Start by marking “ChiRunning: A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-Free Running” as Want to Read:
ChiRunning: A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-Free Running

ChiRunning: A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-Free Running

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  5,462 Ratings  ·  425 Reviews
Join the hundreds of thousands of people who are now running without injury or pain using the ChiRunning method. This new edition is fully updated with fresh insights and innovative training techniques from one of the sport's leading voices. Danny Dreyer teaches us how to heal and prevent injuries and also to run faster, farther, and with much less effort at any age or ...more
Published March 30th 2004 by Fireside Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about ChiRunning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ChiRunning

trivialchemy
Aug 07, 2009 trivialchemy rated it really liked it
Shelves: fitness
I'm reading this as a counterpoint to Dr. Nicholas Romanov's Pose Method of Running.

---

Imagine that you have invented a device which has two functions:

1. It selectively weakens one part of the human anatomy.
2. Whatever part that the device weakens, it also allows to function in its weakened state.

For example, this might be a sort of earpiece that gradually causes you to go deaf; however, so long as you continue to wear the earpiece, you maintain your faculties of hearing.

Obviously, no one would
Robin Ripley
Jul 01, 2010 Robin Ripley rated it really liked it
Shelves: fitness
I have always said I am not a natural runner--although I still try to run. But in just two weeks I feel like I may actually be able to run long distances someday.

Two mistakes I was making I was able to correct right away--breathing properly (longer counts using my nose and not my mouth) and shortening my pace. I will continue to experiment with the "lean." It seems a little strange to me, but I will say that this morning's run seemed a bit of a breakthrough in that regard. I think I may get it
Jennifer (Baker) McMillin
I hate to give this book such a bad rating because I think Dreyer is on to something here with injury prevention and running technique tips. BUT...I just can't get over the constant sales pitch and bad scientific method. Also the book is very repetitive and I could do without the first couple chapters. Overall, good info...bad storyteller.
Saraelizabeth
Apr 17, 2012 Saraelizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book because I had hit a 3 mile wall with running. I would be out of breath and in pain at that point. Now I know I was using my muscles inefficiently, taking too big of strides, and had bad form. Ha ha.
This book has helped me a lot so far. I see it taking years to really implement everything. I do feel a greater ability to run farther and with less pain already. I like how Dreyer suggests running to "practice running" for the sake of being a better runner rather than to get fit, or
John
Nov 24, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
The book itself is good not great. However, the impact it has on my running is nothing short of a miracle. I consider myself an amateur runner. At 39, I thought it was time to fulfill my bucket list item; run a marathon. I was under-trained when I ran a half marathon in May 2012. I ended up injuring myself and suffered IT Band syndrome throughout the summer. During that time I read Born To Run and was intrigued to learn more about minimal or barefoot running style. That journey led me to Chi ...more
Rachel Smalter Hall
Sep 19, 2013 Rachel Smalter Hall rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports, non-fiction
As someone who started running moderately almost five years ago, I've been hungry for inspiration to take my training to the next level. Although I'm not that interested in running competitively or ultra-long distances, I'd been frustrated that my regular 5 - 10K runs still felt a little sluggish after all this time. I had a hunch that my self-taught form could could use a mega overhaul!

As I sought out titles on running--Bob Glover's The Runner's Handbook, Claire Kowalchik's The Complete Book of
Lauren
Jul 15, 2011 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite many shortcomings (including a ridiculous name), the information on running form and technique make it something special. I’ve been toying around with some of the suggestions for three weeks now, and I’ll fully admit the Dreyers hit on something important with this method. As a minimalist running convert, I’d even go so far as to say this book provided me with the missing piece I’ve needed to fully hit my stride. So two thumbs way up for the information, which I think would benefit the ...more
Glenn Burnside
Jul 10, 2011 Glenn Burnside rated it liked it
One of the people on my team at work loaned this to me because she knew I was trying to get back to running, and was struggling with a lot of tightness and soreness after my workouts. There's some good advice in this book, but it's interspersed with a LOT of success stories and bad scientific method. What I want from a guide like this is:
1)Why I'm telling you this stuff
2)What are the components to my program
3) Here is the program.

I think most of this book could have been boiled down to about 4 b
This book is not going to win any writing awards. Dreyer writes poorly, repeats himself, and has many poor metaphors and jokes. At times I found the book slightly painful to read, and had a hard time plowing through the chapters. Sometimes the book comes off as a commercial cult or pyramid scheme. He is constantly mentioning the website, his classes, other books, etc, etc.

But the information in the book is incredibly helpful. Dreyer gives advice on how to run with physical suggestions and metaph
Lauren
Sep 12, 2010 Lauren rated it really liked it
I will definitely be re-reading this one. In fact, in the first chapter (or maybe the introduction?) he advises the reader to read it all the way through first, then go back and consult it for instruction on applying the technique, the form focuses, and all of the other principles of ChiRunning. I like the method for its troubleshooting-type approach: right technique is a process, not an achievement, so whenever something isn't working, or whenever an injury or a problem surfaces, consult your ...more
Bryan
Aug 27, 2012 Bryan added it
A very informative book, one which you shouldn't just read from cover to cover and think "Wow, what awesome insights!" and then leave it in a bookshelf to collect dust. There is so much shared wisdom in here, so much to be learned and ingrained, that I feel it would do the novice or seasoned runner well to refer back to it once in a while.

In his friendly and conversant style, Danny Dreyer passes on sage advice to get the runner on track (no pun intended--although it might have a funny ring to it
Vinit Nayak
Jul 22, 2015 Vinit Nayak rated it really liked it
I suppose I didn't technically finish this book since the last bit is a running plan which lays out how you should be going about applying all of the lessons taught in the earlier chapters.

I kind of just added each lesson into my running plan, applying a new technique every week or two and then proceeding to the next one once it felt like second-nature.

And it worked! I started reading this book because I started having really bad "runner's knee" injuries to where I couldn't run at all anymore an
Paul
Oct 06, 2008 Paul rated it liked it
Shelves: running
This book presents a unique running philosophy with the purpose of conserving energy or "chi". The main points are to keep your body in column, lean forward from your ankles like a ski jumper, and to lift your feet and move them and your arms in a forward, circular "Wile E. Coyote/Road Runner" style. There is also some information on pacing and breathing. I've tried some of the techniques and have not felt comfortable with them, yet. There are several keys to remember and focus on during a run. ...more
Jane Lebak
Jul 03, 2015 Jane Lebak rated it really liked it
I did a read-through with a couple of runs while still reading. I haven't done any of the exercises, but I did try some of his techniques while running. The book is, to be honest, overwhelming in the sheer number of corrections, but I also think he's dead-on with his suggestions. I'm going to have to work a bit more with this and revisit parts of the book. Fortunately there are several Youtube videos I can check out, so I won't be paying for the DVD. ;-) Well worth a read and some experimental ...more
Chris
Jan 05, 2011 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: running
Have to come back to this one -- it was much more technical than I expected, so having it for a week from the library meant I could actually put it into real practice. I'm trying some of the techniques out (the lean, midfoot-striking), especially because I'm interested in bare-foot running and am trying to get more milage in on my Vibram Bilkas. I like what I tried, but would probably have to buy a copy to get any deeper.
Emlyn Lewis
Jan 07, 2015 Emlyn Lewis rated it liked it
Ideal book for beginner runners or medium/ Pro Runners with injury issues.
Been running intensely on & off for 20 years now without too much injury issues, so found the book mildly interesting. Most of the book states the obvious about running form, basically repeating don't run like a duck (for 50 pages).
However the mindful approach I found interesting as my mind either concentrates on music in my head phones or meditating at anything other than what is happening here & now in my body.
Kipahni
Feb 05, 2008 Kipahni rated it really liked it
"Make your work day a moving meditation"- a quote from the book.
This book has some amazing tips on how to run the most effective and enjoyable way. Since implementing the chi form of running I have been able to run longer distance and add more endurance. The only down side is that I wished it came with a DVD so that one could see the form in action.
Elizabeth
Feb 23, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I have always avoided running, but have wanted to figure out how I could 'run and not be weary'. When I realized that I was holding my breath it was like a light bulb went on "hey, maybe I can run!" I don't run far or fast, but I feel that because of the tips in this book I am learning to run and enjoy the experience.
Paul Westwood
Dec 04, 2015 Paul Westwood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
Another one I didn't review at the time of reading but I can say this running style made my half marathon time 11 minutes quicker so it definitely works.
Some of the early sections were a bit dull because I just wanted to learn how to run differently and I never finished the later chapters because I'd learnt what I wanted by then but maybe that's more my fault than the writer's.
Rebecca Rose
Dec 18, 2011 Rebecca Rose rated it really liked it
Love this book! I feel like it gave me a lot of good advice on how to turn running into something I "practice" and has really helped me come to love running. That is something I NEVER thought would happen. The only downside is I'm going to have to read the book 1000 times to get everything out of it.
Danny
Jun 09, 2016 Danny rated it liked it
Chi Running was a reminder to stop, listen to your breath, check in with your form, and run intentionally, not destructively, I actually listened to this via the audio book version and tried incorporating aspects of chi running in to my daily runs since.
Ben Wenzel
Jul 12, 2009 Ben Wenzel rated it really liked it
This book is a combination of eastern philosophy with biomechanics. All I can say is that this book has allowed me to be a 275lb man running nearly every day pain-free. I'm a fan of chi running.
David Krohse
Mar 15, 2016 David Krohse rated it really liked it
This book instantly got rid of terrible shin splints, and turned me into a runner. It's not especially well written in my memory of it but the information was priceless for me.
Jared
Feb 03, 2013 Jared rated it it was amazing
Learn to love running!!
Kim
Dec 04, 2016 Kim rated it really liked it
I am glad I found this book, as I have started running again. My main concern is preventing injury as my previous running injury stopped me from running for almost a year. I really like this audiobook ~~ you can also get this in book and DVD format. Danny Dreyer takes you through various practice runs, stretches, breathing exercises, etc. to learn how to run mindfully. When you run and pay attention to your breathing, footing, posture, and cadence, you can run more efficiently and without ...more
Sanjay
Dec 06, 2016 Sanjay rated it it was amazing
Fantastic and revolutionary. I had given up on my running hopes and this has not just got me back in but I can run twice as much as before without pain
Steve
Nov 28, 2016 Steve rated it it was amazing
Loved it, as PE teacher we didn't learn anything about running, I wish I knew this stuff years ago.
Will Marshall
Chi Running bills itself as a revolutionary approach to effortless, injury-free running. In this pursuit, I agree that Chi Running is an effective technique that can be used for anyone from the beginner to intermediate runner to decrease injury while also increasing efficiency. While Chi Running also promises to give competitive runners the edge they seek, I think this is only true up to a certain point. The winner of the next Western States or Olympic Marathon is unlikely to use the authors ...more
Loy Machedo
Aug 14, 2012 Loy Machedo rated it it was amazing
Loy Machedo’s Book Review – Chi Running Danny Dreyer

My foray into the world of sports & fitness began with the fateful yet accidental meeting of my School Fitness Coach in a garden one early morning. How I bumped into him – well I was ‘trying’ to jog behind a group of girls whom I identified as girls from my school and Volia! What do you know!!!. (I know...I always got myself into situations like these.)

From that meeting on, he introduced me to a world of running and that lead me to one of t
Kerry
Oct 10, 2016 Kerry rated it liked it
Shelves: health
Meh, I just couldn't get into this book. I've recently returned to running after a long absence. I think the posture advice is good but the technique isn't natural to me.
Are you a runner? 2 34 Jan 22, 2014 06:55AM
  • Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster: Become a Faster, Stronger Runner with the Revolutionary FIRST Training Program
  • Brain Training For Runners: A Revolutionary New Training System to Improve Endurance, Speed, Health, and Results
  • The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer
  • Running for Mortals: A Commonsense Plan for Changing Your Life With Running
  • Pose Method of Running
  • Lore of Running
  • The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life: What 35 Years of Running Have Taught Me About Winning, Losing, Happiness, Humility, and the Human Heart
  • Galloway's Book on Running
  • Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running: The Best Advice to Get Started, Stay Motivated, Lose Weight, Run Injury-Free, Be Safe, and Train for Any Distance
  • A Race Like No Other: 26.2 Miles Through the Streets of New York
  • The Complete Book of Running For Women
  • Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach
  • 50/50: Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 Days -- And How You Too Can Achieve Super Endurance!
  • Mile Markers: The 26.2 Most Important Reasons Why Women Run
  • Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes
  • Why We Run: A Natural History
  • The Triathlete's Training Bible
  • Marathon Woman: Running the Race to Revolutionize Women's Sports

“If you’re short of breath, it’s not because you aren’t breathing in enough—it’s because you’re not breathing out enough.” 0 likes
“does not hurt your body. It’s the way you run that does the damage and causes pain.” 0 likes