Start by marking “What Became of Jane Austen? And Other Questions” as Want to Read:
What Became of Jane Austen? And Other Questions

What Became of Jane Austen? And Other Questions

Published October 1st 1971 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt P (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about What Became of Jane Austen? And Other Questions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Became of Jane Austen? And Other Questions

Manny
I frequently annoy people by saying that I don't see the point of reading books in translation. I should say that it's really Kingsley Amis's fault. I came across one of his essays at an impressionable age (I think it's in this collection, though I'm not 100% sure), and his argument seemed quite irrefutable.

"Would you want to read a paraphrase of Hamlet?" asks Amis. "No? Then why do you want to read literature in translation?"

Do you know: up to that moment, I'd read quite a lot of stuff in tran
Edward Waverley
Nov 02, 2009 Edward Waverley rated it really liked it
If anyone on staff is interested, I'd be happy to submit a scan of the dust jacket of my copy. It's beautiful enough to be bothered about. It features six snapshots of a few of the figures Amis is concerned with in his essays, Jane Austen, Christopher Lee (the actor), Charles Dickens, DH Lawrence, Peter Cushing (the actor), and Ian Fleming.

If you compare this collection of lit crit and pop rumination to similar recent efforts by Updike, Hitchens, or even Amis' son Martin, you'll find it far more
Anna C
Jan 05, 2015 Anna C rated it did not like it
"What Became of Jane Austen" was actually the first book placed on my to-read shelf. I have been actively searching for this for almost two years. You see, when you boycott Amazon and shop exclusively at local used bookstores, it can be difficult to find a British essay collection that went out of print before my parents were born.

I wanted this book for three reasons. I was disappointed on all counts.

1. Amis's critique of Jane Austen-
Although he did allude to the famous bit about Austen spendin
Peter Dunn
May 11, 2016 Peter Dunn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Amis on everything from Jane Austen to religion. Yes it is often a bit of rant but what else would you expect in the potentially explosive combination of an opinionated Amis in the format of a newspaper column which itself has long pushed writers into strong opinions expressed at speed?

However these are erudite and entertaining rants, even if we can’t always agree with what he has to say. His opening shot at Jane Austen’s Mansfield Park is spot on in praising Austen as a writer while acc
Lisa
Apr 30, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
The first few essays were something of a let-down, and considering I was not at all pleased with Amis' 'Anti-Death League', I guess I was ready to condemn the rest of them. Then Amis started talking horror movies and I have to admit I started to enjoy what I was reading. I stand corrected as far as this book goes. Will I read more of his works? We shall see.
Nightocelot
Nightocelot rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
Jc
Apr 04, 2012 Jc rated it really liked it
Damn good set of essays.
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
May 22, 2011
Peter Tarrant
Peter Tarrant rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2013
Jesse K
Jesse K rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2015
Contrarywise
Contrarywise rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2011
Jim Dunedin
Jim Dunedin rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Kristjan Wager
Kristjan Wager rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2012
Melbourne Bitter
Melbourne Bitter rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Peter Tarrant
Peter Tarrant rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Ronnie McMahon
Ronnie McMahon rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2014
Boyd
Boyd rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2009
Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2015
E. Thomas
E. Thomas rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2010
Zen
Zen rated it liked it
May 26, 2014
Andrea Engle
Andrea Engle rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2014
Ryan White
Ryan White rated it really liked it
May 11, 2015
Joe Sampson
Joe Sampson rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2013
Lorraine
Lorraine rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2012
Allan
Allan rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2011
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2010
Pamela
Pamela added it
Oct 22, 2008
Andrea Carolina
Andrea Carolina marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2009
Kristina  UK
Kristina UK marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2009
Justin
Justin added it
Jun 26, 2009
Lobstergirl
Lobstergirl marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2010
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2010
Casey
Casey added it
Jul 31, 2010
Anya
Anya marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2011
Leir
Leir marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2011
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2012
Daniel Lomax
Daniel Lomax marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2012
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2012
Natalie Euzarraga
Natalie Euzarraga marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2012
Thea Klapwald
Thea Klapwald marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2012
Sharon Upchurch
Sharon Upchurch marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2012
Hal
Hal marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2013
David
David marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2013
Poppy
Poppy marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2013
Kris Tina
Kris Tina marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2013
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2013
Aviva Gabriel
Aviva Gabriel marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2013
Janne Mäkelä
Janne Mäkelä marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Sir Kingsley William Amis, CBE, was an English novelist, poet, critic, and teacher. He wrote more than twenty novels, three collections of poetry, short stories, radio and television scripts, and books of social and literary criticism. He fathered the English novelist Martin Amis.

Kingsley Amis was born in Clapham, Wandsworth, Couty of London (now South London), England, the son of William Robert A
More about Kingsley Amis...

“John D. MacDonald is by any standards a better writer than Saul Bellow, only MacDonald writes thrillers and Bellow is a human-heart chap, so guess who wears the top-grade laurels?” 0 likes