Start by marking “Introducing Mathematics, New Edition (Introducing... S.)” as Want to Read:
Introducing Mathematics, New Edition (Introducing... S.)

Introducing Mathematics, New Edition (Introducing Series)

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  8 reviews

Introducing Mathematics traces the story of mathematics from the ancient world to modern times, describing the great discoveries and providing an accessible introduction to such topics as number-systems, geometry and algebra, calculus, the theory of the infinite, statistical reasoning and chaos theory.

Published September 5th 2001 by Totem Books (first published March 8th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Mathematics, New Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Mathematics, New Edition

Eu Garcia
This is more an index-like book focused on mentioning some of the main historical events in math's development. I liked the last ten pages as the authors relate to the current vision of mathematics and that the classic way they are seen (difficult classroom lessons that only smart kids, youngsters or specialized college students understand) must change
Mikael Lind
Just not good enough as an introduction. The visual part is nicely done, but doesn't add enough to the material of the book. The history of mathematics as presented in the book is interesting, but the mathematical examples are simply not fitting for an introduction to a topic. I got this book to refresh my diminishing knowledge of mathematics (I used to be good at it once, in primary school), but instead I got equations thrown at me without sufficient explanation. I tried a bit, managed to solve ...more
Minerva
I feel kind of gross about putting this in my books because it's so lacking in content, but I guess it is a book and I did read it. I'm also not sure whether to give it two or three stars, but I think on the balance I'll go with two. It barely taught me anything I didn't already know, and I found the illustrated format really off-putting and distracting.
Frightful_elk
This is a guide to maths as a subject, If maths ever seemed boring and pointless when you were at school this book will illuminate the subject and give you a glimpse of this fascinating and sadly out of vogue subject. Sadly although it will get you interested, unless you have already covered the maths, it is likely to remain obscure.
Paul
Running the full gamut of the history of math, "Intro" takes you on an exciting, illustrated, and often humorous voyage through just about every sort of number crunching aneurysm inducing math conundrum that has presented itself before humanity in the past three thousand years or so.

Public_enemy
Mathematics as a subject is complicated and the same case is with every attempts of its simplified presentations... Half of the book content is anti-western multicultural bullshit and it is not hard for me to rate this with the lowest grade.
Michelle Lynne
Coming from a person who has always been mathematically challenged, this book made basic mathematics concepts ridiculously easy to understand. Knowledge and entertainment at the same time? Yes please!
Eric
Ah. Comic Books.
Hessa Almutairi
Hessa Almutairi marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
 SaЯRah Muhammad
SaЯRah Muhammad marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Sara Alawneh
Sara Alawneh marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Sidney Gaskell
Sidney Gaskell marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Emily Rose
Emily Rose is currently reading it
Apr 09, 2015
Mounir
Mounir marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
James Quay
James Quay marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Golden Flower
Golden Flower marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
MeNna Salah
MeNna Salah marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Emma Stocker
Emma Stocker marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
sara sabry
sara sabry marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Omnya
Omnya marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Aya Hatem
Aya Hatem marked it as to-read
Asma
Asma marked it as to-read
بندر
بندر marked it as to-read
Basim Mahmoud
Basim Mahmoud marked it as to-read
Taoufiq Hebboul
Taoufiq Hebboul marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Ziauddin Sardar has written or edited 45 books over a period of 30 years, many with his long-time co-author Merryl Wyn Davies. Recent titles include Balti Britain: a Journey Through the British Asian Experience (Granta, 2008); and How Do You Know: Reading Ziauddin Sardar on Islam, Science and Cultural Relations (Pluto, 2006). The first volume of his memoirs is Desperately Seeking Paradise: Journey ...more
More about Ziauddin Sardar...

Introducing Series (1 - 10 of 121 books)
  • Introducing Aesthetics
  • Introducing Anthropology (Introducing)
  • Introducing Aristotle
  • Introducing Barthes: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Baudrillard (Introducing)
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Introducing Capitalism: A Graphic Guide
  • Chaos for Beginners
  • Introducing Consciousness (Introducing... S.)
  • Introducing Critical Theory
Desperately Seeking Paradise: Journeys of a Sceptical Muslim Why Do People Hate America? Introducing Cultural Studies Chaos for Beginners Introducing Islam