Peek-a-Moo!

Peek-a-Moo!

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  673 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Little ones love to play peek-a-boo! With its bright, quirky animals and oversized flaps to lift, Peek-a-Moo! is sure to be a read-aloud favorite. Readers play peek-a-boo with a different animal on each page, guessing what it is, then lifting the flap to find out. Each animal has a different sound that becomes part of the peek-a-boo game: Guess who? "Peek-a-moo!" says the...more
Published September 1st 1998 by Dutton Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Peek-a-Moo!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peek-a-Moo!

David
Peek-a-Moo! (Lift-the-Flap) by Marie Torres Cimarusti, illustrated by Stephanie Petersen is a classic lift the flap book focusing on farm related animals.

This book has repetition on every page, with the phrase, “guess who? Peek a ____.” Lifting the flap to find out, the reader discovers a phrase like "Peek-a-moo!" says the cow, or "Peek-a-quack!" says the duck. This book for emergent readers features a large font, good space between letters, few words on each page, repetitive phrases, and illus...more
Valerie
Summary: Little ones love to play peek-a-boo! With its bright, quirky animals and oversized flaps to lift, Peek-a-Moo! is sure to be a read-aloud favorite. Readers play peek-a-boo with a different animal on each page, guessing what it is, then lifting the flap to find out. Each animal has a different sound that becomes part of the peek-a-boo game: Guess who? "Peek-a-moo!" says the cow. "Peek-a-squeak!" says the mouse. The bold, funny illustrations will keep kids laughing, while the large trim si...more
Jenna Dillon
Michelle
Ina
Big bright pull down flaps show a variety of animals playing "Peek-a…" and you finish the phrase with the sound the animal makes: for example, "Peek-a-Oink!" when you see the top of a pig peeking out from behind the flap. Everyone had fun finishing the phrase with the animal sounds.
Gabriel
Heard this at story time. Wasn't a fan. We'll give it another go so he can lift the flaps and make sounds when he's a bit older.
Vivian
These "Peek-a-" books are great to share with young children, either in a story program setting or at home. Children love imitating animal sounds. Lots of "phonological awareness" opportunities here!
Angela Chadbourne
Perfect for Baby or Toddler Storytime - Short and interactive . Perfect for a the last book.
Amanda
Read this to my 18-month-old niece via Skype. She LOVED it!
Karawan
I liked the big flaps that are easy for babies to manipulate. This is another one that I'd like to come back to when Gavin is older and working on animal sounds. He definitely liked this better than the other peek-a-boo book I read him last week. He was pretty into it but held back a little because he was by far the youngest kid in the storytime group and the older toddlers were more assertive about volunteering to open the flaps. And there's an owl, which for some reason I still can't figure ou...more
Kyra Hahn
Cute animal sound & peek a boo book
Heidi
Well, I'm not head-over-heels for the book. But the flap format will be great for the toddlers, especially with them guessing the animals and their sounds. I'm hoping that 2 animals per spread won't confuse them. Still worth a try!

4/14/11 The first group (~45) was too large that I couldn't keep much attention past a 3rd book. So this was only done with the second and smaller group. It went well. The very young wanted more to pull the flaps than to guess the animals and their sounds. But overall,...more
Marisa
I want to follow my friend, Becky's, example and share some of my favorite children's books. This is Sally's favorite book right now. It doesn't have a lot of words but the few it does have are absolutely hilarious to a child under two. It's super interactive with the lift the flaps, and prompts to "moo", or "quack", or make some other animal sound. And it's short enough to read a number of times without contributing too much to your insanity, but still feeding the repetition craving of your you...more
Nicholle
Brightly coloured, lift-the-flap book where children guess which animal is playing peek-a-boo. Simple, rhyming text, and interactivity make Peek-a-Moo! a great choice for the end of a toddler storytime, where the children's attention spans may be waning. I do prefer Peek-a Pet, but this title is a good second choice if the former is not available.
Ashley
I found this book at my library with my 29 month old earlier today.
I also found and took out Peek-a-zoo and peek-a-pet by this author.
I thought we'd enjoy them because it reminded me of Do Cows Meow? by Salina Yoon
which we really enjoyed!
I thought the illustration could been a lot better but it was an okay book.
I don't think I'd buy it though.
jacky
This is a regular sized picture book with almost full page sized flaps shaped like the animals. The flaps are of the animals covering their eyes playing peekaboo. When the animal is revealed it says, "Peek-a-Moo" or whatever sound that animal makes. Great fun for toddlers who are learning their animals sounds.
Kate
Cute for storytime for toddlers. The interactive portion (flipping down the flaps) could get a bit competitive with a large or rowdy group. It's a bit fragile...the library copy I read was missing portions so it may not be the ideal choice for a library setting.
Rebecca Ann
This was a simple, charming book perfect for a toddler or lapsit storytime. The pop-out panels make it even more fun and it will help teach babies and toddlers animals sounds. The illustrations had bold colors and simple forms with lots of empty space.
Noelle Boc
Very cute, although the "rooster" just looks like a chicken, so I wouldn't guess it said cock-a-doodle-doo.
Amber
Another favorite book of my one year old. He loves peek-a-boo books and he loves animals. He loves it when you say the animal sounds as if you were that animal. The cow is his favorite and the duck makes him laugh.
Adorable.
Hillary
This is a great book for storytime with ages 0-3. The flaps offer great print motivation, as well as an opportunity for guessing/prediction. The flaps are big enough to withstand a little love from the children too :)
Caroline
A very simple but enjoyable concept and, judging by the layers of tape on the library copy, very much loved! Good for teaching animal names and sounds, playing peek-a-boo and colours. Love it!
Lindsay
In this lift-the-flap book, children have to guess which animal is playing peek-a-boo and make the corresponding animal noises. It makes for a fun participation story for story time programs.
Rosa
A peek a boo flap book that goes over the various sounds animals make. I see this book being a lot of fun and very interactive for a young story time group.
Jae
With huge opening flaps, children love pulling the images of arms down and being surprised by the smiling faces awaiting them. A must for pre-todlers.
Dana
Any guessing game goes over great with the preschoolers. And bonus points for the opportunity to make animal noises!
Julie
Ahh...what a cool "board" book with flaps to lift and sounds to make. A book I love giving new mommies and daddies.
Becky H.
Aug 14, 2008 Becky H. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents and their children
Recommended to Becky H. by: Kathryn
Shelves: 2008, picture-books
Peek-a-moo, peek-a-oink... all of the animals on the farm are playing peek-a-boo. Very cute lift the flap style book.
Heather
Big bold pictures and simple text - good for kids. Mine were anxious to get their turn with this one.
Carol
Feb 12, 2012 Carol rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Babies
Fun flap book. The reader pulls down the flap to reveal pig's "Peek a oink," cow's "Peek a moo" and so on.
Peek-a-Moo 2 8 Jun 03, 2009 11:43PM
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Hello, Day!
  • Tuck Me In!
  • Clip-Clop
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Big Fat Hen
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Toot Toot Beep Beep
  • Dancing Feet!
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • The Baby Goes Beep
  • Barnyard Banter
  • I Kissed the Baby!
  • The Wide-Mouthed Frog: A Pop-Up Book
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Yummy Yucky
  • All Kinds of Kisses
  • I Spy on the Farm
Peek-a-Zoo! Peek-a-Pet! Peek-A-Choo-Choo! Peek-a-Boooo! Peek-a-Bloom!