Start by marking “Introducing Mathematics, New Edition (Introducing... S.)” as Want to Read:
Introducing Mathematics, New Edition (Introducing... S.)

Introducing Mathematics, New Edition (Introducing... S.)

3.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  80 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews

Introducing Mathematics traces the story of mathematics from the ancient world to modern times, describing the great discoveries and providing an accessible introduction to such topics as number-systems, geometry and algebra, calculus, the theory of the infinite, statistical reasoning and chaos theory.

Published September 5th 2001 by Totem Books (first published March 8th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Mathematics, New Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Mathematics, New Edition

Josh
Feb 15, 2016 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I agree with a review I now struggle to locate. I thought it was a testimonial from illustrator Van Loon's page on the book. The gist: This book teaches the development and historical places of mathematics that is never taught at college. (Disclaimer: I never took a philosophy of math course; it may appear there but would have been more useful than stereotypical calculus and algebra course content.)

(likely via either Unshelved, or an off-topic comment string at Reddit)
Eu Garcia
Dec 08, 2014 Eu Garcia rated it liked it
This is more an index-like book focused on mentioning some of the main historical events in math's development. I liked the last ten pages as the authors relate to the current vision of mathematics and that the classic way they are seen (difficult classroom lessons that only smart kids, youngsters or specialized college students understand) must change
Mikael Lind
Just not good enough as an introduction. The visual part is nicely done, but doesn't add enough to the material of the book. The history of mathematics as presented in the book is interesting, but the mathematical examples are simply not fitting for an introduction to a topic. I got this book to refresh my diminishing knowledge of mathematics (I used to be good at it once, in primary school), but instead I got equations thrown at me without sufficient explanation. I tried a bit, managed to solve ...more
Minerva
Jul 01, 2012 Minerva rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-own, graphic, sci, nonfiction
I feel kind of gross about putting this in my books because it's so lacking in content, but I guess it is a book and I did read it. I'm also not sure whether to give it two or three stars, but I think on the balance I'll go with two. It barely taught me anything I didn't already know, and I found the illustrated format really off-putting and distracting.
Frightful_elk
Sep 05, 2008 Frightful_elk rated it liked it
This is a guide to maths as a subject, If maths ever seemed boring and pointless when you were at school this book will illuminate the subject and give you a glimpse of this fascinating and sadly out of vogue subject. Sadly although it will get you interested, unless you have already covered the maths, it is likely to remain obscure.
Paul
Dec 27, 2010 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Running the full gamut of the history of math, "Intro" takes you on an exciting, illustrated, and often humorous voyage through just about every sort of number crunching aneurysm inducing math conundrum that has presented itself before humanity in the past three thousand years or so.

Public_enemy
Nov 11, 2012 Public_enemy rated it did not like it
Shelves: mathematics
Mathematics as a subject is complicated and the same case is with every attempts of its simplified presentations... Half of the book content is anti-western multicultural bullshit and it is not hard for me to rate this with the lowest grade.
Michelle Lynne
Jul 26, 2013 Michelle Lynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math-and-science
Coming from a person who has always been mathematically challenged, this book made basic mathematics concepts ridiculously easy to understand. Knowledge and entertainment at the same time? Yes please!
Eric
Jan 28, 2010 Eric rated it liked it
Ah. Comic Books.
Michael Ellis
Michael Ellis rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
MAURICE BUTLER
MAURICE BUTLER rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
D
D marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
وقت القراءة
وقت القراءة marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
aia ali
aia ali marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Ramy
Ramy marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
بيان كايد
بيان كايد marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
أحمد
أحمد is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2016
Mohamed Lotfy
Mohamed Lotfy rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Mahvi
Mahvi added it
Feb 05, 2016
Denny
Denny marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Birkir
Birkir rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Roger
Roger marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
David Maayan
David Maayan rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Sherri Dishon
Sherri Dishon marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
ابو الفوارس
ابو الفوارس marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Ian
Ian rated it it was ok
Jan 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Introducing Genetics, New Edition (Introducing (Icon))
  • Introducing Time (Introducing (Icon))
  • Introducing Evolutionary Psychology
  • Introducing Quantum Theory
  • Introducing Logic
  • Introducing Marquis De Sade
  • Introducing Consciousness (Introducing... S.)
  • Introducing Jung
  • Introducing Mind & Brain
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Introducing Semiotics
  • Introducing Linguistics
  • Introducing Barthes: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Machiavelli (Introducing...(Totem))
  • Introducing Nietzsche (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Camus
  • Introducing Chomsky
  • Introducing Hegel (Introducing)
Ziauddin Sardar has written or edited 45 books over a period of 30 years, many with his long-time co-author Merryl Wyn Davies. Recent titles include Balti Britain: a Journey Through the British Asian Experience (Granta, 2008); and How Do You Know: Reading Ziauddin Sardar on Islam, Science and Cultural Relations (Pluto, 2006). The first volume of his memoirs is Desperately Seeking Paradise: Journey ...more
More about Ziauddin Sardar...