Start by marking “Broken (Women of the Otherworld, #6)” as Want to Read:
Broken (Women of the Otherworld, #6)

Broken (Women of the Otherworld #6)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  25,669 Ratings  ·  699 Reviews
10 Audio CDs / 12 hrs 30 min

In this thrilling new novel from the author of Industrial Magic , a pregnant werewolf may have unwittingly unleashed Jack the Ripper on the twenty-first century—and become his next target…

Ever since she discovered she's pregnant, Elena Michaels has been on edge. After all, she's never heard of another living female werewolf, let alone one who'
Audio CD, Unabridged, 13 pages
Published August 25th 2008 by Tantor Media (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Broken, please sign up.

Linn there will be some gaps when it comes to friendship and the other characters in the books. I would not recommend skipping books, but think it is…morethere will be some gaps when it comes to friendship and the other characters in the books. I would not recommend skipping books, but think it is possible.(less)

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
“We sacrificed a mosquito. I bet that's what did it. It was probably a virgin too.”

I was happy to finally return to Elena's point of view after being away from her voice for a few books. This turned out to be the weakest of the first three starring Elena's POV, but it's still worth checking out.

We get plenty of Elena, Clay, Jeremy, Jaime, and the setting of Toronto with an unusual historical mystery involving magic. The Jack-The-Ripper lore was certainly unique although not my favorite side-pl
Tatiana
Aug 14, 2009 Tatiana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Women of the Otherworld series
Shelves: urban-fantasy, 2010
As much as I hate to say it, but "Broken" is the weakest "Women of the Otherworld" installment so far. My dislike has nothing to do with the main characters (I remember not really liking "Dime Store Magic" strictly because I didn't really care for Paige or Lucas), but has a lot to do with the fact that "Broken" has a wish-fulfillment/filler quality about it. Allow me to elaborate.

The focus of this novel is... Elena's pregnancy. That's right, not a zombie outbreak accidentally caused by Elena whe
Heather
Aug 14, 2009 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Armstrong Pack Lovers
Reading Broken and Men of the Otherworld simultaneously allowed me to realize what I had long been suspecting, I read Armstrong for the men of her Otherworld, not the women. Strike that, I read Armstrong for the Werewolf men of her Otherworld, not the women.

I’ll admit that I shamelessly passed over Dime Store Magic,Industrial Magic and Haunted to get right down to business with Broken. I appreciated, even enjoyed inclusions of other supernatural races in Stolen, but it was Armstrong’s werewolf l
valee
Sep 22, 2009 valee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
OMG! I just can't believe how freaking amazing this book was. I loved every page of it! It just kept getting better and better. Definitely the best book in the series so far. Much better than the rest, actually. I was expecting an amazing read but never one such as this one, with drama, adventure, suspense, and so much more. The best Urban fantasy book I have read in a while.I have been hooked with this series since book 1 and have not been able to stop reading it since then; one book right afte ...more
Megan
Kelley Armstrong's books are becoming more and more difficult for me to rate and review. On one hand, her characterization and world building are some of the best I've read. But on the other hand, she apparently wants to be a mystery writer, and her plots have become formulaic. Le sigh.

Here is what kicks ass about this book: The Otherworld is amazing. Armstrong's strength as an urban fantasy writer definitely lies her her ability to create a believable, well defined, and engrossing world withou
Kat Kennedy
So I can't say I wasn't warned... realistically speaking I was warned once I was already three quarters of the way through it, but I was warned none-the-less!

Broken revolves around Elena and Clay as they go through their pregnancy while fighting evil and solving mystery and generally proving, yet again, that they're in love.

I love this couple. Absolutely love them to pieces. Bitten remains one of my favourite urban fantasy books to this day.

My problem was that the mystery in this book was painfu
Christina
Jan 06, 2009 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars for the disconnected, slightly mundane beginning of the novel; 5 stars for the amazing Armstrong-style ending.

I won't lie; as much as I fangirl over Kelley Armstrong, Elena, Clay, and the whole werewolf world... I was initially disappointed over Broken. I skipped from Stolen to Broken (shamefully, I wish I'd had enough patience to read the three in-betweens first) and just felt like Armstrong had lost her touch to the werewolf world. Suddenly, Elena's POV wasn't about the werewolves, it
Lauren
Broken
4 Stars

When Elena Michaels is asked to pay back a favor, little does she know that she is about to unleash one of the most vile murderers of all time onto an unsuspecting world. Tasked with stealing Jack the Ripper's "From Hell" letter, Elena accidentally triggers a dimensional portal that enables zombies, plagues and even the notorious killer to appear in modern day Toronto.

Fast paced and action packed with strong world building and solid character development. Unfortunately, the Ripper
Stephen
I really, really wanted to be able to give this a full 5 stars. I mean, the concept is fantastic...pregnant werewolf facing down what could be Jack the Ripper who came through a dimensional portal from his Victorian England home.

Kelley Armstrong is a brilliant author, and usually her works are almost flawless. Unfortunately, this one dragged, a LOT. In the previous novel of this series, Haunted, there were a couple of chapters that felt like filler that left characters going in circles and avoid
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

Elena and Clay are back! In this installment of the Women of the Otherworld series Kelley Armstrong brings us back for a visit with Elena and Clay. Only now Elena is pregnant, pregnant and stir crazy with a couple of over protective werewolves watching over her, so when the opportunity for a "safe" adventure comes long she grabs it. Of course nothing is ever simple, and Elena's "safe" adventure leads to Jack the Ripper being unleashed on the streets once more, with the added bonus of his zombie
Wren | WrensReads
WrensReads

We are back to the pack!

First thing we learn? Elena and Clay are PREGNANT. That's a whole new thing. Since there has not been a known female werewolf besides Elena, there has never been a child with two people who have the blood of the wolves. Now there are. Elena doesn't know if she is able to actually carry a child to term, but they are going to find out because she is big and pregnant.

And Clay and Jeremy are crazy careful about everything. Need help carrying a chair to the patio? Do
Wendy Holcombe
I'm impressed by Kelley Armstrong's ability to change her style of writing to match the character she is writing through.
However, I was disappointed in this book. I think it may be because I don't like Elena's character as much as the other Women of the Otherworld. Also, the story line was very predictable.
Since Elena used to be a reporter I did not understand why during their investigation she didn't pick up on obvious clues.
I'm also disturbed by how little she seems to be aware of her own bod
Jennifer (Bad Bird Reads)
From http://readingandwritingurbanfantasy....

At a Glance
I did enjoy reading Broken, but I feel like it was a filler book. It really wasn't needed to move the series along. But I was excited to get another story about Elena and Clay.

The Good
We finally get another book with Elena and Clay. They are my favorite characters in this series. I loved them in Bitten and Stolen, which are the best books in the series so far. And I loved them in this book as well. Elena is 5 months pregnant. Being the onl
Katie Michaels
Kelley Armstrong returns to her Otherworld roots, in this sixth installment of her series... by bringing back Elena as her narrator. We've only seen sporadic glimpses of our favorite werewolf over the course of the last few books. Those cameos were enough to assure us that she and Clay were going strong. And now they're closer than ever... Elena is pregnant.

Of course, she's a bit worried. After all, she's the only female werewolf, making her pregnancy unprecedented. But on top of her concerns, s
Kat
Basic Plot: Elena and the pack accidentally unleash Jack the Ripper and must close the portal that let him into modern Toronto before the city falls to cholera, plague rats, and old-fashioned murder.

The fact that Elena was pregnant throughout the novel made the plot a bit more interesting than even the general plot suggests, which should have been damned interesting on its own. Jack the Ripper is one of those fascinatingly macabre bits of history that tends to pull in an audience that might have
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
It's been a while since I've read the Otherworld series, and I'm finding myself a bit at odds.

I love (love, LOVE) the characters and their relationships/interactions. About 50% of the time I also love the plot. The other 50% of the time . . . not so much. Saying that I find (some of) them to be over-told or tired seems too strong, but it's also kind of the truth. I called Stolen the best retelling of The Most Dangerous Game that I'd come across. And that's true. But did I like The Most Dangerou
Yodamom
(Audio) Ahhhhh, Clay and Elana are pregnant ! Extra Alpha Clay is the hovering dad to be of the century. Really he gets a gold metal for it. Too bad Elena is not on the same thought wave. She wants adventure and excitement. Her pregnancy is new to all, female were's are extremely rare and there is no records of pregnancy. So, along comes what seems a simple easy case to take the edge off, but with all things supernatural nothing is easy Elena had me screaming at her to "just let it go, take care ...more
kelly
Jun 08, 2010 kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was fairly disappointed with this installment in the Otherworld series; I missed the action and excitement that usually seems to follow Elena. I found Broken had wayy too many references to Elena's pregnancy (I got that her stomach was getting in the way the first couple times it was mentioned; I didn't need to keep having that fact shoved in my face). The absence of Clay's sarcastic dialogue (with whomever was annoying him), and his frequent temper tantrums had me forgetting that he was a con ...more
Cindy
Oct 22, 2015 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy this series and am glad to get back to the werewolves. This one finds Elena very pregnant. The pack is approached to retrieve a document. It turns out that this document is the infamous 'From Hell' letter believed to be written by Jack the Ripper. Events conspire so that the pack is left to deal with not only Jack, but also unkillable zombies, a vampire, a sorcerer, and a few other wee beasties that are best left for the reader to discover. Just some light Halloween reading. :)
ROSE
Jul 04, 2011 ROSE rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-urbaine
Quasiment un 5/5.
Certes l'intrigue est peut-être quelque peu moins "prenante" que dans d'autres tomes, mais le travail sur les personnages est vraiment superbe.
J'ai particulièrement aimé le rôle de Jaime et l'apparition de Zoé la vampire.
Quel plaisir, également, de retrouver notre meute de loup, et une Elena quelque peu "gênée" par son tout nouveau corps !!!
Bref : ça se lit, ça se dévore, et ça donne envie de lire la suite.
Mmme Armstrong est définitivement une des auteures phare d'ubran fantasy
Pam Baddeley
This is the second of the author's werewolf books I've read - I read Stolen some years ago but can't recall a lot about it, so I didn't have background knowledge of any of the characters.

In this, the protagonist, Elena, is heavily pregnant which is a great event as she is the only known female werewolf. Her partner, Clay, and pack leader Jeremy, are both very solicitous to the point where they are driving her stir crazy. So to relieve the boredom, she persuades them to fulfill a commission to st
Sandy
Nov 02, 2011 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BROKEN by Kelley Armstrong-a review

BROKEN is the 6th novel in Kelley Armstrong’s Women of the Otherworld series. BROKEN continues the story of Elena, Clay and the other werewolves, but this time Elena is pregnant. As the only known female werewolf, Elena isn’t sure what to expect—literally. But when someone from her past calls in a favor, Elena knows this could be her final chance for adventure, before giving birth.

Ever since Elena Michaels discovered she was pregnant, she has been unable to con
Laurie - The Baking Bookworm
I have long been a fan of Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Underworld series. Armstrong's strength lies in her ability to create amazing visuals of her urban fantasy world. She also has strong female characters, an interesting premise in that the protagonist changes with each book featuring a different supernatural woman. That said, not all of her books are created equal and this one fell flat for me.

This is my second time reading this book (I'm re-reading the entire series slowly) so going in al
Celine
Part six in the extremely diverse Women of the Otherworld series, Broken is sad to say, not the best one.

Elena, only known female werewolf, is pregnant of werewolf boyfriend Clay. This makes her more vulnerable, having to rely on her Pack to protect her. When they are sent to Toronto on Pack business, they get tangled up in supernatural troubles, including rampaging Victorian serial killers, a bunch of long-extinct diseases and a multi-dimensional portal spitting out zombies. The Pack can use e
Suzan
Feb 02, 2012 Suzan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
I love this book, one of my favourites of the series as I love how it incorporates the 'Jack The Ripper' legend giving it supernatural twists! I loved Elena being pregnant and the issues she had being a werewolf! I'm sure most women would be jealous that she gets to shave 3 months of her pregnancy term.
I loved Jaime coming into it as well and being brought face to face with her biggest fear - what she can expect in later life if she isn't careful using her abilities - namely the madness of Tee.
A very pregnant Elena is going stir crazy and wants out of the house. When a contact calls and offers her a deal - the location of a mutt (which is generally a Werewolf who is not in a pack and who hunts man)for the retrieval of the Jack the Ripper "From Hell" letter - Elena jumps at the chance. She manages to convince Clay and the Alpha Jeremy and they are off to her old stomping grounds in Toronto.

Of course nothing is ever as easy as it seems and nothing is exactly as it seems either. A tiny
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
This one had my guessing nearly the entire time. After a while, I was determined I knew who the culprit was, but kept waffling on it. I just couldn't make up my mind! But once it was revealed, apparently, I was right all along.

I couldn't believe that Elena was pregnant for this book. However, I was extremely happy that Elena and Clay were finally happy and secure in their relationship. It was so cute how Clay and Jeremy kept doting on her and she kept getting frustrated with them. I have missed
Loren Harway
Sep 13, 2007 Loren Harway rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of this author
Once more Armstrong scores points for hilariousness, gore and sex rolled into one great novel.
However as i have previously pointed out she seems to be heading for a more diluted kind of story (the staple of this series are the werewolves and she doesn't deem it necessary to concentrate on them as much as she used to).
For the second book she deviated from the werewolves trend and it seemed to be good but for the this book she looks at zombies for the antagonists.
Come on. Zombies? Really?
Okay sh
Yolanda Sfetsos
Aimee
So...I wanted to give this one 4 stars. But Elena and Clay are one of my favorite couples. I missed them so much through the previous 3 books that I had to give it the extra star! It was like a family reunion foe me!

But seriously, I think Kelley Armstrong should have stuck with the werewolf aspect of this series. I can't seem to get into the others in this series as much as Elena's books. I still prefer Bitten and Stolen to this one. But this is still a vast improvement on the last few.

I still
Vampires, Weres a...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Broken (WotO 6) 11 12 Sep 10, 2016 12:42PM
babies names 13 56 Nov 21, 2012 10:39AM
  • Kitty's House of Horrors (Kitty Norville, #7)
  • Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2)
  • Blood Challenge (World of the Lupi, #7)
  • Prey (Shifters, #4)
  • Firestorm (Weather Warden, #5)
  • Pure Blood (Nocturne City, #2)
  • Kissing Sin (Riley Jenson Guardian #2)
  • Dates From Hell (The Hollows, #2.5; Otherworld Stories, #5.2)

More about Kelley Armstrong...

Women of the Otherworld (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1)
  • Stolen (Women of the Otherworld, #2)
  • Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #3)
  • Industrial Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #4)
  • Haunted (Women of the Otherworld, #5)
  • No Humans Involved (Women of the Otherworld, #7)
  • Personal Demon (Women of the Otherworld, #8)
  • Living with the Dead (Women of the Otherworld, #9)
  • Frostbitten (Women of the Otherworld, #10)
  • Waking the Witch (Women of the Otherworld, #11)

“We scarified a mosquito. I bet that's what did it. It was probably a virgin too.” 123 likes
“I moved up beside Jamie."I have to go."
She frowned at me. "Where?"
I pressed a hand to the bottom of my belly. "My bladder.It-"
Ah." She gave a small laugh. "We interrupt this life-or-death situation for a pregnancy pee break. Don't see that in the movies, do you?”
78 likes