Start by marking “Larousse Gastronomique Recipe Collection” as Want to Read:
Larousse Gastronomique Recipe Collection

Larousse Gastronomique Recipe Collection

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Since its original publication in 1938, Larousse Gastronomique has withstood the test of time and trend to remain the world’s most authoritative culinary reference book.

Generations of serious cooks have turned to it for guidance that encompasses every fashion and taste, making its comprehensive collection of 2,500 classic recipes an indispensable resource. Recently update
Published March 28th 2006 by Clarkson Potter Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Larousse Gastronomique Recipe Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Larousse Gastronomique Recipe Collection

Yasmine Alfouzan
I don't care if you're never going to use this cookbook. OWN IT. READ IT. NOW.
The recipes are written in a non-accessible form for the beginner, it's like when my mother tells me how to do a recipe (plus some measurements). Here's one example on how to make chocolate cream puffs:

"Prepare some confectioner's custard (pastry cream) and flavour it with melted chocolate. Separately prepare some chocolate fondant icing (frosting) using 200g fondant icing and 50g cocoa blended with 2 tablespoons water
Happyreader
Based on the massive 2001 Larousse Gastronomique, this collection of smaller recipe books is more user friendly.

The book I went through in the set is Vegetables and Salads. Organized by veggie, there are recipes but they're presented with minimal explanation. For instance, here's the recipe for carrot flan: "Bake a pastry flan case blind and fill with a lightly sweetened carrot puree. Cover with slices of glaced carrot, pouring over their cooking juices, and place in a preheated oven at 475 degr
christina white
Apr 04, 2007 christina white rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Advanced culinary professionals.
Shelves: cookbooks
While there are recipes included, this is not a cookbook per se, but rather a reference tome designed for serious, knowledgeable cooks looking for advanced help. It is a premier encyclopedia of cuisine, but it is so advanced and so dense, do not expect it to be much help unless you already are advanced yourself. I would compare it to a legal reference book versus a book for laymen interested about the law. Legal reference is for lawyers. Is this clear?
Beth
Functionally, this book will stay on my Currently Reading list forever. Here, I categorize it as Read in order to express unmitigated adoration for its brilliance. Once I am a Kept Woman or win la loterie I will cook my way through the entire thing.
ML
Mar 14, 2008 ML rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cooks
Here you can find anything used in western cousine, a must have for all kitchens. But watch out, this is not a "how to" kind of recipes book, this is a reference encyclopedia of "what to do" once you became a cook.
Pinky
There is a reason why Hannibal had this in his kitchen. It is the encyclopedia of everything gourmet. Between this and Joy of Cooking, you're pretty much set to do anything for Western cuisine.
Amanda
If I could give it 10 stars I would.....
怡芸 邱
怡芸 邱 marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Leesang
Leesang marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Brooke
Brooke added it
Apr 11, 2015
Hamish
Hamish marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Verona
Verona marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Mariella
Mariella is currently reading it
Feb 12, 2015
Steve Harvey
Steve Harvey marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Raymond
Raymond marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Patty R.
Patty R. marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Leah Kirkpatrick
Leah Kirkpatrick marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Larousse Gastronomique: The World's Greatest Culinary Encyclopedia French / English Dictionary Larousse Advanced French-English/English-French Dictionary Larousse Pocket French/English Dictionary Larousse Pocket Dictionary: Spanish-English / English-Spanish