Start by marking “The Foundations of Chinese Medicine: A Comprehensive Text for Acupuncturists and Herbalists” as Want to Read:

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  12 reviews
This successful Chinese medicine textbook covers the theory of traditional Chinese medicine and acupuncture, and discusses in detail the use of acupuncture points and the principles of treatment. The material is based on rigorous reference to ancient and modern Chinese texts, and explains the application of theory in a Western practice context. The new edition features new ...more
Hardcover, Second Edition, 1205 pages
Published July 13th 2005 by Churchill Livingstone (first published September 4th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Foundations of Chinese Medicine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Foundations of Chinese Medicine

Aug 14, 2011 Joshua added it
Shelves: hippie, summer11
I read enough to convince me that I like western/modernist/scientist concepts of disease and the universe, Taoism metaphysis notwithstanding.
Clear and concise. Well organized for presenting a very fluid medicine.
I can't claim to have read this book from cover to cover but it is another one of my trusted reference books. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone with a serious interest in traditional chinese medicine.
I picked up this book during the summer before my decision to study Chinese Medicine and I was captivated. It's a rather comprehensive textbook on the fundamentals of tcm and I couldn't have asked for a better doorway into the complex and beautiful world of Chinese Medicine.
and the thing is, I can't just read it once and understand it. It demands rereading until I have captured the depth and beauty of chinese medicine. It includes diagnosis, pathogenic patterns, the 12 Meridians and 2 extra Meri
Apr 02, 2012 Courtney rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: TCM students!
Shelves: bodies, reference
I'm going to be reading this for the next 3 years, so I might as well say here and now that it's fantastic. No matter what the consensus among TCM students may be, I find it well-written, interesting, comprehensive, and somewhat easy to grasp. Maybe "easy" is a strong word...but that's not because of Giovanni.
Heather P
Good translation from Chinese. Good study guide with a good outline. It seems redundant at times, but that's mostly because I read it through instead of using it as a reference. Its a good book to have on my shelf for reference.
It may only take another thousand years for Western medicine to realize that Chinese medicine has had things pretty well figured out...for the last couple thousand years.
Every time I go back to this book, I'm amazed at how much information is there. It's dense without being inaccessible. Worth its weight in gold.
I spent 160 US dollars on this book. I think it is not to much to ask for it to be thoroughly copy-edited.
Jul 28, 2007 Finbar rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Acupuncture students
This is the cornerstone textbook for first year acupuncture students.
thats good book :)
Dec 26, 2008 Macpherson is currently reading it
Narjes Khnefes
Narjes Khnefes marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Hadiah Asti
Hadiah Asti marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Kamil marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Giulia Colombini
Giulia Colombini marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Soni marked it as to-read
Mark Goodwin
Mark Goodwin marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Azad marked it as to-read
Aldo added it
Nov 13, 2015
Alex Yuzefovich
Alex Yuzefovich marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Gretchen Truly
Gretchen Truly marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Ashley marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
  • A Manual of Acupuncture
  • Chinese Herbal Medicine: Materia Medica
  • The Web That Has No Weaver: Understanding Chinese Medicine
  • Between Heaven and Earth
  • A Tooth from the Tiger's Mouth: How to Treat Your Injuries with Powerful Healing Secrets of the Great Chinese Warrior
  • The Yellow Emperor's Classic of Medicine: A New Translation of the Neijing Suwen with Commentary
  • Trail Guide to the Body: How to locate the body's muscles, bones and more (Third Edition)
  • Hole's Essentials of Human Anatomy and Physiology
  • The Book of Massage: The Complete Step-by-Step Guide To Eastern And Western Techniques
  • T'ai Chi Classics
  • Healing With Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition
  • The Language of Medicine
  • The Expressiveness of the Body and the Divergence of Greek and Chinese Medicine
  • The Anatomy Coloring Book