Start by marking “The Enormous Egg” as Want to Read:
The Enormous Egg

The Enormous Egg

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,266 ratings  ·  162 reviews
Nate Twitchell finds a huge egg and hatches it to see what kind of animal comes out. To his surprise, it's a dinosaur! Now the U.S. Government thinks Nate's pet is a danger to the nation and wants it destroyed. How can Nate keep the creature hidden when it weighs over six tons?

Scholastic Book Club no. TX 306.
Published 1956 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about The Enormous Egg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Enormous Egg

Mary
Mar 22, 2008 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Koz
Jan 22, 2013 Koz rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dinosaur Lovers
I remember reading this book when I was younger and thinking, "Holy Crap! You mean this is all I have to do to get a pet dinosaur??!!" And then I learned the definition of "fiction." I hate books.

Update 1/2013: Re-read this last week, and it's still fun. Also surprised to see that the Dinosaurs-->Birds thing was around in the 1950s.
Kay
A piece on NPR on guilty reading pleasures led me to re-read The Enormous Egg. As with so many things aimed at children, much of Butterworth’s commentary is way over their little heads. On the surface, this is a simple, very funny story about a farm family in Freedom, New Hampshire. One of their hens lays an enormous, funny looking egg. Nate is determined to do whatever it takes to hatch the egg. Since it is too big for the bemused hen to turn, he goes out to the barn every three hours to turn t ...more
Mary
Greg Zink
Yes, I know, this is a kids book and I am an adult, but I picked it up the other night and couldn't stop until I finished it. The Enormous Egg was probably my favorite book when I was growing up, so I really enjoyed going back to it and finding I still loved it. The storyline is simple but beautiful, the writing is concise yet evocative, the illustrations are gorgeous and the emotion is vivid. And all that for a story about a boy and a dinosaur!

Like I said before, the storyline is really simple
Nevada Libert
i love this book! how they had to save the one and only living dinisor. great story about a boy with a prehistorical reptile and how he had to come up with ways to feed it and keep it warm, and to save it from the sentors who wanted to kill him and stuff he, and how the boy had to come up with his own speech to save his best friend the dinysor.
Kate
I picked up this book at a garage sale for a quarter. A children's book, written in 1956, it tells the tale of an egg laid by an ordinary hen, which turns out to be a dinosaur egg. The dinosaur, which I need not remind you, hasn't been seen in millions of years on earth, hatches and .. well, I don't want to spoil the story. The writing, for having been written in 1956, sometimes feels old-fashioned, but it kept my attention throughout. I was truly interested to realize the situations described - ...more
Kim
One School, One Book challenge. Cute read, originally published in 1956. My 1st grader liked it.
Anna
Read with the kids for PTA's One School One Book. I thought it was okay. Kids said they liked it. I don't know. Just seemed a little boring and dated to me. But it could also be that I'm cranky about everything right now. I love the One School One Book program, I just don't personally have the energy to devote to it this time of year. Especially for a book I couldn't get into. (I'm still trying to figure out why I was supposed to care about the rooster in the first few chapters.) Oh well. It was ...more
Sammy Holthaus
I some what loved it. The only part about it was probably the diologue in the book, it was hard to understand in some parts. But besides that it was a great book. It's always nice to read an older book again, just thinking that your grandma or grandpa could have read it is a cool feeling. This book was also a great size for me at this time in the trimester, it's only about 200 pages. The joy and happiness of this book also made me like it. So if you want to get off of reading these newer books, ...more
Matt Mccormick
Just finished reading this chapter book to my 6 yr old daughter. This is the first chapter book she has been enthusiastic about reading through to the end. Usually if it is not about animals and girls (Preferably fairies or princesses) and the color pink she gets bored pretty quick.
I read this in elementary school around the same time as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It was one of my favorites then and is still today after reading it again 35 plus years later. I was not sure how it would
gina
When I was a kid, The Enormous Egg was always lying around my house because it was my brother's favorite book. I never read it, but I did know that it was about a dinosaur. Fastforward a few decades, and I decided to pick up the book for my fourth grade class. What a fun read this was!

What I loved about this book:

1. It has a dinosaur--a real live triceratops!
2. Tension between country folk and city folk.
3. Stupid politicians who don't get the big picture.
4. Nerdy intellectual scientists who fig
Wayne S.
Twelve-year-old Nathan (Nate) Twitchell lives on a small farm near Freedom, NH, with his father Walter who runs the local newspaper, the Freedom Sentinel, mother, and ten-year-old sister Cynthia. In the middle of June, one of their hens starts looking pretty queer and gets so big that she could hardly waddle. Later she lays the biggest egg that Nate had ever seen. It has a leathery shell and is as big as a mushmelon, measuring fifteen inches around and weighing three pounds and a quarter. What d ...more
Esther May
Nate Twitchell and his family are rather surprised when their hen lays an enormous egg. The hen faithfully incubates the egg with some help from Nate on the turning of it and the egg hatches. The egg contains a dinosaur. The climax of the story happens when a Senator in Washington D.C. makes this speech:

"Do we want our children to grow up to be forward-looking citizens of our forward looking country? Then we must not let them dwell on the useless creatures of the past, the foolish mistakes of Na
Jesse Whitehead
This is a book that I gleaned much enjoyment from as a child. The thought of having a dinosaur hatch in my own backyard seemed to make perfect sense to me. The fact that it came from a chicken seemed perfectly reasonable. I don’t think anything else about the story mattered. Just that there was a dinosaur and I could spend hours imagining having my own dinosaur that I could ride around and talk to.

The story is somewhat weakened now by a number of factors. The most glaring of all is the fact that
Nancy
Dinosaur for a pet! This book has been a favorite since I was young. It pretty much had me from the word go. DINOSAUR! For a PET!

Re-reading it as an adult I was amazed at how much is packed into such a small book. The plot moves quickly from one hurdle to the next. The author doesn't invest much energy in explaining how a Triceratops hatched from a chicken egg, but he does tackle a lot of practical and realistic concerns, including the media descending upon the farm, and trying to keep up with
Jill
This book was very cute, and I actually liked it a lot!

My mom heard about this book on NPR. Somebody was talking about children's books that they really liked, and this was one of them. I put it on my list just to appease my mom, but I checked it out and was happily surprised. It was written in 1956, so it's a bit dates as far as vocabulary, but the story was fun and I think it would be a great read-aloud.

This was the story of a boy who has a dinosaur which hatches out of a massive chicken's egg
Megan D. Neal
Nate Twitchell is shocked to discover that his hen has laid a very un-hen-sized egg. It's so enormous, she can't sit on it. When it hatches, he and the whole town, indeed the whole country, get the surprise of a lifetime when out pops a triceratops. Find out what happens as this enormous baby starts eating and eating...
A fun story, set in the 1950's, that my little girls loved when I read it aloud to them a couple years ago.
Joyce
A layered story for grade schoolers. The message of perseverance, creativity, community, are beautiful. The story telling was remarkable: a lot of current authors who merely list actions of the main character.

However, I became disturbed by the singleminded white male vantage. The only action from others come from Nathan's mom (who makes breakfast) and his sister (who helps. And answers the phone.)

Ah, how we look fondly back on those simpler days.
Amy
B., age 9, rates it 3 stars. She liked it because it was talking about Washington DC (where we recently went) and because it was talking about dinosaurs. It might have been a little predictable but not too much. It was very cool.

I really enjoyed the feel/tone of this book. The voice of the main character, the boy, was so spot on for a rural boy in the 1950s (it seemed to me - not having lived rurally in the 50s.. but he sounded just like my uncles who did) and the other characters were similarly
Ravenpi
Back in third or fourth grade, our teacher read The Enormous Egg to our class, and we loved it... enough so that, as a thirty-something, I picked up a copy for my own enjoyment. And, indeed, enjoyed it all over again. Then, just tonight, I read it for my six-year-old, and she absolutely loved it. I'm pleased to say that, as a New Hampshire resident, I've been to Freedom (all the towns mentioned in the book exist) -- I guess I was kind of expecting a big triceratops statue or something, and, alas ...more
Roseanne Venables
This is the first novel that I read. As an 8 year old, I absolutely loved this book. It had an exciting, imaginative story-line. To me, Nate was the luckiest kid in the worId. I was a bit more enthusiastic about reading than most children my age, so I was allowed to borrow books from the "Older Student Library". I still have a copy. I think it is time to read it again.
Sara
I just finished reading this book to my second-graders. It's about a dinosaur thatat the Twitchell family farm and the ensuing chaos caused mainly by government bureaucracy. It was their favorite chapter book this year. They thought it was funny that it's even older than I am! I thought it was funny that not much has changed in politics since it was written in 1956!
Keith Bowden
This is one of my favorite books from childhood. I probably read it for the first time in 3rd grade. I've been looking forward to reading it to my nephew, Antonio.

Antonio is sleeping over tonight (11 October 2008) and as he wound down, watching my Discovery Channel Shark Week discs (which I got with him in mind), he asked me to read The Enormous Egg to him.

There are pictures, but not many as far as a 5-year old is concerned (he turns 5 on the 25th). I began reading Nate Twitchell's story to him
Marilyn
I thought that this book was very interesting all thought I think that in the entire beginning after the egg came out of hen (or chicken) it was talking about how the egg was taking so long to hatch out and that they should put it in a museum and blah blah and yata yata yata so it made it less intriguing.
Km
"The Enormous Egg", of course based on the cover you'll see a dinosaur is included. I rate it a 4 not only because of my love for dinosaurs, is also because of the way the author wrote the story makes me understand. I do not recommend this book to really good readers since it's simple and have pictures. I recommend this too people in the age of 11 to 13 years old.
Nerdigirl
This was my favorite book when I was little. I would get it out of the library every time we went. I've must of read it at least 50 times during 3rd grade. Nate and his baby triceratops will always have a special place in my heart.
Melanie
Nate Twitchell had no idea what to think when one of the family chickens appeared to lay an egg so large she could barely sit on it. She sat on it and sat on it, past the time that regular chicken eggs would have hatched, and still it didn't crack. Finally, one day, it began to crack. What came out was more amazing than Nate could have imagined: A baby Triceratops! Immediately this becomes big news in such a small town. Newspapers and tv reporters show up.

Meanwhile, the dinosaur grows and grows
Paul Brooks
First book i ever read. Soon after i wanted to become a paleontologist. I don't know where i heard that word, but apparently i informed my mother about the science of dinosaur study as she was unfamiliar.
Nancy
Read as a child, and again with my son at 7 yrs old. Old-fashioned, so I love it, of course. Like E.T., they try to keep their unusual friend/pet safe from Those Who Don't Understand. Love.
  • Martin's Mice
  • The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet (Mushroom Planet, #1)
  • Danny Dunn and the Anti-Gravity Paint (Danny Dunn, # 1)
  • Harry the Poisonous Centipede: A Story to Make You Squirm
  • Stuart's Cape
  • Otis Spofford (Ellen & Otis, #2)
  • Tornado
  • Dominic
  • The Wish Giver: Three Tales of Coven Tree
  • Henry Reed, Inc.
  • Being Teddy Roosevelt
  • Christopher Mouse: The Tale of a Small Traveler
  • Knights of the Kitchen Table (Time Warp Trio, #1)
  • Tumtum and Nutmeg: The First Adventure
  • My Teacher Glows in the Dark (My Teacher is an Alien, #3)
  • A Time for Angels
  • No Flying in the House
  • Paddington Helps Out (Paddington, #3)
Butterworth was born in Hartford, Connecticut and spent much of his life as a teacher, teaching at Kent School in Kent, Connecticut from 1937 to 1947 and Junior School in West Hartford, Connecticut from 1947 to 1949. Additionally, beginning in 1947, he taught English at Hartford College for Women in Hartford, Connecticut until the late 1980s.

Butterworth was an author of many children's books, most
More about Oliver Butterworth...
The Trouble With Jenny's Ear The Narrow Passage A Visit to the Big House Visitng the Big House

“A scientist doesn't know all the answers. Nobody does, not even teachers. But a scientist keeps on trying to find the answers.” 7 likes