Start by marking “Life Goes On (Harmony, #4)” as Want to Read:
Life Goes On (Harmony, #4)

Life Goes On (Harmony #4)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  790 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Squarely in the crosshairs of the Church's heresy hunters, can Pastor Sam survive?

It's a madcap year in Harmony, Indiana, as Sam Gardner struggles through his fourth year as pastor of the Harmony Friends Meeting. Join the thousands of readers who have fallen in love with the charming small town that hosts what BookPage calls "the biggest collection of crusty, lovable chara
Published March 29th 2005 by HarperOne (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Life Goes On, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life Goes On

Elizabeth
Jul 06, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was funny! Not as funny as The Christmas Scrapbook, perhaps, but vastly amusing nonetheless. This book is a series of amusing anecdotes set throughout the year, detailing the experiences of Sam, minister of a Quaker church in Harmony, Indiana. I enjoy books that make me laugh out loud, and this one did.

I think its biggest flaw, maybe its only flaw, was taking itself too seriously. Most novels have some central conflict that builds up until the climax, but this book, a series of funny v
Dan Smith
Aug 09, 2014 Dan Smith rated it it was amazing
Amazing work by Phillip Gulley to capture the antics of the small town members of a Quaker congregation.. I enjoy reading these stories of how the preacher always seems to bring out the best of everyone else, even when he is designated as the bad guy..

Love the stories.
Leanne
Nov 08, 2014 Leanne rated it it was amazing
Absolutely hilarious. Laughed out loud so hard I cried, garnering strange looks from my fellow beach loungers. Also a good reminder to look at people who drive us crazy in a different light.
Annette
Aug 29, 2012 Annette rated it it was ok
Read approx. 1/2 of this book over the last couple of days, and I will Probably finish it because it's there.
I read the first in the series 18 months ago, and searching for a quick read, picked this one at random from the stack without bothering to determine it was #5. It doesn't matter: they're all a series of loosely connected anecdotes, and I am sure that you could pick up any one and probably open in the middle to boot without feeling like you'd missed much.
That said, like the first book,
Crystal
Jan 29, 2014 Crystal rated it it was amazing
I laugh at Dale Hinshaw and the rest of the "troublesome trio" as they make an "elaborate show of placing plugs in their ears" when battle-weary pastor Sam rises to preach. I think, "I know someone like Dale!" You know him too, the annoying legalistic ever "requiring the fires of division be regularly stoked.
Indeed, this book is more than just a fun read. You'll finish a better person, if you will let it work it's magic. You'll be "stretched," never to return to your "original size" and not eve
Shelly Ann
Jul 24, 2015 Shelly Ann rated it it was amazing
I love Philip Gulley books! This was so wonderful.
This is written as the Pastor narrating the book. I love
it how its so down to earth to read. He writes it as
typical as he could have. The story is great, showing
how we as Christians can live in an imperfect world
and an imperfect church. The church members life's
resided around the church, work, home, and community.
Trying to help each other. This Pastor was a good one,
the members of his church, he took care of them, at home
and in the community. Ye
Angela Bycroft
Jan 18, 2016 Angela Bycroft rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This the fifth title of the much loved Harmony series is another delightful collection of small town anecdotes which transport the reader into a land of yesteryear. A town where larger than life characters (sometimes caricatures) populate the quaintest of locations and generally live what most of us would call a idilic ilife But scratch just below the surface and the dear folks of Harmony have just as many issues and hangups as the rest of us.

Quaker Minister Sam has more than most sitting in hi
Le
May 13, 2016 Le marked it as to-read
I love this author! Philip Gulley writes with poignancy and wisdom and a perfect sense of tongue-in-cheek humor. Many times I laughed straight out loud as I became acquainted with the wonderful characters in this series about a Quaker pastor and his "flock" in the village of Harmony. Growing up in a small town, I understood and delighted in all the nuances of small-town living. I now own every book Mr. Gulley has written and I've enjoyed them all so much, I can't pick a favorite.
Elaine
Oct 26, 2009 Elaine rated it it was ok
In this Harmony book, Dale and Fern and some of the others want Sam ousted. The newly voted-in Sausage Queen is a vegetarian and folks are not happy about that. Deena has a new flame. Dale's wife Dolores has had enough of Dale and his ways. He's just given away most of the money they had been saving for an anniversary trip. She takes off and Dale is hurting. When Sam steps in to help him, Dale starts making demands of him. It doesn't take long for Sam to get an idea of what it's been like for Do ...more
Beth
Feb 14, 2016 Beth rated it liked it
Light easy reading about the residence of Harmony and their pastor
Margie Shelton
Jun 09, 2015 Margie Shelton rated it it was amazing
Love this series. Feels good.
Tessa Palmeri
Sep 11, 2015 Tessa Palmeri rated it it was amazing
Love this series.
Pelican Rapids
Mar 06, 2015 Pelican Rapids rated it liked it
Shelves: cpb
Some parts humorous and some parts gossip
Patty
Feb 20, 2008 Patty rated it really liked it
Book 4 in the Harmony series. Sam Gardner, in his 4th year as a Quaker Minister, is faced with the controvery involving one of the most prominent citizens of Harmony. Another townsperson believes she has met her future husband while another considers leaving her know-it-all husband. A story filled with life lessons that we can all relate to.
Thing Two
Dec 15, 2014 Thing Two rated it liked it
Recommended to Thing Two by: Loren Roby
I want to say this is a cross between Father Tim from Jan Karon's Mitford series and listening to Garrison Keillor tell one of his Lake Wobegon stories, but flipping the book over I noticed Publishers Weekly already said it. So, I'll just say it's cute.
M
Sep 29, 2008 M rated it it was ok
Author has sense of humor - creates interesting characters, but didn't enjoy the book much until the last few chapters. The first chapters were disjointed and there was no continuing story, so hard to keep my attention.
Rosanne
Sep 24, 2012 Rosanne added it
Shelves: gentle-reads
I keep reading these books. The parts that I love keep me reading. Other parts make me wonder why I keep reading, yet I keep reading. I am not sure if I will finish reading the series.
Nancy Welsh
May 12, 2013 Nancy Welsh rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading of Philip Gulley's description of being a minister in a small mid-west town. It brought back memories of growing up in the mid'west and brought many smiles to my face.
Julie
Sep 03, 2009 Julie rated it liked it
Some of Philip Gulley's unitarian ideas become more apparent in this book which don't exactly bother me but may some Christians. I still enjoy the humor and the characters.
Nikki
Dec 24, 2012 Nikki rated it really liked it
It's always a joy to visit with the community of Harmony! Proof that all communities take a mix of all kinds. And, that you can find a way to love....most of them.
Tammy
Sep 12, 2012 Tammy rated it liked it
This is a book where there are passages when you just have to grab your spouse and say -"let me read you this part" Some great life perspectives and great humor.
Book Concierge
Feb 26, 2016 Book Concierge rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this series. Gulley writes with such humor and tenderness about these residents of a small town in Indiana, whom we have come to love.
MnMs
Oct 19, 2009 MnMs rated it liked it
Similar to the Midford series..
A quaker minister has many trials
with the people in a little town
that give joy as well as struggles.
Kim
Jul 04, 2010 Kim rated it liked it
I liked this one the least out of the Harmony books I've read...it was a little depressing for me for some reason...but not too bad.
Judith
Jul 22, 2009 Judith rated it liked it
The theology leaves a lot to be desired, but for a gentle book of small town life to pass the time on jet lag, this is a good one!
Lanette
Sep 26, 2008 Lanette rated it liked it
I'm still thinking this series is getting stale, but I'm this far in so I'll continue on. They are very quick reads, afterall.
Joyce
Mar 02, 2014 Joyce rated it it was amazing
I love all the quirky characters in the Harmony series books. I have loved all the ones I have read so far.
Karin
Mar 10, 2013 Karin rated it it was amazing
Loved it! It was a day brightener. I need to read the others in the series. Definitely looking forward to it!
Jan
Dec 30, 2011 Jan added it
Great read. Many laughs and thought provoking too. Sent this to many as my gift this holiday season.
Vania
Apr 15, 2010 Vania rated it it was amazing
Another instalment of the Harmony series. I've really enjoyed the characters and the small town setting.
  • Velma Still Cooks in Leeway
  • Dandelions in a Jelly Jar
  • Rebecca's Rose (Forever After in Apple Lake #2)
  • The Mitford Years Boxed Set Volumes 1-3
  • A Miracle for St. Cecilia's
  • Romance on the River (Civil War Heroines, #.5)
  • Love Still Stands (New Hope Amish #1)
  • Balanced: Finding Center as a Work-at-Home Mom
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • Dearest Dorothy, Are We There Yet? (Dearest Dorothy, #1)
  • Miss Julia Strikes Back (Miss Julia, #8)
  • The Welcome Committee of Butternut Creek
  • The Church Ladies
  • The Random House Book of Ghost Stories
  • Katie's Dream (The Wortham Family, #3)
Philip Gulley has become the voice of small-town American life. Along with writing Front Porch Tales, Hometown Tales, and For Everything a Season, Gulley is the author of the Harmony series of novels, as well as If Grace Is True and If God Is Love, which are coauthored with James Mulholland.

He hosts "Porch Talk with Phil Gulley" on the Indiana PBS affiliate WFYI television's flagship show Across I
More about Philip Gulley...

Harmony (6 books)
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony, #1)
  • Just Shy of Harmony (Harmony, #2)
  • Signs and Wonders (Harmony, #3)
  • A Change of Heart (Harmony, #5)
  • Almost Friends (Harmony, #6)