Start by marking “Make a Zine: When Words and Graphics Collide” as Want to Read:
Make a Zine: When Words and Graphics Collide

Make a Zine: When Words and Graphics Collide

In Microcosm’s DIY guide to zine-making, editors Bill Brent, Joe Biel, and a cast of contributors take you from the dreaming and scheming stages onto printing, publication and beyond! Covering all the bases for beginners,Make a Zine!hits on more advanced topics like Creative Commons licenses, legality, and sustainability. Says Feminist Review, “Make a Zine!is an inspiring, ...more
Published December 1st 2008 by Microcosm Publishing (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Make a Zine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make a Zine

Kristin
Sep 21, 2015 Kristin rated it did not like it
I was looking for practical information and found...not that. The book is geared toward very specific subsets of the zine community: mostly those who write punk music zines or comic zines--and those who produce collaborative zines. There was almost no practical information about how to actually put a zine together--instead the focus was on working with printers and distributors once the content and layout were done. They simply recommended you go find particular books to read on the rest of the ...more
Elevate Difference
Jan 10, 2009 Elevate Difference rated it it was amazing
Remember when self-publishing didn't mean having a blog? Remember when you spent time proofreading your random scraps of writing and rearranging clips, when you felt like you had time with your work instead of longing for the compulsive, furtive click of the "publish" button? In a time when ubiquitous technology is rapidly replacing print media as we’ve known it, spending six months on a themed booklet of your own musings might seem odd. Yet maybe it is exactly the return to simplicity that we n ...more
Stephanie Meunier
Jul 23, 2016 Stephanie Meunier rated it it was ok
Good for beginners and people dedicated to get better at zine making.
Anna
Sep 13, 2015 Anna rated it liked it
Great reference guide for the zine session I offered at my high school library.
Nick Jagielski
Mar 18, 2013 Nick Jagielski rated it really liked it
Very useful information for people trying to do something creative (making a zine, in this case). It succeeds in dealing with some tricky aspects of zine-making, and answers some questions I've been wondering about for a while.

Having it by my side certainly helps, and the authors clearly know their stuffs (they're long-time zinesters themselves), although I did expect the book to be a bit more specific on the writing and design process, and less than the selling-zines side.
Beverly
Aug 04, 2009 Beverly rated it liked it
I picked this up for inspiration for the Girls Rock Camp zine workshop I was putting together. I learned a lot about the history of zines. For instance, the first real zines were made and circulated among wrestling and sci-fi enthusiasts in the 1920s. That's about the only new information in this book for me but it's full of resources. Not that you need a book to make a zine. On the other hand if you feel like it and you want a little push ...
Carly
Dec 08, 2011 Carly rated it it was amazing
Really great book of resources and information on how to make zines, particularly when I wasn't quite sure how to start. Most information in here covers pretty much any zine budget, and Anything I needed to know was either explained/introduced or a guide. Huge list of resources, stores, distros, zine libraries and events is in the back - which has been great for further reading.
Marian
Aug 16, 2014 Marian added it
I'm so glad I picked up a copy of this book on amazon, because it is a great book at a great price! It is very informative and chock full of topics, tips, and ideas. If you have any interest in zines or self publishing, I think you will definitely find this book interesting.
Phoebe Macdonald
Sep 04, 2013 Phoebe Macdonald rated it it was ok
Very helpful but a bit bland.
Amy
Jul 01, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
summer project with the kiddo
Nicole
Jun 19, 2010 Nicole rated it really liked it
Good overview/tips
Muriel
Muriel rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2016
Georgina Ragazza
Georgina Ragazza rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Ivan
Ivan rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Cara
Cara rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Kat Champ
Kat Champ marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Sarah rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Ben Chapman
Ben Chapman rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2016
Mariah
Mariah marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Melody
Melody marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
David Jardine
David Jardine marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Lilibet
Lilibet marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Mikebo
Mikebo added it
Jan 28, 2016
Gabbaro
Gabbaro rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
jen
jen rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Aubry
Aubry marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016