Start by marking “The Ghosts Of Nantucket: 23 True Accounts” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Ghosts Of Nantucke...

Blue Balliett

The Ghosts Of Nantucket: 23 True Accounts

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  74 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Nantucket residents describe their firsthand encounters with paranormal phenomena in this unusual (and bestselling) book. Their accounts are both surprising and entertaining, for Nantucket's ghosts are as individualistic as today's flesh-and-blood inhabitants.
Published (first published June 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Ghosts Of Nantucket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghosts Of Nantucket

Keely
Jan 06, 2015 Keely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Balliett presents these ghost narratives from residents of Nantucket Island without editorializing. She sets the scene for each interview, then gets out of the way and lets the voices of the storytellers come through. The accounts range in tone from merely curious, to kinda' bizarre, to truly terrifying. And it's entirely up to the reader whether to believe them or not.
Dani Peloquin
May 11, 2012 Dani Peloquin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
October is my favorite month. I love apple picking, the chill in the air...oh, and scary stories!! I am always on the hunt for a good spooky tale but too often I get stuck with gory books or stories that fall flat. When I saw this book at my local library, I thought that I would take a shot (even if the book is older than I am!). I am SO glad that I picked up this book because it was the perfect combination of scary, eerie, and chilling. Better yet, there are no dead bodies or bloody corpses.

The
Easepod
Sep 06, 2014 Easepod rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a compilation of "The Ghosts of Nantucket" and "Nantucket Hauntings" published in the 1980s before Balliett became an accomplished kids mystery writer. The 44 stories are straight, unembellished oral histories based on actual interviews with Nantucket Island year-around and summer residents. The fact that these stories have been in print for almost 35 years tells you something. Terrific and true accounts.
Maisy Moss
Sep 23, 2014 Maisy Moss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Spooky...
Pam
Jan 07, 2012 Pam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, pam
Blue Balliett's The Ghosts of Nantucket is a traditional ghost story book which features "true stories" of haunted houses on Nantucket. I chose to read it because I just love Blue Balliett's other books, but it is very different. It was okay, but not inspiring.
jcad
Jun 23, 2012 jcad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I probably first read this book when I was ten or twelve and it still haunts me. Some of the tales and images are shocking and disturbing, and walking around Nantucket, you am easily believe these tales have happened in a place so secluded and rich with history.
Mar 09, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was really interesting to read these stories and first hand accounts of hauntings, and to wonder if there is anything to them.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I think this is the same Blue Balliett who went on to write the children's novel Chasing Vermeer.
Angie
Oct 19, 2011 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
A collection of ghost stories as told to Blue Balliett by residents of Nantucket.
Kim
Jun 14, 2013 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very fun read!
Shannon
Jul 10, 2011 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
spooky, loved it
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Rhiannon Richards
Rhiannon Richards marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Lolasuej
Lolasuej marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Beth Hestad
Beth Hestad marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Rebekah Grace
Rebekah Grace rated it it was ok
Mar 11, 2016
Isaurathewriter
Isaurathewriter marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Shorty11122
Shorty11122 marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
S.K.
S.K. added it
Jan 15, 2016
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Minda
Minda marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Christine Graham
Christine Graham rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2015
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Mammoth Book of True Hauntings
  • Haunted: The Incredible True Story of a Canadian Family's Experience Living in a Haunted House
  • Ghostly Encounters: True Stories of America's Haunted Inns and Hotels
  • When the Ghost Screams: True Stories of Victims Who Haunt
  • More Ghosts of Gettysburg: Spirits, Apparitions and Haunted Places of the Battlefield
  • Haunted Wisconsin
  • Haunted Cemeteries: Creepy Crypts, Spine-Tingling Spirits, and Midnight Mayhem
  • Graveyard (Ed & Lorraine Warren Book 1)
  • The Night Library
  • Real Hauntings: America's True Ghost Stories
  • The Ghost Next Door: True Stories of Paranormal Encounters from Everyday People
  • The Best Ghost Stories Ever
  • Lizzie
  • A Corner of the Veil: A Novel
  • Art History's History
  • Trucker Ghost Stories: And Other True Tales of Haunted Highways, Weird Encounters, and Legends of the Road
  • Last Dance (Saturday Night, #2)
  • Making Friday the 13th
I was born in New York City and grew up playing in Central Park, getting my share of scraped knees, and riding many public buses and subways. By the time I was a teenager, I sometimes stopped at the Metropolitan Museum of Art or the Frick Museum after school, just to wander and look and think. The Met has five Vermeer paintings and the Frick three, so Vermeer and I have been friends for many years ...more
More about Blue Balliett...