Start by marking “The Ultimate Guide to Video Game Writing and Design” as Want to Read:
The Ultimate Guide to Video Game Writing and Design

The Ultimate Guide to Video Game Writing and Design

• Authors are top game designers

• Aspiring game writers and designers must have this complete bible

There are other books about creating video games out there.
Sure, they cover the basics. But The Ultimate Guide to Video Game Writing and Design goes way beyond the basics. The authors, top game designers, focus on creating games that are an involving, emotional experience fo
Published January 8th 2008 by Lone Eagle (first published January 8th 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate Guide to Video Game Writing and Design

Amanda Farough
Oct 31, 2009 Amanda Farough rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design, geeky, writing
By far, one of the best books I've ever read on writing, let alone writing for games. The templates and action items are enough to keep any aspiring designer busy until they're ready to get started on the collaborative process.

I've read it twice. Cover to cover. Fantastic.
Lucas
Aug 01, 2014 Lucas rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. it gave a lot of food on game design, I am surprised how similar it is to create writing.
Michael
Mar 23, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: video-games
This book plainly and clearly explains what it takes to write for video games from a business perspective and the actual writing of the game. I found it very helpful.
Krzysztof
Sep 03, 2012 Krzysztof rated it liked it
This is a pretty useful and insightful book, but lets get one thing out of the way: there's nothing "Ultimate" about it. Taking just around 200 pages, the book focuses on Writing first and foremost, and for writers wanting to get into the video game industry this is clearly a good resource. But Design gets the short end of the stick, to a point where I think the entire guide would benefit from cutting out those parts and focusing on the authors' forte.

The best parts of the book concern the day-t
Chris Marcatili
Aug 14, 2015 Chris Marcatili rated it it was ok
This book should really be entitled 'Beginners' Guide to Writing for Games.' There were a lot of chapters explaining the absolute basics of characters and storytelling elements in games. The kind of stuff that anyone with enough passion for writing and/or gaming will probably know already.

By the end I still have no solid understanding of what game writers and designers actually do. This important information - what to do as a writer for games - is mostly glossed over, with way too much focus on
Anushka Aritri
Jul 12, 2014 Anushka Aritri rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction-read
Was a pretty solid read for me. As a newbie who was looking for a good comprehensive guide on Game Writing and Design - I got various my time's worth. The honest insight, the rich narrative full of game references, the very useful templates and milestones that the book covers, really is relevant to the aspiring game writer or design that is about to embark into the gaming industry.

The only thing - if I must be nitpicky at all about the reading experience - was that at times the writer went off
Janelle
May 06, 2010 Janelle rated it it was ok
I read the first 20 or 30 pages and found them reasonably engaging and informative. The book faced two problems in sustaining my interest, however. The first was that it read very much the same as a million other writing advice books. The second was simply that it is hard to find advice--no matter how good--interesting in the long term unless you are faced with a specific project or problem to which to apply it. At this point in time, I am not. I may return to this book in the future, hopeful wi ...more
Ryan Relyt
May 29, 2014 Ryan Relyt marked it as to-read
I'm very good with video games and I have a wide imagination so when I grow up I want to be a game designer. So recommend this book for people with great technology experiences, and a great imaginative mind. When I was a little younger I was always told you creative imagination of building or making is unable to do. This is what I say to that if you can think it then it's possible even if it's small like a model.
Adam Vine
May 29, 2014 Adam Vine rated it it was amazing
Ultimate intro guide to story writing for games. Should be in any upcoming story-teller's arsenal, though, along with the DC Comics guide, Alan Moore's book on writing for comics, and King's "On Writing".
Micah
May 24, 2012 Micah rated it liked it
This was a pretty good view of the process of creating a game -- from the game designer's perspective. Don't expect any code here.
Behnam Riahi
Nov 25, 2014 Behnam Riahi rated it liked it
Due to length, this review can only be found at http://behnamriahi.tumblr.com/post/10.... Thank your for your consideration.
Syntax787
Dec 15, 2015 Syntax787 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mine
I didn't have to read much. I was only assigned to read a few chapters. What I did read I did enjoy. It's a good insight to another genre that I am fairly new to.
John
John rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2012
Jenni Powell
Jenni Powell rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2017
Brian Smith
Brian Smith rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2015
February Four
February Four rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2011
Schinder
Schinder rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2010
Andrea Resmini
Andrea Resmini rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2014
Ryan
Ryan rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Christopher Totten
Christopher Totten rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2015
ThatCarlyGirl
ThatCarlyGirl rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2013
Gia Nguyen
Gia Nguyen rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2015
Seth
Seth rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2008
Miguel
Miguel rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
Tyler
Tyler rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2011
Adam
Adam rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Lu
Lu rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2017
Carissa Starr
Carissa Starr rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Haiko Eitzen
Haiko Eitzen rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2017
John Rolf
John Rolf rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
  • Game Engine Architecture
  • Drawing and Painting Fantasy Landscapes and Cityscapes
  • Classic Human Anatomy: The Artist's Guide to Form, Function, and Movement
  • Writing with Pictures: How to Write and Illustrate Children's Books
  • Drawing Basics and Video Game Art: Classic to Cutting-Edge Art Techniques for Winning Video Game Design
  • Game Coding Complete
  • Rules of Play: Game Design Fundamentals

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »