Start by marking “Life Goes On: A Harmony Novel (Harmony, #5)” as Want to Read:
Life Goes On: A Harmony Novel (Harmony, #5)

Life Goes On: A Harmony Novel (Harmony #5)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  653 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Squarely in the crosshairs of the Church's heresy hunters, can Pastor Sam survive?

It's a madcap year in Harmony, Indiana, as Sam Gardner struggles through his fourth year as pastor of the Harmony Friends Meeting. Join the thousands of readers who have fallen in love with the charming small town that hosts what BookPage calls "the biggest collection of crusty, lovable chara
Published March 29th 2005 by HarperOne (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Life Goes On, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life Goes On

Annette
Read approx. 1/2 of this book over the last couple of days, and I will Probably finish it because it's there.
I read the first in the series 18 months ago, and searching for a quick read, picked this one at random from the stack without bothering to determine it was #5. It doesn't matter: they're all a series of loosely connected anecdotes, and I am sure that you could pick up any one and probably open in the middle to boot without feeling like you'd missed much.
That said, like the first book,
Elizabeth
This book was funny! Not as funny as The Christmas Scrapbook, perhaps, but vastly amusing nonetheless. This book is a series of amusing anecdotes set throughout the year, detailing the experiences of Sam, minister of a Quaker church in Harmony, Indiana. I enjoy books that make me laugh out loud, and this one did.

I think its biggest flaw, maybe its only flaw, was taking itself too seriously. Most novels have some central conflict that builds up until the climax, but this book, a series of funny v
Crystal
I laugh at Dale Hinshaw and the rest of the "troublesome trio" as they make an "elaborate show of placing plugs in their ears" when battle-weary pastor Sam rises to preach. I think, "I know someone like Dale!" You know him too, the annoying legalistic ever "requiring the fires of division be regularly stoked.
Indeed, this book is more than just a fun read. You'll finish a better person, if you will let it work it's magic. You'll be "stretched," never to return to your "original size" and not eve
Tom
Feb 01, 2015 Tom rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who enjoy clean humorous fiction
Recommended to Tom by: My library's cross reference section
This was my first introduction to Philip Gulley's work and to Quaker life. I am a sucker for quirky characters and found an interesting collection of them in Life Goes On: A Harmony Novel. I will definitely read more of his stories. I definitely recommend Gulley's fiction if you are in the mood for a chuckle and a light read.
Dan Smith
Amazing work by Phillip Gulley to capture the antics of the small town members of a Quaker congregation.. I enjoy reading these stories of how the preacher always seems to bring out the best of everyone else, even when he is designated as the bad guy..

Love the stories.
Leanne
Absolutely hilarious. Laughed out loud so hard I cried, garnering strange looks from my fellow beach loungers. Also a good reminder to look at people who drive us crazy in a different light.
Elaine
In this Harmony book, Dale and Fern and some of the others want Sam ousted. The newly voted-in Sausage Queen is a vegetarian and folks are not happy about that. Deena has a new flame. Dale's wife Dolores has had enough of Dale and his ways. He's just given away most of the money they had been saving for an anniversary trip. She takes off and Dale is hurting. When Sam steps in to help him, Dale starts making demands of him. It doesn't take long for Sam to get an idea of what it's been like for Do ...more
Patty
Book 4 in the Harmony series. Sam Gardner, in his 4th year as a Quaker Minister, is faced with the controvery involving one of the most prominent citizens of Harmony. Another townsperson believes she has met her future husband while another considers leaving her know-it-all husband. A story filled with life lessons that we can all relate to.
Thing Two
Dec 15, 2014 Thing Two rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Thing Two by: Loren Roby
I want to say this is a cross between Father Tim from Jan Karon's Mitford series and listening to Garrison Keillor tell one of his Lake Wobegon stories, but flipping the book over I noticed Publishers Weekly already said it. So, I'll just say it's cute.
M
Author has sense of humor - creates interesting characters, but didn't enjoy the book much until the last few chapters. The first chapters were disjointed and there was no continuing story, so hard to keep my attention.
Rosanne
Sep 24, 2012 Rosanne added it
Shelves: gentle-reads
I keep reading these books. The parts that I love keep me reading. Other parts make me wonder why I keep reading, yet I keep reading. I am not sure if I will finish reading the series.
Nancy Welsh
I enjoyed reading of Philip Gulley's description of being a minister in a small mid-west town. It brought back memories of growing up in the mid'west and brought many smiles to my face.
Julie
Some of Philip Gulley's unitarian ideas become more apparent in this book which don't exactly bother me but may some Christians. I still enjoy the humor and the characters.
Nikki
It's always a joy to visit with the community of Harmony! Proof that all communities take a mix of all kinds. And, that you can find a way to love....most of them.
Tammy
This is a book where there are passages when you just have to grab your spouse and say -"let me read you this part" Some great life perspectives and great humor.
Book Concierge
I really enjoy this series. Gulley writes with such humor and tenderness about these residents of a small town in Indiana, whom we have come to love.
MnMs
Similar to the Midford series..
A quaker minister has many trials
with the people in a little town
that give joy as well as struggles.
Kim
I liked this one the least out of the Harmony books I've read...it was a little depressing for me for some reason...but not too bad.
Judith
The theology leaves a lot to be desired, but for a gentle book of small town life to pass the time on jet lag, this is a good one!
Lanette
I'm still thinking this series is getting stale, but I'm this far in so I'll continue on. They are very quick reads, afterall.
Joyce
I love all the quirky characters in the Harmony series books. I have loved all the ones I have read so far.
Karin
Loved it! It was a day brightener. I need to read the others in the series. Definitely looking forward to it!
Jan
Dec 30, 2011 Jan added it
Great read. Many laughs and thought provoking too. Sent this to many as my gift this holiday season.
Vania
Another instalment of the Harmony series. I've really enjoyed the characters and the small town setting.
Glenette
Philip Gulley writes some of the funniest stories. I enjoy "visiting" Harmony more and more with every book.
Rhonda
Cute little story, life in a small town...reminded me of Garrison Keillor and his books...
Sharon Goss
Great storyteller. Read series from beginning so you get to know the characters.
Carrie
Always a fun fast read. Just an enjoyable series. Boy, it does ring true to church.
NancyInWI
I love the characters of Harmony and Philip Gulley never gets old!
Anu
Another delightful book, filled with small town charm and wit.
  • A Miracle for St. Cecilia's
  • Velma Still Cooks in Leeway
  • Dandelions in a Jelly Jar
  • Rebecca's Rose (Forever After in Apple Lake #2)
  • Miss Julia Strikes Back (Miss Julia, #8)
  • The Mitford Years Boxed Set Volumes 1-3
  • Dearest Dorothy, Are We There Yet? (Dearest Dorothy, #1)
  • The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories
  • Home Song: A Cape Light Novel
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Welcome Committee of Butternut Creek: A Novel
  • Saving Gideon (Clover Ridge, #1)
  • Lotsa Luck (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #10)
  • The Three Mrs. Parkers
Philip Gulley has become the voice of small-town American life. Along with writing Front Porch Tales, Hometown Tales, and For Everything a Season, Gulley is the author of the Harmony series of novels, as well as If Grace Is True and If God Is Love, which are coauthored with James Mulholland.

He hosts "Porch Talk with Phil Gulley" on the Indiana PBS affiliate WFYI television's flagship show Across I
More about Philip Gulley...

Harmony (7 books)
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony, #1)
  • Just Shy of Harmony (Harmony, #2)
  • Signs and Wonders: A Harmony Novel (Harmony, #3)
  • Christmas in Harmony: A Harmony Story (Harmony, #4)
  • A Change of Heart: A Harmony Novel (Harmony, #6)
  • Almost Friends: A Harmony Novel (Harmony, #7)
Home to Harmony (Harmony, #1) Just Shy of Harmony (Harmony, #2) Christmas in Harmony: A Harmony Story (Harmony, #4) If Grace Is True: Why God Will Save Every Person (Grace Series, #1) Signs and Wonders: A Harmony Novel (Harmony, #3)