Start by marking “Nevermore” as Want to Read:
Nevermore

Nevermore (Edgar Allan Poe Mystery #1)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  367 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Praised by Caleb Carr for his "brilliantly detailed and above all riveting" true-crime writing, Harold Schechter brings his expertise to a marvelous work of fiction. Superbly rendering the 1830s Baltimore of Edgar Allan Poe, Schechter taps into the dark genius of that legendary author -- and follows a labyrinthine path into the heart of a most heinous crime."Nevermore"

A li
Published January 1st 2000 by Pocket Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Nevermore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nevermore

Aaron Miller
A wonderfully unique detective story with Edgar Allan Poe and Davy Crockett as the protagonists. Schechter writes the story from the perspective of Poe. The combination of Poe's writing style with the odd coupling of characters makes the tale funny and intriguing. This is one of the more memorable books I've ever read.
Americanogig
May 15, 2010 Americanogig marked it as abandoned-forever  ·  review of another edition
If I read (or start to read) one more bad historical fiction concerning Poe I am going to brick MYSELF up in a room until my death.
Laura Morrigan
What if Poe's famous Gothic stories were based not on imagination but reality?

This book takes the idea that Poe was involved in the investigation of hideous murders in Baltimore in his youth, murders that seemed to be related to his family. While unravelling the dark thread of these horrific murders, Poe eventually finds the inspiration that leads to some of his most famous works.

Fans of Poe will enjoy matching the murders to similar events in his stories, such as The House of Usher and The Masq
Mary
This was an unusual book to say the least - Edgar Allen Poe and Davy Crockett in the same story. The story is written in Poe style which requires a reader to pay attention. I guess if I am going to read that type of book - I will read Poe not a combination.

I do think the author did an excellent job of creating this take on a Poe piece but it was a bit much for me. Not going to read Hum Bug.
Landon
I enjoyed this book as far as I got. Then I just kinda fizzeled out. No real reason, the charecters are fun. It fun to get to spend time with historical figures in a new way and I think the books style works well for it's intent.

I'll have to revisit it at some point
Larry
Great fun...... but possibly only for those who like Poe and his works.
Desiree
So-so. Savage. Ending was rather predictable.
John
It's 1834 and the rambunctious frontiersman Davy Crockett, visiting Baltimore as part of a national tour to promote his autobiography, calls on the tyro writer Edgar Allan Poe to ask him in no uncertain terms why he gave the book such a rotten review. Any fisticuffs are precluded by the discovery nearby of a horrible murder -- a body so powerfully mangled that the killer seems to have possessed the strength of, say, a giant ape rather than a man . . . And so the two are plunged into adventures a ...more
Lisa Swope
What if all of Poe's short stories and poems were based on actual experiences? If he were called in as a civilian consultant in a serial killer case where N-E-_-E-_-_-O-R-_ was written on the wall in blood, what could the cipher mean?

And what if he had given a poor review to Davy Crockett's newly published memoir and the frontiersman wanted him to take it back, and then the two got involved in crimesolving (and trying to escape from bizarre situations, enraged thugs, and a serial killer) togethe
Karyl
I found this book to be quite a clever take on Poe's own novels. Schechter, of whom I've only read one of his non-fiction works, somehow manages to make Poe's voice, as high-flown and verbose as he is in his novels, interesting and readable. Initially I was a little bit off by his language, but as I continued to read, I began to be accustomed to the language, and it seemed to flow quite well. Davy Crockett's overly folksy speech tends to grate after a while, but it's a nice contrast to Poe.

I wo
Dominc Bender
A good book for those who are interested in Edgar Allan Poe. It takes place around the time prior to his marriage to his cousin Virginia. The situation and story are based around the mysterious happenings connected to a theatrical play that had involved his mother and members of the play Nevermore. The members of the cast of Nevermore are systematically hunted by a mysterious assailant who leaves little left and possesses a connection to Mr. Poe. Davie Crockett makes his appearance early on in ...more
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
I was all excited when I found this book at the library.
But then as I come to and end with it. I find it is rather lacing in a lot of ways.
Really a bummer!! :(
Heather
I really enjoyed this book. It is written in the same style as Poe's works. It actually seems like you're reading a story about Poe, written by himself. The book is about Edgar Alllan Poe and Davy Crockett teaming up together to solve crimes that supposedly later inspire many of Poe's short stories. Having Crockett as Poe's crime solving buddy is totally ridiculous and at times I had to put the book down and shake my head, but it also made the book funny when most of the time it's very grim. Rec ...more
Gori Suture
This book is written from Poe's POV, in Poe's language. It's a fun adventure set around murder more than a "who done it" mystery. You're just along for the ride, and what a ride it is! Crockett is the perfect counterpart to Poe's stuffiness, and he is portrayed exactly like the legend of him, an over the top, never say die, American hero. I tried to read this book before, and just couldn't get into it, but this time around, I guess I was in the right state of mind to enjoy it, because I couldn't ...more
Kate
I wasn't a Poe fan until I read this. He was so wonderfully portrayed in this book: so awkward and fussy, a very atypical hero. Davy Crockett was also wonderful. I loved their brotherly banter.
The mystery was not as memorable as the characters, but I liked the personal connection of it to Poe's life. It got me curious about Elizabeth Poe and what her life might have been like. Poe's theatrical heritage comes through in his mannerisms.
Kristen
So I am not sure what I think of this book. It had a really fun premise but I am not sure I liked its execution very well. I think the author's use of Poe's overblown language was a little cumbersome but, oddly, it still worked. I think I would actually read more in this series, even though I am not entirely sure I liked it, and it took me an inordinate length of time to read even though it was a short book.
Kmkoppy
This was a fun book - I liked the conversation variations between Edgar and Davy. It wasn't as good a mystery book as it was a comical book.
David
Putting this one on my GAVE UP ON shelf.. and I don't give up on many. The writing was just at attempt at trying to be too period, too clever, and Davy Crockett is presented as a total moron.. After 100 pages I just felt it wasn't worth my time since I could be reading something more fun and with a pace a bit faster than that of a dieseased snail on its last trail of slime.
Lisa
This may have been praised by Caleb Carr, but it's not as good as Carr's stuff. It's moderately entertaining, but I found the mysterious raven, the fall of the house of Asher, the something buried under the floorboards, the rapping on his chamber door, and so on to be a bit much. I get the premise, but still...
I figured out the ending long before it ended.
Tim Giron
I have read most of the author's true crime works, so being a fan of Edgar Allen Poe and historical fiction, I picked this up at the library a few weeks ago. Great references to Poe's stories and fun characterizations of both Poe and Davy Crockett. Liked it so much that I am going straight into reading the second in the series.
Sandra
I loved this book. I read it after reading the jacket to see if it were true - that someone put Poe and Crockett together.
It worked for me. I loved the venacular and the style of both characters and I've read it twice. I'll probably read it again, one cold windy winter's day and night in Northern Indiana.
Jeannie
I loved the ending! So nostalgic. The way Schechter breathes new life into two seemingly unrelated men who were connected only by the time they lived and a review written by Poe is ingenious. His use of unfamiliar vocabulary made me grab a dictionary a couple of times, but that's a good thing.
Lenore
I'd call this a tour de force on Poe's classic style of suspense writing. It's an amusing depiction of Edgar Alan Poe in a strange and funny partnership with Davy Crocket (!?!) Fans of Poe will enjoy all the subtle and not so subtle allusions to his work. As a mystery it's pretty good too.
Tim whitlow
interesting, and funny book about poe and davy crockett. I enjoyed the language, how both of them were almost unintelligible in their own way. It was fun book disregarding the subject matter and i enjoyed it.
Dean
This was an Okay book,a good fun romp for the Poe fan,but not for any serious reading.
Kind of like "Edgar allen Poe" meets the writers of the show "The wild wild west."
Still..it's fun for a plane trip.
Kione
11/25
Just started.

11/30
ok. So sorry but, this book is a piece of CRAP!!!
What a freakin' waste of time.
SO horrible.
After 7 chapters, I'm through with this book.
I really CANNOT continue.
Phillip
The title says "Edgar Allan Poe Mystery #1." Where are the rest?
Update-Just started this novel tonight. Thirteen pages in and I am loving it!
Jennyc
I thought the prose was very over the top, but I really liked the way Poe was characterized. A pretty good mystery.
Matthew
I was taken in more by the language used than the mystery presented.
  • The Lighthouse at the End of the World
  • Fullmetal Alchemist Box Set
  • Mayhem (Mayhem, #1)
  • The Final Curtain (GloomCookie, #5)
  • The Witch Of Clatteringshaws
  • Great Ghost Stories (Thrift Editions)
  • The Fall of the Templar (Grey Griffins, #3)
  • Gaslight Arcanum: Uncanny Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Dark Water: The Strange Beginnings of Sherlock Holmes
  • Flood and Fang (The Raven Mysteries, #1)
  • Personal Demons (Hopeless, Maine, #1)
  • Dragon Ball Z: Cell, Stealthily Approaching, Vol. 15 (Dragon Ball Z, #15)
  • The Pale Blue Eye
  • The Serpent Slayer
  • The Dark-Hunters, Vol. 3 (Dark-Hunter Manga, #3)
  • Newton's Fire
  • The Six Messiahs (The List of Seven, #2)
Aka Jon A. Harrald (joint pseudonym with Jonna Gormley Semeiks)

Harold Schechter is a professor of American Literature and culture at Queens College, the City University of New York. Among his nonfiction works are the historical true-crime classics Fatal, Fiend,Deviant, Deranged, and Depraved. He also authors a critically acclaimed mystery series featuring Edgar Allan Poe, which includes The Hum Bu
More about Harold Schechter...
Deviant: The Shocking True Story of Ed Gein, the Original "Psycho" The Serial Killer Files: The Who, What, Where, How, and Why of the World's Most Terrifying Murderers Deranged The A to Z Encyclopedia of Serial Killers Depraved: The Definitive True Story of H.H. Holmes, Whose Grotesque Crimes Shattered Turn-Of-The-Century Chicago