Start by marking “The Foundations of Chinese Medicine: A Comprehensive Text for Acupuncturists and Herbalists” as Want to Read:

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  187 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
This successful Chinese medicine textbook covers the theory of traditional Chinese medicine and acupuncture, and discusses in detail the use of acupuncture points and the principles of treatment. The material is based on rigorous reference to ancient and modern Chinese texts, and explains the application of theory in a Western practice context. The new edition features new ...more
Hardcover, Second Edition, 1205 pages
Published July 13th 2005 by Churchill Livingstone (first published September 4th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Foundations of Chinese Medicine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Foundations of Chinese Medicine

Joshua
Aug 14, 2011 Joshua added it
Shelves: hippie, summer11
I read enough to convince me that I like western/modernist/scientist concepts of disease and the universe, Taoism metaphysis notwithstanding.
Jmaynard9221
Apr 26, 2013 Jmaynard9221 rated it it was amazing
Clear and concise. Well organized for presenting a very fluid medicine.
Rebecca
Oct 16, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't claim to have read this book from cover to cover but it is another one of my trusted reference books. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone with a serious interest in traditional chinese medicine.
Courtney
Apr 02, 2012 Courtney rated it liked it
Recommends it for: TCM students!
Shelves: bodies, reference
I'm going to be reading this for the next 3 years, so I might as well say here and now that it's fantastic. No matter what the consensus among TCM students may be, I find it well-written, interesting, comprehensive, and somewhat easy to grasp. Maybe "easy" is a strong word...but that's not because of Giovanni.
Heather P
May 05, 2008 Heather P rated it really liked it
Good translation from Chinese. Good study guide with a good outline. It seems redundant at times, but that's mostly because I read it through instead of using it as a reference. Its a good book to have on my shelf for reference.
Brian
Mar 19, 2012 Brian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-work, reference
It may only take another thousand years for Western medicine to realize that Chinese medicine has had things pretty well figured out...for the last couple thousand years.
Erin
Dec 03, 2008 Erin rated it it was amazing
Every time I go back to this book, I'm amazed at how much information is there. It's dense without being inaccessible. Worth its weight in gold.
wheels
May 06, 2009 wheels rated it liked it
I spent 160 US dollars on this book. I think it is not to much to ask for it to be thoroughly copy-edited.
Finbar
Jul 28, 2007 Finbar rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Acupuncture students
This is the cornerstone textbook for first year acupuncture students.
Anindya
Anindya
May 31, 2012 Anindya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
best
Jyoti Gada
Jyoti Gada marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Elizabeth Callahan
Elizabeth Callahan marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Viri G.
Viri G. marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Peter Nguyen
Peter Nguyen marked it as to-read
Anne Johansen
Anne Johansen marked it as to-read
Xerxes
Xerxes rated it it was amazing
Fransielfeld
Fransielfeld marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Natalie Ludwig
Natalie Ludwig rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
MT
MT marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Alik Castorkin
Alik Castorkin marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Claire Tan
Claire Tan marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Ines
Ines marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Kavan
Kavan marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Ayse Arpaci
Ayse Arpaci marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Dennis Hendon
Dennis Hendon marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Echo Guo
Echo Guo marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
  • A Manual of Acupuncture
  • Chinese Herbal Medicine: Materia Medica
  • The Web That Has No Weaver: Understanding Chinese Medicine
  • Between Heaven and Earth
  • A Tooth from the Tiger's Mouth: How to Treat Your Injuries with Powerful Healing Secrets of the Great Chinese Warrior
  • Trail Guide to the Body: How to locate the body's muscles, bones and more (Third Edition)
  • The Yellow Emperor's Classic of Medicine: A New Translation of the Neijing Suwen with Commentary
  • The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy, 18th Edition
  • Hole's Essentials of Human Anatomy and Physiology
  • The Book of Massage: The Complete Step-by-Step Guide To Eastern And Western Techniques
  • The Root of Chinese Qigong: Secrets of Health, Longevity, & Enlightenment
  • T'ai Chi Classics
  • The Expressiveness of the Body and the Divergence of Greek and Chinese Medicine
  • Healing With Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition
  • Language of Medicine (Access Code and Textbook Package): Medical Terminology Online
  • Wood Becomes Water: Chinese Medicine in Everyday Life
  • Massage Therapy: Principles and Practice
  • Most Effective Natural Cures on Earth: The Surprising Unbiased Truth about What Treatments Work and Why