Start by marking “Raveling” as Want to Read:
Raveling

Raveling

Psychotherapist Katherine DeQuincy is torn between two brothers: handsome, successful Eric Airie and Pilot, her haunted, schizophrenic patient. Especially when Pilot begins telling her secrets only he knows and only he can share...

"I AM OMNISCIENT".

Allowing herself to fall in love with Eric and trying to save Pilot, Katherine grapples with the mystery the two brothers have
Published September 1st 2001 by Vision (first published July 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Raveling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raveling

Heather *live on coffee & flowers*
A little draggy in parts, but I love the narration style, and I love Pilot. I wish this author had more books.
Robert Beveridge
Jan 24, 2008 Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it
Peter Moore Smith, Raveling (Little, Brown, 2000)

Acclaimed short story writer Peter Moore Smith turns his talents to novel writing, and Raveling is his debut offering. It's been received with, to be kind, mixed reviews, probably because it's a genre novel-- but what genre it is is somewhat elusive.

Pilot Airie is a diagnosed schizophrenic whose mental problems started after the abduction of his little sister twenty years before. His mother Hannah, who's almost as neurotic as Pilot is, has started
Jennifer - The Book Admirer
Raveling by Peter Moore Smith is about two brothers, Eric a doctor and Pilot a schizophrenic. Eric and Pilot's sister disappeared 20 years ago and Pilot is convinced that Eric killed her and hid her body somewhere, throughout the novel Pilot is trying to convince this to his psychotherapist Katherine and anyone else who will listen. I found the story to be gripping and suspenseful, after I read the ending and found out what happened to their sister I was sickened and still thinking about it days ...more
Carmen8094
Aug 16, 2014 Carmen8094 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romanzi-e-saggi
Pilot è uno schizofrenico - o, almeno, questo è quello che dicono i medici -.
Non è stato più lo stesso da quando, vent'anni prima, la sorellina Fiona scomparve misteriosamente durante un party in piscina.
Pilot continua a vedere la piccola col suo costumino rosso, continua a rivivere quella giornata, con l'assoluta certezza di sapere qualcosa che non vuole saperne di uscire fuori dalla sua testa.
Ma chi crederebbe a uno schizofrenico?
Chi preferirebbe dare adito alle sue parole, piuttosto che a que
Barbara Elsborg
May 27, 2012 Barbara Elsborg rated it really liked it
I think this has to be the most unusual suspense novel I've ever read. I'm so used to straight forward points of view and it takes a well to get into the very strange POV of this story, but it's well worth perservering. The tale is largely told through the POV of Pilot - who is psychologically fragile. His family have become unraveled after the disappearance of Pilot young sister. Pilot's older brother is now a neuro surgeon. Their father has left home and started a new life elswhere. Their moth ...more
Erin
Aug 04, 2008 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I don't know how to review this book. I finished it, I didn't hate it. But I didn't love it either. The plot was strong enough to make me want to finish it, and I was happy with the ending, but it was a bit of a weird book.

I think it could have been a bit shorter, and I really didn't enjoy how the writer would make his characters repeat themselves or interrupt themselves when speaking. I realize he probably did it to make it more realistic, but it was just annoying. "I know that, that you wante
Barbara
Some of the reviews I read here said this book dragged which almost made me reconsider reading it but thank goodness I didn't let those reviews deter me from reading this page turner! Yes, page turner! This is one fabulous novel, in my opinion. So many delusional personalities fighting through the grief of losing a child and not finding the missing child's body leaving nagging questions unanswered.
If you like psychological suspense with shocking events that leave you wondering, then this is the
Bria
Aug 31, 2015 Bria rated it it was amazing
Ever read a book that makes you want to go back and lower your ratings for other books you've read in the same genre because the book you just finished was really the kind of book you were looking for all along?

I do now.

Great unreliable narrator that keeps you thrilled and confused until the very last paragraph. Also the author does a great job by keeping this a true psychological thriller and doesn't reveal every single little thing. This book takes some thinking and overall you're left wonderi
Erik M
Nov 05, 2014 Erik M rated it it was amazing
It has its problems, sure, but what a fascinating story and, perhaps more importantly, a fascinating way to TELL a story. It's dark and sad and lonely, so don't read this if you've been in the dumps recently. So far as suspense novels or mysteries are concerned, this one has quite a lot going for it.

Young parents be warned: you know a little girl disappears from the start. It doesn't get any easier from there.
Ashley Riggs
Oct 12, 2015 Ashley Riggs rated it really liked it
There were some technical flaws such as Katheryn being someone with a masters degree in psych, there were a lot of questions she asked Lennox that she literally would have never got her license to counsel for without knowing. However, for the purpose of explaining certain terms and concepts to readers, it was kinda necessary, I guess. I enjoyed this book. Great psychological thriller!
Tyler Mcpotatolovin
Oct 03, 2011 Tyler Mcpotatolovin rated it it was amazing
My absolute favorite novel ever written. I read it my freshman year in high school. I was always intersted in people with mental problems like pilot had, and this book made me want to become a psychologist. I never like to re-read novels. Captain Underpants excluded. I can easily re-read this book many seperate times. I LOVE this book
Clashton
Jan 11, 2014 Clashton rated it it was ok
I found this book over-long and somewhat irritating.

Think of a script for one of those bad crime/mystery dramas on the Lifetime channel, and you capture a great deal of the book.

What is different is that the story is told from the point of view of a character who may or may not be omniscient, and who may or may not be schizophrenic/psychotic, but that eventually becomes tiresome.
Martha Scannell
Mar 11, 2010 Martha Scannell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This masterfully written novel takes you on a gripping journey of Pilot, who suffers schizophrenia since the unsolved disappearance of his sister over twenty years ago. The reader wonders at times if Pilot's thoughts are reality or imagined simply due to his psychotic breaks. It is suspenseful page-turner right up to the riveting end.
Annie
Apr 20, 2012 Annie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I don't remember too much but I did write "really, really good" next to it so...it must have been. I do remember hearing about it from a famous actress who's brother had written it? will have to check this out :)
Kira
Jun 25, 2013 Kira rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I'd give this 2 1/2 stars. It was written from an omniscient POV which was weird because it was also Pilot's POV and he wasn't in every scene. Almost everything the therapist Katherine did was unethical which bothered me. The ending wasn't all that surprising.
April
Feb 19, 2010 April rated it did not like it
I didn't like this book at all & don't know why I felt compelled to finish it. Some relationships/storylines weren't developed enough, & the back & forth between characters bothered me. As a whole, the book seemed disjointed to me.
Stefania Phoenix
Apr 17, 2014 Stefania Phoenix rated it really liked it
a mesmerising read
C. Miles
Jan 13, 2012 C. Miles rated it it was ok
I would truthfully give this 2.5 stars if I could because I liked it, but it was somewhat simplistic. At the end of the day, it was a decent easily read fiction.
Okie
Feb 09, 2011 Okie rated it liked it
Shelves: stand-alone
I found this an interesting look into the mind of grief & insanity. I really enjoyed the first person narrative, and the gradual movement towards the truth of the situation.
Ann
Aug 10, 2008 Ann rated it really liked it
This is a somewhat twisted, but pretty good mystery.
Chelsea
Jan 10, 2015 Chelsea rated it really liked it
Was a little slow, but still a decent read.
Nancy Job
superb fiction !
LolitaMarie
Jul 20, 2015 LolitaMarie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely wonderful and twisted.
Debbie
May 06, 2012 Debbie added it
Started slow but picked up and I couldn't put it down
Lisa Costanzo
Oct 16, 2013 Lisa Costanzo rated it it was amazing
Soooo good.
Kristine Muslim
Dec 26, 2011 Kristine Muslim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lush and engaging.
Lauren Bergers
Jun 08, 2011 Lauren Bergers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was absolutely mind-blowing. It reminded me a lot of "The Lovely Bones" in some ways.
Gina
May 18, 2008 Gina rated it it was amazing
Honestly, still the best fiction book I have ever read.
Christina Gillespie
Apr 18, 2013 Christina Gillespie rated it liked it
Good mystery and unique plot but I wish the characters were more flushed out.
Montserrat
Montserrat rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2009
  • Darkness Peering
  • Hoopi Shoopi Donna
  • Dreams of Sleep
  • Under the Glass Moon, Vol. 1
  • The Passion (Devoncroix Dynasty, #1)
  • Salt
  • The Barbarians are Coming
  • My Drowning
  • The Wainscott Weasel
  • Grace at Low Tide
  • The Sound of Us
  • Miss Lizzie (Miss Lizzie, #1)
  • Awake