Start by marking “Living at the Edge of the World: How I Survived in the Tunnels of Grand Central Station” as Want to Read:

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A searing, true story right out of 1980s New York City: During the height of the crack cocaine epidemic, with AIDS and homelessness raging out of control, a young woman survives four years living in the tunnels of Grand Central Station.
Sixteen year old Tina S. leaves behind her dysfunctional family to join her new friend, April, a wild and charismatic teenage runaway, liv
Published October 12th 2001 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published October 6th 2001)

Win a Copy of This Book

• Living at the Edge of the World by Tina S.
    Living at the Edge of the World: A Teenager's Survival in the Tunnels of Grand Central Station
    Release date: Oct 01, 2001
    Enter for a chance to win one of ten signed copies of Living at the Edge of the World, the true story of Tina S., a sixteen year old runaway who spent…more

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 380 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Sep 11 - Oct 11, 2015

Countries available: US

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Living at the Edge of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living at the Edge of the World

Apr 13, 2008 Cynthia rated it 5 of 5 stars
    Recommends it for: Judy
    Recommended to Cynthia by: the library
    This book is incredible! It is the story of one woman's journey down to the depths of drug addiction, homelessness and poverty, living as a teenager in the tunnels of Grand Central Station, through rehab and ultimately after a ten-year struggle, to making a life for herself and a way in the world as a more whole person. As far as I can tell, Tina S. is probably about my age (40) and we have led such radically different lives, largely because I had a supportive, stable homelife with two parents, ...more
    Amazing book. A must read!
    This is the story of teen-aged Tina S. and how she found herself, like so many others, homeless and drug-addicted on the streets of New York City during the crack epidemic years of the late 1980's and early 1990's. It is a story of how she survived on and beneath the streets and of the people she called her friends. And it is also the story of how she, with the help of a few individuals who took an interest in saving her from self destruction, managed to escape the streets and eventually began t ...more
    I read this before and while I accompanied my youth group on an inner-city mission trip. So much of what Tina S. related in this book was reinforced by the speaker from the Cincinnati Coalition for the Homeless who came to our community house one evening. Homeless people do not want to feel that they are invisible (who does?). But most of us don't even notice them and just walk past, not really looking at them or speaking to them. Even if we do give them some money or food, we do not address the ...more
    What can I say about this book? This was kind of a gem that I happened to run into. Saying that I enjoyed this book would be a little cruel; some stories are not made to be read with comfort.

Living at the Edge of the World is a story about how life can turn your world upside down. It's inevitable not to feel pain; when every step you take allows for mistakes and lessons to be learned. I myself have gone through a lot of hardship in my life, and I hope that I have learned from the adventures I ha
    I would have rated it higher if the non-linear storytelling were easier to figure out. Otherwise, a compelling narrative into drug addiction and homelessness.
    Natalie Pietro
    This book was so moving. Its a true story about a young girl who's homeless trying to survive in the tunnels of grand central station. Its so sad what she goes thought. Bugs, creepy men, drugs, friends. Its so hard to read yet at the same time you just can't put it down. I wish I still had this book. Let my friend read it and never got it back. Damn the book I would really love to read again. Guess its time to buy a new one.
    I didn't think I'd like it when I first picked it up. I probably wouldn't have picked it up on my own either. But it was surprisingly good. There were times that I had to stop and think, "This is non-fiction?" It's an amazing tale of how someone hit rock bottom and got back up from it, more than once actually. It's a taste of reality that shows even those that are young have stories of strength that are worth being told.
    It's been awhile since I've read this one, but it was a true story about a girl who lived in the tunnels of Grand Central station in New York. She left home, because it wasn't a good environment, got involved in drugs and ended up in a community of homeless teens. It follows her through her path off of the streets. Good story, but lots of difficult situations. For older teens.
    Picked this one up off a display at the library. Some parts were surprisingly funny, but overall it was a sad story. People lead really sad lives. The girl in the book managed to get out, which was great. I'd like to read an update on how she's doing now.
    I really enjoyed this account by TIna S. It's brutally honest, but a really wonderful story that makes you root for her all the way. Gave me a real sense of what life was like in New York's Grand Central in the 80s.
    This is one of my all time favorite books and a keeper for me. Truly amazing story of a life I never dreamed of, much less one I gave a thought to. This book has opened my eyes to another world.
    Gritty, real, amazing.
    christina marked it as to-read
    James Patterson
    James Patterson marked it as to-read
    Tylene Scott
    Tylene Scott marked it as to-read
    Mack McDonnell
    Mack McDonnell marked it as to-read
    Oct 08, 2015
    Gabby marked it as to-read
    Debbi DuBose
    Debbi DuBose marked it as to-read
    Oct 08, 2015
    Rebecca marked it as to-read
    Brenda Hoffman
    Brenda Hoffman marked it as to-read
    Melissa B
    Melissa B marked it as to-read
    Oct 08, 2015
    Janet marked it as to-read
    Terrell Sanzone
    Terrell Sanzone marked it as to-read
    Robert Trombley
    Robert Trombley marked it as to-read
    Pam Mooney
    Pam Mooney marked it as to-read
    Oct 07, 2015
    Sarah marked it as to-read
    Oct 07, 2015
    Nisreen marked it as to-read
    Michael Shulman
    Michael Shulman marked it as to-read
    Oct 07, 2015
    • Seeing Ezra: A Mother's Story of Autism, Unconditional Love, and the Meaning of Normal
    • Crazy Town: Money. Marriage. Meth.
    • AC/DC, Revised & Updated: High-Voltage Rock 'n' Roll: The Ultimate Illustrated History
    • Mom's Marijuana: Life, Love, and Beating the Odds
    • The Russian Word for Snow: A True Story of Adoption
    • Skinema
    • Hannah: My True Story of Drugs, Cutting, and Mental Illness
    • Sorrow Mountain: The Journey of a Tibetan Warrior Nun
    • Iron Heart: The True Story of How I Came Back from the Dead
    • Dissecting Death: Secrets of a Medical Examiner
    • Killing Willis: From Diff'rent Strokes to the Mean Streets to the Life I Always Wanted
    • Winging It: A Memoir of Caring for a Vengeful Parrot Who's Determined to Kill Me
    • Father Knows Less Or: "Can I Cook My Sister?": One Dad's Quest to Answer His Son's Most Baffling Questions
    • But Now I See: My Journey from Blindness to Olympic Gold
    • Genius and Heroin: The Illustrated Catalogue of Creativity, Obsession, and Reckless Abandon Through the Ages
    • Mall