Start by marking “What Became of Jane Austen? And Other Questions” as Want to Read:
What Became of Jane Austen? And Other Questions

What Became of Jane Austen? And Other Questions

Published October 1st 1971 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt P (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about What Became of Jane Austen? And Other Questions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Became of Jane Austen? And Other Questions

Manny
I frequently annoy people by saying that I don't see the point of reading books in translation. I should say that it's really Kingsley Amis's fault. I came across one of his essays at an impressionable age (I think it's in this collection, though I'm not 100% sure), and his argument seemed quite irrefutable.

"Would you want to read a paraphrase of Hamlet?" asks Amis. "No? Then why do you want to read literature in translation?"

Do you know: up to that moment, I'd read quite a lot of stuff in tran
Edward Waverley
Nov 02, 2009 Edward Waverley rated it really liked it
If anyone on staff is interested, I'd be happy to submit a scan of the dust jacket of my copy. It's beautiful enough to be bothered about. It features six snapshots of a few of the figures Amis is concerned with in his essays, Jane Austen, Christopher Lee (the actor), Charles Dickens, DH Lawrence, Peter Cushing (the actor), and Ian Fleming.

If you compare this collection of lit crit and pop rumination to similar recent efforts by Updike, Hitchens, or even Amis' son Martin, you'll find it far more
Peter Dunn
May 11, 2016 Peter Dunn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Amis on everything from Jane Austen to religion. Yes it is often a bit of rant but what else would you expect in the potentially explosive combination of an opinionated Amis in the format of a newspaper column which itself has long pushed writers into strong opinions expressed at speed?

However these are erudite and entertaining rants, even if we can’t always agree with what he has to say. His opening shot at Jane Austen’s Mansfield Park is spot on in praising Austen as a writer while acc
Anna C
Jan 05, 2015 Anna C rated it did not like it
"What Became of Jane Austen" was actually the first book placed on my to-read shelf. I have been actively searching for this for almost two years. You see, when you boycott Amazon and shop exclusively at local used bookstores, it can be difficult to find a British essay collection that went out of print before my parents were born.

I wanted this book for three reasons. I was disappointed on all counts.

1. Amis's critique of Jane Austen-
Although he did allude to the famous bit about Austen spendin
Lisa
Apr 30, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
The first few essays were something of a let-down, and considering I was not at all pleased with Amis' 'Anti-Death League', I guess I was ready to condemn the rest of them. Then Amis started talking horror movies and I have to admit I started to enjoy what I was reading. I stand corrected as far as this book goes. Will I read more of his works? We shall see.
Jc
Apr 04, 2012 Jc rated it really liked it
Damn good set of essays.
Nightocelot
Nightocelot rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
Melbourne Bitter
Melbourne Bitter rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Elizabeth Hughes
Elizabeth Hughes marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Jim Dunedin
Jim Dunedin rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Maruti Sridhar
Maruti Sridhar marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Aditi
Aditi marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Muath Aziz
Muath Aziz marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Giosué
Giosué marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Adrian
Adrian added it
Oct 01, 2015
Mahreen Khan
Mahreen Khan marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Jesse K
Jesse K rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2015
Nathan Pratley
Nathan Pratley marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Anoushka
Anoushka marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Luís Blue Coltrane
Luís Blue Coltrane marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Derek
Derek marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Paakhi Srivastava
Paakhi Srivastava marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Ryan White
Ryan White rated it really liked it
May 11, 2015
Peter Tarrant
Peter Tarrant rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Sir Kingsley William Amis, CBE, was an English novelist, poet, critic, and teacher. He wrote more than twenty novels, three collections of poetry, short stories, radio and television scripts, and books of social and literary criticism. He fathered the English novelist Martin Amis.

Kingsley Amis was born in Clapham, Wandsworth, Couty of London (now South London), England, the son of William Robert A
More about Kingsley Amis...

“John D. MacDonald is by any standards a better writer than Saul Bellow, only MacDonald writes thrillers and Bellow is a human-heart chap, so guess who wears the top-grade laurels?” 0 likes