Start by marking “Xenophobe's Guide to the English” as Want to Read:
Xenophobe's Guide to the English

Xenophobe's Guide to the English (The Xenophobe's Guide)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Never overstep the mark

Moderation—a treasured ideal—means a lot to the English. Their respect for it is reflected in their shared dislike of any person who “goes too far.”

Irrational rationality

The English can admire something without enjoying it, or enjoy something they suspect is fundamentally reprehensible. You can never be sure which stance they are going to take—the re
Published April 1st 2008 by Oval Books (first published October 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Xenophobe's Guide to the English, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Xenophobe's Guide to the English

Gabriele
Having lived in England for some years I do agree with most of it. Very funny.
Mark ~ Sinfully All Male Romance
After reading The Xenophobe's guide to the Germans, where I've worked and lived the past twenty odd years, decided to read the book about my nation. Again I found it amusing and contains many truths. Only after working and living in a foreign country can we really appreciate who we are and see our own culture objectively. It's like putting mirror in front of your face, we're all prisoners of our own culture.
I think we have to take all the books in this series with a pinch of salt and not too se
Chris
Crossposted at Booklikes.

Really funny. I got this when my friend was cleaning out his books. I will try to find more in this series.

Wonderful comments about English people like – “When Lloyd Webber meets Beatrix Potter, nobody will be able to get a seat”.

Jenna Veirs
I love the Xenophobe books, and have a collection of them in my kitchen. Why the kitchen? They are cute and look nice with the cookbooks. These books are very stereotypical, but fun.
Adele Pokorna
Skvělá, vtipná a praktická knížečka.
David Baird
I enjoyed very much the Xenophibe's Guide to The Danes, it was a very funny book and exactly explained the odd behaviour of my Danish wife and in-laws. With the English book I was looking for simillar laughs about myself, but found the book far less entertaining. That's not to say it wasn't correct in many ways, but it lacked the sarcasm of the Danish guide.

Still fun though and can be read in about an hour.
Rebecca
A great read, full of observations and stereotypes of the English.
I'll admit, I agreed with quite a lot of it.

It's separated into sections discussing everything from what we think of ourselves, what others think of us, sports, culture, government and so on.

The Xenophobe's Guides are generally a good laugh :)
Phoebe
Interesting and funny, but I had expected more "English wit". :)
Especially since even the book put it that well: "In England, brains are optional but a sense of humour is compulsary."
Could have been even more humour for my taste. But it was a nice leisure-time book anyway! :)
Meri
Finally, a Xenophobe's Guide almost as good as the Guide to the Scots. Perhaps it is the dry, English humor, perhaps it is the dry, English people, but this book was certainly an entertaining read.
Virginie
I think I am going to read the whole series of these Xenophobe's Guides! Very interesting to decipher why people act or react as they do depending on which culture they come from!
Okkyun
Super! Hilarious! The writing style looks very British. I do love to read Xenophobe's Guide to the Korean, if the publisher has a plan to add one for the series.
Marzena
An entertaining set of stereotypes about the English. I can only question the translation and publishing errors which were disappointing.
Mary
Kind of interesting look at the British and how they view other groups.
Jana
Helped a lot for my presentation on britishness!
Jonathan
Funny and True
Pat Fdez
Pat Fdez marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Thalia
Thalia marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Carmen
Carmen added it
Jun 16, 2015
Karolina Truszczyńska
Karolina Truszczyńska marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
  • The Xenophobe's Guide to the Germans
  • Xenophobe's Guide to the Americans
  • The Xenophobe's Guide to the Swedes
  • The Xenophobe's Guide to the Danes
  • The Calorie King Calorie, Fat & Carbohydrate Counter 2007
  • The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations
  • Farewell The Trumpets: An Imperial Retreat
  • The Amazing Book of Useless Information: More Things You Didn't Need to Know But Are About to Find Out
  • Mr. Christmas
  • Basic Principles of Curriculum and Instruction
  • A Concise Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament
  • Barnum. Cronache dal Grande Show
  • An Introduction to English Poetry
  • Maeve Binchy: Three Complete Books: The Lilac Bus; Firefly Summer; Silver Wedding
He has written several books on Victorian songs and society. Now he works as a public relations consultant. Resides in Wandsworth.
More about Antony Miall...

The Xenophobe's Guide (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Xenophobe's Guide to the Americans
  • Xenophobe's Guide to the Chinese
  • Xenophobe's Guide to the Czechs
  • The Xenophobe's Guide to the Danes
  • The Xenophobe's Guide to the Dutch
The Victorian Nursery Book The Victorian Christmas book Musical Bumps Everyman's Book of Sea Songs The Early Piano

“The English, who look on stoically as national health hospitals in run-down metropolitan areas close their wards through lack of support and patients spend time on trolleys in corridors, are comforted by the knowledge that wounded hedgehogs are tenderly cared for in a hedgehog hospital.” 1 likes