Found in the Street

Found in the Street

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  269 ratings  ·  24 reviews
When Ralph Linderman returns a stranger's wallet he found during a morning stroll through Greenwich Village, he is entirely unprepared for the complex maze of sexual obsession and disturbing psychological intrigue he is about to be drawn into.

Patricia Highsmith, author of 'The Tremor of Forgery', 'Strangers on a Train', and 'The Cry of the Owl' has once again created an u...more
Published March 31st 1994 by Atlantic Monthly Press (first published 1986)

The Color Purple by Alice WalkerTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeAsswhole by Steve ByrneA Psalm for Cock Robin by E.E. "Doc" MurdockThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
GREAT AMERICAN WRITING
28th out of 68 books — 9 voters
Strangers on a Train by Patricia HighsmithThe Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia HighsmithDeep Water by Patricia HighsmithA Suspension of Mercy by Patricia HighsmithRipley's Game by Patricia Highsmith
Top Patricia Highsmith books
18th out of 25 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Maria João Fernandes
Jack Sutherland perde a carteira ao sair do táxi, mas a história só começa verdadeiramente quando Ralph Linderman lha devolve, uma hora mais tarde. Um acontecimento curioso e inesperado, na cidade de Nova Iorque.

Jack Sutherland é ilustrador de profissão. Apesar de não ser famoso, tem bastante sucesso no seu meio de trabalho. As suas ilustrações são bastante apreciadas pela sua mulher, amigos e colegas de trabalho. Nasceu no seio de uma família com dinheiro e após ter sido preso, na sua juventude...more
Joanne
Here is a sentence from this sad effort: "When he HAD become 18, and HAD gone to college for a while, he HAD realized his mother's limitations, and then he HAD decided to accept her as she was, and to do his duty by her also , when his father HAD died." Emphasis mine. On that page HAD was used 25 times.
Everyone in this book should have been smacked upside the head, and Patricia and her editors too.
Ruth
If I held a book Olympics, this novel would definitely medal, and depending on the competition, possibly a gold… Not only is it a good read, it has depth and substance. A book I savored. I enjoy the descriptive prose, very precise, and detailed.

A book like this actually improves my quality of life, I am sure of it.

Central characters include a power couple. The husband is presented as happily married and enjoying professional and artistic success as a graphic artist and illustrator. He is a bit...more
Jessica
Not her best...skip it, I'd say.
Highsmith sometimes has a clunky style, and it's very apparent here. Also, I was living in NYC when I read it and Highsmith's New York didn't ring true, written as it was, years after she'd lived there, from her home in Switzerland or France.
Alex Hamilton
Patricia Highsmith has spun yet another tale of disturbing intrigue. Ralph Linderman, like so many of Highsmith's "weirdos," thinks of himself as a good guy, but everyone else who meets him encounters something slightly off about the middle-aged man with a dog named God. A night guard by profession, he has taken to following Elsie, a young blonde girl from upstate New York, often warning her not to fall in with the wrong crowed. When Ralph finds and returns a lost wallet to John Sutherland, an a...more
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Allen Lotz
A steaming pile...of bad writing. 2D characters who do nothing but say vacuous things, as well as long winded descriptions of nothingness. No suspense as the book jacket implies. Highsmith seems to garner a lot of praise, and I'm sorry I read this because I can't see reading anything else by this author again.
Jody  Julian
I love the way Patricia Highsmith examines the murky area between moral and amoral, acceptable behavior and unacceptable behavior, and everything in between. In this book, she zooms in on a single, older man who seems innocuous enough but develops an obsession with a young waitress. Highsmith deftly places the reader inside a 'harmless' stalker's mind and the rationalizations used.
Add to the mix a middle-aged father and husband who is also irresistibly pulled to the same vibrant youn...more
Marina Sofia
Was disappointed by this, perhaps because I normally find Patricia Highsmith so enjoyable and reliably brilliant. While we have here her trademark witty characterisations (of people's blind spots), this story never really hangs together for me. It is about a bunch of very different people living in New York and vaguely connected to each other through the charming but volatile blonde Elsie. There is potential there for menace, but the constant hint of danger or a misguided stalker full of good in...more
Zoe
2.5

Not poorly written but I was expecting to be wrenched off the ground and writhing in sick pains and agony from an inescapable situation...what a strange feeling reading this after 'Eleven.'

I never liked pretentious relationships and so-called bohemians anyway. I think it's because I'm envious.

Ralph could have had more airplay. I preferred his eccentricities to the gushings of artsy yuppie types having classy parties.

Cheryl
Recently read about Patricia Highsmith in the New York Review of Books and wondered why I'd never read her before as her style and tone, it would seem, would be a perfect match to mine. At random, chose this book from the local library and was not disappointed. Wonderful insightful characterization wed to the subtly unexpected, all not to bright, a bit shaded. I'll be reading more of her in future.
Fnouristani
I am in my Patricia Highsmith kick so I just started this, but have been too busy to get far,.. but i like it...

I love Patricia Highsmith and really like her books and the way she writes.. the creepy characters always cause me anxiety. I think she was way ahead of her time for the topics that she writes about thats probably why she was not very popular duringher lifetime..
Cath
during the book I was always waiting for something to actually happen and by the end I just wanted to finish the last pages to get it over with. it was well written but I couldn't relate to the characters (only liked jack and I think it perhaps I'm biased with artistic people) and all the story just didn't seem to have any direction, can't really explain it.
Anne
Another Highsmith that does not disappoint, primarily because Highsmith develops complex characters who are neither sympathetic nor likable, but nevertheless intriguing. The plot doesn't really go anywhere, but the NYC setting comes alive. A stronger ending would have earned the novel another star perhaps. This ending left me wondering, "so what?" just a bit.
Rosa
I enjoy Highsmith's writing and characterization, but the plot here was meandering, the ending anticlimactic. I was mostly struck by what awful parents Jack and Natalia were. But I'm looking forward to reading Highsmith's "The Blunderer" which I bought at the same time.
Tosh
Another creepy novel by the great Highsmith that made my skin crawl away and hide under the bed. But god knows what kind of horror you'll find under the bed. And like under the bed, Highsmith can take an innocent action and make it into a gateway to pure hell.
Alwa
Didn't like this one so much...seemed to just meander to the end for no reason. Last page, particularly, was not doing it for me. Plus I hated Elsie. But that's just my own natural unpleasantness.
C.L.
It kept my interest because I kept wondering what was going to happen. I was surprised that Elsie died and I always like to be surprised but must confess that I did not like the ending so much.
Ann M
3.5 stars. Some nice pacing and suspense. She does a good job with disagreeable characters. I skimmed at the end, too much meandering for my taste.
Barbara Michel
This is an excellent crime novel set in NYC.
Diego Pita

Great suspense book, elegant, disturbing.
Bettina Oswald
Very slow until the very end...
Clay Kindred
Not her best, but still riveting.
Tom
Oct 01, 2013 Tom added it
Started only
Sofia Popova
Sofia Popova marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Dsdmona
Dsdmona is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2014
Andrew Cauthorn
Andrew Cauthorn marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Amanda Reed
Amanda Reed is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2014
Lateef Adeosun
Lateef Adeosun marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Steve Gase
Steve Gase marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
  • The Barbarous Coast
  • Heartstones
  • I Should Have Stayed Home
  • The Butterfly
  • Walkin' the Dog
  • The Wrong Case
  • The Fabulous Clipjoint
  • Dirty Money (Parker, #24)
  • In a Lonely Place
  • Kiss Me Again, Stranger: A Collection Of Eight Stories, Long And Short
  • Background to Danger
  • The Kill-Off
  • The Price of Power: Kissinger in the Nixon White House
  • The Sundial
  • Gallowglass
  • Die Konferenz der Tiere
Patricia Highsmith was an American novelist who is known mainly for her psychological crime thrillers which have led to more than two dozen film adaptations over the years.

She lived with her grandmother, mother and later step-father (her mother divorced her natural father six months before 'Patsy' was born and married Stanley Highsmith) in Fort Worth before moving with her parents to New York in...more
More about Patricia Highsmith...
The Talented Mr. Ripley (Ripley, #1) Strangers on a Train The Price of Salt Ripley's Game (Ripley, #3) Ripley Under Ground (Ripley, #2)