The Promise

The Promise (Devoncroix Dynasty #2)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  382 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Librarian's Note: This book uses the same ISBN numbers as another edition, however the publishing date and cover image are different.

# ISBN-10: 0380790963
# ISBN-13: 978-0380790968

A scintillating sequel to The Passion, Donna Boyd continues to weave the erotic and deeply intriguing tale of the Devoncroix dynasty.

In Boyd's 1990s modern world, werewolves have lived peacefully

Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published October 1st 2000 by HarperTorch (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Promise

Tammy Walton Grant
Ok, so after reading this one, I have six words for y'all:

Holy shit, this series is good.

If you like intricate world building, reinventing human history so that werewolves have been in our midst since the beginning, suspense, drama, angst, angst, angst and a doomed love story, look no further.

Boyd's style of telling this story is much the same as The Passion. For those who haven't seen my review of that book, it means that that I got drawn in immediately, then skimmed for a bit, then got a bit u...more
Galla
As Nicholas Devoncroix succeeds his father Alexander as pack leader, he faces a decision about the werewolves' "human policy" that could radically change the future of the pack. Interwoven with his story is the history of the older brother and adopted sister he never knew, Matise and Brianna Devoncroix, whose story is told through a volume of Matise's journals.

It's an interesting tale, but I never developed much affection for the primary characters. There's a haughty remoteness to Matise's narr...more
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
I read this book when it first came out. I enjoyed this werewolf story since it was one of the first of its kind. The secret society of werewolves felt like a conspiracy theory. This story pulled me in as one of the earlier paranormal romances.
LMM
A solid continuation of The Passion & I really recommend to anyone who has a thing for werewolves, loves the saga of The Witching Hour or The Vampire Chronicles. The prose really has that vibe without becoming redundant, purple or overly indulgent.

I enjoyed both novels & felt they flowed really well from one to the other. I just refrain from giving this installment a full 5 stars for two main reasons; one I didn't find it as lushly written as the 1st novel. That book pretty much had me...more
Diane
A wonderful follow up to the first book 'The Passion'.
This book 'The Promise' is about the next generation of the Devoncroix family those born at the beginging of the 20th Century and how they live and come to terms with the legacy they have inherited from the parents.
Donna Boyd again shows the dangers of her world when humans and werewolves mix too closely together but also how both are so appealing to one another. She also offers more of the werewolves own history and how they became masters...more
Amy Mangus
Sequal to The Passion. Goes deeply into the royal family of Devoncroix... Couldn't put it down.
Juliette
I found this book a little more entertaining than the first book in the series. If you're thinking about reading this series, you may want to consider reading this one first. The main story seems to happen here while the first book is an off shoot.

I am a werewolf fan, so my opinion is definitely weighed in favor of this book. Where the first book is a love story between a human and a werewolf, this book is about the love child of that affair. The pain she goes through trying to find her place in...more
Robbin
I have to say I was really disappointed with this book. I'm always excited to start on a new book. There is always the rush and excitement you have right at the beginning and if it is really good you keep throughout reading the entire book. But I don't think you should read a book only to be overwhelmed with all of the sadness and death only to find there is only a couple of parts where the characters are actually happy in it. Then you don't even have a happy ending. Needless to say this book co...more
D
Cassie
This is actually book 2 in a series; I didn't know that when I read it, and to be honest, I don't think it took away from the story not know what happened in The Passion.

Definitely much deeper - more serious - than books I usually enjoy, but I did enjoy this one. I listened to the Book on CD and the reader was fantastic! His voice reminded me of James Earl Jones - very deep and foreboding.

Recommend to those who enjoy family sagas... well, werewolf families, that is.
Allen Garvin
Reasonably interesting werewolf novel--in this, werewolves are the secret elites who are responsible for almost all civilization of humanity, the hidden overlords who direct the governments of the world. These werewolves are intelligent, proud (or arrogant), beautiful, bound by tradition, somewhat amoral. It's a well-told story, with sharply drawn characters, but it doesn't have the heart, or, so to speak, the Passion, of Boyd's previous book.
Tiffany
I liked the first book ( The Passion ) better... however this book does give good closure to the end of the The Passion...but...The Promise leaves it wide open for a third book. I hope she writes a third.
Kathy Kingery
Real good, read second book first, was kinda cool reading the first book after that and knowing what was to happen with some of the characters. Would read again.
Courtney
I liked this one better than the first (The Passion). Boyd again woke the past in with the present to present the ramifications of everyone's actions.
Susan
A sequel to Donna Boyd's novel about a family of werewolves, called The Passion. Pretty good, but not quite as entrancing as the first book.
Angela Bracelin
Honestly the passion was a much better book, this one had a hard time keeping my attention and i just couldn't wait for it to be over.
Abbie
The only bad thing about this book is that there isn't another one in the series. Definitely better than The Passion.
Lady Claire, Marchioness of Fancy Pants
The sequel to The Passion is wonderful continuation of the story Boyd began to tell in the first book.
Andrea
Sequel to The Passion. Loved it. Loved the historical fiction. I wish she would write number 3.
K
PAGE TURNER. This is the sequel and it is AWESOME.
Amber Polo
Loved this almost as much as The Passion.
Ginny Littlefield
starts out slow but picks up about chapter 6
Carrie
Great sequel-wish there was a third...
Wendy
Nice wrap up of the previous book.
Rose
May 11, 2010 Rose rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: love story/werewolf
Part 2 of The passion
Danae Stewart
Danae Stewart marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
  • Moon Dance
  • Dark Hunger (Demonborn #2)
  • The Untamed One (Wild Wulfs of London, #2)
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
  • Heroes
  • Moonburn (Abra Barrow #2)
  • The Wolf King (Legends of the Wolf #3)
  • Lakebridge: Spring
  • One Foot in the Grave (The Halflife Chronicles, #1)
  • High Moor
  • Dark Fae (Celtic Legacy, #3)
  • Bride of the Fat White Vampire (Fat White Vampire, #2)
  • The Dawning of Power (World of Godsland #1-3) (The Dawning of Power #1-3)
  • Embers (The Guild of the Cowry Catchers, #1)
  • Mercenaries
aka Donna Ball, Rebecca Flanders, Donna Carlisle
With Shannon Harper as Leigh Bristol, Taylor Brady

Donna A. Ball born in 1951 in Georgia, USA. Her ancestors were one of the first pioneer families of North Georgia, and her family still lives on the land they purchased from the Cherokee in 1782.

Her first book was published in 1982 as Donna Ball, since them she has written over a dozen works of commer...more
More about Donna Boyd...
The Passion (Devoncroix Dynasty, #1) The Alchemist The Awakening Renegade (Devoncroix Dynasty, #3) Evolve Reach Admission Assessment Exam Review