Start by marking “Broken Symmetry” as Want to Read:
Broken Symmetry

Broken Symmetry

Broken Symmetry is a collection drawn from the experiences of daily life and organized through the context of mathematics. Poet Jack Ridl uses remarkably clear and precise language to express a singular awareness of the world around us. Some of the poems in this volume deal with the universal human experience of loss, others discover a fresh perspective on what is easily o ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Wayne State University Press (first published March 21st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Broken Symmetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Symmetry

Feb 26, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Michigan poet Jack Ridl has created a wonder of a book. If, as they say, God is in the details, the selections in broken symmetry glisten with the divine. Every small item – and Jack chronicles lots of them in his poems: collections of salt and pepper shakers, Vs of geese, broken windows, a spray of violets sent from France during World War II – shines with significance.

Jack’s specificity forces us to pay attention to the complexity of overlooked things, taken-for-granted things, as in his “The
Jaci Millette
Aug 28, 2016 Jaci Millette rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I picked a copy of this collection up at the library in Holland, wanting to read some local Michigan poetry while on vacation downstate. Jack's first two poems, "Broken Symmetry, the title piece, and "The History of Pencils" are absolutely stunning and set high expectations for the rest of the collection-- expectations that were not quite met. Jack's contemplative poems seamlessly flowed together and touched on themes of family, simplicity versus complexity, and the interconnectedness of everyth ...more
Katey Bassett
Jul 27, 2015 Katey Bassett rated it it was amazing
these words got me through a hard time, so thankful someone thought of me when they read these words.
Camille Chidsey
Jan 16, 2013 Camille Chidsey rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I really liked the tone of this book. It's quietly meditative, very lyrical, and I enjoyed his responses to everyday events. It's a nice, contemplative book of poetry, partly because of his nature as a person and partly due to his religious motivations I'm not religious but I think he wrote about religion well. It's a good read for those who say they "don't get poetry."
Tim Lepczyk
Jan 14, 2008 Tim Lepczyk rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Jack was one of my teachers and I'm still learning from him. This collection has a quiet tone to it and the poems shift in unexpected ways that leave you in the right place, but which you had no idea you were heading toward.
Dec 19, 2007 Kiley rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
my uncle is a very well known poet.... a few years ago he was honored with an award that is similar to a pulitzer but for poets. obviously im partial, but this is a must read.
Andrea Cleary
Jul 07, 2008 Andrea Cleary rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book, by the fabulous writer and professor and mentor and friend... Jack Ridl! I cannot wait for his new book to come out.
Jennifer Louden
Jul 31, 2010 Jennifer Louden marked it as to-read
I was lucky enough to attend a writer's retreat with Jack in April - what a wonderful man and talented poet.
Stephen Frey Wagg
Feb 29, 2008 Stephen Frey Wagg rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: poets, michiganders
One of my college poetry professors, a former circus clown, and a native of my adopted love, Pittsburgh.

Jul 31, 2007 Annie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
a poet for anyone who says 'I love poetry' and for anyone who says 'I don't get poetry'...
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2016
Thomas rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2016
Garrett Dennert
Garrett Dennert marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Dana is currently reading it
May 08, 2016
Katelyn rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Jen marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Elizabeth Drake
Elizabeth Drake marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Barb Stodden
Barb Stodden marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Diane rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2014
Amy marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Becca marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
twirls added it
Feb 06, 2014
Joy Gaines-friedler
Joy Gaines-friedler rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2013
Jill rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2013
Tim rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2013
Meridith rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2013
Meghan Florian
Meghan Florian rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2013
Holly rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2013