Start by marking “In the Presence of Mine Enemies: 1965-1973 - A Prisoner of War” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
In the Presence of Min...

Howard Rutledge

In the Presence of Mine Enemies: 1965-1973 - A Prisoner of War

Mass Market Paperback, 142 pages
Published May 1st 1975 by Pyramid Family Library (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about In the Presence of Mine Enemies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Presence of Mine Enemies

Tammy
Nov 21, 2012 Tammy rated it liked it
I am always inspired by stories of survival over great odds. I can't begin to imagine spending the majority of 7 years in solitary confinement.

There were a couple of statements in this story that stood out to me. There is real power in prayer and thanksgiving.

'In spite of my problems in prison, it became easier to thank God for His gifts. It almost seemed that the less possessions I had, the more significant His really worthwhile gifts became to me.'

'There was a time when I might have thought
Donna
Oct 15, 2016 Donna rated it really liked it
Shelves: prayer, biography, history
This is a book which describes seven years as a POW in VietNam.

It tells a remarkable story of determination and survival in conditions of filth, deprivation, starvation, illness, torture and solitary confinement as a POW in VietNam.

It tells of Howard's survival by realizing his need for the power of God and the comfort of the Bible and praise and prayer. It also tells a remarkable story of mental discipline overcoming the solitude, pain, hunger and depravity while organizing in every prison a cl
Deb Todd
Nov 17, 2016 Deb Todd rated it it was amazing
I read this book when it first came out back in the 70s. I enjoyed it then and decided it was worth a second read. Inspiring story.
Rodger Niemeier
Mar 05, 2016 Rodger Niemeier rated it it was amazing
I stumbled across this book and read it in the 70's, as a young Christian having recently "found Christ". I have kept coming back to this book at different times, for myself, but also as a powerful illustration of how much we need each other - which contradicts the individualistic thinking of our American culture. It's quite true: you don't know what you have until you no longer have it. We take community and the benefits of true community in loving relationships for granted, and often only ...more
Jason Ruggles
Apr 29, 2011 Jason Ruggles rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
The fact that someone can survive torture, solitary confinement (a kind of torture), and starvation for seven years while the world thinks you're dead just boggles my mind. I don't want to play down the authors experiences at all.

But the book was poorly written. Every sentence made reference to the bible, growing up a southern baptist or the evils of Communism... which in itself isn't bad. It just hard to get into a story if you feel you're being preached to... and you ARE being preached to with
Jody
Jun 24, 2013 Jody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, religious
I enjoy reading books like these. Short and to the point biographies. I don't know if some authors get paid by the word or not but it seems that some try to make biographies as boring as possible. This is not one of those books. This is straight to the point, we start out in chapter one with Howard Rutlege being shot down in Vietnam and it runs from there. It is very factual and pointed so there is not a lot of storyline here but you don't need it to enjoy the book. I was wanting to read a good ...more
Esther Filbrun
Aug 28, 2015 Esther Filbrun rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Although it does have some adult content, it was spiritually very encouraging and I loved the historical value of the book—as well as getting a glimpse into what the daily life of a POW is like. (Please note that this book includes some adult content, all in relation to the way the Vietnamese treated their prisoners. It is not a suitable read for children.)
Susie
Sep 09, 2013 Susie rated it really liked it
The only complaint I have is that it could have been longer. I felt like the story ended abruptly without much information as to how things went once he was reunited with his family. I haven't checked to see if there is another book so maybe the story I want to read is in another volume. I am thankful for him, his testimony, and his positive outlook. It was an encouraging read.
Amber
Jun 24, 2013 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author is clearly a solider and he write in a military way that doesn't make the book terribly engaging as he clocks off details methodically. However, the story is incredible and does give glory to God for his help while in POW camps in Vietnam and does give you a clear picture for what those camps looked like.
Mathias Seiwert
Aug 13, 2013 Mathias Seiwert rated it it was amazing
Another gripping account of a United States POW, this time in the Vietnam War. This man became of a follower of Jesus throughout his ordeal. The LORD truly allows deep and intense suffering in the lives of some people in order to bring them closer to Him. Wow…
Teresa
Nov 06, 2015 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story of the strength and grace of God that He gives to His people as they need it and the spirit of those who serve in the United States military to keep freedom alive.
Greg Cox
Greg Cox rated it really liked it
May 25, 2014
Gayla
Gayla rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2012
Jordan
Jordan rated it it was ok
Nov 25, 2012
Sean
Sean rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2011
James Sidwa
James Sidwa rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2014
Connie Snell
Connie Snell rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2008
Brianna Siegrist
Brianna Siegrist rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Neil Rempel
Neil Rempel rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2016
Mike Cocke
Mike Cocke rated it it was amazing
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Alton Vaden
Alton Vaden rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2015
Dave Nichols
Dave Nichols rated it really liked it
G Jones
G Jones rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2014
Karen L.
Mar 07, 2008 Karen L. rated it really liked it
A well written story of courage and faith amidst great suffering.
Shelby
Shelby rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Steve Jones
Steve Jones rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Cathi Hayes
Cathi Hayes rated it really liked it
Kat
Kat rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2007