Start by marking “Artists' Journals and Sketchbooks: Exploring and Creating Personal Pages” as Want to Read:
Artists' Journals and Sketchbooks: Exploring and Creating Personal Pages

Artists' Journals and Sketchbooks: Exploring and Creating Personal Pages

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,715 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Creative souls want and need a special place for recording and decoding their interior world—a place to download all their creative ideas, a place to remember the events of the day, or a place to doodle, to draw, and to dream. This book is for all these people—it's an engaging and intimate glimpse into the personal pages of a wide variety of select artists and journal keep ...more
Published March 1st 2004 by Quarry Books

To ask other readers questions about Artists' Journals and Sketchbooks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Artists' Journals and Sketchbooks

Journal to the Self by Kathleen AdamsThe New Diary by Tristine RainerLife's Companion by Christina BaldwinJournalution by Sandy GrasonWriting Down Your Soul by Janet Conner
best journal books
8th out of 23 books — 22 voters
Journal Spilling by Diana TroutZ by Therese Anne FowlerVisual Chronicles by Karen DininoArt Journals and Creative Healing by Sharon SoneffAltered Books Workshop by Bev Brazelton
Art journals
19th out of 33 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
Aug 02, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it
Very good idea book/peek into the art journals of a number of artists. What's particularly interesting about this book is it was published in 2004 - apparently the term "art journal" was just gaining traction.
Darby
Jan 27, 2009 Darby rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: artists
"Indulge your artistic intuition as you plan and create vivid and revealing visual diaries and sketchbooks." That is from the back of the book and I think it really is a good summary for the book.

I did like this book but I liked it more for the images then the actual written words. This book gives some tips and techniques but in a much different way then Collage Discovery. Collage Discovery gave step by step clear instructions on good techniques. Artist' Journals & Sketchbooks gives more a g
Recynd
Sep 12, 2010 Recynd rated it really liked it
I actually like this book alot; however, it's more for inspiration than an instruction manual. I love Lynne Perrella's art, and I can spend hours looking at this book. Truly, I seem to keep returning to this one, and I wouldn't part with it.
Autumn
Nov 03, 2012 Autumn rated it liked it
Shelves: art
A beautiful full-colour book with lots of photos and ideas for journalling. I'm sticking with 3 stars because, although pretty and interesting to look at, many of the ideas require expensive materials or art experience. I like to tend toward dollar store materials and inexpensive, household items.

If you are looking to create a journal as a gift for someone else, this book would be a great starting point as there is a whole chapter on making your own from unique materials (ie cloth, metal, etc).
Barbara Robbins
I found this book to be somewhat lacking, maybe because I bought 1000 Artist Journals Pages first. For the money and views of various artist I found the other book a better fit for me.....
Kiersten
Feb 15, 2008 Kiersten rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
I can't stop going back to this for more creative ideas!
Jakeyfatdog
Jan 26, 2016 Jakeyfatdog rated it it was amazing
Full of great ideas and lots of tips. More art journal than sketchbook but still great if you want to expand sketchbook work away from "just drawing"
Jamie
Nov 15, 2014 Jamie rated it it was ok
Shelves: art
A nice combination of full-color examples from various artists' books with related techniques and themes to try.
Susan
Jul 13, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
This was an excellent book for a beginner. There are numerous new products on the market today that are not included in this edition.
Sharon Flachsbart
Apr 17, 2016 Sharon Flachsbart rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
incredibly inspiring book. I would love to have time to try a number of the effects that are described throughout the pages. this author is amazing in color, image, effect and over all composition of a page.
Tamara Hala
Feb 27, 2016 Tamara Hala rated it it was amazing
I purchased this book 11 years ago and it really helped me in the beginning years of art journaling. I found it on the shelf recently and re-read it and found it equally inspiring and helpful. This book is a really great resource for beginners and seasoned artists.
Catherine
Apr 29, 2010 Catherine rated it liked it
In this case, you can tell a book by it's cover.

Lots of inspiration and information, very colorful with lots of ideas and practical tips, this is one of the better books on journals and mixed-media that I've read.
Robin
Oct 13, 2008 Robin rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those who like to make things
Recommended to Robin by: read about it online
Saw this in a crafting magazine's e-newsletter and it's really good to inspire artwork and journal creation. Definitely work taking a look at even though many of its ideas are too challenging for me.
Verna
Aug 30, 2008 Verna rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! There is plenty of inspiration and examples; everytime I looked through the book I would find something new. A great book to keep for reference!
Jeanne
Jun 13, 2009 Jeanne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arts-and-crafts
Want to buy this one. Numerous examples that inspire you to want to do it yourself. Also lots of details of how to do it yourself.
Karen
Mar 04, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
Great book art ideas! Somehow I ended up with 2 copies so if someone wants this I can trade for another book on book arts.
Kaye Dewar
Oct 07, 2013 Kaye Dewar rated it it was amazing
Lynne perrela is always a go to for inspirations in painting and collage mediums. Excellent resource!
Bonnie Jeanne
Artists' Journals and Sketchbooks: Exploring and Creating Personal Pages by Lynne Perrella (2004)
Arty
May 06, 2007 Arty rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: artists
Lots of good concepts for use in altered books and collage art.
Kristen
Jun 03, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Love Love Love this book. Why can't my art look this way????
F.j.commelin
Jan 02, 2015 F.j.commelin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, art-practice
inspiring to get yourself ''loosened-up''.
Manintheboat
May 13, 2010 Manintheboat rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
It looks like you made it with your feet.
Sylvia
Jan 14, 2016 Sylvia rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Lovely visuals. Very inspiring!
linda
Pretty!
Kenneth Delos Santos
Kenneth Delos Santos rated it it was amazing
Nizhoni Rogers
Nizhoni Rogers rated it it was amazing
Erin Cole
Erin Cole rated it it was amazing
Mllecsutton
Mllecsutton rated it it was amazing
Alejandra
Alejandra rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2016
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books
  • The Decorated Page: Journals, Scrapbooks & Albums Made Simply Beautiful
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • Collage Discovery Workshop: Make Your Own Collage Creations Using Vintage Photos, Found Objects and Ephemera
  • True Vision: Authentic Art Journaling
  • Kaleidoscope: Projects and Ideas to Spark Your Creativity
  • 1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations
  • Artist Trading Cards Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • Collage Lost and Found
  • Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression
  • Cover to Cover: Creative Techniques for Making Beautiful Books, Journals & Albums
  • The Journal Junkies Workshop: Visual Ammunition for the Art Addict
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up and Create Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections
  • Altered Books Workshop: 18 Creative Techniques for Self-Expression