Start by marking “Peek-a-Moo!” as Want to Read:
Peek-a-Moo!

Peek-a-Moo!

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  1,411 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
Little ones love to play peek-a-boo! With its bright, quirky animals and oversized flaps to lift, Peek-a-Moo! is sure to be a read-aloud favorite. Readers play peek-a-boo with a different animal on each page, guessing what it is, then lifting the flap to find out. Each animal has a different sound that becomes part of the peek-a-boo game: Guess who? "Peek-a-moo!" says the ...more
Novelty Book, 10 pages
Published September 1st 1998 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Peek-a-Moo!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peek-a-Moo!

David
Aug 18, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Peek-a-Moo! (Lift-the-Flap) by Marie Torres Cimarusti, illustrated by Stephanie Petersen is a classic lift the flap book focusing on farm related animals.

This book has repetition on every page, with the phrase, “guess who? Peek a ____.” Lifting the flap to find out, the reader discovers a phrase like "Peek-a-moo!" says the cow, or "Peek-a-quack!" says the duck. This book for emergent readers features a large font, good space between letters, few words on each page, repetitive phrases, and illus
Jessica
Dec 05, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The toddlers engaged more than I expected – there was much laughter.
Allie Monahan
Title: Peek-a-Moo!
Author: Marie Torres Cimarusti
Illustrator: Stephanie Petersen
Genre: Toy/moveable book
Theme(s): Animals, peek-a-boo book
Opening line/sentence:
An oink, a moo, a cock-a-doodle-doo
Who’s in the barnyard playing peek-a-boo?
Brief Book Summary:
This book contains large brightly colored barnyard animals who play peek-a-boo with the young reader. Each page contains a different farm animal that is covering its face, the reader then lifts the flap to discover what the animal has to say.
Asho
Jan 05, 2017 Asho rated it really liked it
Head this one at a library story time. It didn't seem like much to me, but L LOVED it. Each time the animal did it's thing "Peek-a-Moo!" "Peek-a-squeak!" "Peek-a-quack!" she had a big grin on her face and a shy little laugh (no loud laughs in public, she's shy). I'll have to try to remember to check this out for her at some point so she can enjoy it at home. Great choice for two-year-olds who enjoy peek-a-boo and animal sounds (so, all two-year-olds, just about).
Jenna Dillon
Oct 25, 2009 Jenna Dillon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: emergent
Summary: Little ones love to play peek-a-boo! With its bright, quirky animals and oversized flaps to lift, Peek-a-Moo! is sure to be a read-aloud favorite. Readers play peek-a-boo with a different animal on each page, guessing what it is, then lifting the flap to find out. Each animal has a different sound that becomes part of the peek-a-boo game: Guess who? "Peek-a-moo!" says the cow. "Peek-a-squeak!" says the mouse. The bold, funny illustrations will keep kids laughing, while the large trim si ...more
Valerie
Oct 10, 2009 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sam, catalog
Carlye
1. Basically this is a younger children's book which seems like was made to help kids understand different animals and the noises that they make. It starts out asking what are the different animals in the barnyard. Then there in the question Guess who? and a picture of a animal with a flap covering its' eyes and face. Once you flip down the flap it says the typical noise that the animal makes and also what the animal is. This is then a continuing theme throughout the book.

2. This book actually r
Michelle
Oct 14, 2009 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catalog
Karawan
I liked the big flaps that are easy for babies to manipulate. This is another one that I'd like to come back to when Gavin is older and working on animal sounds. He definitely liked this better than the other peek-a-boo book I read him last week. He was pretty into it but held back a little because he was by far the youngest kid in the storytime group and the older toddlers were more assertive about volunteering to open the flaps. And there's an owl, which for some reason I still can't figure ou ...more
Marisa
Apr 28, 2008 Marisa rated it it was amazing
I want to follow my friend, Becky's, example and share some of my favorite children's books. This is Sally's favorite book right now. It doesn't have a lot of words but the few it does have are absolutely hilarious to a child under two. It's super interactive with the lift the flaps, and prompts to "moo", or "quack", or make some other animal sound. And it's short enough to read a number of times without contributing too much to your insanity, but still feeding the repetition craving of your you ...more
Heidi-Marie
Well, I'm not head-over-heels for the book. But the flap format will be great for the toddlers, especially with them guessing the animals and their sounds. I'm hoping that 2 animals per spread won't confuse them. Still worth a try!

4/14/11 The first group (~45) was too large that I couldn't keep much attention past a 3rd book. So this was only done with the second and smaller group. It went well. The very young wanted more to pull the flaps than to guess the animals and their sounds. But overall,
Cara Byrne
Mar 11, 2015 Cara Byrne rated it liked it
A peek-a-boo themed book with flaps exposing different farm animals. Teaches animals, as well as animal sounds. Sweet, but nothing special (2 stars). A baby story time read.

* Update review: while 10 month old Lucy didn't think much of this book, 22 month old Lucy thinks it is the most hysterical, best book she's ever read. She gives it all of the stars, so I'll average this with my previous review and give it 3 stars ;)
jacky
Jan 16, 2011 jacky rated it really liked it
This is a regular sized picture book with almost full page sized flaps shaped like the animals. The flaps are of the animals covering their eyes playing peekaboo. When the animal is revealed it says, "Peek-a-Moo" or whatever sound that animal makes. Great fun for toddlers who are learning their animals sounds.
Nicholle
Brightly coloured, lift-the-flap book where children guess which animal is playing peek-a-boo. Simple, rhyming text, and interactivity make Peek-a-Moo! a great choice for the end of a toddler storytime, where the children's attention spans may be waning. I do prefer Peek-a Pet, but this title is a good second choice if the former is not available.
Ashley
Oct 31, 2013 Ashley rated it it was ok
I found this book at my library with my 29 month old earlier today.
I also found and took out Peek-a-zoo and peek-a-pet by this author.
I thought we'd enjoy them because it reminded me of Do Cows Meow? by Salina Yoon
which we really enjoyed!
I thought the illustration could been a lot better but it was an okay book.
I don't think I'd buy it though.
Kate
Apr 04, 2013 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Cute for storytime for toddlers. The interactive portion (flipping down the flaps) could get a bit competitive with a large or rowdy group. It's a bit fragile...the library copy I read was missing portions so it may not be the ideal choice for a library setting.
Vivian
Jan 28, 2014 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
These "Peek-a-" books are great to share with young children, either in a story program setting or at home. Children love imitating animal sounds. Lots of "phonological awareness" opportunities here!
Rina
Jun 23, 2015 Rina rated it it was amazing
Baby loved the book, but I don't think it's tough enough to withstand the death grip he has. The pig and the duck have already suffered, but he really enjoys the peek-a-boo repetition and interactive nature. So, the destruction may be worth it...
Ina
Jul 14, 2014 Ina rated it it was amazing
Big bright pull down flaps show a variety of animals playing "Peek-a…" and you finish the phrase with the sound the animal makes: for example, "Peek-a-Oink!" when you see the top of a pig peeking out from behind the flap. Everyone had fun finishing the phrase with the animal sounds.
Amber
Oct 30, 2008 Amber rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Another favorite book of my one year old. He loves peek-a-boo books and he loves animals. He loves it when you say the animal sounds as if you were that animal. The cow is his favorite and the duck makes him laugh.
Adorable.
Hillary
Sep 12, 2012 Hillary rated it really liked it
This is a great book for storytime with ages 0-3. The flaps offer great print motivation, as well as an opportunity for guessing/prediction. The flaps are big enough to withstand a little love from the children too :)
Rebecca Ann
Nov 03, 2012 Rebecca Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This was a simple, charming book perfect for a toddler or lapsit storytime. The pop-out panels make it even more fun and it will help teach babies and toddlers animals sounds. The illustrations had bold colors and simple forms with lots of empty space.
Paula
Featuring bright, quirky animals and oversized flaps to lift, readers will enjoy playing peek-a-boo with a different animal on each page, guessing what it is, then lifting the flap to find out. Full-color illustrations. 5 spreads.
Vicki
Mar 14, 2016 Vicki rated it it was amazing
This one is fabulous for the under 3 set. Everybody is absolutely enthralled when you pull down the flap, and of course, all of the noises that the animals make are just right for toddlers and babies.
Miss Sarah
Mar 09, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: babies, peek-a-boo, flaps
large board book where each animal reveals themselves with a pull down flap and answer tot eh peek a boo question. Baby appropriate. Would love a multi copy.
Julie
Dec 22, 2007 Julie rated it it was amazing
Ahh...what a cool "board" book with flaps to lift and sounds to make. A book I love giving new mommies and daddies.
Allison
Farm animals play peek-a-boo. Er, moo.
Amy
Jun 09, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Interactive with flap, good for young children. Farm theme. Rhymes & animal sounds.
Angela
Aug 02, 2014 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
Perfect for Baby or Toddler Storytime - Short and interactive . Perfect for a the last book.
Noelle Boc
Jan 02, 2014 Noelle Boc rated it really liked it
Very cute, although the "rooster" just looks like a chicken, so I wouldn't guess it said cock-a-doodle-doo.
Peek-a-Moo 2 9 Jun 04, 2009 08:43AM
  • Hello, Day!
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Tuck Me In!