrait of the America of tomorr
Peter Hitchens, brother of the late Christopher Hitchens, wrote this work on what he saw as the decline of British culture. Hitchens considers the great issue of our times is not so much the political and economic changes as it is the loss of what it means to be "British." Hitchens attributes this decline to the usual suspects: decline of religion and morality, loss of British historical knowledge, mostly attributed to the banal education foisted upon the people by elites. Surprisingly for a con ...more
This is a totally mad book, but worth reading for all that. Hitchens has such a nostalgic view of the past that he thinks everything from sweets to the death penalty were better in the old days, which for him starts around 1965. Nonetheless, he does make you think. I still find that I disagree with him about the death penalty. He believes that jurors, judges and politicians are compelled to take things more seriously when they are faced with the life-or-death decision of the death penalty; but b ...more
Karen L.
Well, My husband was reading this and it looked so interesting that I read it. Towards the end I ended up skimming or speed reading it because of the pending due date and my growing library fines. I really liked it. I kept wanting to go pentecostal and shout ,"Amen," after much of it. I don't have the book on hand to quote Hitchens, which I would like to do. However I do remember what struck me.I was intrigued by his contrast of the somber funeral of Winston Churchill as opposed to the very emot ...more
Hitchens has the pulse on Modern Britain. From the change of England's governance to the adoption of Estuary English, from the sharp decline of education to the downfall of the Christian family and the demise of morality, Peter doesn't spare any arrows.
"Abolition" attacks the ruined nation Britain has become and pinpoints the reasons for its doom. Peter has an uncanny understanding of Historic Britain: the empire with a legendary Christian past. He educates and warns those who desire to understa
I'm about as far to the Left as one can get without being a hippie but I have to admit I enjoyed this book immensely and - shock, horror! - even found myself agreeing with some of Hitchens's points.

The major negative side to this book is that Hitchens allows the fist-shaking Grumpy Old Todger in him to come out far too often, with much of the book seeming to claim that things were better in the old days 'just because.' However, on the occasions when Hitchens's logic wins through, his argumentati
This is a book geared more toward Britons, but very relevant for the American reader. Hitchens is concerned with the cultural decay in Britain, and which is well underway in America, and its consequences on British sovereignty and the moral state of its people.

The book is full of wisdom and tradition though I'm inclined to think that Hitchens is too soft on Britain's role in WWI & WWII, which leads to several seemingly wrong conclusions. But otherwise an excellent book.
Chris Amies
Christopher Hitchens's right-wing brother does make some reasonable points about the loss of cultural identity and the soul-selling of New Labour in this book, but the whole of it is a rant against secularism, abortion, modern education and in favour of the death penalty and a return to a time when everyone knew their place.
Frank Roberts
An eulogy for the Britain that was, and a warning to America, which is suffering from the same ailments. Saddened me to read it, but also bracingly refreshing to hear plain truths.
Peter has an ability to stand back from the media hype and frenzy and observe the moral and behaoural decline of a once Great Britain. An interesting read.
Hubby/ Cullin
Apr 10, 2009 Hubby/ Cullin rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those concerned with the world
Hitchens has delightful insight into the sate of things in britain and a mournful loss of that heritage that people around the world connect with.
A very interesting perspective for anyone concerned about the demise of western civilization
Rudyard marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Andrew Domanski
Andrew Domanski marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Cole marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Rachael marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
LB marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Peter Wisener
Peter Wisener marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
CaldoHendo marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Josh marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Mark marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Megan Lynn
Megan Lynn marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
  • American Empire: The Realities and Consequences of U.S. Diplomacy
  • Leftism Revisited: from de Sade and Marx to Hitler and Pol Pot
  • The Feminization of American Culture
  • The Path To Power
  • The King and the Cowboy: Theodore Roosevelt and Edward the Seventh, Secret Partners
  • Raj: The Making and Unmaking of British India
  • Lights Out: Islam, Free Speech And The Twilight Of The West
Peter Jonathan Hitchens is a British journalist, author and broadcaster. He was educated at The Leys School Cambridge, Oxford College of Further Education and the University of York.
More about Peter Hitchens...