Start by marking “Babymouse: The Musical (Babymouse, #10)” as Want to Read:
Babymouse: The Musical (Babymouse, #10)

Babymouse: The Musical (Babymouse #10)

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  1,712 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
Dust off your dancing shoes. Babymouse and the gang are taking center stage in the feel-good book of the season! Will Babymouse get the lead in the school musical or will Felicia Furrypaws steal the show? Find out in Babymouse: The Musical ! Filled with highsteps and high jinks and starring the critically acclaimed, award-winning Babymouse as herself, this showstopper will ...more
Published January 13th 2009 by Random House Books for Young Readers

Smile by Raina TelgemeierThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian SelznickThe Stonekeeper by Kazu KibuishiBone, Vol. 1 by Jeff SmithDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
Best Graphic Novels for Children
129th out of 804 books — 1,076 voters
Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer L. HolmThe Fourteenth Goldfish by Jennifer L. HolmQueen of the World! by Jennifer L. HolmPenny from Heaven by Jennifer L. HolmOur Only May Amelia by Jennifer L. Holm
Best of Jennifer L. Holm
18th out of 59 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

NebraskaIcebergs
May 16, 2012 NebraskaIcebergs rated it it was ok
Being a graphical novel of a mere ninety pages, The Musical took less time for me to read than it took for me to eat my lunch. The so-so good news (for you) is that Baby Mouse and her woes are somewhat humorous. In a cute, clichéd way that is. The bad news (for me) is that reviewing The Musical The Musical was a challenge. In a new-to-me genre way, that is.

Art-heavy books call for the skills of a different type of critic. Yet with the increasing popularity of graphic novels, it seems time to mov
Brandy
Feb 03, 2009 Brandy rated it really liked it
I know I said the novelty is wearing off this series, but this volume won me back. Babymouse dreams of being in the spotlight--this time as the star of the school musical--but the spotlight goes instead to familiar rival Felicia Furrypaws. Babymouse isn't completely out, though: she's cast as the understudy, so we can only hope that Felicia gets sick at the last minute. Will it happen, and will Babymouse be able to handle the role?

10 volumes in and Babymouse hasn't changed much--either as a char
Nicola Mansfield
Nov 06, 2009 Nicola Mansfield rated it it was amazing
This is a Cybils nominee and, dare I say it, my first Babymouse book. Sure I've seen them lined up at the library, even peeked inside them, but I don't have any daughters and my son freaks if the colour pink gets too close to him so I haven't had an excuse. Now, finally I have a real reason to read Babymouse! This was absolutely wonderful! Babymouse (as I'm sure almost everyone already knows) is an adorable character; she's a bit of a klutz and rather a goof at times but she's got lots of ...more
Jamie
Dec 28, 2010 Jamie rated it really liked it
Babymouse is a talking mouse who has lots of problems that kids can relate to. In this installment of the Babymouse series, the school puts on a musical. Babymouse auditions, and gets the role of an understudy, and messes everything up.
This book alludes to many different musicals. There are references to Grease, My Fair Lady, Annie and many more. The author cleverly altered the lyrics of well known songs from musicals to fit into the fantastical world of Babymouse. The illustrations add lots o
Abby Johnson
Feb 13, 2009 Abby Johnson rated it it was amazing
Y'all know I love my Babymouse and this might be my favorite in the series so far. The school's putting on a musical and when dreamy British newcomer Henry encourages Babymouse to try out she can't help but show up at auditions. When she's given the part of Felicia's understudy, Babymouse is sure she'll never get on stage. With tons of musical references (from Phantom to West Side Story to Evita to Fiddler and more!), this is a surefire hit with any fan of musicals. But will kids get all the ref ...more
Laura5
Aug 18, 2011 Laura5 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphicnovels, 2011
I think this is my favorite of all the babymouse books.

Laughed the hardest at "I am the very model of a graphic novel narrator."
Lady Knight
Aug 07, 2011 Lady Knight rated it really liked it
I really loved this one! I loved all of the references to famous musicals! So why not give it five stars? A couple of reasons:

1) Babymouse doesn't really learn anything this time around. Now normally this kind of thing doesn't bug me, but this is a children's graphic novel... and this series usually does put out a message about perseverance pays off, friendship means a lot, have self-confidence, etc. ... even if does do it with a sarcastic narrator. The closest thing to a lesson we see here is (
Lynn Plourde
Feb 17, 2013 Lynn Plourde rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
Wanting to expand my graphic novel reading, I read my first BABYMOUSE book knowing they are a popular choice with grade 3-4 girls. Sorry, but I don't get the appeal (but I'm open to reading more Babymouse to see if only this title was a miss for me). Babymouse is a cute character. I liked the back-and-forth between Babymouse and the book's narrator. But the story was so-so at best. Babymouse tries out for the school musical and ends up being the leading lady's understudy. The book takes many ...more
Conan Tigard
Nov 16, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it
Babymouse: The Musical is another fun-packed episode in Babymouse's life. Babymouse is a fan of the musical and sings her way through many of the famous musicals that she has watched on television, at least in her daydreams. Babymouse sings songs from Phantom of the Opera, The Lion King, My Fair Lady, Grease, and Annie. She even has a moment when she thinks that she is on American Idol.

Henry Higgins is a nice addition to the Babymouse family of characters. I loved that he was down to earth and
Courtney Dyer
Brother and sister team, Matthew and Jennifer Holm, bring us another sassy adventure starring Babymouse in their 10th graphic novel of the series.

In this adventure, the very klutzy Babymouse is encouraged by Henry, the new transfer kid in school, to try-out for the school musical. While she hopes for the lead role, she ends up making understudy to her arch nemesis Felicia Furrypaws. Will Babymouse get any stage time? Or will Felica Furrypaws steal the show?

The illustrations follow the Holms’ ty
Amy Keltner
1. Graphic Novel
2. Babymouse wants to be in the new musical at school. However, her clumsiness that surrounds her. Meeting Henry Higgins she gains confidence she needs to try out for the musical.
3. a: One of the best parts of the book is the references to musicals that have happened before. Making it for an adult to understand and enjoy the reading. Even though the adults can understand the books, the references to newer musicals so the students are able to understand.
b: Babymouse is in middl
Sarah Sammis
Babymouse: The Musical by Jennifer L. Holm was nominated last year for Cybils. This year there are two other Babymouse books on the first panel list. I actually first read Babymouse: The Musical last December and I reread before reading the latest two nominations.

So Babymouse is a white mouse living in an excessively pink world. She goes to school and has adventures, mostly fueled by her over-active imagination. She's basically the American rodent equivalent of Hello Kitty.

In this book the schoo
Carly
Mar 10, 2013 Carly rated it really liked it
This comic follows Babymouse on another exciting story as she auditions for a musical to impress a new student from England. This was my favorite of the three stories I read as I thought it was the most comical and one I related the most to. The book had outstanding illustrations that brought the reader into the story. By the end of the story, Babymouse learns an important lesson when it comes to show business and trying to impress a person. In the classroom, a teacher could use the story to ...more
Dolly
Jul 01, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children starting to read graphic novels
This is the tenth book in the Babymouse series by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm. The plot centers on Babymouse's experiences with the school play. As usual, things don't work out very smoothly for Babymouse, but nonetheless, it's an entertaining story. I loved all the references to popular musicals, although I'm sure our youngest didn't get most of them. (Bad mom! I suppose I should see if we can Netflix a few?)

Our youngest really likes these books. They are quick reads and she read two of t
Morgan Elliott
Sep 25, 2012 Morgan Elliott rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
The first think I thought when I read this story was how much children would enjoy it. The comedy is just appropriate for grades 4th and 5th. I normally enjoy books with a wider variety of colors. Babymouse only used black and white tones, and pink. I think it was a perfect representation for this novel though. It allowed the pages to not be extremely busy and allows the students to focus on the reading material. Throughout the book most of the pages were filled with onomatopoeias. The large ...more
Lucy
Nov 07, 2011 Lucy rated it really liked it
The musical is coming up for Babymouse. And she decides to sign up, she tried out for the audition and she's the understudy for the lead role in the play!! She practices with everyone in the musical. and when it's time to perform, Felicia - the lead actress - gets a fur ball stick in her throat!! So now Babymouse has to step in. Will it be a success or will Babymouse ruin the musical?
I picked this book up because I love Babymouse. She's funny and nothing turns out right for her but she still tri
Dani
Jun 26, 2009 Dani rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 12 year olds, especially girls.
In this particular book, Babymouse tries out for the musical that her elementary school is staging. She is competing with her long-time nemesis Felicia Furrypaws for the lead role. Will she get it?

You can tell that the author is familiar with musicals. I caught references to at least 10 musicals including "Grease" and "Phantom of the Opera". My kids didn't catch that many, but they laughed out loud at the ones they did understand.

The Babymouse series of graphic novels is a favorite in my house.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
A good graphic novel for younger readers, Babymouse may only appeal to girls with its black, white, and pink scheme despite focusing on more gender neutral humour, especially physical comedy. I think that this was probably a poor pick on my part, but I doubt that kids would get all the refernces to famous musicals, no matter how much the author and artist must have enjoyed them. I found the amount of lines on the page overwhelming between the text and illustrations which made it a little hard to ...more
Becky B
Babymouse’s school is putting on a musical and new kid Henry Higgins encourages her to try out. Babymouse ends up being Felicia’s understudy and she’s tempted to quit, but the show must go on!

Oh man, this was by far my favorite Babymouse yet for all the musical references. It was cleverly and hilariously done. And the narrator has more fun in this one than in any other so far. I have no idea how many (if any) of the references kids will get except for Annie, but they should still enjoy the book.
Nallely Ibarra
Nov 21, 2011 Nallely Ibarra rated it really liked it
This book was really fun to read! It's not in the typical format of a picture book, it's like a comical book set up (illustrations make it seem like you're reading a comical book. I think students from 4th grade to 8th or 9th grade would actually enjoy reading these babymouse books. They all have a different story, or imagination of babymouse, so there's no real order in which to read them. This book would not be assigned, it would just be a book that students can read for pleasure. I'm sure I ...more
Laura Gardner
Jan 27, 2009 Laura Gardner rated it really liked it
Shelves: juv, graphic, funny
Calling all Babymouse fans! Babymouse book #10, Babymouse: The Musical by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm, is on the shelves. The newest installment of the graphic novel series finds Babymouse trying out for the school musical at the urging of new boy, Henry Higgins. As usual, Babymouse has wild daydreams about her own fame. These daydreams pay homage to The Lion King, Phantom of the Opera and even High School Musical. Babymouse doesn’t disappoint and will have you giggling and cheering ...more
Carrie
Jan 06, 2009 Carrie rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, kids
Cute & clever, but I'm curious to see the reactions of kids who aren't familiar with the referenced musicals (old-school and new-school, from Phantom of the Opera to High School Musical). I'm testing it on my son, who I was surprised to find was already familiar with Babymouse and delighted that I brought home a copy. (I would have thought the pink cover with silver foil too girly for him, but I guess the comic format won him over.)

UPDATE: Oscar says this book is funny and he'd give this 4 o
Allison
Mar 04, 2009 Allison rated it it was amazing
Holm, Jennifer L. & Matthew Holm Baby Mouse the Musical pgs. 320 Random House Books for Young Readers Language~G, Sexual Content~G; Violence~G

Hooray for Baby Mouse the Musical! Fans of Broadway . . .meet Broadway Baby Mouse style! You will sing . . .you will giggle . . .you will cheer! Once again the brilliant sibling duo of Jennifer & Matthew Holm have captivated readers young and old alike. If you can order Baby Mouse!

ELMMS/HS –ESSENTIAL. Allison Madsen~Teen Librarian-SJO Public Librar
Charlotte
Oct 07, 2013 Charlotte rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
My kid enjoys this series which is fine. I've read it and don't see a lot of value other than she's reading something. This one in particular seemed somewhat lost on her. It references several musicals that she has not been exposed to. I doubt many kids her age have. There were a few that she "got" but most would take a lot of explaining to a young person. I guess I'm just unclear on the intended audience. Older readers are not going to be drawn to this simple style. Younger ones are left out of ...more
CH_Kathleen
Feb 17, 2010 CH_Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
I love this graphic novel series! Babymouse, a little mouse girl, is convinced by Henry the Hedgehog to try out for the school musical. Of course, Felicia Furrypaws, the coolest cat in school, gets the lead leaving Babymouse with the understudy part. The story is told through spoofs of popular musicals such as Grease, Westside Story and there is even a Phantom of the Locker. This is a great series that I think would get even your non-readers to read. This particular Babymouse book refers to many ...more
Allison Loncar
Dec 15, 2013 Allison Loncar added it
Shelves: 544
Genre: Graphic Novels Copyright: 2009
These are great books! They are hilarious and easy to read. I think children of all ages can enjoy these books. The text is well written between the characters and the reader gets to know babymouse. The illustrations are simplistic with only black, white, and pink. It offers a great pairing with the text. These books are great for girls. Babymouse offers a book character than girls can look up to. She has a big imagination which girls need as a role model.
Beth
Mar 01, 2013 Beth rated it it was amazing
By far my favorite Babymouse so far. I laughed throughout the whole thing. The musical theater references were absolutely brilliant, and while there is a great deal that kids might not pick up on, that what makes Babymouse one of those kid books with adult appeal too. It's kind of like Shrek that way: a cartoon movie made for kids but with some subtle adult humor thrown in to keep them entertained too.
Ellen
May 15, 2013 Ellen rated it liked it
All of the Babymouse books are funny, but this one is particularly so due to all the song parodies in it which are great fun to sing.

I want to recommend the series as a whole, too. (as well as the companion series Squish) My oldest was a reluctant reader for a long time (she is very visually oriented) and well written graphic novels and comics aimed at children have been such a wonderful thing for her and really helped her in improving her reading skills in a way that she enjoys.
Kristin
Babymouse is at it again! Typical! Or, should I say, "Brilliant!" like the dashing Henry Higgins from England, who encourages Babymouse to try out for the school's musical production. She gets her big break~ literally ~ as the understudy, and brings down the house. With references to many Broadway productions like Phantom of the Opera, Fame, The Lion King, and of course, Annie, this graphic novel is entertaining for all. Recommended for ages 7 and up.
Nisha Barrett
I thought his book was very good I think it can relate to real life. It’s how kids have dreams and they want to do something and be the best this shows you the courage of this mouse and how she wanted to win the talent show and she wanted to beat the other girl that won it every year so with that attitude she won. If everyone had that pride and believe in there self great things can happen.
  • Lunch Lady and the Picture Day Peril (Lunch Lady, #8)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 3: Superheroes (Amelia Rules! #3)
  • Gabby and Gator
  • Sticky Burr: Adventures in Burrwood Forest (Sticky Burr #1)
  • Hamster and Cheese
  • Binky to the Rescue
  • Benny and Penny in The Big No-No!
  • Fashion Kitty and the Unlikely Hero
  • Fangbone! Third-Grade Barbarian
  • Little Mouse Gets Ready: TOON Level 1
  • The Great Pet Escape
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000 (Frankie Pickle, #2)
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty
Jennifer L. Holm is a NEW YORK TIMES bestselling children's author and the recipient of three Newbery Honors for her novels OUR ONLY MAY AMELIA, PENNY FROM HEAVEN, and TURTLE IN PARADISE.

Jennifer collaborates with her brother, Matthew Holm, on two graphic novel series -- the Eisner Award-winning Babymouse series and the bestselling Squish series. She is also the author of several other highly pra
More about Jennifer L. Holm...

Babymouse (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Queen of the World! (Babymouse, #1)
  • Our Hero (Babymouse, #2)
  • Beach Babe (Babymouse, #3)
  • Rock Star (Babymouse, #4)
  • Heartbreaker (Babymouse, #5)
  • Camp Babymouse (Babymouse, #6)
  • Skater Girl (Babymouse, #7)
  • Puppy Love (Babymouse, #8)
  • Monster Mash (Babymouse, #9)
  • Dragonslayer (Babymouse, #11)