Start by marking “The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass (Aged 37 3/4)” as Want to Read:
The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass (Aged 37 3/4)

The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass (The Sacred Diaries)

Saturday, December 14thFeel led to keep a diary. A sort of spiritual log for the benefit of others in the future. Each new divine insight and experience will shine like a beacon in the darkness!Can't think of anything to put in today.Still, tomorrow's Sunday. Must be something on a Sunday, surely? Adrian Plass is hilarious, pure and simple. His readers are legion and this

Published April 1st 1990 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass

Doug Trouten
Jul 29, 2007 Doug Trouten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians who are willing to laugh at themselves
A hilariously honest look at the Christian life. You'll be laughing out loud, even as you recognize yourself in some of Adrian's life.
Jul 20, 2007 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, christianity
a funny, lighthearted look into the suburban life of an evangelical Christian. Like Bridget Jones' Diary for British Born-Agains.
Leah
Jan 08, 2008 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Hilarious is the best word to describe this book. Anyone who has ever been frustrated with the church or the people in must read this book. Plass has such a unique point of view that makes you fall in love with annoying people and all their faults. In this particular volume, he takes authority over paper clips, refuses to go Christmas carolling barring a vision, leads a home Bible study, and quarrels with a neighbor. Truly a MUST-READ for anyone in need of a good laugh!!!
Jacquie
May 14, 2008 Jacquie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is one of my all time favorite reads! I have read it about 5 times and have a copy that I lend out. It is a hysterical account of the life of a British man trying to live out the Christian life!
Carre Gardner
Sep 03, 2009 Carre Gardner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like British humor AND you have ever struggled with working out your faith on a daily basis, this is the book for you. Adrian covers about 6 months of his life, journal-style, as he tries to figure out how a Christian is "supposed" to live in regard to things like dirty jokes that are actually funny, church people who talk in Christian jargon-ese, embarassing relatives, raising a teenager, trying to share his faith with his neighbors and a whole host of other real-life dilemmas. Amusing a ...more
Ian
Jul 05, 2012 Ian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Hilarious book. Any christian who is at least a little honest will recognise themselves in this book. Extremely entertaining revealing the rather strange thought processes of your everyday christian, if you're not at least chuckling half of the time when reading this book, not sure whether you will ever find a book that will make you laugh.
Bagger
Sep 04, 2007 Bagger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any one
Shelves: bestever, brits, lol
Refreshingly honest look at Christian life, I have never laughed so hard while reading a fiction book in my life.
The book is worth the price just for Adrian's house guest. Andromeda the seven year old socialist who tries to convince Adrian to release his wife from bondage.
An instant classic.
Nomes
Classic! I sniggered my way through this as a teen and have re-read it a couple of times since.
Jeanette Grant-Thomson
I still laugh when I read this book. Insightful but hilarious. I read it every few years to have a good laugh.
Karyn
Apr 27, 2009 Karyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't generally like religious books and I'm not a religious person, but this was so funny. I'd advise everyone to read it.
Katina
I simply love this book. Lost track of how many times I've read it. It's a 'reading happy place' for me. Truly a book I treasure.
Andrew Nedelchev
Ние, евангелистите, сме сериозни хора. Вероятно повлияни от съдбовната си благовестителска мисия в този свят, сме склонни да обръщаме всички разговори с „невярващи“ – в Интернет или лице в лице – в беседи за моралните ценности и Бога. Нерядко сме и силно обидчиви и готови да припознаем в насмешливото отношение към самите нас съпротива срещу Твореца. Ако е вярно, че смирението се проявява в способността на човека да се надсмива над себе си, то книгата на Адриан Плас „Свещеният дневник на Адриан П ...more
Eleonore Wapler
Jun 13, 2013 Eleonore Wapler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I discovered Adrian Plass and his pal Jeff Lucas a little by accident (or chance) last spring.

I had accepted a friend’s invitation to go to a show: I just caught sight of the title: ‘Seriously Funny’ and thought why not – I like a good laugh. I expected a little comedy show and did not read on. Off we go.

I met up with that friend and an acquaintance and we headed to the show. It was in a church building; as I walked through the door, between the book stall and the ticket desk, I spotted a few fa
rachel
Jul 17, 2008 rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is so quick and funny, but also so wise and honest. i loved it! i'll definitely find more of his work.
Victoria
Jul 30, 2014 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a book you will either love or hate I think. I can be a bumbling Christian, which is why I liked this book. Written in diary form it is the (humorous) story of a Christian man who struggles with being a "good" Christian. He does things like sits to meditate and feels like he has been at it for an hour when it has actually only been 10 minutes and those minutes were often on other thoughts. I have done this so I saw the humour. God does love us. Does he want us to become more like Jesu ...more
Sue
Jan 23, 2016 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, originally a column in a Christian magazine, is written in diary format. The fictional writer has the same name as the real author, but a different family. Although Anne (the fictional wife) and Bridget (the real Adrian Plass’s wife) have rather merged into one in my mind, their college-age son Gerald is unique. He makes bad puns, and spends time making anagrams out of the names of famous people.

I’ve just finished re-reading this book yet again, wondering if I would still find it as
Jim
Mar 09, 2015 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m not really sure just how much there is in the way of “divine insight” but there are some nice little nuggets tucked away. Mostly, though, this is a very funny and entertaining tale, in diary form of a Christian journey, or at least some parts of a journey. And while it is written in Plass’ imagined other-self, there are aspects and situations in it that I think will ring true for many a Christian. It is full of the kind of faux pas, embarrassing moments and dilemmas we have all had at one ti ...more
Evan Hays
Apr 14, 2010 Evan Hays rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: devotional, fiction
So good. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is a Christian (to learn to take yourself less seriously but also to learn ways that we should be more like Christ and to learn the ways that we are downright weird) but I also highly recommend this book to anyone who is not a Christian who is looking to learn a little bit more about what makes us so weird. As an anglophile, I also really love this book. It is basically a semi-autobiographical account of one man's life as a church-going Christi ...more
Monique
Best. Humour. Ever.

I've read it about 40 times I think, and it still makes me crack. It's real British humour, and it is also really recognisable (some episodes are too recognisable I'm ashamed to admit, like when Adrian tried to move a paper clip for a starter - because faith can move a mountain. Yup, I tried that one too. Just for the record, I was eleven back then). I gave this book to my friend to read during a doctors test (it took 20 minutes of lying down and twenty minutes of standing, n
Clare Khan
Feb 25, 2016 Clare Khan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honest yet hilarious views of the church in all its mess as well as all its glory. You might struggle however to understand many of the witticisms if you're not British and/or not a churchgoer.

I will add that it's accuracy of the church and Christians is not just humorous but it's also compassionate and understanding, warm, and sometimes challenging. But not in a heavy way.

I first read this series many years ago but I know I could easily read them again and again.

Laughter is the best medicine.
Mary
Feb 14, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Mary by: Ben McLaughlin
What a wonderful read! This book was loaned and highly recommended to me, so I read it with high expectations - and I wasn't disappointed. It's laugh-aloud funny and also sweetly endearing. Plass offers a truly witty satire on modern Christian practice and belief without being mean-spirited; it's a loving critique with the end message being "Relax! Just love God, and love the people around you." I thoroughly enjoyed it and would read it again; actually, I finished the book just now and considere ...more
Apryl Anderson
(24.05.1994), Mr Plass has the sense of humor that I admire. He can notice the silly things that we do without even noticing ourselves, and point them out in a way that makes them seem even funnier.
Throughout the story, one can see that Plass is aware that all of us are classified as Christian or non-Christian, and that each of us remain an individual character, and each individual character does things that are absurdly human, even though he may (or may not) be a Christian.
Funny, how we all
Jules
Apr 21, 2012 Jules rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
This is an incredibly great book. I cannot state this enough. It is a funny book but it also a serious look at contemporary, evangelical Christianity. It takes apart the religious and focuses on the reality of sincere Christians seeking God and community. It makes me feel like I’m not a terrible Christian, but a seeker of Christ, a man searching for grace, and a life longing for purpose. What a great book. It is short, and I wish that it had been longer!
Nina
Sprachlich ist dieses Buch nicht besonders schön: Zum einen ist es leider nur im Telegrammstil geschrieben und zum anderen ist es durchweg umgangssprachlich. Es ist stellenweise sehr humorvoll, aber teilweise auch langweilig.
Dieses Buch wurde aus dem Englischen übersetzt, wobei leider viel verändert werden musste, was nicht übersetzbar war (Anagramme). Daher empfehle ich das Buch, wenn überhaupt, im englischen Original zu lesen.
Originaltitel: "The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass"
Rosy
Jan 19, 2016 Rosy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 20th-century
OK, now in my forties I have to say that this last time, perhaps I was beginning at last to grow out of it (it is also now quite dated, of course). But the first, second, third...times I read this, I laughed out loud many times, and read bits of it to family, who also laughed. I would read this book to my older son when he was ill or unhappy. Me too--I would pick it up as a pick me up. I probably still will. It was, over the long haul, one of the funniest books I've ever read.
Jonathan Greenwood
As an Australian, I tend to "get" British humour to some degree more than US humour.

"The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass, Aged 37 3/4" is the first in the "Sacred Diary" series, and sometimes I nearly fell over laughing reading it.

If you're a Christian, there are fundamental truths to this book that you may not have realised.

10/10, I loved it.
Lynne Burkholder
I read this book about twenty years ago,laughed continuously during the read and forgot the authors name. Not too swift! About two months ago I did a bit of internet research and discovered Adrian Plass is the name of the author. This guy is hilarious and insightful all in one breath! Oh,I want to write like this man!

You HAVE to buy this book!
Andrea
Oct 24, 2015 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, 2015
This one wasn't as funny as Andromeda Veal, so now I'm glad I didn't read it first as I might not have been inspired to keep reading the series if I had. Also a bit dated to 80s England, with references to people I don't know, but more pop-culture references than political this time. But a good read overall with some really good spiritual messages in-between the laughs.
Sarnee
I loved this book. Made me laugh out loud much to the annoyance of my husband. Think at one point I laughed till I couldn't breathe. Perhaps it was because I recognised these characters in my church! We all have them! Possibly I am one of them. This is Christianity with its soul bared and able to poke fun at itself. Brilliant.
Trish Boese
Jan 16, 2016 Trish Boese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
5* A fun book, very humorous to follow Adrian's diary as he tries to be a good Christian! I first read this book after reading a Mitford book by Jan Karon and there are definitely similarities between Adrian and Father Tim. Both are lovable, sincere souls.
The Cat 2 12 Mar 10, 2012 06:34AM
  • The Other Side of the Dale
  • The Man Born to Be King: A Play-Cycle on the Life of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ
  • The Sex Life of My Aunt
  • The Fight
  • Splashes Of Joy In The Cesspools Of Life
  • Theres a Sheep in My Bathtub: Birth of a Mongolian Church Planting Movement
  • Improving Your Serve
  • Abduction (A Shefford-Johnson Case, #1)
  • God Is a Matchmaker
  • From Jerusalem to Irian Jaya: A Biographical History of Christian Missions
  • Welcome to Biscuit Land: A Year in the Life of Touretteshero
  • In Search of the Source: A First Encounter with God's Word
  • Lottie Biggs is (not) Mad (Lottie Biggs, #1)
  • Just Hand Over the Chocolate and No One Will Get Hurt
Adrian Plass is a writer and speaker who has produced over thirty books in the last twenty years. The best known of these is probably The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass, a gentle satire on the modern church, which has sold hundreds of thousands of copies worldwide. This and other books have travelled to other countries and are translated into a number of foreign languages. Other books include biogra ...more
More about Adrian Plass...

The Sacred Diaries (6 books)
  • The Horizontal Epistles Of Andromeda Veal
  • The Theatrical Tapes of Leonard Thynn
  • The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass, Christian Speaker, Aged 45 3/4
  • The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass, on Tour: Aged Far Too Much to Be Put on the Front Cover of a Book
  • Adrian Plass and the Church Weekend