Start by marking “Vineyard Fear (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #4)” as Want to Read:
Vineyard Fear (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #4)

Vineyard Fear (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #4)

Escaping the city and its violence, ex-cop Jeff "J. W." Jackson found solace in fishing, cooking, and simplyenjoying life on Martha's Vineyard -- and nothing, he figures, will ever entice him to leave. However, suddenly there's a very real possibility that his lady love Zee will be departing the idyllic island forever. And when a young student commits suicide, and a girlfr

Published April 27th 2004 by Avon (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Vineyard Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vineyard Fear

Susan
Cliff Hanger by Philip R. Craig is book 4 of the Martha’s Vineyard mystery series set in the 1990s. The first 3 books of the series have been set on Martha’s Vineyard, but half of this one is set in Durango Colorado.

J. W. Jackson, retired from Boston PD in his mid-thirties with a bullet near his spine, lives a vacation lifestyle on Martha’s Vineyard. Besides fishing he does handyman work, occasionally works for the police, and takes care of vacation homes for friends.

“Books, beer, fish, and fre
Ed
Feb 07, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#4 in the Martha's Vineyard Mystery series.

When former cop Jeff Jackson saves Geraldine Miles from her abusive boyfriend, someone--possibly the boyfriend--makes two attempts on Jeff's life. Or is the attacker mistaking him for Weststock College professor John Skye? Skye, forsaking the Vineyard for a summer in Colorado with his family, needs to be warned. So J.W., at loose ends since his girlfriend Zee is attending some conferences for August, heads for the Rockies--with a homicidal pursuer on hi
Connie
Jan 11, 2012 Connie rated it it was amazing
VINEYARD FEAR by Philip R Craig is 237 pages in paperback form. It was also printed as CLIFF HANGER. This is #4 in A Martha's Vineyard Mystery.

Brief Description:

FISH OUT OF WATER
Escaping the city and its violence, ex-cop Jeff "J. W." Jackson found solace in fishing, cooking, and simply enjoying life on Martha's Vineyard--and nothing, he figures, will ever entice him to leave. However, suddenly there's a very real possibility that his lady love Zee will be departing the idyllic island forever. An
LJ
CLIFF HANGER (aka Vineyard Fear) - VG
Craig, Philip R. - 4th in Matha's Vineyard series

Escaping the city and its violence, ex-cop Jeff "J. W." Jackson found solace in fishing, cooking, and simply enjoying life on Martha's Vineyard -- and nothing, he figures, will ever entice him to leave. However, suddenly there's a very real possibility that his lady love Zee will be departing the idyllic island forever. And when a young student commits suicide, and a girlfriend-abusing thug starts spewing vicio
Wayne Zurl
Sep 25, 2012 Wayne Zurl rated it really liked it
I like Philip Craig's Martha's Vineyard mysteries. J.W.'s days of fishing, clamming and generally intergrating his maritime activities with solving a crime or two reminds me of my years living on the east end of Long Island. After reading VINEYARD FEAR, I have a new favorite.

Jackson starts out on The Vineyard, gets a major disappointment in his love life, takes a trip to the mainland, and someone tries to kill him. Or was it a case of mistaken identity? This all leads our disabled ex-Boston cop
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Martha's Vineyard is the setting for this excellent cozy series. JW Jackson and his family and friends are involved in solving crimes or being the target for some interesting situations.
Eliza
Jun 19, 2016 Eliza rated it really liked it
These are great beach reads!
Renee
Aug 04, 2011 Renee rated it it was ok
This was the first book of this series I have read. I liked the Martha's Vineyard venue (esp having been there before... added interest to his comings and goings). Unfortunately, the mystery itself was pretty weak. Though, I admit mystery is no longer my genre.
Janet
Jul 08, 2010 Janet rated it really liked it
I am so in love with series. This one was so exciting. I was on vacation when I read it, I had to squeeze it in every chance I got. I like the ending. I'm glad Zee came back. J W would be lost without her.
Kathie
May 11, 2013 Kathie rated it it was amazing
Great book. Change of scenery from Martha's Vineyard and lots of mountain views. Interesting mystery. JW had some big adventure but lived to survive so he can continue on in the rest of the series.
Julaine
Oct 16, 2007 Julaine rated it liked it
This series isn't exceptional, but I keep reading them when I find them. Something about the characters keep me coming back - I like the idea of living on the island and not having a real job.
B.
Jan 24, 2009 B. rated it it was amazing
Love Philip Craig's series in Martha's Vineyard. He has created a protagonist similar to Dick Francis' characters.
A touch of romance, a lot of suspense, a great setting.
Marci
Dec 27, 2011 Marci rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2011
I really really like this series. J W keeps growing on me. I love the setting. Warning these books make you incredibly hungry. Give me a man that can garden & cook anyday.
Sep 25, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
I love this series. I don't like the changes the publisher (new publisher?) made to the titles. This title is the worst yet in my opinion.
David
Jun 24, 2012 David rated it really liked it
Philip Craig's Martha's Vineyard Mysterys are great "little reading," as Thoreau would say, esp. if you love the Vineyard. Parker fans will approve.
Niece
May 29, 2015 Niece rated it it was amazing
Setting Martha's Vineyard-retired Boston Police Officer-J.W. Jackson
Light mystery/light romance...good series/enjoyed!
Nancy
Aug 19, 2009 Nancy rated it really liked it
Read the book as "Cliff Hanger" and thought it was very good! Like his stories..like the characters...like the setting.
Cindy
Apr 20, 2009 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read, similar to Mrs. Pollifax, not heavy, not violent, just good escapism.
Carol
Jul 27, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it
Set in Martha's Vineyard and Colorado. Two of my favorite vacation spots.
Carol
Nov 29, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading for the third time. Just as good!
Nancy H
Mar 23, 2014 Nancy H rated it really liked it
I am really enjoying this series!
Karla
Sep 20, 2009 Karla added it
Shelves: 1996
Originally published as Cliff Hanger.
Tommyb
May 01, 2009 Tommyb added it
Shelves: 11-21-2007, 6-51
Fiction,Mystery
Debbie
Debbie added it
Sep 18, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Karie
Karie rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Elvita
Elvita rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Marcia Sheppard
Marcia Sheppard rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
  • Nervous Water (Brady Coyne, #23)
  • Dangerous Undertaking (Buryin' Barry, #1)
  • A Widow's Curse (Fever Devilin, #4)
  • A Glancing Light (The Chris Norgren Mysteries, #2)
  • The 27-Ingredient Chili Con Carne Murders (Eugenia Potter, #4)
  • The Cornbread Killer (Heaven Lee, #5)
  • Chocolate Dipped Death (A Candy Shop Mystery, #2)
  • But Why Shoot the Magistrate? (Thoroughly Southern, #2)
  • Do Unto Others
  • More Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: A Drop-Top Culinary Cruise Through America's Finest and Funkiest Joints
  • Wicked Fix (Home Repair is Homicide, #3)
  • Threaded for Trouble (Threadville Mystery, #2)
  • The Body Lovers
Author Philip R. Craig passed away on May 8, 2007 after a brief battle with cancer.

Phil left three completed novels, which have now all been published posthumously. Vineyard Stalker came out in June of 2007 just after Phil's death. Third Strike, co-written with Bill Tapply, came out in November of 2007. The final J.W. Jackson mystery, Vineyard Chill, is on the shelves now. Another J.W. book is pa
More about Philip R. Craig...

Martha's Vineyard Mystery (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • A Beautiful Place to Die (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #1)
  • Death in Vineyard Waters (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #2)
  • Vineyard Deceit (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #3)
  • Off Season (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #5)
  • A Case of Vineyard Poison (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #6)
  • Death on a Vineyard Beach (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #7)
  • A Deadly Vineyard Holiday (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #8)
  • A Shoot on Martha's Vineyard (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #9)
  • A Fatal Vineyard Season (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #10)
  • Vineyard Blues (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #11)