Katie Meets The Impressionists

Katie Meets The Impressionists (Katie)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Katie's trip to the museum to see Impressionist art leads to a magical journey through the actual paintings. In paperback for the first time.

"This British import pays joyful homage to the world of the Impressionists. When Katie and her grandmother visit an art museum to celebrate the elder's birthday, the girl wanders into a gallery where she admires Claude Monet's The Lun...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Scholastic (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Katie Meets The Impressionists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katie Meets The Impressionists

Linnea in Monet's Garden by Christina BjörkYou Can't Take a Balloon into the Metropolitan Museum by Jacqueline Preiss WeitzmanYou Can't Take a Balloon into the National Gallery by Jacqueline Preiss WeitzmanThe Fantastic Jungles of Henri Rousseau by Michelle MarkelMatisse the King of Color by Laurence Anholt
Picture Books About Museums
10th out of 46 books — 7 voters
Shapes Las Formas by Othen Donald Dale CummingsA Pet Banana by Othen Donald Dale CummingsMy First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussMonster's Battle Book 1 by Othen Donald Dale Cummings
Books for five-year-olds
70th out of 186 books — 135 voters

More lists with this book...

Finny
Mommy says: This is a great little series where a little girl named Katie goes to a museum with her grandmother and, as Grandmother dozes, Katie enters the paintings and gets into all kinds of interesting situations. The perfect way to make art come alive for youngsters.
Missy Wagner
I love this story. Katie visits and art museum and travels in and out of paintings to find flowers for her Grandmother. I love the idea of going inside a painting - it captures one's imagination while teaching about art.
Jack Lloyd
James Mayhew has written a very clever series of stories about a young girl, Katie, who can jump inside paintings.

This story is telling of Katie's grandmother's birthday and whilst they visit an art gallery, Katie picks flowers from the different paintings. The story is refreshing as the grandmother is doing something on her birthday that she wants to do, not something to make sure Katie is entertained and happy.

These series of books are fantastic for Art, allowing children to create their own d...more
Annette
We love the Katie books! They are a wonderful introduction to the world of art. I highly recommend them to anyone who loves art and wants to teach a love of art to their young children.
Linda Starr
Very imaginative and educational too. The main character jumps in and out of famous paintings and the picture names and artists are in included in the text.
Janet
The grandmother includes the granddaughter in her special day of celebration of her birthday--a visit to the art museum. I liked the fact that this was what the grandmother wanted to do, not something chosen to entertain the child on someone else's birthday. However, Katie did become entertainednby finding flowers for her grandmother. Isn't the point of art to immerse youtself in it and Katie does so in three paintings from three different artists. This story engaged me and didn't seem contrived...more
Jessica
Used for Kindergarten in the our home education curriculum. My girls are entranced each time we read it. I personally love it as it features some of my favorite artists.
Kristine
Ellie especially loved this one. Her fave thing to do is 'painting' and it was fun to talk about how the impressionists painted and she loved how the little girl used her 'imagination magic' to jump into the paintings. She memorized who painted which painting and in the back of my mind I thought, "If this ever comes up at school they'll think my kid is a freakin' genius!" Not that what other people think is a big deal but it just made me laugh a little.

Verdict: 2 thumbs up from E&Me
Dolly
Nov 27, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I have always loved Impressionist art and I like the way that this book introduces Impressionist art to children. The story is creative and interesting, and yet the art is also focused on. It's a fun story to read aloud and it opens up avenues for discussions about getting "lost" in a painting and where you could go...

I read this book again during my visit to the Musee d'Orsay in Paris in March 2013.

Marcie
Sep 11, 2008 Marcie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All teachers
Recommended to Marcie by: Metropolitan Museum of Art
Shelves: children-s-art
This book is a wonderful way to introduce children to impressionistic painting. The book is about a little girl who goes to the art museum with her grandmother and she takes a "virtual" tour by stepping into the paintings. She finds herself in paintings by Monet, Renoir, Degas, and more! The paintings used are some of the most famous paintings from the impressionistic era.
Kevin
Great story and way to introduce famous artist to the kids.
Po
My daughter usually enjoys books with girls as the main character but for some reason the cover of this one didn't appeal to her. She was hooked after the first time we read it though. I suspect Degas' ballerinas might have had something to do with that.
Michelle Alley
I read this book with my children during summer break last year. The story was sweet, but the activity we planned afterwards was even better. It is a great set-up to a fun painting activity. The story is cute and the pictures are fantastic!
Heather
33 months - this is a different and fun way to look at art with O. I always like stories that to me seem to take an original approach. Apparently there are more Katie books so we will be checking those out from the library soon.
Alisha
Both my daughter and I loved this book! We both enjoyed the story and the history. I appreciated the art history content told in a way that would captivate my daughter!
Zoe
Like all of Mayhew's katie books, a wonderful introduction for children to art of all types - here, Monet, Renoir and Degas.
Rima Halig
Makes you look at art in a different way. The children were able to jump into the painting and go on a little adventure.
Holliann
I love these books. Reg purchased them for me for Christmas many years ago. They are fun, and I love to look at the pictures.
Brittany & Kids
I love these "Katie" books. She visits art museums and jumps inside paintings. My kids love these, too.
Denicemarcell
And I don't really like the Impressionists!
Sandra
A favorite for both kids and I.
Becky
Imaginative, fun and beautiful artwork!
Shannon
...Not as good as the Mona Lisa one!
Alisha
another great by james mayhew
Rebekah Hambrick-shouse
Rebekah Hambrick-shouse marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Emma
Emma added it
Aug 05, 2014
  • The Magical Garden of Claude Monet (Anholt's Artists Books for Children)
  • Linnea in Monet's Garden
  • Action Jackson
  • If You Sailed On The Mayflower
  • How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World
  • A Pair of Red Clogs
Born in Stamford, Lincolnshire in1964, James Mayhew grew up in the Dickensian village of Blundeston in Suffolk. After completing a Foundation Course at Lowestoft College, he studied illustration at Maidstone College of Art, graduating in 1987 with First Class honours. His first book for children was Katie's Pictures Show, (Orchard Books 1989) establishing the long running series about a child's ad...more
More about James Mayhew...
Who Wants A Dragon? Katie and the Mona Lisa Katie and the Sunflowers (Katie) Ella Bella Ballerina and Cinderella Katie's Sunday Afternoon