Start by marking “Artists' Journals and Sketchbooks: Exploring and Creating Personal Pages” as Want to Read:
Artists' Journals and Sketchbooks: Exploring and Creating Personal Pages

Artists' Journals and Sketchbooks: Exploring and Creating Personal Pages

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  2,640 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Creative souls want and need a special place for recording and decoding their interior world—a place to download all their creative ideas, a place to remember the events of the day, or a place to doodle, to draw, and to dream. This book is for all these people—it's an engaging and intimate glimpse into the personal pages of a wide variety of select artists and journal keep ...more
Published March 1st 2004 by Quarry Books

To ask other readers questions about Artists' Journals and Sketchbooks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Artists' Journals and Sketchbooks

Darby
Jan 27, 2009 Darby rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: artists
"Indulge your artistic intuition as you plan and create vivid and revealing visual diaries and sketchbooks." That is from the back of the book and I think it really is a good summary for the book.

I did like this book but I liked it more for the images then the actual written words. This book gives some tips and techniques but in a much different way then Collage Discovery. Collage Discovery gave step by step clear instructions on good techniques. Artist' Journals & Sketchbooks gives more a g
Autumn
Nov 03, 2012 Autumn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
A beautiful full-colour book with lots of photos and ideas for journalling. I'm sticking with 3 stars because, although pretty and interesting to look at, many of the ideas require expensive materials or art experience. I like to tend toward dollar store materials and inexpensive, household items.

If you are looking to create a journal as a gift for someone else, this book would be a great starting point as there is a whole chapter on making your own from unique materials (ie cloth, metal, etc).
Recynd
I actually like this book alot; however, it's more for inspiration than an instruction manual. I love Lynne Perrella's art, and I can spend hours looking at this book. Truly, I seem to keep returning to this one, and I wouldn't part with it.
Kiersten
I can't stop going back to this for more creative ideas!
Jamie
Nov 15, 2014 Jamie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
A nice combination of full-color examples from various artists' books with related techniques and themes to try.
Susan
This was an excellent book for a beginner. There are numerous new products on the market today that are not included in this edition.
Barbara Robbins
I found this book to be somewhat lacking, maybe because I bought 1000 Artist Journals Pages first. For the money and views of various artist I found the other book a better fit for me.....
Catherine
In this case, you can tell a book by it's cover.

Lots of inspiration and information, very colorful with lots of ideas and practical tips, this is one of the better books on journals and mixed-media that I've read.
Robin
Oct 13, 2008 Robin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who like to make things
Recommended to Robin by: read about it online
Saw this in a crafting magazine's e-newsletter and it's really good to inspire artwork and journal creation. Definitely work taking a look at even though many of its ideas are too challenging for me.
Verna
I loved this book! There is plenty of inspiration and examples; everytime I looked through the book I would find something new. A great book to keep for reference!
Jeanne
Want to buy this one. Numerous examples that inspire you to want to do it yourself. Also lots of details of how to do it yourself.
Karen
Great book art ideas! Somehow I ended up with 2 copies so if someone wants this I can trade for another book on book arts.
Kaye Dewar
Lynne perrela is always a go to for inspirations in painting and collage mediums. Excellent resource!
Bonnie Jeanne
Artists' Journals and Sketchbooks: Exploring and Creating Personal Pages by Lynne Perrella (2004)
Arty
May 06, 2007 Arty rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: artists
Lots of good concepts for use in altered books and collage art.
Kristen
Love Love Love this book. Why can't my art look this way????
Manintheboat
It looks like you made it with your feet.
linda
Oct 03, 2008 linda added it
excellent
The Magick School
The Magick School marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Niisa Morton
Niisa Morton marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Solomon Mathew
Solomon Mathew marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Alaa Ata
Alaa Ata marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
  • The Decorated Page: Journals, Scrapbooks & Albums Made Simply Beautiful
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • Collage Discovery Workshop: Make Your Own Collage Creations Using Vintage Photos, Found Objects and Ephemera
  • True Vision: Authentic Art Journaling
  • Kaleidoscope: Projects and Ideas to Spark Your Creativity
  • 1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations
  • Artist Trading Cards Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up and Create Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections
  • The Journal Junkies Workshop: Visual Ammunition for the Art Addict
  • Cover to Cover: Creative Techniques for Making Beautiful Books, Journals & Albums
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings
  • Drawing From Life: The Journal as Art
  • Living the Creative Life: Ideas and Inspiration from Working Artists
  • Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression
  • 1000 Journals Project
  • Spilling Open: The Art of Becoming Yourself
  • Drawing Lab for Mixed-Media Artists: 52 Creative Exercises to Make Drawing Fun
Alphabetica: An A-Z Creativity Guide for Collage and Book Artists Art Making, Collections, and Obsessions: An Intimate Exploration of the Mixed-Media Work and Collections of 35 Artists Art Making & Studio Spaces: Unleash Your Inner Artist: An Intimate Look at 31 Creative Work Spaces Beyond Paper Dolls: Expressive Paper Personas Crafted with Innovative Techniques and Art Mediums