Start by marking “Gruffen (The Dragons of Wayward Crescent, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gruffen (The Dragons of Wayward Crescent, #1)

Gruffen (The Dragons of Wayward Crescent #1)

When Lucy suspects there's a 'monster' in her bedroom, her mum knows exactly what to do. Liz makes a guard dragon, Gruffen, to look after her....
Published March 4th 2010 by Orchard Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Gruffen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gruffen

Steven R. McEvoy
Nov 22, 2015 Steven R. McEvoy rated it it was amazing
Just finished this with my son. He is loving the series, and always asking for one more chapter.
...
Full review to follow
...
I have had a number of Chris D'Lacey's books on my shelf for a while now. It really is my loss that I have not read them sooner. On a positive note there are numerous books by him for me yet to read. The greatest thing about the books in the Dragons of Wayward Crescent series is how much my children love them and how much I enjoy them. They are great reads for the whole fami
Bridget R. Wilson
For those of you acquainted with Chris D'Lacey's Last Dragon Chronicles (The Fire Within, Icefire, Fire Star, The Fire Eternal, Dark Fire), Gruffen will be an absolute delight. Herein, we have Gruffen's story. You remember him--the guard dragon? Prior to David's introduction to the Pennykettle household, we discover why Liz created Gruffen and why he has his quirks.

What I thought: A quick read that will introduce younger readers to the Pennykettles and their dragons. The illustrations add charm
Bill Tillman
A wonderful tale as a short story, a real gem. Don't miss Chris d'Lacey's other fine dragon books and the sequel to this one 'Gauge'.
April
Feb 13, 2017 April rated it liked it
Shelves: for-kids
cute
Read2review
Dec 30, 2011 Read2review rated it it was amazing
** For the full review please check out www.read2review.com **

Each story in this series is exceptionally written, full of magic and adventure. It is clear how much care and love the author has put into these books. Each book is titled after the dragon featured in the book. Therefore we learn more about the magic of the dragons as each dragon name begins with a G. The other thing I love is that the books themselves if you keep them together spell the dragon’s magic word on their spine… HRRR!

Gruf
Terry
Young Reader Reaction: My boys adored "the dragon book." They also liked the bat, because, similarly, the bat in the book was, appropriately, a heroine, not a scary creature. We read this book many times.

Adult Reader Reaction: I loved this book. I am a biologist by training, and I loved that the book promoted nature education, conservation, etc. in a fun yet well-researched manner. I loved that the dragon and the bat were "good guys", not bad creatures. Unlike many dragon-themed books, the drago
Dec 12, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Well, this was a nice little story, but I can’t say that I’m too sad that it is the last one in the series. I was unsure for a while as to whether Lucy’s monster would actually turn out to be real; after all there are dragons and unicorns in this series!
It was interesting to see how Gruffen came into being anyway and that he got his name because it was the first ‘word’ he said. What I found interesting about this book (and Grabber) was that d’Lacey really emphasised the way in which the dragons
Shannon McGee
Apr 29, 2009 Shannon McGee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, dragons
This is a cute introduction to the dragons of Chris D'Lacey's The Last Dragon Chronicles. The book takes place before The Last Dragon Chronicles first book, The Fire Within, and features Liz Pennykettle and her young daughter Lucy. Lucy is afraid there is a monster in her bedroom, and her mother soothes her fears by making a special guard dragon named Gruffen. Like all the Pennykettle dragons, this dragon comes to life, but only for Lucy, her mother, or when no one is watching. As for Gruffen, h ...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
When Lucy Pennykettle believes that there's a monster in her bedroom, her mom knows just what to do. She makes her a guard dragon named Gruffen. Lucy's mom is great at making clay dragons, which adorn their house and are sold to buyers. Gruffen isn't just a clay dragon, he's more than that. Gruffen is a guardian dragon and his most important duty is protecting Lucy at night from the monster in her room. He was made with a special ingredient, ice that has a touch of magic. Gruffen is a real littl ...more
Megan Higginson
Mar 09, 2016 Megan Higginson rated it really liked it
Lucy Pennykettle believes that there is a monster in her bedroom. Many children do. I had some that lived under my bed as a child. But I did not have a mum like Lucy's. I don't think many do. Lucy's mum knew what was needed. She created Gruffen the guard dragon. The only thing is... can Gruffen work out what is really going on... and in time?

This story had surprises hiding around every corner. Many children would recognise the fear that comes when there are strange shadows appearing on the wall
Katieb (MundieMoms)

Heidi
Aug 04, 2010 Heidi rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Grades 2-4
Shelves: juv-fiction, series
This story is about a 9 year old girl named Lucy Pennykettle who believes there is a flying monster that comes every night to her bedroom window. To help protect her daughter, Elizabeth Pennykettle (Lucy's mother) makes a dragon out of clay. In order to make the dragon come to life, Elizabeth places a tiny bit of ice from a magical snowball on the dragon's snout. Gruffen is now alive and will need to become a guard dragon for Lucy. But, is the monster really a monster? Or, is it something else? ...more
Kelley
Apr 21, 2014 Kelley rated it really liked it
Very cute story. It starts out with a little girl upset that a monster is in her room. Her mother, Liz, can find no evidence of anything upsetting her daughter. Liz comes up with a great solution to their problem. A very special secret lives at Lucy and Liz's house. Liz has the ability to make very special friends out of clay that come to life, dragons. Each dragon has a special talent or ability. This dragon, Gruffen, will be created to guard and protect Lucy. You will have to read the short st ...more
Koori no hi
Feb 16, 2012 Koori no hi rated it really liked it
Cute children's book. I picked it up because I love the The Last Dragon Chronicles Complete Set, Books 1 5: The Fire Within, Icefire, Fire Star, The Fire Eternal, And Dark Fire. It is written for small children but a good precursor to the more mature series (as Lucy is still pretty young in this herself)
Mari
Jan 31, 2012 Mari rated it liked it
Nine year old Lucy Pennykettle is afraid of a monster in her room, so her artist mother creates a guard dragon named Gruffen out of clay. He is a special dragon. . .one who after being "kilned" for 2 nights comes to life.

This is the kind of book I would give to a new-ish reader who likes fantasy books. The plot is gentle. There's a little excitement, but not too much. This is a solid 2nd grade read, but advanced 1st graders might like it as well.
Mar 04, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: kidlit
Silver Knight, 2012 (grade 3 list)
A mother and daughter pair are able to speak to dragons, and the mother can craft clay dragons into living creatures with special talents. When daughter Lucy gets scared of a "monster" who visits her room at night, her mom makes a guard dragon named Gruffen. Will he prove capable of conquering the monster? This is the first in a series of four books, each about a different dragon.
Jeanette Glazewski
Jan 27, 2014 Jeanette Glazewski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This book was a quick and fun read. I picked it up at the library so I could read it to my three year old. Even though it was a chapter book, she still enjoyed listening to it. She loves dragons more then anyone I know, so not surprised. I enjoyed it so much myself because it is well written and highly addictive, I went and picked up the rest of these authors books. Great read for dragon lovers young and old.
Helen
Jun 01, 2013 Helen rated it it was amazing
Since my daughter was born in the Chinese year of the Dragon, we've developed a fondness for dragon tales. This one is a charming little story, and a really easy read. I got through it in one sitting. Anyone who knows me will tell you that this is unheard of. Of course, it is a children's story, but still. I won't say anything about the content for fear of spoilers, but it was a story that I, as an adult, could fully appreciate - the message is a universal one.
Highly recommend.
Kate
It is a perfect introduction to THE LAST DRAGON CHRONICLES. It gives just enough information but doesnt give too much away so that the children can read the Chronicles after these books if they wanted to and there would be a new and exciting world.

The dragon featured in this story is totally adorable. I love all the other characters too but the dragons just bring magic and life to the stories.

I am looking forward to the other three books in this series!
James Maxon
Sep 29, 2014 James Maxon rated it really liked it
Read this to my 5-year-old daughter for her school minutes (she picked it out at the library). It's kinda cute, and she wants me to read her the next one in the series. I would have liked more direct dialogue from the dragon, Gauge, rather than a narrative describing what he said (it's more fun to read that way). And having the mother's name Liz while the daughter's is Lucy (two "L" names) got a little confusing at times. But overall, a fun and clean story for younger children.
Marc Lucke
Jan 03, 2014 Marc Lucke rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I wasn't optimistic about this book and found myself pleasantly surprised: the young female protagonist is clever without being annoyingly pretentious; it features a single-parent family in a completely normalized, non-judgmental manner; the dragons are cute but not entirely defanged... all in all, I'm optimistic about where this series is going.
Alea
Sep 21, 2013 Alea rated it liked it
This was a really cute book. The kind of low rating is mostly because it is a childrens book, but for a childrens book it was really good. So I did like it, but I'm not over thrilled about it. I will read the rest of the serie too, and probably the Last dragon chronicles too. The dragons were really cute, and I want to read more about them :)
Kristi
Aug 16, 2012 Kristi rated it really liked it
Promising first to a series - my 6 y.o. son is very interested in seeking out the rest now. Who doesn't love the idea of friendly & protective house dragons that Mum whips out of her clay studio and then brings to life with a refrigerated snowball?!
Creative & well-written for the middle-reader crowd.
Shannon
Mar 04, 2010 Shannon rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
This book would make a great primary chapter book read-aloud, but I don't know what other market it would fill. Bright young readers are probably way past this simple of a book by the time they're into dragons, and the vocabulary (plus the British lingo) is a bit beyond my intermediate struggling readers.
Kristen
This was a very cute & charming early chapter book about a woman & her daughter who live with little ceramic dragons who come alive and help around the house. Gruffen is a new dragon who was made to protect the daughter from a "monster" whose shadowy figure flits around her bedroom at night. The "monster" turns out to be a friendly bat looking for a nice bat box to roost in.
Joenna
Jan 21, 2010 Joenna rated it really liked it
Lucy thinks there is a monster lurking outside her bedroom window, so her mother makes a dragon out of clay to protect her while she sleeps.

A really cute first chapter series with a magical element.
Bonmedo Tambunan
Jan 24, 2010 Bonmedo Tambunan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Beautifully written Children's book :) Simple, yet richly imaginative. It brings the fantasy to life even though the story is only contained within 104 pages and that is with huge font and spaces :) It gave me an enjoyable 30 minutes break full of smile, in the middle of my busy schedule.
Kathleen
Read this one to my kids. We liked Gruffen, silly Mr. Bacon and Hattie. The concept of dragons was not something we've read in many books. I asked if they wanted to read the next dragon book and their response was minimal...we'll see.
Ashley Smith
Feb 26, 2016 Ashley Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
If you love reading about The Dragons of Wayward Crescent, then you're going to love reading Gruffen. It tells of how Lucy's guard dragon, Gruffen comes to life and his first assignment.

A cute and fun read, this little book is good for the dragon lover in you.
Cindy
Sep 05, 2009 Cindy rated it really liked it
Very cute little kids book. I like the introduction to dragons and having this cute imaginary world between mother and daughter.

Of course it wasn't something that older people will find really appealing but for kids very nice way to solve problems.

Can't wait to see the other books.
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • Alien in My Pocket: Blast Off!
  • The Scarlet Dragon (The Kingdom of Wrenly, #2)
  • The Dragon of Lonely Island
  • Operation Bunny (Wings & Co, #1)
  • Spunky Tells All
  • Earwig and the Witch
  • Tales of Bunjitsu Bunny (Bunjitsu Bunny #1)
  • The Sword Guest (Dragon's Pupils, #1)
  • Never Swim in Applesauce (Roscoe Riley Rules, #4)
  • The Dragon of the Dolomites
  • Catwitch
  • The Snow Spider Trilogy
  • Ferno The Fire Dragon (Beast Quest, #1)
  • The Sorcerer’s Quest (The Sorcerer’s Saga, #1)
  • How to Scratch a Wombat: Where to Find It . . . What to Feed It . . . Why It Sleeps All Day
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • The Big One-Oh
He was born in Valetta, Malta, but as a child moved first to Leicester and then to Bolton. After gaining a degree in biology from the University of York, he returned to Leicester and got a job at the University of Leicester in their Pre-Clinical Sciences department.
Originally his writing was confined to songs and he didn't turn to fiction until he was 32. His first piece of work was a 250,000 word
More about Chris d'Lacey...

The Dragons of Wayward Crescent (4 books)
  • Gauge (The Dragons of Wayward Crescent, #2)
  • Glade (The Dragons of Wayward Crescent, #3)
  • Grabber (The Dragons of Wayward Crescent, #4)