Built from Scratch: How a Couple of Regular Guys Grew The Home Depot from Nothing to $30 Billion

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  10 reviews
One of the greatest entrepreneurial success stories of the past twenty years

When a friend told Bernie Marcus and Arthur Blank that "you've just been hit in the ass by a golden horseshoe," they thought he was crazy. After all, both had just been fired. What the friend, Ken Langone, meant was that they now had the opportunity to create the kind of wide-open warehouse store t...more
Published July 3rd 2001 by Crown Business (first published April 27th 1999)

Barry
Very readable and surprisingly candid. To say that Home Depot grew "from nothing" is misleading, these guys were well bankrolled by investors, but it still a great story. I think their successors strayed from the customer service ethic and should read this book.
Lisbeth Calandrino
This is one of the best business books of the last 50 years. How two poor guys who just been let go from Two Guys manage to raise enough money to start the big box phase of merchandising. They promised anyone who would help them that they would make them rich--and they did.

Ross Perot is still kicking himself for not joining them. He just didn't get it.

Filled with excitement, fun and a keen sense of the customer. I read it once yearly.

Having consulted for Home Depot years ago I managed to be the...more
Christopher Lewis Kozoriz
Written by the founders of Home Depot. Both tell their story of how they started Home Depot and believe it or not they started it when they were fired from their jobs.

They share their struggles and successes in starting Home Depot. Great book to read if you ever wondered how Home Depot started.
Brian Cuban
I love this book. Regardless of how you feel about Home Depot as it exists today, this book has everyting that goes into a successful startup, perserverance, loyalty, risk, rejection, putting everything on the line for a vision..... Very fast read and captivating read.......
Dave
It's a self-serving vanity read, but a lot of the business principles are still sound nonetheless.

Shortly after this book was published co-author Arthur Blank was escorted out the CEO position by his good friend co-author Bernie Marcus.

But that's just business.
Eric Bjerke
A great story of how Home Depot rose to be a power in the retail world. I love success stories like this.
Julie Sikorski
I really enjoyed reading this book. I am starting a new job and they asked me to read this before I start. I can see how important the customer focused running of a business makes the business successful.
Heather Shore
I bought this book when it first came out and was working on a program with Mr. Marcus. He was kind enough to sign it for me. I enjoyed reading it and learning how the empire was started.
Jerry Della
Interesting story on the building of Home Depot from scratch by the two founders.
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
T.A.V
T.A.V added it
Apr 16, 2014
Jeffrey Johnson
Jeffrey Johnson marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Alex Lyashok
Alex Lyashok marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Veronika
Veronika marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Nafis Khan
Nafis Khan marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Sam Reaves
Sam Reaves marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Josh Hamilton
Josh Hamilton marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Jesse Nading
Jesse Nading marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Dead on Arrival: How the Anti-Business Backlash Is Destroying Entrepreneurship in America-And What We Can Still Do about It! How Not to Hire A Guy Like Me: Lessons Learned from CEOs' Mistakes